Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
My BMW has 270,000 miles and this bottle here GUARANTEES an increase in horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is the bottle filled with nitrous oxide?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I have an oil to sell you. Its filled with literal snakes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I used snakeoils as buttlube once.

Still tossed a rod. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

I bet Rod was happy, though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Shouldn't you be using water-based lube for your snake anyways?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Dude, you don't want to damage your snakes. Or your rods.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'd go with no.

When I did my engine swap the new engine needed premium, thinking I was smart I bought some of that octane booster crap and poured it in the gas tank to tide it over. It ran until I filled it up with actual premium at which point it started misfiring and I discovered the ignition wire was garbage and couldn't put out enough spark to detonate the premium fuel. So octane booster does nothing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Octane booster bottles will raise one gallon of gas .5 octane or something absurd like that.

get a gallon of toluene and mix it in your tank. theres your octane booster.
Option B is buying 108 and mixing it with your premium.

MrChips posted:

Shouldn't you be using water-based lube for your snake anyways?

BUT THIS PROTECTS AGAINST THERMAL BREAKDOWN AND HAS SUPERIOR ADDITIVES TO AVOID BUILDUPS FROM FORMING.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I know when I run Avgas in mah small block Chebbie, Ah make FAHVE HUNNERT HORSEPOWER

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Slick50 was pretty good about adding plastic to your engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

BUT THIS PROTECTS AGAINST THERMAL BREAKDOWN AND HAS SUPERIOR ADDITIVES TO AVOID BUILDUPS FROM FORMING.

OUR GAS CLEANS YOUR VALVES!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

cursedshitbox posted:

Octane booster bottles will raise one gallon of gas .5 octane or something absurd like that.

Not all of them. Nulon have one that has been verified to raise a tank 5 points. Cost 30 bucks for 300ml tho. The rest of them.... you may as well piss in the tank

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

I was reading this thread on my phone in the garage.

The radio had just started playing "Only love can hurt like this"...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

We use BG intake cleaner on DFI cars with really crudded up intake valves as a last resort before having to pull for intake and manually clean the poo poo off.
Surprisingly it works really well and removes an amazing amount of cooked on crud. That build up is a pain in the rear end to remove with picks and brushes manually so a spray having any effect is pretty surprising.

I've never used any other mechanic in a bottle that seemed to do much of anything aside from Stabil. That seems to work fairly well for keeping stored fuel from gumming up your carbs.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Lubegard Red is supposed to be good at making your automatic transmission behave, so say the Bobistheoilguy forum guys

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

You should probably drink technoline. I hear it's like an AI afrodeziac or something, all's I know is it's good for your fro. Even better than soul glo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't know about snake oil, but motor oil seems to work really well for engines.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I hear elbow grease goes a long way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The only "snake oil" I've seen do anything is run-rite fuel system cleaner.

Of course you need a $150 machine plus shop air to use it - which is why it actually works (you run the car on it, so you have to hook it up to the fuel rail - rather than diluting it in a fuel tank).

The other stuff they sell appears to be same old same old snake oil.

Oh, and I guess the other non-snake oil snake oil wold be ZDDP additive when breaking in a new cam on flat tappet motors.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

I bet Rod was happy, though.

Nice work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seafoam FTW.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

leica posted:

Seafoam FTW.

Picked up a can of it last night, I think I remarked to the person I was with that it was like "magic in a can", which is definitely hyperbole but it really is good poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's been doing a great job of cleaning out the sludge in my Camry. I always have a can on hand.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Any "car wax" product is bullshit. I've tried a bunch, and all they ever do is make my car run like poo poo for a few weeks.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I like seafoam through an intake hose. Seems to do a decent job. Never had any issues with it.

Also I've done 2 bottles of the 20 gallon Techron fuel injector cleaner in junkyard injector'd cars and once saw 1.7 points AFR enrichment across the board on two separate cars/setups.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Subaru upper engine cleaner.

May not fall under your definition of snake oil, but it costs similar to other useless products, and cleans the poo poo out of your engine. I think maybe it is called Seafoam elsewhere.

edit: necro-beaten, like a dead red-headed stepchild

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
So it's hoppy and flammable? Sign me up!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
3 shots 3-in-1 or similar light household machine oil
2 shots zippo fluid or similar napthenic fuel
1 shot isopropyl

Serve in a float bowl with a garnish of your choice.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For the seafoam, do I need to run it through the intake hose, or can I just pour it in the gas tank, fill up the rest of the way, and run it? I'm asking partially because that's the way my friend told me to run it, and partially because I have no idea where the intake hose is on my car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

For the seafoam, do I need to run it through the intake hose, or can I just pour it in the gas tank, fill up the rest of the way, and run it? I'm asking partially because that's the way my friend told me to run it, and partially because I have no idea where the intake hose is on my car.

It's not worth running through your fuel. It's just too diluted to do much of anything, and isn't going to reach many of the areas that it will by dragging it in through a vacuum hose.

That's why seafoam is on the fence between snake oil and not: if used properly it actually works. But other ways not so much. Including ways described on the package.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I tried out a bottle of Rislone recently; from the MSDS it looks like it's "mostly similar" to Seafoam though one of the smaller-concentration petrochemicals is different. You're supposed to put it in your oil (replacing an equivalent volume of engine oil) and then drive as normal.

Not sure how much I trust that, but my car burns/leaks oil fast enough that it was probably out of my sump in a week.

I should buy a coked-up $300 car (with an accessible valve cover, unlike my Gunma tractors) and try it out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I should buy a coked-up $300 car (with an accessible valve cover, unlike my Gunma tractors) and try it out.

I propose we use one of my spare engines and run some scientific tests :eng101:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

It's not worth running through your fuel. It's just too diluted to do much of anything, and isn't going to reach many of the areas that it will by dragging it in through a vacuum hose.

That's why seafoam is on the fence between snake oil and not: if used properly it actually works. But other ways not so much. Including ways described on the package.

I was so disappointed when it didn't solve my problems after pouring a steady stream into the carb until it was gone.

Turns out it wasn't exactly a stuck valve, it was a stuck valve that lost the pushrod.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I was so disappointed when it didn't solve my problems after pouring a steady stream into the carb until it was gone.

Turns out it wasn't exactly a stuck valve, it was a stuck valve that lost the pushrod.

You need to use it double strength to replace pushrods.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I can't find any pushrods in my engine, how much seafoam will I have to use to get all of my pushrods back? How badly does losing all my pushrods affect my horsepowers?

Also I'm having a hard time getting these cans in my intake, everyone keeps saying to put it there but it gets stuck on the bendy part about 3 inches in, is there some trick to fitting this in here?

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
I don't know if this stuff does anything, but I enjoy rotating the plastic cogs around whilst I wait for some guy to bring me incorrect oil filters.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Anybody mention PB Blaster or WD40 yet? I love me some PB Blaster, but I hear there's another penetrating catalyst that outperforms it. What's it called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Horse Divorce posted:

Anybody mention PB Blaster or WD40 yet? I love me some PB Blaster, but I hear there's another penetrating catalyst that outperforms it. What's it called?

Kroil. Also maybe Liquid Wrench?

• Locked thread