Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I got:

Civil War Land in Bad Decline
Persuasion Nation

Both are George Saunders short story collections. My aunt the priest got me 10th of December by him last year and I liked it so much that she got me these two as well.

I ordered Dangerous Visions and Again Dangerous Visions as a present for myself...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Has there seriously been no thread for this yet? Crazy. At least everyone's had a week or so to actually sit down and read them.

For my part, there isn't much to say about the stuff that I gave (this was on my half-sister's Amazon wish list, and my mom asked for The Screwtape Letters in hardcover), but I got a kickass hardback version of The Brothers Karamazov to replace my old paperback (and it's in a better translation), along with Underground, Haruki Murakami's book about the Aum Shinrikyo subway gassings in 1995. I've been busy with family stuff lately, so I'm still only about halfway through it, but it's extremely good. It's all condensed transcripts from interviews that Murakami had with the survivors, with very little of his own writing, but it clearly took a lot of time and care to conduct these interviews properly and to edit and organize them so well; it's definitely his book in that sense. I'd say more, but I really can't do it justice - just read it!

oh, I wasn't going to pick up Murakami's new book bc imo he's a one note kind of guy on average like Vonnegut if you plow through enough of his stuff, but I really like the guy that carried out the subway gassing cult murders so I'm definitely intrigued now

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I actually went and borrowed it from my friend an hour ago, I'll report back once I'm done

• Locked thread