Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Cyclones complimented our 1/18 three-point shooting with a stellar 18/33 on free throws :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Another huge wet fart of a game from the free throw line for ISU, we can't be shooting much above 50% in the last three games.

Win's a win I guess.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The ones you've gotten away with have been really blatant. You've literally gotten away with two Flagrants, one of which could have been Flagrant 2

I think you're watching a different game than everyone else.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol they got away two flagrants int he first when Hogue elbowed Williams in the face, and a second when dumb rear end Morris took a shot on Paige.

That's great but if your contention is that the ISU is going to win this game because of unbalanced officiating you're mentally ill.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It wasn't, but nice assumption. In fact, if you read things instead of making stupid posts you'd know that.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

ISU's is just to get a bunch of calls their way.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
It would be nice if Iowa State could hit free throws again.

Hard to bitch much about what were probably a couple missed calls on the last two plays when you lose by one and miss eight free throws.

I will bitch anyway though, that was a really really blatant push-off.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
The silver lining to losing to Kansas is you know eventually they will take a warm poo poo directly on the center of the floor by the end the first tourney weekend and you will have the last laugh.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
This has probably been discussed in this thread or prior editions of it ad nauseam but what are people's thoughts on the "intentional fouling to stop the clock and make the last 2:00 of gametime take 20:00 of walltime" practice that permeates college basketball? Does every fan hate it as much as me? I'm not just salty over Iowa State nearly blowing it by barely shooting 50% on FTAs again, this strategy is a cancer on college bb to me and I can't stand it in any game. ISU-KU was a fantastic viewing experience until it devolved into this and, for me anyway, turned a hugely exciting game into a boring slog.

I have a hard time with the "free throw shooting is part of the game too" argument because it's a part of the game. I feel like there shouldn't be a way to force a team to make it their only scoring option for minutes at a time with no penalty or risk beyond that of normal fouling.

Ross fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 18, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OctoberBlues posted:

I generally agree, and also dislike the new practice of fouling late when up 3.

Agree, that's total BS. Seems like a rules loophole although as someone said above, closing it is tricky. These type of fouls are easy to identify and I'm sure some fairly non-subjective definition could be settled on, but how to reward the foul'd team is what I'm struggling with. Giving them three shots is obviously too strong. There's also a risk in making it essentially impossible for the trailing team to slow the game down at all.

OctoberBlues posted:

edit: I was wrong, there were five timeouts called in the last loving 17 seconds of the game. Seriously.

This is also ridic, I really don't see why so many are allowed. Combine this with all the various stoppages in play that act as mini-timeouts and there are literally dozens throughout the game.

I also get annoyed when the visiting team calls timeout and the home crowd goes ape-poo poo about it.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy fan in general.

Ross fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 19, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Big 12 refs seem to have adopted the standard that stumbling after being shoved by a defender is a travel this year.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

OctoberBlues posted:

Every time I have seen Oklahoma this season they have looked lovely - are we sure they are actually a good basketball team?

They absolutely demolished Texas on the road a couple weeks ago. Not sure if they have any other impressive wins.

Although I'm not 100% convinced Texas is for real yet.

By "real" I mean "will contend for a conf. champ. and a deep tourney run", they're clearly a Top 25 team.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Not a terrible first half (Iowa State). K State hit like four or five contested 18-foot jumpers which I guess you typically have to live with.

Man they are hitting some tough shots. That 6'7" 260-lb guy (forget his name) is a beast.

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 21, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Could just be that the angle's not great, but that doesn't look like an obvious goaltend at all to me.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
What a huge wet fart of a performance by ISU, jesus.

I can't figure this team out.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Jastiger posted:

Its like Iowa State looks GOOD when they play well, btu when they don't they look like poo poo. So schizophrenic they are.

Last year's team was sort of like this too, but they didn't have these extended runs of being completely inept in all aspects of basketball offense.

Texas Tech is maybe the worst team in the league, but they shot uncharacteristically well (I won't disrespect the effort and call it luck, but it is uncharacteristic), it's a strong league and it's a road game and the final score ended up being close. Not sure if the sky is falling yet.

All of ISU's losses this year have been like this (play like complete poo poo for most of the game, somehow lose by a reasonably close score in the end) which I guess is better than just getting steamrolled.

Last year was our chance to win it all I think, the team had probably a little more overall talent (Ejim and Kane were really good) and without Niang's foot injury I think they had a serious chance, especially since there was no juggernaut Kentucky team that's going to push your poo poo in if they play a good game no matter who the opponent is.

Ross fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 25, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Thoguh posted:

gently caress a Longhorn. God bless.

Texas *fart noise*

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
This is probably the best we've played all year.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Jastiger posted:

What the gently caress is this magic 3 point thing with Texas. They've made like 6 straight or some poo poo.

They made 10/14 threes in the second half :aaaaa:

Normally I dislike it when people attribute such things to luck (numerous teams have shot well from 3 against ISU lately which is more indicative of poor D than luck in my opinion), but most college players couldn't make 10/14 threes in an open gym.

Ungratek posted:

how the gently caress does ISU have such a big basketball fan base here

There's only like two or three longtime fans to my knowledge. They're a fun team to watch and got some good pub last year so I think more people are aware of us now.

Ross fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 27, 2015

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I grew up in Ames and went to ISU.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Thoguh posted:

... Coach?

No but he used to shoot baskets on the court in my backyard when he was young! Or the court at the house I grew up in, rather (we didn't live there at the time).

The coaches I've seen at ISU are Johnny Orr, Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy :getin:, Wayne Morgan :barf:, Greg McDermott :barf:, and Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Great second half by ISU today.

Monté Morris is a stud.

• Locked thread