Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Breaking your face suuuuucks. However, now Reid can be rebuilt stronger and faster, like Anquan Boldin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gravel Gravy posted:

They could if they piggy back Lock Gays in the Closet with No Social Security for Osama bin Laden.

We've got two budgets and at least one (probably more than one) debt ceiling hike before 2016 onto which lovely stuff can be attached. If the CROmnibus is any indication, this is probably the game-plan for the stuff Republicans actually want to see passed that won't rock the boat too much and that Obama will let past if it's really must-pass legislation (Keystone XL, financial deregulation, Iranian sanctions, and the "let's show the public just how big government is" bills to name a few).

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
CNN - "The U.S. is imposing new sanctions on North Korea preventing its officials from accessing property and entering the United States."

Are there any NK officials that would actually keep property in the US? Do we regularly get visited by said officials?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gounads posted:

CNN - "The U.S. is imposing new sanctions on North Korea preventing its officials from accessing property and entering the United States."

Are there any NK officials that would actually keep property in the US? Do we regularly get visited by said officials?

We do get visited by swiss bankers where Nork elites keep their assets. Wonder if the sanctions will impact them and the drat Frenchies who keep letting Norks come to study.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Not to spend too much time on this, but it's definitely standard to cover reconstruction, the KKK, Jim Crow laws, and so forth. It's certainly not 100 years of missing race-relations, it's just glossed over enough that you probably won't get into something like convict leasing and the economic incentives of racist policy. It's also a period of time that also has to cover American industrialization and the rise or re-energization of the American labor and women's movements.

I think the larger problem with your standard K-12 history courses are that you are rarely asked to evaluate the impact that these things had on complex or controversial present-day situations, unless you have a really good teacher who is capable of taking some heat. I feel like the take-home that 15-year-old me got was something like "boy, we sure did suck, glad things are much better these days!" Not just in civil rights, but everywhere. "Good thing workers aren't exploited like that anymore!"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

disheveled posted:

I think the larger problem with your standard K-12 history courses are that you are rarely asked to evaluate the impact that these things had on complex or controversial present-day situations, unless you have a really good teacher who is capable of taking some heat. I feel like the take-home that 15-year-old me got was something like "boy, we sure did suck, glad things are much better these days!" Not just in civil rights, but everywhere. "Good thing workers aren't exploited like that anymore!"

Yeah that's definitely been my experience, before learning how hosed poo poo still is. For all the progress that can be made, it's incredibly easy to destroy, and once it's gone, it's like Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit; good luck trying to reverse it.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

disheveled posted:

Good thing workers aren't exploited like that anymore!

*waits for dad to get home 3 hours after school, in time for dinner right before mom's evening shift*

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the budget war calendar for 2015:

January 6: 114th Congress begins. John Boehner re-elected Speaker. (Or will he be!!!!)

January 20: State of the Union speech will almost certainly include Obama's funding priorities for the coming year.

February 2: Obama is supposed to submit a budget to Congress. He's missed the deadline every year so far, so it's not likely there will be a budget submitted by this date. Republicans will send out emails about how he's imperially defying the constitution, etc.

February 27: DHS funding runs out, unless Republicans come up with an immigration plan first. Spoiler: they will not!

March 15: Debt limit suspension expires. Obama mints a $1T platinum coin with Ron Paul's face on it.

April 1: The House Budget Committee under Paul Ryan usually released its budget resolutions by this date. Will the new Budget Committee until Tom Price follow suit?

October 1: The CRomnibus expires. Ted Cruz complains that Obama is shutting down the government because he doesn't like green eggs and ham. Veterans are unable to visit the WWII memorial, which is the only reason we have a federal government.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Cliff Racer posted:

Why would you want there to be less Greece and Rome? There might be too much Greece (sorry, Hellophiles, Greece is far less important than Rome to modern culture) but I think we get enough or possibly slightly too little Rome and not enough classical Europe. Military history is interesting, less time should be spent on how most of the wars were fought but more should be spent on what effects the wars had politically and socially. Because most all of them, even ones that tend to get skipped over (Spanish American War!) did have large effects on the country for a time. As I said, there's just too much poo poo to get through.

Oddly enough I spent a whole year (5th grade) learning about the other countries in the western hemisphere. I assume that was a 1990s Pennsylvania only thing?

computer parts posted:

At least from my experience, they have phased out all of the stuff people find tangential (Greek, Roman stuff) or at least it's not included in a class about US history. It also really depends which age group you're talking about though.

I was in high school only a couple years ago, And we never covered classical Greek or Roman history at all.

"World History" class started in the 1500s with the European Renaissance, and did not cover the history of any locations outside on Europe and North America, other than brief mentions in passing whenever they were being exploited or colonized by European powers.

I also took a sociology class that tried to pretend the whole thing was Durkheim and Weber and desperately bent over backwards trying to never, ever mention Marx or conflict theory.

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat
Thank goodness for Sarah Palin and social media. Hey everybody, here's my son stepping on the back of a lazy black animal to reach his goal, what's not to love?

Link to the darling Facebook post in question: https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin/posts/10152984579878588

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

April 1: The House Budget Committee under Paul Ryan usually released its budget resolutions by this date. Will the new Budget Committee until Tom Price follow suit?

Paul Ryan's still on the committee, right? It'll be out on time. Ryan won't miss a chance to hit the talk show circuit about his budget even if the committee doesn't have his name as chair these days.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

October 1: The CRomnibus expires. Ted Cruz complains that Obama is shutting down the government because he doesn't like green eggs and ham. Veterans are unable to visit the WWII memorial, which is the only reason we have a federal government.

The looming crisis is that WWII veterans are in increasing short supply. How many more imperial decries to spit in veteran's faces remain before the Republicans are forced to complain about the Vietnam memorial being closed?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
How many SotU rebuttals will we have this year and who will give which? We had what, 7 last year?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fried Chicken posted:

How many SotU rebuttals will we have this year and who will give which? We had what, 7 last year?

oh holy poo poo I'd almost forgotten! This easily makes up for the despair I feel at how far the President's rhetoric, both stylistically and contentwise, has plummeted since his candidacy :(

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

February 2: Obama is supposed to submit a budget to Congress. He's missed the deadline every year so far, so it's not likely there will be a budget submitted by this date. Republicans will send out emails about how he's imperially defying the constitution, etc.
Why does he miss the deadline? It's not like Congress is going to actually pass anything he suggests, so why not just do a find/replace on '2014' in last years budget and submit that?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The excuse is usually that the uncertainty introduced by stuff like sequestration and debt ceiling crises makes putting together a budget on time difficult. I think it's a poor excuse since his budget is obviously not going to be enacted, so that administration should put together what it would like the budget to be, not what it expects the budget to be. It should be a signaling document, not proscriptive.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Rubio and Jindal should try again.

Joementum posted:

Here's the budget war calendar for 2015:

January 6: 114th Congress begins. John Boehner re-elected Speaker. (Or will he be!!!!)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

zoux posted:

Mario Cuomo died, and I don't care.

I was young when he was in power and on tv all of time. I have to say, he was a great foil to Reagan and I found him to be really inspirational. I know a lot of people want to poo poo on his memory because he wasn't liberal enough. If you look at the time in history when he existed however, he was a drat fine politician and he was saying things that I had never heard before. He wasn't perfect, but he definitely had an influence upon an entire generation of children. Back then we didn't have internet and we only had a handful of stations, so you can be assured that when he was on tv, even the kids were watching. He was a hero of mine when I was a kid because he wasn't Regan.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sir Tonk posted:

Rubio and Jindal should try again.

:thejoke: People think Boehner is as vulnerable as last time, but he's really not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ComradeCosmobot posted:

:thejoke: People think Boehner is as vulnerable as last time, but he's really not.

Pelosi and the Tea Party gonna make the craziest deal.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I like how they have a picture of him with Obama. Yeah, he looks like he isn't happy with Obama, whatever. It is still a picture of him with Obama.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gyges posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if the dems team up with the tea party to put Steve King in as speaker and then run legislative circles around him when he doesn't have a clue what to do.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It'd be pretty hilarious if the dems team up with the tea party to put Steve King in as speaker and then run legislative circles around him when he doesn't have a clue what to do.

Please don't tease me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

disheveled posted:

Not to spend too much time on this, but it's definitely standard to cover reconstruction, the KKK, Jim Crow laws, and so forth. It's certainly not 100 years of missing race-relations, it's just glossed over enough that you probably won't get into something like convict leasing and the economic incentives of racist policy. It's also a period of time that also has to cover American industrialization and the rise or re-energization of the American labor and women's movements.

It is true that this time period is discussed in class and usually has quite extensive portions of the textbook devoted to it, but the social history of 1860-1960 is simplified so much in high school American history, even the AP version of the course, that it has the effect of sanitization. While American history textbooks are all rather plodding and "neutral", when discussing Reconstruction especially this has the effect of skewing rather far from the truth - unironic discussion of "carpetbaggers" and a presentation of Reconstruction as a yoke upon the South as punishment for secession sit alongside more factual details and sharecropping is mentioned and dismissed, perhaps after the student has memorized its definition for the quiz without any understanding of its nature as a metamorphosis of slavery into serfdom. The women's and labor movements are generally presented as "gee, things sucked for a long time. Why? Who knows! But eventually political activists worked within the system and everyone was a lot happier once the laws were changed. Why were large political movements required to get these things done if everyone wanted them? Who can say? Also, the government definitely never threatened to bomb and arrested hundreds of union coal miners to maintain a system of brutal economic exploitation!"

This time period is perhaps the most important for understanding the roots of most of the conflicts in modern American society, which is why it's written about in the textbooks as basically a long and boring time period where nothing of consequence happens at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gyges posted:

I want to live in the universe where this happens.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

William Bear posted:

The passing of Mario Cuomo made me think about how it's a rule in U.S. politics, on both parties, that that children are inferior in quality to their parents.

George Romney was a good man.
Mario Cuomo was a good man.
Even HW Bush was more reasonable than his son.

I guess the longer your family is among the powerful elite the shittier you become

I had the feeling JFK Jr. was only famous for being famous

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vertical Lime posted:

I had the feeling JFK Jr. was only famous for being famous

Well, he did come from quite the powerful and connected family, was a war hero, and hit it off quite well with women. He was famous because he had the right background and factors to expect high ambition.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
What's the likelihood of Boehner's speaker vote getting pushed to second round voting where things get weird? I know 2 years ago things got close and Sandy relief was a deciding factor, but the establishment actually gained some seats with this election right?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, he did come from quite the powerful and connected family, was a war hero, and hit it off quite well with women. He was famous because he had the right background and factors to expect high ambition.

Which he squandered utterly.

Oh right, George magazine.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gyges posted:

Speaker of the House Ted Cruz.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Then again, Nixon.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
isn't it in the interests of house democrats to join with the tea party to elect someone insane to the speakership?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

isn't it in the interests of house democrats to join with the tea party to elect someone insane to the speakership?

Depends on what shenanigans Pelosi can pull with a weak/stupid speaker, joe would be more up to speed on that. On the other hand, better the devil you know than the insane, unstable devil you don't.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Like TeaPartiers are willing to vote with Democrats. That'd cause a true rift within the Republican Party.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm honestly not sure if it matters who gets voted in as speaker at this point. I guess someone who's petty and stupid would help election prospects in 2016, but no matter what nothing good is getting out of the house over the next 2 years

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The Cruz tantrum made it clear that having someone with limited understanding of procedure is a very, very good things for the party that controls the Presidency.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jazerus posted:

This time period is perhaps the most important for understanding the roots of most of the conflicts in modern American society, which is why it's written about in the textbooks as basically a long and boring time period where nothing of consequence happens at all.

Everything that's not a war is covered in that manner though, it's not a conspiracy.

If you want a conspiracy, look at stuff that happened during wars but weren't directly connected to them. I didn't know there were race riots during WW2 until about four months ago.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VirtualStranger posted:

I was in high school only a couple years ago, And we never covered classical Greek or Roman history at all.

"World History" class started in the 1500s with the European Renaissance, and did not cover the history of any locations outside on Europe and North America, other than brief mentions in passing whenever they were being exploited or colonized by European powers.

I also took a sociology class that tried to pretend the whole thing was Durkheim and Weber and desperately bent over backwards trying to never, ever mention Marx or conflict theory.

Did you just not take any of the more advanced history classes or not have any AP options available? Because AP World would have covered a shitload of Chinese history plus, well, everything else.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

At my high school APUSH was two years with the split being the civil war. It was easily my favorite class. I learned a ton of things that would never have been covered in a regular class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ethiser posted:

At my high school APUSH was two years with the split being the civil war. It was easily my favorite class. I learned a ton of things that would never have been covered in a regular class.

APUSH was a soph/junior one-year, two-hour course for us. If anything, the course over-emphacized everything in the period between the Sabbatarian debate and the American entrance into WW1 through the framework of race relations.

I'd say 3/4th of the course was spent explaining Sabbatarians through institutionalization of slavery as religion, how this development influenced the Mexican-American War and American System, how the civil war was only about slavery in the context of plantation capitalism, how slavery continued post-war and was integral for Guilded Age politics, and how these earlier racial economic narratives influenced the immigration waves of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Too much slavery, capitalism, and racial relations, not enough pre-revolution and revolutionary period.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 3, 2015

• Locked thread