Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
HUGE LISTS INCOMING

Books I received from various people for Xmas and my birthday (also in December) :
- The Art of Film Magic: 20 Years of Weta - double-hardcover boxset with tons of artwork from every film Weta Digital/Workshop has ever worked on
- the latest book in The Hobbit Chronicles series - coffee table book also by Weta, with concept art etc from the Hobbit trilogy
- The Complete Making of Indiana Jones - huge coffee table book about the making of the whole franchise (you can tell I love reading about the making of films)
- The Lord of the Rings 60th anniversary slipcased hardcover, fully illustrated by Alan Lee - such an amazing edition!
- Saga hardcover vol 1 (issues 1-18 of the awesome comic)
- Saga paperback vol 4 (issues 19-24)
- The Midas Flesh vol 1 (issues 1-4 of SF/comedy comic by Ryan North, who's known for Dinosaur Comics)
- Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris - I love NPH, so weird format aside (it's exactly what the title sounds like), I'm excited to read this
- Revival by Stephen King - I usually get the new SK books, although the last 2 or 3 are still untouched by me... kind of a backlog I need to get into

-------

I didn't get books for everyone in my family because not everyone reads a lot. However some key people got books from me...

Gave to my Dad:
Dad's been reading lots of SF, and has recently loved Hyperion, Leviathan Wakes and Blindsight, so I got him a bunch of my favourites for his Kindle:
- Revelation Space and House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds
- Embassytown by China Miéville
- A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
- Axiomatic (collection) by Greg Egan
- Stories of Your Life and Others (collection) by Ted Chiang

Gave to my Mum:
- Sherlock Holmes related books - she's read all the AC Doyle books, so I got her an anthology of pastiche stories (a subgenre she's getting into lately) and a big hardcover guide to the Holmes phenomenon as a whole
- Jeeves and Wooster in Perfect Nonsense - she loves the Jeeves stories, and has read pretty much everything, but not this, which is the script for the recent West End play

Gave to my boyfriend:
- Let's Talk About Love: Why Other People Have Such Bad Taste - a critical analysis of Celine Dion, he's a huge fan of hers
- The Book of Mormon: The Testament of a Broadway Musical - big hardcover tie-in book for the musical which we saw in NYC this year
- 1001 Comics You Must Read Before You Die - he's getting into graphic novels a lot so I thought this would help him find the ones he wants to read the most

Gave to my boyfriend's Mum:
- Edinburgh Lonely Planet - she's going there on holiday this year
- You Are Here - photo collection by Chris Hadfield, the astronaut; she read his autobiography and loved it

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread