Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Kpro posted:

Found out one of my coworkers got suckered into going to one of those World Wide Dream Night dinner things. I thought it seemed kinda weird that he would be paying $70 for a hotel dinner, it didn't take long to uncover the bullshit behind it all. Even after finding out about the BS he's still going, but I think it's more to look out for his friend who seemed really caught up in the scam.

please explain more because google is not very helpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

please explain more because google is not very helpful
Looks like some stupid seminar.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Its part of Amway, otherwise known as the best known pyramid scheme for idiots that fall for pyramid schemes.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's nothing more than Amway. This seems like the only real info on it.

Bit more of a critical review.

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 21, 2015

Jody Tocroach
May 28, 2008

Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning.
Its kinda like a timeshare scam without the option to buy a timeshare (which is good cause that's always a ripoff). Its a decent vacation but its incredibly overpriced compared to if you just booked it all yourself. If you have the money but have seriously zero time or inclination to spend like an hour setting up your own dream vacation (hotel, car rental, venues etc) then I guess go for it. I wouldn't though its crazy easy to plan an awesome vacation online with minimal effort. Super cheap too if you can get on space avail flights and don't mind Euro hostels which can be an experience in themselves. You could have nearly the same experience for practically free (not counting the rental car but EU has awesome public trans and you can be drunk as gently caress and don't have to worry about getting drunk and crashing the rental BMW while lost). The biggest drawback is you are gonna get put on the sucker list for every timeshare, cruise, etc BS that will spam and call you for a decade trying to milk more sucker cash from you. Best way to handle this is look at where this place plans to take you and with what amenities. Then just loving hit up travelocity or expedia or whatever and see what it would cost to do yourself and go that route.

EDIT: Wait gently caress.. I thought this was just one of those typical military ripoff travel agent scams, this is just for a single Dinner? For fucks sake a local high end dinner in NYC / DC is at most like $45 a plate and it usually isn't even that good compared to like Ruth Chris or other "gourmet" Resort style steak and seafood place. Definitely gonna land you on a sucker list of people calling to sell you more poo poo.

Jody Tocroach fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 21, 2015

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Definitely plan your own vacations and abuse any and all cheap rates you can get through the military, screw any kind of package deals. Between RTT at Ramstein and cheapass Ryan Air tickets I landed four nights in Ibiza for about 150 euros all and it took about a half hour to reserve everything. Granted, the first club I went to when I got there charged 90 loving euro for three vodka and red bulls, but at least I got there cheap.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So, Rekinom and crew:

Should I try to extend my 6 month deployment to MacDill AFB to a year to get short tour credit?

The main draw back is I'm relatively low on hours (~2000TT, including student time and about ~700 TPIC currently, no conversion) so if I get out, it will take another half a year of flying away (~200 TPIC hours.) However, if I stay in, it will possibly alleviate having to do a 365 later down the line.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 22, 2015

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
So we are supposed to go to Ramstein in May.

My sponsor emailed me on Tuesday and said: :tipshat: "Hey, I notice that your old AFSC is 1C351 (command post), are you retraining back into this career field as part of your PCS?"

:wtc: Alarm bells start going off in my head... My reply: "Er, no I should be PCSing there as my current AFSC 3D072 (Cyber Systems Ops)."

Got a reply back yesterday: :smuggo: "Our SMSgt confirmed you are coming here as a 1C3, are you PRP certified? You are showing as PRP certified, but if not, you should start the process now blah blah blah..."

I've been out of my career field for 10+ years and now you want me to come back? I didn't think I could be pulled back 5+ years after cross training...

:psyduck:

Well, working in a MAJCOM has its privileges - my Functional is 5 seconds away and is going to try and help. Yay I guess? Maybe cancel the assignment and send me to a comm unit at Ramstein or Japan instead plz thx.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

So, Rekinom and crew:

Should I try to extend my 6 month deployment to MacDill AFB to a year to get short tour credit?

The main draw back is I'm relatively low on hours (~2000TT, including student time and about ~700 TPIC currently, no conversion) so if I get out, it will take another half a year of flying away (~200 TPIC hours.) However, if I stay in, it will possibly alleviate having to do a 365 later down the line.

Even if you did get out, you could go bumming in the reserves and get your TPIC there easily. Hell, I'm sure the reserve sq at your base will let you switch over pretty easily since it requires literally zero investment on their part. Either way, you've still got 1 more assignment left and it looks like the VSP has been shutoff for the foreseeable future. Whether or not you make an easy jump to the airlines depends more on whether that last assignment is flying or not. If you got sent to Creech, you'd be hosed even with 5000 hours because you wouldn't have flown for like 2 years straight. However, if you decided to do 20 (anything is possible), your short tour date would put you well behind others.

So, in your shoes, if I actually didn't mind my job, I would definitely extend and get that short tour credit. 6 months in a T-1 right now doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference unless you were immediately getting out, and even then, your TT is low for a heavy guy (from what I've been told).

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I have only seen one person get RPAs after instructing on T-1s and that was a specific request. I got told to expect RTB to Offutt because I won't be through my first OFDA gate and left before becoming an IP.

Really, the only reason I want as many hours as possible is this:

From Delta's hiring page, good info ^

xaarman fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 24, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Y'all should read Catch-22. Most realistic book describing the AF experience. Should make the top of the CSAF reading list.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Dominoes posted:

Y'all should read Catch-22. Most realistic book describing the AF experience. Should make the top of the CSAF reading list.

I'd say that's pretty close to the top

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

I have only seen one person get RPAs after instructing on T-1s and that was a specific request. I got told to expect RTB to Offutt because I won't be through my first OFDA gate and left before becoming an IP.

Really, the only reason I want as many hours as possible is this:

From Delta's hiring page, good info ^

Like I said, 6 months in a T-1 isn't going to make a significant difference anyway. 3500 seems to be the magic number, which if you're going back to Offutt, will be how you will probably get that.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
The board for IRR major starts early Feb. So nervous about my make-believe promotion :ohdear:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

The board for IRR major starts early Feb. So nervous about my make-believe promotion :ohdear:

What? That's a thing?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The letters about it were the first either of us had heard about it, but yeah apparently so.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Derek Dominoe posted:

Medical can be very chill in the Guard. 4A if you want to file records, 4N if you want to take vital signs and give vaccines.

Hey what would be a good time of day to text you man? I know your schedule is whack with your new job and training, and your fam/sleep time extremely precious these days.

The wife and I got a gift thing to send you and yours, I've just been to big of a 'tard to remember to text you. And now I don't wanna risk waking your rear end up at your midnight and my noon or whatever, ya know?

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Hey what would be a good time of day to text you man? I know your schedule is whack with your new job and training, and your fam/sleep time extremely precious these days.

The wife and I got a gift thing to send you and yours, I've just been to big of a 'tard to remember to text you. And now I don't wanna risk waking your rear end up at your midnight and my noon or whatever, ya know?

I'll send you a text. I get no signal at work which has not helped me stay in touch with everyone.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just found an old screenshot of this, so I figured I'd pass it on:

Corrections to Gen "Doc" Foglesong's Wiki Page

By far my favorite wiki vandalism ever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
His son is pretty cool though.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

pkells posted:

I just found an old screenshot of this, so I figured I'd pass it on:

Corrections to Gen "Doc" Foglesong's Wiki Page

By far my favorite wiki vandalism ever.

I made the Cocker Spaniel part of that article :patriot:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I made the Cocker Spaniel part of that article :patriot:

That's my favorite part.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Talked with my commander, said no go on the Tampa 365. My Major PRF is gonna be "started" in 16 months, and I would get back from the 365 in about 14 months. He recommends emailing the new Commander about 4 months into my deployment to start setting up an ADO/Group/Wing type job, and to stay a line IP for now.

Definitely told me I ran the risk for regression on my SURF because of afforementioned choices, which I was more excited/ok about before the deployment but whatever. Will be irrelevant if I get a job when I get back...

The annoying thing is, I haven't heard one single word of regret from ANYONE who took VSP. I was hoping for at least a "I miss the benefits" or something but literally everyone is loving life.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Me neither. 3 coworkers gone and they don't miss a thing.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xaarman posted:

Talked with my commander, said no go on the Tampa 365. My Major PRF is gonna be "started" in 16 months, and I would get back from the 365 in about 14 months. He recommends emailing the new Commander about 4 months into my deployment to start setting up an ADO/Group/Wing type job, and to stay a line IP for now.

Definitely told me I ran the risk for regression on my SURF because of afforementioned choices, which I was more excited/ok about before the deployment but whatever. Will be irrelevant if I get a job when I get back...

The annoying thing is, I haven't heard one single word of regret from ANYONE who took VSP. I was hoping for at least a "I miss the benefits" or something but literally everyone is loving life.

What, the LOE isn't going to cut it? Your PRF's going to look bad for a year's worth of work when it covers the whole career?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm starting to get mad about being RIF'd, because right now I'm working with some people who are really awful at their jobs, like it's not even close, and they still are being retained.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

When that 214 shows up in the mail you'll get over it REAL quick.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I suspect I'll get over it once I figure out how I'm going to pay rent and health insurance in California.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Godholio posted:

When that 214 shows up in the mail you'll get over it REAL quick.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Godholio, you're a patch wearer right? If you are, I'm going to PM you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

God no. Send it anyway though, depending on the question I may still have info. I've got a fair amount of related experience. I'm also in the hangout for a couple more hours til I get off work and I'm bored as poo poo.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 30, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
gently caress you, Air Force. I hope that after the Chinese get done pushing your poo poo in, you finally realize that promoting the people with the greatest number of community service hours to be in charge of the air war is a stupid loving way to do business.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

But stratifying by work performance is hard. Racking and stacking by box checking and "volunteer" hours is so much easier.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This guy fixed the whole inventory system. This guy killed 15 terrorists. poo poo, this is hard. Who got the better PT score? Promote now!

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
i've seen some of the biggest trashbags get promoted to O-4 while the legit solid ones get passed over. le sigh.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I hate that they can send people away and instead of giving us replacements, cut our manning numbers so it looks like we're fully manned. So much work, and so much bullshit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

But stratifying by work performance is hard. Racking and stacking by box checking and "volunteer" hours is so much easier.

Aside from the canned job description, this is the only part of the OPR (Lt-Col) that deals specifically with job performance. There's a checkbox for "does not meet standards."

1. Job Knowledge. Has knowledge required to perform duties effectively. Strives to improve knowledge. Applies knowledge to handle non-routine situations.

A Kpro posted:

I hate that they can send people away and instead of giving us replacements, cut our manning numbers so it looks like we're fully manned. So much work, and so much bullshit.

This is literally how ABMs went from being critically undermanned to overmanned and RIF/VSP eligible.

Edit: While AWACS was doing a 20%+ increase in ops tempo.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 31, 2015

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
JFC who loving cares if the guy in charge is a shitbag or not. It's not your problem, and the military can colossally gently caress up and still manage to find a way to keep chugging along anyway. Not like it's your rear end on the line.

If it is your rear end on the line, then you're hosed anyway, and caring really hard isn't going to make it any better. In fact, you'll just get more frustrated.

Just be FYGM to everything and life is much less stressful.

Also, it helps to be an officer. I have no loving clue why someone would enlist unless it was to escape some sort of awful home life.

Sincerely,

dirtbag rek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
It's really fun to laugh at my leadership when they say I'll never make tech because I don't do anymore volunteer stuff. "But Sgt Smertrios, you do so much school" - probably because I'm getting the gently caress out of this doomed organization.

Rekinom posted:

JFC who loving cares if the guy in charge is a shitbag or not. It's not your problem, and the military can colossally gently caress up and still manage to find a way to keep chugging along anyway. Not like it's your rear end on the line.

If it is your rear end on the line, then you're hosed anyway, and caring really hard isn't going to make it any better. In fact, you'll just get more frustrated.

Just be FYGM to everything and life is much less stressful.

Also, it helps to be an officer. I have no loving clue why someone would enlist unless it was to escape some sort of awful home life.

Sincerely,

dirtbag rek

Poor and white, need GI bill :smith:

• Locked thread