Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So showing an image of a player is legal? You don't have to have the player (or MLB/NBA/NFL/etc) sign off on it? Does it matter if they are current or retired? I've toyed around with the same idea as the OP, but haven't pursued it for the same reason.

I found this:

quote:

All celebrities are afforded statutory protection which gives them a right of publicity. In other words, it is unlawful to use another person’s likeness for commercial advantage without permission. By selling T-Shirts depicting celebrity images, without permission, we would be clearly violating the law, and as such, have no interest in accepting submissions that utilize celebrity likenesses.

It seems like this means any use of a players likeness is illegal. Am I wrong?

I feel like a lot of these tshirt designs are definitely copyright infringement, and the creators are just hoping they aren't sued.

Also, say you create a "parody" image... what stops someone from stealing that from you? What steps would you have to take to own the image legally?

This website (http://store.theforestlab.com/)seems like 90% of it would be copyright infringement. They have the Breaking Bad logo, several celebrities (living and dead), etc.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread