Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
gently caress off Miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Colorado State goes down at New Mexico, so only three unbeatens left, and they're probably the three best so far this season. (Even if UVA had to grind like hell to keep it today.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UVA game at Notre Dame just got a lot more interesting.

Asnorban posted:

Really didn't think Roy was going to call a timeout. Ugh

So they can learn new tricks.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tulsa's about to win at Temple, which is a pretty big turnaround win for a team that was losing at home to a D2 school less than a month ago. Still not happy the school's associated with Frank Haith, but have to give him credit for this one.

Next up is UConn at home, probably the highest profile out-of-state opponent to play in Tulsa in many years.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

UVA probably gonna lose this one at Notre Dame but I'll miss the rest of it attending a beach wedding so can't really be fussed.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This has been a quality weekend.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Ungratek posted:

Virginia doubling up Clemson in the second half. Outscoring them 29-6 in the second half with 8 to go.

This team is dang good and I like it and its cool

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to play this UVA team.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Virginia is #1 on Kenpom for exactly the length of time it takes the algorithm to add in the ongoing UK massacre of Mizzou.

Also Gonzaga has been #3 since Duke lost to State, which is pretty hilarious.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Speaking of Haith, Tulsa's up 16 now on UConn with under 10 minutes left.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

You mean Rodney Purvis isn't going to lead UCONN to the NCAA championship?

you know when you drive a Ferrari off the lot its value drops by like half immediately

edit: Tulsa wins, not worth speculating past this though as still plenty of chances to gently caress up.

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 14, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I paid good money for my diploma. I give to the VAF. It's we, dammit.

Even having their name on my paychecks and having been a tutor in the JPJ academic center for four years now, I still can't think of UVA as an "us"—part of that is still the doom of being a State fan first, and part of it is just feeling weird about that collective plural generally.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

welp

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Was wondering how Villanova got up to 3rd or 4th on Kenpom since I hadn't seen much of anything about them this year. Fortunately Georgetown is making sure I won't have to wonder much longer.

edit: also drat Kansas gave up that 20 point lead fast

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 20, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

As Florida and Georgia struggle at home to LSU and Ole Miss, respectively, let's all remember that away to UF and UGA are (per Kenpom) the hardest games left for Kentucky this season.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Baylor is playing NAIA school Huston-Tillotson tonight, for whatever reason.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tulsa hosting Memphis tonight. The UConn win was huge, but the Memphis win would be more satisfying, and they may not get a better chance at it.

While together in C-USA, Tulsa went 1-15 against Memphis; the lone win was in 2011 against the worst Memphis team since Kenpom started measuring. It wasn't any coincidence that Tulsa only got back to the NCAAs once Memphis left the conference; the Tigers pretty much were a lock to win the automatic bid every year—even that 2011 team won it.

Now they've been thrown back together in the AAC, and Tulsa's actually a better team, by the numbers. A win would get that monkey off the back, as well as preserve a spotless conference start.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tulsa ends up winning by 18 and the game wasn't even really competitive the second half.

6-0 now in the AAC, though the schedule's really backloaded. Could be 10-0 when SMU comes to town in February.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Best guess I have heard is that Drew wanted to keep the normal game preparation rhythm going during their bye so they scheduled a total bodybag rather than sit idle.

So it's actually way odder than that. Like, odd to the point that Samuel L. Jackson was nearly involved.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Remind me never to watch a Virginia basketball game.

Was at the Georgia Tech game. Was like watching a puny kid trying to attack a big kid, only the big kid has his hand on the puny one's forehead so none of the flailing, desperate punches have any chance of connecting.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Potentially decent finish on ESPN2, VCU up a point at St. Louis, under two minutes.

edit: VCU survives.

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 24, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tulsa wins a way-too-close game at ECU to go 7-0 in the AAC. That would have been a really bad loss.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

So much filler in the ACC this year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

This Notre Dame game has the feel of a season definer for NC State. Every other game is either against a bad team they should beat, or away to a really good team they won't beat. The only exception is Virginia in Raleigh which I really can't see happening.

So this is probably the last reasonable chance to add a resume win. Expecting a total flop instead, of course.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

total choke, as expected. decent but just not quite good enough, as per usual.

that'd be almost comforting, as State shouldn't lose too much for next year, except that they literally don't have a single recruit incoming in this next freshman class.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I love on the second one where Tobey is jumping his best, bless his heart, but also just looking skyward, slack-jawed, as if Justin Anderson is performing some sort of unfathomable aerobatic maneuver overhead.

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 27, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

It was like the last OOC game for both teams so it really wasn't that early in the season.

Maybe UGA is better than I give them credit for. God, I'm a fan and I'm so hard on them. I guess I still have issues with when Dennis Felton was here in Athens. They're up m Vandy at home right now and if the don't blow it in the last minutes of the Arkansas and LSU games they would be at the top of the conference with Kentucky.

Georgia is the second-best team in the SEC, for whatever that's worth. (Bearing in mind that the Kenpom all-SEC team at this point is five Kentucky players.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tulsa wins at Tulane to go 8-0 in the AAC. Again, still a very back-loaded schedule, but they've got two more easily winnable games, then 6 of the last 8 are against kenpom top-100 teams.

I dunno, I still don't like Haith as a hire, but feel pretty lovely criticizing him for the SE Okla St loss after finding out about his family issues around that time. The real test will be recruiting for future years at a small school with fairly strict academic standards, but for this year at least he's doing all that can be expected to position them for a run at the AAC title.

edit: congrats VT for getting off the schneid

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 28, 2015

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State improves vastly in the second half but can't recover from the fat wet poo poo they took on the court in the first. Shy of a miracle against UVA or away to UNC/Louisville, that's a season-wrecking loss.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

wait, how did Georgia Tech win by 20 at Miami? that's far and away the weirdest result in the ACC this year

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Arizona-Oregon State is 24-13 at the half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

That kinda sucked. Ah well, nobody was running the table in this year's ACC. UVA-UNC is set up to be a pretty great game, tough turnaround time for both.

Meanwhile Lacey's gamewinner at GT today was pretty great, even if they shouldn't have been anywhere near overtime against that team.

• Locked thread