Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

chumbler posted:

Invisible, Inc. looks cool but is early access. Has anyone taken the plunge on it that can give an impression of it?

I bought it so I'll let you know once I'm done with Lovely Planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

should I play Transistor

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bluemidget posted:

Lisa is good.

In what sense? What did you enjoy about it? What do you wish they had done better?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Story was great, the setting was interesting, lots of weird dark humor while having a serious plot. Tons of party members, most of them with unique poo poo. Music is really good, lot of flavor to it.
Fights are like Earthbound, but very few spots with infinite random encounters, most enemies are set pieces that move around or ambush you on the field. Because of that, early on its difficult to get too much money or experince as encounters are almost a commodity, plus restingto heal is risky cause bad poo poo can happen. And theres a bunch to explore but the hub areas that tie them together are hard to navigate around.
Thats all that really bugged me, other than that its fantastic. The developer just added a new hard mode that makes save points explode after used once, bout to try that out.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

*talks louder thist ime* HEY SHOULD I PLAY TRANSISTOR!!!!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

You definitely should play a game by the people who made Bastion. lmfao

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Dexters Secret posted:

Did you like Bastion? if so, then yes.

Also still probably yes even if you didn't like Bastion. Transistor is pretty cool and has a cool soundtrack to boot.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

the gameplay is RE4 quality, in terms of fun, controls, enemy variety, etc. the story is a joke and the amount of unskippable cutscenes are annoying and that brings it down.

theres also an upgrade system for the guns like RE4's but it's stupid because the upgrades are so tiny that even when a gun is at max level it's like 20% stronger than the default.

But how quotable is the script?

sigs
May 29, 2013

How long is 999 and is it better or worse than the good ace attorneys (1,3,aai2)?

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

sigs posted:

How long is 999 and is it better or worse than the good ace attorneys (1,3,aai2)?

6 hours or so. I didn't go back and get the other endings but I probably will eventually.

It's less of a game than AA, pretty much a straight visual novel with hidden item puzzles.

Come to think of it it's an anime mom game version of saw.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Pewdiepie posted:

Recettear is stupid and you'll play it for maybe 1 session then never load it again.

this has been my experience

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If there's one thing I hate in RPGs it's those annoying shop minigames. Why would anyone make that HALF THE GAME!?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The annoying part of Recettear is trying to get your dungeon crawling people to buy the cool sword you have sitting out instead of a candy bar.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bluemidget posted:

Story was great, the setting was interesting, lots of weird dark humor while having a serious plot. Tons of party members, most of them with unique poo poo. Music is really good, lot of flavor to it.
Fights are like Earthbound, but very few spots with infinite random encounters, most enemies are set pieces that move around or ambush you on the field. Because of that, early on its difficult to get too much money or experince as encounters are almost a commodity, plus restingto heal is risky cause bad poo poo can happen. And theres a bunch to explore but the hub areas that tie them together are hard to navigate around.
Thats all that really bugged me, other than that its fantastic. The developer just added a new hard mode that makes save points explode after used once, bout to try that out.

You had me at "flavor". Bought.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Eye of Widesauron posted:

The annoying part of Recettear is trying to get your dungeon crawling people to buy the cool sword you have sitting out instead of a candy bar.
Only sell that sword.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
the shopkeeping mechanic in reccetear was pretty fun + unique, but the dungeon-crawling was incredibly grindy and boring. I still enjoyed it on balance but I can't blame anyone who didn't

Axel Serenity posted:

Did you like Bastion? if so, then yes.

Also still probably yes even if you didn't like Bastion. Transistor is pretty cool and has a cool soundtrack to boot.

counterpoint: if you liked bastion, and want to preserve your fond memories of bastion, do not play transistor.

Dec 26, 2012

transistor isnt bad but a lot of it did feel like it was tacked on in an attempt to recapture stuff bastion did right without any real understanding for why it was that way or what made it work. standard sequel poo poo

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life: which one should I buy today.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Great Joe posted:

If there's one thing I hate in RPGs it's those annoying shop minigames. Why would anyone make that HALF THE GAME!?

If you thought the dungeon part was better, or good at all even, you're mentally ill, and I'm sorry.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life: which one should I buy today.

I liked Link Between Worlds the best out of those three but Bravely Default is pretty good too. Just sucks when you start repeating stuff.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

LBW ftw.

Dec 26, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

lbw for sure

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

You definitely should play a game by the people who made Bastion. lmfao

lol

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

This is actually the only thing about Recettear I didn't like.

Oh and the little girls that refuse to pay more than 1% above base price. gently caress them.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Mach2 posted:

This is actually the only thing about Recettear I didn't like.

Oh and the little girls that refuse to pay more than 1% above base price. gently caress them.

The little girls can have their cash flow leveled up and they end up paying absurd amounts of money for dumb poo poo like chocolate bars. It just takes awhile to get there. Also please don't gently caress them.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
the best thing is when the old man comes in and says he desperately needs metal stuff and he'll be back because you can buy vending machines and sell them to him at a crazy markup

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Doctor Goat posted:

the best thing is when the old man comes in and says he desperately needs metal stuff and he'll be back because you can buy vending machines and sell them to him at a crazy markup

I didn't know you could do that with vending machines...can you put the vending machines INSIDE a vending machine?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I bought LBW

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

I didn't know you could do that with vending machines...can you put the vending machines INSIDE a vending machine?

you could when i played it but it got patched out unfortunately, i dont see anything wrong with nested vending machines

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If you thought the dungeon part was better, or good at all even, you're mentally ill, and I'm sorry.
Look at this guy who plays games for their story.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Does Persona 2 hold up well because both parts are on PSN and I kind of want to get it on my Vita.

sigs
May 29, 2013

thuly posted:

6 hours or so. I didn't go back and get the other endings but I probably will eventually.

It's less of a game than AA, pretty much a straight visual novel with hidden item puzzles.

Come to think of it it's an anime mom game version of saw.

OK that's pretty short, ty

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Contest Winner posted:

Does Persona 2 hold up well because both parts are on PSN and I kind of want to get it on my Vita.

They run a bit slow but the characters own. There's a guy in one of them that fights using coins he flicks REALLY HARD.

the concept of rumors becoming reality also owns a lot

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So if I thought Final Fantasy 13 was a tedious slog with an uncertain battle system that took me 50 hours, how much will I like 13-2 and 13-3?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if I thought Final Fantasy 13 was a tedious slog with an uncertain battle system that took me 50 hours, how much will I like 13-2 and 13-3?

You'll have a great time brother.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Bravely Default is a turd

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I wish Reccetear was more focused on the selling concept, the dungeon crawling bored me to tears. It would be cool to like to open franchises in dungeons or other cities, corner the market on elixirs and Phoenix downs.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

Buy both of them anyway.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DICKHEAD posted:

Bravely Default is a turd

i t was full of epic boss fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

theyre really good. i dont ca re whether you end up liking them though. fyad btich

• Locked thread