Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kroil is really stuff. It's so good that even their competitors respect it. It is sometimes tough to find though.

Another good product which should be easier to track down in industrial wholesalers is LPS products, KB88 in particular. Probably cheaper too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

slidebite posted:

Kroil is really stuff. It's so good that even their competitors respect it. It is sometimes tough to find though.

Thirding. Kroil > any other lubricant out there. The first time I got my hands on Kroil was about 14 years ago, my uncle brought a 5 gallon bucket home they had left over from a job from resurfacing a hydro-electric cylinder. He gave me 2 full spray bottles that I still have since I haven't went through the first yet. Anyway, I had a squeaky chain on my bike that I sprayed it on and there still isn't any noise when I ride it, even if I let it sit for long periods then go again. Any time I have a stuck bolt, a couple eye-drops, come back in 5 minutes and it's workable. It's really great stuff that has finally moved from the industrial world down to us norms.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What about the 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF?

Which reminds me - what are you guys storing said 50/50 mixes in? Dollar-store spraybottles? I've got a few half-empty quarts of ATF that I sure as poo poo don't want to put in any transmission I own, but could definitely mix up with some acetone for those times a bolt could use some extra persuasion.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Can anybody remember the "miracle transmission mix" for WRXs that was posted on some Subaru forums a while back?

As far as I can remember the guy basically told you to mix up 3 or 4 different fluids and use it as your transmission fluid to prevent syncro wear instead of the much more difficult task of learning how to drive a manual properly. The guy had no science or proof to back up that it worked.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Mixing manual transmission oils is a real thing. Datsun and BMW guys do it on the old cars, I'll probably run a redline mix in my 635csi once I start working on it again.

Betacord posted:

I don't know if this stuff does anything, but I enjoy rotating the plastic cogs around whilst I wait for some guy to bring me incorrect oil filters.

I remember reading a website where they tested it and it ended up aerating the oil so much it started failing to lubricate gears properly. Dunno how scientific or accurate the results were but the pictures were interesting.

Safety Dance posted:

Kroil. Also maybe Liquid Wrench?
Liquid wrench sucks compared to PB I'm my experience. For kroil, they make it aerosolized, I think it's called aerokroil. It works absolutely amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Liquid Wrench is what I started out with. I've graduated wholesale to PB after trying everything else all the parts stores could throw at me.

I would really like to find a good source on Kroil. Also would love some LPS3 cavity wax.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which reminds me - what are you guys storing said 50/50 mixes in? Dollar-store spraybottles? I've got a few half-empty quarts of ATF that I sure as poo poo don't want to put in any transmission I own, but could definitely mix up with some acetone for those times a bolt could use some extra persuasion.

Don't think I'd store anything acetone-based in a plastic garden spray bottle, if that's what you were thinking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Had a bad rear seal leak on a Kia I owned at one point, oil was getting on the clutch and smoking bad. Bought some oil additive poo poo (forget what it's called) that claimed to fix rear seals and it loving worked like a charm. Might not have been great for the motor but I didn't care, drove it for another year then sold it, leak never came back :tinfoil:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Blue devil sure cleared up a weeping freeze plug issue that I had on a GM 4.3 v6. It's kinda pricy for a thing in a bottle, but I drove the van for a year after that and didn't loose a drop of coolant.

I used to think WD-40 was a magic cure all back when I was a teenager. I still love the way it smells.

Also, thirding PB blaster. I've never tried kroil 'tho

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Can anybody remember the "miracle transmission mix" for WRXs that was posted on some Subaru forums a while back?

Regular GL-4/5, Syncromesh, ATF and some fancy Redline oil IIRC.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

IOwnCalculus posted:

I just went out to Princess Auto (our :canada: equivalent to HF) and bought a bunch of cheap oiler bottles. They seem to work fine.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Don't think you can get PB blaster in the UK, but we have one that's called Plusgas which has unfucked many a siezed brake bleed screw.

Formula "A" :smug:

I've also heard techron is good and that BMW rebrand it/use it after each major service if you complain to them about lovely economy.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 5, 2015

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which reminds me - what are you guys storing said 50/50 mixes in?

I keep mine in a clear county fair style ketchup bottle thing. Convenient nozzle and large screw off lid.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which reminds me - what are you guys storing said 50/50 mixes in?

I store it in this. The trigger makes it easy to apply, and when I am done, I just bend the spout up so the remaining liquid doesn't seep out. Bonus points for looking cool too.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Betacord posted:

I don't know if this stuff does anything, but I enjoy rotating the plastic cogs around whilst I wait for some guy to bring me incorrect oil filters.

It doubles as brake fluid.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I tried making a fancy post for this and nothing felt righ so heres the basics. Dude blew a caliper, slapped front pads only, bled the system with lucas oil stop leak to fix the caliper and brought it to us as is because he thought there still might be air in the lines because it doesnt stop very well even with the new front pads. He'd like us to bleed it again.

Btw he drove it here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well, did you "bleed" it and give it right back to him? That's what I would have done :colbert:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I always wondered about that Lucas stuff. You really don't want your lubrication roping all over the place and picking up a poo poo load of air bubbles. That's kinda why we went with pressurized lubrication rather than splash or whatever poo poo they used to use on engines that lasted about 10 hours total before needing to be rebuilt.

I also like to spin the gears while I stand there and listen to all sorts of incorrect repair advice being given freely by employees and customers alike.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Seafoam makes so much smoke it must be doing something

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
AI is probably going to crucify me but my anecdotal experience on lowering oil weight a little and adding 20% Lucas Oil Stabilizer across several older, worn motors has been nothing but positive. It doesn't foam like people sperg about and it tends to quiet cold starts and at-temp operation significant. It's definitely a winner if you're working with something that's more than likely approaching a rebuild/junking anyways.

It also stopped the blue smoke puffs and the top end tapping in the 850 which has made me happy. I was weary at first about putting it in a turbo car due to the foaming concerns but it has worked out just fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

As far as I can remember the guy basically told you to mix up 3 or 4 different fluids and use it as your transmission fluid to prevent syncro wear instead of the much more difficult task of learning how to drive a manual properly. The guy had no science or proof to back up that it worked.

I think it's called "uncle scotty's cocktail" or something equally stupid, named after the 50 some year old retard on NASIOC who came up with it. Pretty sure he's full of poo poo.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

skylineboy08 posted:

AI is probably going to crucify me but my anecdotal experience on lowering oil weight a little and adding 20% Lucas Oil Stabilizer across several older, worn motors has been nothing but positive. It doesn't foam like people sperg about and it tends to quiet cold starts and at-temp operation significant. It's definitely a winner if you're working with something that's more than likely approaching a rebuild/junking anyways.

It also stopped the blue smoke puffs and the top end tapping in the 850 which has made me happy. I was weary at first about putting it in a turbo car due to the foaming concerns but it has worked out just fine.

I'd say if it works for you then why not. I honestly haven't ever tried it or even seen it used on an engine so maybe it's good stuff. I'm guessing you're not supposed to be using it full strength anyway so maybe the roping you see at the parts store gear toy isn't a concern. Dunno really.
I'm a huge fan of using DSG or PDK (have used both Audi and Porsche with similar results) fluid in cranky manuals. It's made my 170k mile worn out Ranger transmission shift much smoother than Honda MTF, GM Syncromesh and some Redline stuff I used a while back. I've used it in a friends 300ZX and a super notchy WRX and it got both to shift like butter as well. Kinda expensive if you have to pay for it but if you're mixing and matching fluids trying to make a cocktail it's worth a shot.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 7, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

I think it's called "uncle scotty's cocktail" or something equally stupid, named after the 50 some year old retard on NASIOC who came up with it. Pretty sure he's full of poo poo.

There have been a few instances of people sending it out for UOA and it invariably causes elevated iron levels in the oil. Leading theory is that you wind up with too much sulfur with the mix and it corrodes the gears.
So yeah, it's BS.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

When I was a teenager I worked part time in a parts store and Slick 50 was something like $50/bottle.... and we sold TONS of that poo poo. There would be people (especially 60 year old men with summer toys and gold chains) who would put a bottle in every friggen oil change which...would be every 2 months/500 miles because they only drove it on cruise nights around town.

They would swear that it give them AT LEAST 20HP AT THE WHEELS.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

That's definitely it.

I just remember reading NASIOC topics on it and it being absolute comedy as some outsider would question the validity of some redneck knowing more than the subaru and various oil companies' engineers, and then proceed to be poo poo on and browbeaten by all the diehards on the forum.

Tommychu posted:

There have been a few instances of people sending it out for UOA and it invariably causes elevated iron levels in the oil. Leading theory is that you wind up with too much sulfur with the mix and it corrodes the gears.
So yeah, it's BS.

Ironic because as I remember it, the "cocktail" was supposed to smooth out syncro operation, thus saving wear on your gears.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

IOwnCalculus posted:

From what I've read this is about the only thing that can be better than Kroil, but it doesn't come in a convenient aerosol can and smell nice :)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Liquid Wrench is what I started out with. I've graduated wholesale to PB after trying everything else all the parts stores could throw at me.

I would really like to find a good source on Kroil. Also would love some LPS3 cavity wax.

Honestly Kroil is far far better than PB. I've never seen it in stores, only online, so if I have a tough jam I try PB first since it's cheaper and more easily replaceable, but if PB doesn't work or I can tell it won't, I use the Kroil.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Rad weld has saved my rear end a few times. The egg trick has never worked, perhaps the oily snakes ate it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
N'thing the Kroil/Aerokroil love. You can get it straight from Kano Labs or Amazon's got it too, I believe. My dad was nice enough to get me a couple cans before he retired and I've yet to get through one. Stinks up the whole loving garage, but I don't use anything else now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least last time I ordered aerokroil, they wouldn't let me order without being a company. But they didn't check if my company name was actually valid.

Which is why there is a "Mickey Mouse Fabrication Inc" listed at my home address in their customer database now :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Which is why there is a "Mickey Mouse Fabrication Inc" listed at my home address in their customer database now :v:

To be fair though, anyone showing up at your house probably couldn't tell the difference.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Just hang a spraypainted banner on the 5 ton.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

At least last time I ordered aerokroil, they wouldn't let me order without being a company. But they didn't check if my company name was actually valid.

I'm "(LastName) & Sons" despite not having any sons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I'm "(LastName) & Sons" despite not having any sons.

It checks out

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Let's not forget digital snake oil in the form of youtube DIY videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU-JoX7Wjiw

It actually works as far as I know, but telling people just to pour water into the intake with nothing but a vague "don't put too much in"... eeeh

EDIT: not to mention the various HHO / Hydrogen scams / kooks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T11kt5-JjzI

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jan 12, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I tend to throw a bottle of Lucas in my tank every 3 months or so amd I use Shell 93 V-Power about 95% of the time. No clue if they work or not though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ReelBigLizard posted:

EDIT: not to mention the various HHO / Hydrogen scams / kooks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T11kt5-JjzI
Adding hydrogen can increase combustion efficiency, one of my friends at uni did a project on it. It just doesn't give you any of the magic "run your car on water, big oil doesn't want you to know" effect, that side of things is horseshit, and the specifics of how to make it work are a bit beyond "shove electricity through a jam jar full of water and plumb it into the intake".

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I tend to throw a bottle of Lucas in my tank every 3 months or so amd I use Shell 93 V-Power about 95% of the time. No clue if they work or not though.

Then why do you do it?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Out of habit. Plus I need to use 91 or 93 anyways and there are 3 Shells near me before I hit any other gas stations so it's also convenient.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

It checks out

I guess after 11 years I can buy at least one title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
The little spring clips that retract your pads.

• Locked thread