Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slim Pickens posted:

If it's a SEAL on Op Red Wings, dude would look more like this.

I don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Godholio posted:

Alright, I'll step on the flaming bag of poo poo.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Let's break it down.

What was "the mig?" MiG is a loving company. That's like saying "the Boeing was good." For reference, nothing MiG has actually built since Vietnam has been groundbreaking or better than the stripped down & optionless version of its US counterpart. The MiG-21 was the last impressive thing they fielded, and it was quickly and decisively outclassed by everything the US was working on at the time. As far as the rest of the paragraph...no. Where did you hear that? I highly recommend you never ask that person a question again.

Your next paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

The tank statements are where you come closest to reality, because the end result you describe is actually pretty accurate. But the Panzers weren't top of the line for very long. They had serious shortcomings that actually make it debatable whether they ever were. But they were good early in the war. However, the role of the German tank is grossly overstated in American pop culture. Blitzkreig was a tactic of limited use. It was never a strategy, and it was only effective on a large scale once...and in that case, it was only because Germany blazed through the Low Countries' forests much faster than in any planners' nightmares (particularly France).
Blitzkreig as a tactic was very effective in Operation Barbarossa, and Patton's breakout from the Normandy beach head was effectively a copy of German offensive tactics. In addition, the only reason the Sherman was effective at all was numbers, and the fact that the Tigers were pretty unreliable.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

The second TOW kill in this video is pretty impressive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzvtDwafhY
These are the older TOW 1's because the warhead isn't firing from above the tank into the turret, right? Where are they getting these? Egypt?

Risket fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 5, 2015

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brown Moses posted:

TOW 2A/ BGM-71E-3Bs, details on them here and here. They've been given to vetted moderate opposition rebels, and also recently captured from those groups by Al Qaeda's Jabhat al-Nusra.
Well good to know we're not giving away our best stuff, just our still really good stuff. I would be interested to know who vetted this organization prior to their collapse, and what their criteria was.

Also, while watching these videos I've come to the conclusion that unless you're in an M1 Abrams, Leo2, Merkova, or a Challenger 2, it really sucks to be a tanker

• Locked thread