Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
it probably makes me a Bad Gamer but I played like an hour of planescape torment and had no idea wtf was going on and quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

holy crap I just dual specced into archery in divinity and they actually managed to make an archer class that doesn't suck complete rear end

Dec 26, 2012

yeah archery in divinity is pretty great

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i tried to play divinity but teh lack of autosaves ruined my life

im going to play it again... coop

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i tried to play divinity but teh lack of autosaves ruined my life

im going to play it again... coop

the right way to do it

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

it probably makes me a Bad Gamer but I played like an hour of planescape torment and had no idea wtf was going on and quit

pst is not a fun game to play mostly people just want to read crazy things happening, like the guy whose teeth moved independently from his jaw. i remember liking it when i was young but i had a gamefaqs open partway through playing the game and it held my hand through all the janky bullshit. it probably hasn't held up at all because jesus christ. still there are cool things from that game like how your character carved a message to himself on his back because he knew he was going to forget everything when he died.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Avadon is cool and good

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What's a good top down rpg? I think the last one I played was Diablo 3 (lol) or Neverwinter Nights back in like 2003 (but I was too young to play it then).

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What's a good top down rpg? I think the last one I played was Diablo 3 (lol) or Neverwinter Nights back in like 2003 (but I was too young to play it then).

Neverwinter Nights 2 gets good but the first act is pretty bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I tried to play NWN2 with a couple friends of mine but it's too hardcore D&D for me and I got bored pretty quickly with the combat and mountains of numbers.

I really like Dragon Age: Origins a lot since it's oldschool enough to have rewarding combat that you can't just turn your brain off for but has some modern amenities so you don't get frustrated trying to figure out wtf random vague stat x does and why it keep getting you killed.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

yeah origin was fun. I have the other one too

the other one? is there another one like origins?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
dead state is p good imo

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Akumos posted:

dead state is p good imo

Whenever anyone posts "xxx game is p good imo" the game is always dog poo poo gently caress rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Aston posted:

the other one? is there another one like origins?

Oath in Felghana and it's also good.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

yeah that's what it's called, 1 and 2 are also on steam

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finally got a chance to play some more shadowrun. THe writing is way better than divinity, combat isn't quite as fun though. Can you kill the big orc dude in the beginning or do you have to run away?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

And, if you'd prefer a more badass, 2D Side Scroller version of it, there's Ys III: Wanderers from Ys on several platforms.

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!
I was playing divinity with my house mate and there was a grave in that first town and we dug it up. So really cool.

I need lockpicks though. Anyone have aby?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Chocolatebuddha posted:

I was playing divinity with my house mate and there was a grave in that first town and we dug it up. So really cool.

I need lockpicks though. Anyone have aby?

lady upstairs at the inn sells lockpicks and rogue skill books. She might not stock the picks right waay though. if you want you can craft them from nails though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I thought that eiger was a man

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The dude who convinced me to get Ice Wind Dale is really cool. Thanks man

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Ultima 7 was pretty good. but seriously let's devote an entire island to star trek references bet their kicking themselves over that blunder.

Dec 26, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Finally got a chance to play some more shadowrun. THe writing is way better than divinity, combat isn't quite as fun though. Can you kill the big orc dude in the beginning or do you have to run away?

i think you can force him to retreat. its pretty hard though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

yeah that's what it's called, 1 and 2 are also on steam

I liked 1 and 2 as well, they're extremely fast paced which is nuts considering they're like 25 years old

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Wormskull posted:

And, if you'd prefer a less badass, 2D Side Scroller version of it, there's Ys III: Wanderers from Ys on several platforms.

Fixed that for you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like that Shadowrun has a whole bunch of unique dialogue checks based on your stats/charisma/etc. It seems like virtually every conversation has some. I can read people's auras since I'm a mage which is extremely badass.

One of those things that kind of got forgotten when rpgs all got dumbed down.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sir AIDS posted:

Whenever anyone posts "xxx game is p good imo" the game is always dog poo poo gently caress rear end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

PantsBandit posted:

Nah thats basically the normal experience

I mean ive played that game 3 times through and I will be the first to tell you that basically nothing is clear until after you confront pharod

So realistically what happens is you spend hours aimlessly wandering up and down the hive, occasionally stopping to talk to/murder some random hiver when your boredom starts getting out of control

If you can get past that first part its still got pretty bad gameplay but the writing is fun

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dragonfall q: I'm generally siding with Eiger and trying to avoid escalating things but could you just piss her off enough to make her leave the team? It seems like there's a ton of opportunities to treat her like poo poo.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

zinglon's ale posted:

Spiderweb games are not bad.

lmfao

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I've played through Ultima VII The Black Gate and Serpent Isle dozens of times in their original forms and later on Exult. I'd even play Ultima VIII again but I don't know if they ever finished the Pagan exult equivalent. I loving love Ultima.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

dragonfall q: I'm generally siding with Eiger and trying to avoid escalating things but could you just piss her off enough to make her leave the team? It seems like there's a ton of opportunities to treat her like poo poo.

i'm pretty sure you're supposed to treat her like poo poo, which always made things difficult for me because i want to be a dick to her but not for the reasons the game thinks i do.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
i liked wasteland 2 because i'm an idiot, but christ almighty that game is so needlessly ugly. welcome to brown town. please someone out there do a post apoc rpg that doesn't have a palette made of dust and turds. please.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
is diablo 3 a top down rpg cuz i like that one

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mung Dynasty posted:

is diablo 3 a top down rpg cuz i like that one

read the op you gently caress

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
bruh

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
planescapes not horrible but it's not as good as BG1 or BG2. i beat BG2 without a walkthrough and it was easy to figure out. i needed a walkthrough for planescape just to find the loving areas. it had really cool art and a cool setting but it was TOO good, because it was a confusing mess to play in.

what's so good about ys origin? i have it and i hate it. is it just really slow to start or something? i never even got past the first level because its so horribly boring to me. also what's with french games being almost totally identical to asian games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

what's so good about ys origin? i have it and i hate it. is it just really slow to start or something? i never even got past the first level because its so horribly boring to me. also what's with french games being almost totally identical to asian games.

it's not really slow to start at all so i guess it just isn't the game for you. which character did you choose? most people say hugo makes the game kind of unfun, so give yunica a try if you haven't yet i guess.

also ys is japanese.

• Locked thread