Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some reverse image searching indicates that those are special forces, which means they probably have the suppressors on to show off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The uncensored video is here if you don't mind seeing the guy get blasted so hard he ends up in the air ricocheting off the doorframe. I don't think anyone's taken that many bullets since Bonnie & Clyde.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is "wall of gunfire" not a viable tactic?

I'm more impressed by how not only did the shield guy try his hardest to run in front of as many of his buddies as he could, they kept shooting as the terrorist ran between them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

wonder how many of those dudes were making GBS threads their pants thinking maybe homeboy sprinting at em had a bombvest queued up

Not enough to avoid shooting directly at the vest. Pause it as he falls as you see that their pistols are aimed dead center on his chest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I believe the SWAT-type guys doing the raid there were from a mixture of units that are variously under the National Police and Ministry of the Interior, including some guys exclusive to Paris and some guys brought in from other cities. I don't think France has a true equivalent to American SWAT, where each town can get its own paramilitary unit.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

What's going on with the end of that barrel in the last picture? It looks it would direct all the flash up.

That's a standard AKM compensator. The AK climbs up and to the right under full auto fire, so the Soviets just made a roughly slant-cut screw-on device that redirects it. It apparently works very well compared to nothing at all and is extremely inexpensive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think this is the first new tank footage from Syria of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h73W7CYuo04

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

not caring here posted:

Disband the entire unit.

Why? They're not in front of the Xbone display.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Duke Chin posted:

Did you see the (I forget, was it Iran or more Peshmerga?) ambushing ISIS twats in the canyon with a ton of tracer fire and a casual RPG blast? It's short'n'sweet but would definitely fall under the same umbrella of "a fun watch".

It was such a chill "weeeeelp, gonna load me ol' RPG... alright now we're gonna aim aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand [FWAAAAWOOOOOOOM-BOOM]"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIn4Bca2dA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Destro posted:

I like their method of carrying him at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAcsN8akfW4&t=184s

Just pointing out that's a somewhat older video, and he's FSA. Not ISIS.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I saw a video a few months ago of one of those homemade guns. There was a little dunk on camera as the shell crashed through the wall of the building. Wait a few seconds, and then the whole top half of the building explodes and/or falls off.

Edit: I wasn't going to, but I watched the entire video and all of you should do the same. The whole thing is just literally the most insane combat ever put into 1080p. At 3:18 you see the magic of someone trying to blindfire a PKM over the top of a wall.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 25, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

stuxracer posted:

I watched it last night - that ladder with blood all over it. Guessing it was not fun to be first up that. Tons of one-handed blind fire by people on the ladder as well.

One guy was shooting his AKMS while he climbed. Not even looking at where his gun was pointed, just squeezing the trigger while climbing up.

Best was the guy trying to blindfire the PKM and then shaking his head after he picks the gun up. And then trying to one-hand it on the ladder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you got a real low bar for insane combat vids tbqh

There's a lot of crazier ones, but they were all taken on Syrian potatoes and held by cameramen with Parkinson's.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Taser test.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

When I used to work at a bombing range they had a stun gun stashed in the base of the tower for whatever reason. Of course this was the same installation where guys kept personal firearms unlocked in their offices.

You're actually living in an RPG and found some beginner loot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

Apparently King Abdullah of Jordan's been bombing ISIS himself, and is gonna keep doing so.

I'm going to admit that when I saw this pic, I initially thought it was a set photo of Col. Quaritch from Avatar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abdullah actually did military service for real. He joined the British Army after getting his expensive Western education and was the commander of the Jordanian Special Forces in the 90s. He became Major General by the time he was 36, so you can assume some serious nepotism/rear end-kissing because of him being a prince.

He's a good king, most things considered, and has generally been beneficial to Jordan; his regime has mostly been marked by the nation expanding human rights, liberalizing the economy and politics, and becoming wealthier. There's just very little chance that the man has ever been in the seat of a bomber, let alone personally leading strikes against terrorism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

Supposedly Harry is a really loving good Apache pilot and overall leader.

There's an interview where the scramble call suddenly came up and he immediately dropped the interview and ran off to his chopper.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PainterofCrap posted:

Are those weapons the nasty-rear end French machine guns that jammed all the time due to the open magazines?

And the ones made by Gladiator literally had the sights out of alignment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thump! posted:

Well, they weren't in service for very long, they were replaced by BARs shortly before the war ended. It was kind of one of those situations where a lovely MG was better than no MG.

Actually, most of the American servicemen who got issued them dumped them as soon as they got a chance. They'd literally rather just grab a Springfield and remove any automatic rifleman function from their squad than put their lives on it.

See, the original Chauchat is pretty lovely but the American one was worse. They just started building them in .30-06 for the American forces that showed up late, but the gun was never really designed for such a long round and they incorrectly measured the chamber when converting the design. The guns could barely extract the casings without tearing them to shreds, which exacerbated the inherent problems in the design (substandard manufacturing with cheap metal parts, the gun literally stopping when it overheated due to the barrel sleeve's design, etc.) until it would only reliably fire a short burst before jamming. And the gun was the kind where you'd likely need to disassemble it to fix it.

The only reason they were using a lovely redesign of a lovely gun was because the US Army had beef with Col. Isaac Newton Lewis, who made the famous Lewis Gun, after his political differences from the Chief of the Ordnance Department resulted in them blocking the adoption of his design purely out of spite. He sold it to the British instead, and they made it popular. The Marines landing in France were actually given Lewis Guns....which were promptly taken away and replaced with Chauchats just because of General Crozier's personal hatred of the guy. It was basically a preview of the whiny piss-baby antics surrounding the M16.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kavak posted:

Anyone know why they didn't develop anything like the BAR or Lewis gun? Was it a doctrine conflict or something?

They did! The difference is that they wanted something that could be used in close quarters trench combat and thus invented the submachine gun. The BAR, Chauchat, and Lewis Gun were more traditional LMGs: they could be fired from the shoulder while standing and fired from the hip while advancing on a position, but they were best used deployed on a bipod to provide accurate suppressing fire. The relatively small size and light weight made it easier for one or two guys to haul the gun quickly from position to position, but it was still bulky as poo poo.

The closest the Germans came to a SAW was the MG 08/15.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guys, I have some bad news. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7902742/India-ends-goose-stepping-ceremony-after-soldiers-knee-injuries.html

quote:

However, despite drawing vast crowds, encouraged by officials of both sides who built amphitheatres for viewing, a senior officer in India's Border Security Force told The Daily Telegraph it was an "undignified" ceremony which caused mental strain and physical injury to the troops.

"Both sides had indulged in aggressive postures of late. It didn't give a very good look, so we talked to the Pakistan Rangers and after a mutual agreement, some of the aggressive postures have been toned down during the drill," said Inspector General Himmat Singh.
"In many cases the soldiers hurt their feet during the Beating the Retreat ceremony. The soldiers are happy now, it was an unnecessary mental tension," he added.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I looked this up. That's OMON (Russian SWAT equivalent) ambushing a kidnapper who had negotiated for a getaway car.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

Suposedly it's actually a Kazakh Spetnaz training exercise.

Yeah, from what I've seen it was just a training exercise/public demonstration of a hostage rescue. No word on exactly why their method was to use a pole to hurl a bomb in through the window beyond "Spetsnaz."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only problem is that the unique cylinder arrangement means it takes ages to be reloaded through a side gate and it has a lovely, stupidly heavy trigger pull.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

not caring here posted:

Hahahaha, gently caress it, that's still pretty cool.

I've never shot one, but it's the only double action with a loading gate I'd ever seen before.

There were a bunch of them in the 19th century, when countless gun companies rose and fell within years and made weird poo poo or blatantly copied each other and the major guys like Colt and Smith & Wesson were still kinda experimental. Like Colt made a double-action gun that was basically just a lower caliber version of the Single Action Army, which had lovely and fragile internals that broke quickly under regular use. They even made double-action percussion revolvers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ded posted:

does this dude own a gun store or something? how does he get ahold of all these guns

He's gotten SHOT Show invites and he worked/is working on something with Jerry Miculek, so the guy has actual cred and works with a team rather than being one crazy independent guy. He's probably like FPSRussia and has stuff rented, borrowed, or willingly loaned/given to him to use in videos.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spicy Guacamole posted:

:stare:

Skynet is just around the corner.

To make it even better, have an article about how we discovered how easily you can plug brains into a flight simulator and simply think how you want the plane to go. Or use a direct brain link to move robotic limbs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is why I've decided to proactively take a progressive stance regarding AI/robot rights and cybernetics: it's pretty loving likely I'll see it during my lifetime.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arrath posted:

An entire cartridge, no less.

Someone used it as a stake.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

It'd be cool as a novelty thing, like looking up how some bizarro gun functions with the xray mode or whatever, but beyond that...I can't even comprehend HOW you'd spend 300 hours in that during a lifetime. I can't imagine spending more than about 30 seconds on it at a time.

It's really neat if you want to see exactly how stuff is put together. But it's not the best for learning assembly/disassembly, because it lacks some of the detail for steps (like letting you remove something without clicking on each individual button and lever you need to fiddle with to unlock the parts) and forces you to do it in the prescribed fashion even if this means jumping between disassembling different sections at random.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Risket posted:

Blitzkreig as a tactic was very effective in Operation Barbarossa, and Patton's breakout from the Normandy beach head was effectively a copy of German offensive tactics. In addition, the only reason the Sherman was effective at all was numbers, and the fact that the Tigers were pretty unreliable.

The Sherman was a pretty decent tank, and also had good reliability. They were obviously helped greatly by being made in such numbers that the Germans simply couldn't compete with the size of the army (to the point where some American infantry units had more tanks than German Panzer units), but it's a myth that the Shermans were basically just disposable pieces of crap that only succeeded by being thrown en masse into Europe. The only tanks that totally outmatched the early Shermans were Tigers and Panthers (which had major issues with numbers and reliability, as well as other issues like slow turret traverse and a lack of unmagnified optics or periscope for the Panther gunner, which made it really hard for the gunners to spot targets on their own without really specific commands from the commander), and the models with bigger 76mm guns could take out a Tiger from any typical combat range. The Germans also suffered very heavily from poor armor manufacturing that caused virtually all models of their tanks -- Panzer IIIs to Panthers -- to suffer cracks from and popped welds even from non-penetrating shots, to the point where the on-paper armor thickness was lower than the actual effectiveness at protection.

Many of the myths about the vehicles came from non-tankers, who wouldn't have firsthand knowledge of how the actual fighting went and were stuck just observing whatever they could. All of the anecdotes of terrified soldiers seeing "invincible" Tigers and Panthers were people like common infantry and medics, while many tankers (especially Soviet ones) just viewed them as another tank, one that should be respected but was ultimately defeatable with proper tactics. Anecdotes and secondhand researchers have thus created the image of swarms of Shermans circling around individual Tigers and Panthers, sacrificing themselves until one of them makes a lucky kill shot through virtually impregnable armor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Wasn't a lot of that unreliability due to Jewish laborers sabotaging the poo poo out of them? I think I read in this farm some dude even carved his initials inside ones armor or something

From what I understand, sabotage wasn't as easy as it would have been for American manufacturing because German manufacturing techniques were slower; workers stayed with one vehicle through its building process, whereas on an assembly line in the US the workers stay at their station and do one task to each vehicle as it passes. In an American system you can gently caress up every vehicle that comes your way, but you have much lower sabotage volume in Germany.

I'll dig up the sources when I get home, but I found some very detailed descriptions of the German problems. They had poor armor quality control, likely due to inexperience in making and hardening such thick armor as that of the Tigers, and it was overly hardened until it became brittle. They also had lovely welds, which broke easily. But even early Soviet tests of Panzer IIIs found cracking problems, and tests finding cracked armor was consistent through the war years over multiple models. The Panthers had plenty of issues themselves, like the aforementioned lack of unmagnified gunner sights and the turret actually rotating backwards under gravity if on a steep enough slope. But the biggest problem was that the final drive for the Panthers was (for at least a few years) so badly flawed that it wouldn't even last a few hundred kilometers before being expected to fail.

Obviously, this meant that the Panthers weren't at battles as often as they should have been. They were also expensive to transport, as they were fragile enough to require vehicle or train transportation virtually everywhere to avoid straining the final drive too much. And a tank that isn't at the battle, even if it's better in some ways than the enemy tanks, is the worst tank of all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This article includes some links to primary sources detailing the issues with German armor manufacture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is my favorite Brazilian Stuart upgrade, the X1A:

90mm gun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hot Karl Marx posted:

So is sniping going to be like firing an ATGM in the future? Like you just keep your aim on the target and fire and the munition takes care of the rest?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm a civilian.

Only if the cost is driven down enough for it to be feasible to any country but the United States, because we literally hurl money at poo poo like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Godholio posted:

Laser-guided bullets? That's an interesting idea.

Because the 30mm variant would be loving baller.

This may be the only time where the Heavy's quote about the cost of firing Sasha is actually appropriate in context.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We've already got self-aiming guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBC8IFWC1P0

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

William Bear posted:

Also, Boko Haram militants often wear sandals for some reason. I bet they stub their toes a lot.

Sandals and flip-flops are really common in Africa, mainly because they're extremely easy and cheap to make compared to full on shoes or combat boots. There's been a lot of efforts to make and send very cheap sandals to Africa due to the sheer lack of shoes in developing nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MA-Horus posted:

It continually blows my loving MIND that those 70 year old AFVs get driven off of plinths and used in active loving combat zones after an oil change

Where the christ are they getting ammo for that SU100?

I know that when they resurrected an IS-3 in Ukraine, it was just used as a remote machine gun platform.

• Locked thread