Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:siren: http://supersystems.itch.io/driftstagealpha :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVFjYinlXPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

This looks rad as hell

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
holy poo poo a demo came out for this?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
great engine sound lol

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

No Such Thing posted:

This looks rad as hell
It's rad as hell to play, too. Go on, give it a try, demo's free. :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

I'll have to check this out later op
Would you mind switching the tag to Cars? I hosed up, sorry. :(

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the novice car is kicking my rear end for real. i have to be pretty on point with the drifts. seems cool

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cool, that's much better. :)

Mr. Pumroy posted:

the novice car is kicking my rear end for real. i have to be pretty on point with the drifts. seems cool
The key is to narrow down how much time you need for drifting and never drifting more than that. Don't crash, and try to keep your speed down on that one really long right-hand turn at the latter half of the track. Also, try to make sure you take turns outside-inside-outside.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

The most underrated thread...

I suck pretty loving bad at the demo but it's still fun.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You can do it, metricchip, I believe in you. :)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
cons
had to use joy2key to play with my fightstick

pros

literally everything else

I loving love the artstyle in this so god drat much

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Most fun I've had with a racing game since Ridge Racer R4.

two small gripes:

1.) no rolling start
2.) no rapid chassis vibration a la SCUD race (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3zkcy1Sag4)

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 5, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
art style looks really cool but the drifting in particular looks pretty dumb to me. Like your car just turns like it's on a big wheel or something.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

PantsBandit posted:

art style looks really cool but the drifting in particular looks pretty dumb to me. Like your car just turns like it's on a big wheel or something.

go play forza or something if you want driving physics thats not what this game is about.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

SeXReX posted:

go play forza or something if you want driving physics thats not what this game is about.

I don't give a poo poo about realistic physics but in a game about drifting the drifting should actually look cool

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, the demo is clearly as early as they could have released it. I'm betting rolling starts will come in a future update. Not sure about the chassis vibration though, even if it does look cool.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
beta access should be gated by one's ability to beat the expert level ghost

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pics or it didn't happen, Extra.

PantsBandit posted:

Rotating on a pivot is integral to the classic arcade racing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBG0KbrYfts

Yes, transitioning into and out of a drift looks weightless, but once you're in a drift, the car tilts and turns in a way that looks much more polished. I kinda take that as a hint that the transition animation definitely isn't final.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No Such Thing posted:

This looks rad as hell

But is it as Rad as Rad Racer?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Rad Racer has a 3D goggles mode, but Drift Stage is in fully rendered 3D. I think the answer's obvious.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Great Joe posted:

Rad Racer has a 3D goggles mode, but Drift Stage is in fully rendered 3D. I think the answer's obvious.

rad racer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, Rad Racer II

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Das Butterbrot posted:

great engine sound lol

better than gran turismo :D

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As someone who loves drifting in spergy racing sims, this is the perfect arcade drifting game.

I like how the drifting just snaps into DRIFT MODE, arcadey as hell and I love it.

Also reminds me of Sky Rogue in terms of style.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 5, 2015

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

they should do a hotline Miami crossover

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jehde posted:

As someone who loves drifting in spergy racing sims, this is the perfect arcade drifting game.

I like how the drifting just snaps into DRIFT MODE, arcadey as hell and I love it.

Also reminds me of Sky Rogue in terms of style.
DelkoDuck is the artist on both of those. He kind of really, really likes the late '80s and early '90s.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

...and I love him for that.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Jeff Gerstman from giantbomb.com said that this game is bad.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

So, I cracked 1:20, got a time of 1:19.989. My car was clearly in front of the Expert ghost, but the game didn't say I beat it. I wonder if it's a glitch. :confused:

Oh well, I bet I can beat that time later. :v:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I managed to beat Intermediate and get my time down to 1.23.244 before getting frustrated by that last huge curve. This game owns bones, though

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Oh, the key with that (I assume you mean the spiral) is to drift early. Watch for the point where the Expert car starts drifting in it and try to drift around that point, just keep pressing inwards until the turn lets up, and then press inwards again when it comes back.

Oh, and I just beat the Expert ghost.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Great Joe posted:

Oh, the key with that (I assume you mean the spiral) is to drift early. Watch for the point where the Expert car starts drifting in it and try to drift around that point, just keep pressing inwards until the turn lets up, and then press inwards again when it comes back.

Oh, and I just beat the Expert ghost.

Congrats. I'm probably gonna give it another shot after work today. It's a shame this thread hasn't gotten a lot of attention, Drift Stage fuckin' rules

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Thank you! :woop:

Eh, sometimes good things come in small packages. Besides, I quite like the slow pace, it means the angrier part of the crowd has steered clear. :)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Why would I play this instead of f zero gx?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Why would I watch Pulp Fiction instead of Vertigo?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm sorry if that came across as rude, I am genuinely curious what this game offers

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Looper posted:

I'm sorry if that came across as rude, I am genuinely curious what this game offers

a cool look and really minimalistic racing gameplay, but in a good way

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Hopefully the full game has an instant reset button, it's kind of annoying to gently caress up the first corner but still have to drive for another minute and twenty seconds to try again.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

chiefnewo posted:

Hopefully the full game has an instant reset button, it's kind of annoying to gently caress up the first corner but still have to drive for another minute and twenty seconds to try again.
Yeah, a "reset with rolling start" button would be great.

Looper posted:

Oh, okay. Sorry for taking you the wrong way. :)

Anyway, for now it's just a demo with one stage and some unfinished assets, but the full game seems like it'll be a fun game about cornering with abstract physics. The game is downright explicit about drifting being a mode separate from normal driving, and asks you to see whether you can exit a drift early without crashing into a wall. It doesn't feel fast, at least not yet, but they've managed to make taking a corner well feel very rewarding. It's really colourful, which both looks nice and helps you judge how you want to approach the road in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

I get that they're going for a certain aesthetic with the predominately pink pallette, but I'd like to see a bit more colour in there so it isn't all quite so samey.

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, a "reset with rolling start" button would be great.

A rolling start for the first lap too.

• Locked thread