Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

icehewk posted:

Which legume that could approximate the texture of congee?

Maybe mung bean doctored up with some tapioca? Any particular reason to replace rice in something that's 100% rice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

feelz good man posted:

Maybe mung bean doctored up with some tapioca? Any particular reason to replace rice in something that's 100% rice?

is an oatmeal a congee?

edit:
pretty sure legume congee implies that chili with beans is actually a congee curry

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

GrAviTy84 posted:

is an oatmeal a congee?
No it's an open-faced sandwich

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Woof! Woof! posted:

How'd you fry that pork chop?

sprinkled in 2 parts salt to 1 part sugar day before cooking, left uncovered on rack in fridge overnight. then reverse sear, oven at 250 for 20 minutes then fried in just-smoking butter

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

feelz good man posted:

I'm after something a little more filling without losing the texture. Bean porridge would be more accurate than juk.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

icehewk posted:

I'm after something a little more filling without losing the texture. Bean porridge would be more accurate than juk.

Red lentils until they just start to lose structure? Cook whatever lentils 50/50 with the rice?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

real answer: you can add a shitton of whatever you want.

for instance this:
http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/eight-treasure-congee-mixed-congee/

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm late but I'm getting in on this after recommendation from the general thread.

Any recommendations for someone new to cooking? I'm also working on breaking down a whole chicken this week.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Nothing nearly as fancy as what some of you guys made, but I just had oral surgery and made some okayu in my rice cooker.

I used a mushroom broth and threw the dried mushrooms I used into the rice with some ginger and cooked it all together. Added a soft boiled egg, some green onions, soy sauce, and shichimi togarashi and it's not so bad.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Nvm

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 11, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

So whats the best way to heat up leftover congee? I just threw some in a pan with some water and that worked pretty well.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

That, microwave, tupperware over the cab heat vent when running equipment to have your lunch not frozen at 0230, jook isn't picky.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

goodness posted:

So whats the best way to heat up leftover congee? I just threw some in a pan with some water and that worked pretty well.

Nuke stir nuke stir nuke stir.... until heated through

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
My parents gave me some frozen pathongko/youtiao/Chinese crullers when I stopped by so I decided to make jook to eat it with. I ended up making too much and have been having it for breakfast and dinner for the past two days. I think I'm coming down with something though, so at least I have an excuse for non-stop jook.

It didn't come out very thick when I put it in the rice cooker on porridge, so I found taking an immersion blender to it does the trick.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I Ate off 2 cups of rice worth of Jook and 1 chicken for 5-6 days. Jook and angry lady are amazing.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

goodness posted:

I Ate off 2 cups of rice worth of Jook and 1 chicken for 5-6 days. Jook and angry lady are amazing.

Now get a bundle of fresh chives and leave them in the window in a jar of water. Eat off the same bundle for a longass time as the shoots geow back after trimming. See if you can create a perpetual jooking kitchen. :getin:

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I made a jook becuase this thread made me jealous.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

A friend of mine turned me on to this thread yesterday so I made some tonight... Never had it before, it's freaking delicious.

Base was white rice, chicken broth, ginger, 1tsp tamari, 1/2tsp sesame oil and shredded chicken thighs.

Topped with fried shallots/garlic, green onion, fried egg, carrot, chili garlic sauce and hoisin.

Will definitely be making it again.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009
This thread is fancy as gently caress. In my house we stick to pretty simple recipes - either plain with some toppings (fermented bean curd, preserved vegetables or my favorite - fried dace with black beans), or with ground pork and sometimes century egg (plus ginger and green onions and seasoning).

Yeah eating it plain with fried dace and beans is the poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Thank you for bumping this thread. I've been sad and not really eating the past few days. Then I remembered jook existed and I have turkey eggs to eat. So I had jook with a poached turk egg, whole cracked szechuan peppers (boiled with the rice, delicious) crispy green onion and bacon, tiger sauce, sesame and chili oil. It feels like a tummy hug.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have a hacking cough, very unhappy stomach, and everything is sore. Gonna crank out a pot of jook before bed to get my porridge on in the morning with some of the Boston butt that is going in the crock pot at the same time.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I made a jook becuase this thread made me jealous.

Is that a pile of bacon and three eggs? Looking at it makes me want to lift weights or something buff like that.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Breakfast cong: bacon, fried egg, scallions, and a drizzle of chili oil

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Was too sick to cook last night. Have a cup of jasmine in the pot right now with fish sauce, chunks of ginger, pint of duck stock, and quart of water.

Going to call out of work, eat jook, play Black Flag, try to get a couple jars of honey preserved lemons put up, and a jar of salt preserved lemon. Or just will myself into a coma until this bullshit lung ick passes.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008

JuanGoat posted:

Yeah eating it plain with fried dace and beans is the poo poo.

Hadn't heard of dace, so in steps the always helpful wikipedia entry: "Fried dace with salted black beans is a canned food available around the world wherever there are Asians[citation needed]."

My last jook had a few fried eggs and a pile of sweet chili sauce.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Felt inspired from this thread and it smells really good in here now. Pulled a smoked pork butt portion out of my freezer and gonna toss that in near the end and garnish with some scallions.

Edit:

Holy poo poo is this good.

Crazyeyes fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 29, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That is a very nice and extremely large table you've got there. So large, it is broken, I fear.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

The Midniter posted:

That is a very nice and extremely large table you've got there. So large, it is broken, I fear.

:negative:

it was a lot smaller on my phone screen.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Raided the Korean store and just put a pot of jook on with some homemade chicken stock.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Made more pulled pork Jook the other day. I can't seem to make it often enough for my consumption rate.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Made more pulled pork Jook the other day. I can't seem to make it often enough for my consumption rate.

I made a pot of pulled pork myself earlier this week to go with Jook. When I'm ready to eat I take a scoop, chop it real thin and then crisp it in a hot pan for a couple minutes.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I've got to get under a blanket to be comfortable which means it's rice porridge weather!

I deboned a split chicken breast earlier in the week to make schnitzel so used the bones to make broth and poached the tenderloins for a topping along with a crispy fried egg, angry lady, chili oil, and green onions. Seasoned with plenty of fish sauce, pepper, and ginger. Some pickled radish on the side.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mich posted:

I've got to get under a blanket to be comfortable which means it's rice porridge weather!

I deboned a split chicken breast earlier in the week to make schnitzel so used the bones to make broth and poached the tenderloins for a topping along with a crispy fried egg, angry lady, chili oil, and green onions. Seasoned with plenty of fish sauce, pepper, and ginger. Some pickled radish on the side.

totes beauts :( :( :(

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.
I jooked this week! Made some stock from leftover hotwings bones, added some shredded chicken, sambal oelek and green onions. I wanted to put a soft boiled egg in there too, but I ran out of time.

Not nearly as exciting or pretty as some of the amazing bowls already posted, but it is drat delicious and that's what counts.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Winter is coming... and it is a tad late judging from the weather here

But I still made congee for some friends last week:

Thursday:

Friend duck breast, soft-boiled egg, fried eggplant, sliced carrot, green onions, fried mushrooms, angry lady, and chinese mystery shrimp (a friend brought these from China, I can't reads the labels, but it tasted like shrimp in tomato sauce).

Saturday (because you always make too much congee and have leftover ingredients):

Teriyaki chicken breast, fried egg, fried egg plant, fried mushrooms, sliced carrots, green onion, more mystery shrimp (different coloured label, different symbols, tasted the same).

Not pictured: Mystery chinese pork roast. Originally this was supposed to go in there but I simply did not know how to prepare it (it seems to be some cooked style "roast" is a ll greyish and stuff.
If I poison my guests with mystery meat, I at least want to know what I am doing :downsrim:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Some jerk gave me a wicked sore throat, so now I've got a pot of rice and ginger on the oven and just added in some old frozen chicken bits I had lying around. :getin:

Edit:

Base of 6:1 rice, old chicken leftovers, a loving huge knob of ginger and minced ginger added in near the end.
Black bean sauce, soft boiled egg, lightly fried shallot, angry lady, sesame oil on top. Not bad for a fridge emptier.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 2, 2016

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER
man that guy looks bummed out

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I jook'd last week so I didn't have to deal with making lunch for awhile while I had a friend visiting, was great. It was great, until I brought some jook in and decided to buy some of the pork from our cafeteria and throw it in there. Then it turned amazing.

I don't know why I never put meat in my jook before, but that blew my drat mind. Time to do pork belly with every jook I ever create!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Does the type of rice matter? Long vs short etc? I had congee on my mind this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

net work error posted:

Does the type of rice matter? Long vs short etc? I had congee on my mind this morning.

It matters, but you can use either, it just depends on the result you want.

• Locked thread