Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i had the most hosed up dream last night. i heard about some new algorithm that might give birth to a new type of computing. it used evolution to make better designs of things or itself and i saw a demo of 3d hologram of particles scaled up to show how they figured out how to rearrange themselves to make better computer hardware that went well beyond conventional computers. i bought a book at the harvard bookstore talking about this and several other innovations coming into fruition, but the evolution one was the most interesting to me. it all just started and already harvard university's research was generating tons of money and it seemed that barely anyone knew about this. they bought huge glass panels that covered a large part of the university and the new buildings that was really high up and seemed to go on forever into the distance. i saw a computer that was improving itself with the algorithm and it looked like some kind of indian shrine covered in gold, and it was doing trillions of operations per second

Xtremely intense dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i had the most hosed up hosed DRAM

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
:firstpost:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lol :owned:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

:firstpost:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
:69snypa:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Didn't read ban op

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
computers already do trillions of operations per second OP

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

computers already do trillions of operations per second OP

oh

hmm

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well supercomputers I mean

you'd need a lot of cores to break 1TFLOP on consumer hardware (AMD lol)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or a gpu

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Silver Alicorn posted:

well supercomputers I mean

you'd need a lot of cores to break 1TFLOP on consumer hardware (AMD lol)

maybe it was hundreds of trillions

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

or a gpu

let's not get ahead of ourselves

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

when I was a childe I got to go on a special field trip to the san diego supercomputer center at UCSD. they took us through the main room and I got to see one of the liquid cooled crays and some IBM thing that was one of the first computers to do 1 TFLOP. the guide also took up some of the floor panels so we could see all the fiber optic cabling, it was really cool for however old I was

now I'm doomed to computer life

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

i had a p hosed up dream too, op, i was being eaten alive by cockroaches

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
actually you are being eaten alive by cockroaches right now, you just passed out and are dreaming about posting in YOSPOS (lol @ you, huge loser)

after you read this post you will wake up, back to reality, in your case the reality of being eaten alive by cockroaches

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pram posted:

Didn't read ban op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

newreply.php posted:

actually you are being eaten alive by cockroaches right now, you just passed out and are dreaming about posting in YOSPOS (lol @ you, huge loser)

after you read this post you will wake up, back to reality, in your case the reality of being eaten alive by cockroaches

please do not fetshame

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

smoking weed kills ur dreams op

literally and figuratively

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
anyone itt remember macromedia dreamweaver????

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:pram:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

when I was a childe I got to go on a special field trip to the san diego supercomputer center at UCSD. they took us through the main room and I got to see one of the liquid cooled crays and some IBM thing that was one of the first computers to do 1 TFLOP. the guide also took up some of the floor panels so we could see all the fiber optic cabling, it was really cool for however old I was

now I'm doomed to computer life

the thread is about the guy with autisms bad dream not ur boring childhood

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

When I was a child I had a fever. My hands felt just like two balloons. Now I've got that feeling once again I can't explain you would not understand this is not how I am.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Same op, but only I went to the community college bookstore because I didn't go to harvard.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
too bad you woke up from your dream op

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i remembered another part of the dream where the computer displayed some kind of fractal with a huge amount of iterations. at first it just looked like some design, but eventually it had all these schematics with english writing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this is a v bad thread

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i had a dream the other day and in the dream i came up with a cool algorithm and when i woke up i rushed to write it down in my notebook and i realized my algorithm was extremely stupid and would have been useless even if it had actually worked.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

maybe it was hundreds of trillions

lol you dreamed about normal computers, way to go jerkass

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

TOOT BOOT posted:

lol you dreamed about normal computers, way to go jerkass

it was hundreds of trillions of operations.. per nano second

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

As a Millennial I posted:

i had a dream the other day and in the dream i came up with a cool algorithm and when i woke up i rushed to write it down in my notebook and i realized my algorithm was extremely stupid and would have been useless even if it had actually worked.

well what was it?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

well what was it?

it's hard to even describe

there was this huge diagram painted on a lawn with numbers next to shapes and i was going to, like, automatically figure out which numbers went with which shapes or something. as soon as i tried to do it on paper i realized i didn't even know what problem i was supposed to be solving

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

after hearing all those stories about scientists and composers having breakthroughs in their dreams it was a pretty big letdown

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

As a Millennial I posted:

after hearing all those stories about scientists and composers having breakthroughs in their dreams it was a pretty big letdown

yeah it was probably something pretty profound that reversed entropy or something. sorry

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
i keep having a dream where a girli knew in middleschoole is actually my older sister and she's flying back hom eand i go to the airport to welcomhe her back and we start having sex inthe ariport should i do this irl?? please adives.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

madeupfred posted:

i keep having a dream where a girli knew in middleschoole is actually my older sister and she's flying back hom eand i go to the airport to welcomhe her back and we start having sex inthe ariport should i do this irl?? please adives.

no way! you could get arrested for indecent exposure

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

sex is a natural thing like making GBS threads do both of these things

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
i actually, unironically think u have autism, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU