Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Genre: Historical open world stealth action-adventure
Released: 13 November 2007 (PS3, 360), 8 April 2008 (PC)

Assassin's Creed is the first in a series of historical stealth action-adventure games that cover the centuries-long conflict between the Assassin and the Templars. In this game, we play as Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad (الطائر ابن لا أحد, meaning "The Bird Son of No One") an Arab Assassin who lived during the Third Crusade. Forsaken by the Assassin's Brotherhood by his own careless actions, Altaïr must redeem himself by assassinating nine high-profile Templar targets and uncovering their covert agenda.

What kind of LP will this be?

This will be a heavily edited LP, featuring Altaïr's story and completely omitting all present-day sequences with Desmond and the Animus (if you don't know who or what that is, don't worry).

As I have beaten the game already, commentary will be informative. While I will occasionally mention relevant historical information, this LP will not be a history lesson. For that, I'd recommend Geop's excellent Assassin's Creed LP.

This will a 100% run. I will not show the vast majority of side content, although I will include some when it enhances the LP's presentation.

Why did you omit the present-day sequences?

I don't enjoy the present-day sequences. For the most part, they are tedious asides with uninteresting characters and an uninspired framing device.

As it is, Altaïr's story is virtually self-contained, with a few interruptions due to present-day events. It's also really good, taking place in by far my favorite featured setting in all the Assassin's Creed games.

How often will you update?

I will try to release updates at least once every week. Please understand that due to the time it takes to edit footage and record commentary, I am unable to commit to a higher frequency of updates.

Why does the game look better now than when played it?

I'm using the Assassin's Creed 2014 Overhaul mod, with the author's custom SweetFX preset. Features of the mod include:

- Improves over 600 textures.
- Uses content from Assassin's Creed Revelations, a later game in the series that included sequences that take place in the same settings and with the same characters as those that appear in Assassin's Creed.
- Includes time of day variations for each city. I'll try to show off at least some of these.
- Improves the HUD (I've disabled most it for this LP).

Do you plan to cover the other games in the series?

I've never played any other game in the series, although I recently picked up all of them. I'll play through them myself first, then decide if I want to cover those as well.

Episodes (YouTube):
  • Episode 1: Deep in Solomon's Temple, we steal the Ark of the Covenant from the Templars. However, our recklessness draws the Templars to our home, and a battle ensues. Having caused numerous deaths of our own kind, our leader sees fit to end our tenure as an Assassin.
  • Episode 2: Stripped of our rank, we relearn everything that we thought we knew about being an Assassin. Al Mualim tasks us with apprehending the traitor who led the Templars into Masyaf. Through eavesdropping, pickpocketing, and interrogation—all tools of the Assassin's trade—we find the traitor and deliver him to justice. Having passed Al Mualim's test, he sends us to Damascus, where we will locate the first of nine Templars who must be killed to stop the Crusade.
  • Episode 3: In the Poor Quarter of Damascus, we hunt for the black market merchant Tamir, who is profiting from the war.
  • Episode 4: We head to Jerusalem to make the slaver Talal pay for his crimes.
  • Episode 5: We ask around the Poor District of Acre for an appointment with the good doctor Garnier de Naplouse.
  • Episode 6: We return to Jerusalem to deliver karmic retribution upon the executioner Majd Addin
  • Episode 7: We skirt the port of Acre to gain entry into King Richard's Citadel, where William of Montferrat plots his schemes.
  • Episode 8: We search the Rich District of Damascus for clues to our next target, the Merchant King Abu'l Nuqoud.
  • Episode 9: We make one final trip to Damascus to track down Jubair al Hakim, a scholar who would rather see the world's knowledge burn than fall into the wrong hands.
  • Episode 10: We visit Acre one last time to validate the paranoia of Knights Teutonic Grand Master Sibrand.
  • Episode 11: De Sable gives chase, but our true foe lies in wait... THE END.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.
Just to say in answer to your thread title, no. If nothing is true then nothing is true. "True" just doesn't mean what you think it means.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Indeterminacy posted:

Just to say in answer to your thread title, no. If nothing is true then nothing is true. "True" just doesn't mean what you think it means.

It was intentionally sophomoric. :what:

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 4, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The first Assassin's Creed is an interesting animal. It's got most of the gameplay elements of the series, but less evolved and elaborate. It's about assassinating people instead of economical side-activities and side-missions, but that means it gets repetitive.

I wonder: How did Altair become such a high-ranking Assassin while still being so head-strong and unwilling to follow the Creed?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

LoonShia posted:

The first Assassin's Creed is an interesting animal. It's got most of the gameplay elements of the series, but less evolved and elaborate. It's about assassinating people instead of economical side-activities and side-missions, but that means it gets repetitive.

I wonder: How did Altair become such a high-ranking Assassin while still being so head-strong and unwilling to follow the Creed?

He was good enough at what he did to advance, but he didn't have a lot of the personality traits needed to handle the responsibility of that advancement, I suppose.

Or in other words, Altair at the beginning of the game is a living embodiment of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Principle

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

As Lustful Man Hugs pointed out, Altair had a lot of skill and could probably "talk the talk" for a while. He didn't fool Al Mualim, but maybe Al Mualim had hopes that Altair would turn around. Altair's blunder at the beginning of the game is reason enough for Al Mualim to take more drastic measures.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode:

Episode 2: Stripped of our rank, we relearn everything that we thought we knew about being an Assassin. Al Mualim tasks us with apprehending the traitor who led the Templars into Masyaf. Through eavesdropping, pickpocketing, and interrogation—all tools of the Assassin's trade—we find the traitor and deliver him to justice. Having passed Al Mualim's test, he sends us to Damascus, where we will locate the first of nine Templars who must be killed to stop the Crusade.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode:

Episode 3: In the Poor Quarter of Damascus, we hunt for the black market merchant Tamir, who is profiting from the war.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I quite like the equipment progression in this game, since it's tied to the story, rather than your bank account.

It makes sense to get stuff back from your boss after you've proven yourself. It gives you character motivation to keep doing well in the assassination missions, and maybe do some optional objectives to show Daddy you're worthy of once again wielding your knife or whatnot.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Do you even assassinate people anymore in AC games?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

LoonShia posted:

I quite like the equipment progression in this game, since it's tied to the story, rather than your bank account.

It makes sense to get stuff back from your boss after you've proven yourself. It gives you character motivation to keep doing well in the assassination missions, and maybe do some optional objectives to show Daddy you're worthy of once again wielding your knife or whatnot.

Taking away equipment is one thing, but how did he make Altair forget combat skills?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

WaltherFeng posted:

Do you even assassinate people anymore in AC games?

Kind... of...? ACIII was mostly about setting up your homestead and a trading empire on the Eastern Seaboard, along with jumping on bears from trees. Haven't played any of the newer AC games.

Assassinating is your main tool in these games, and the climax of every sequence is generally stabbing a guy and hearing his backstory, Metal Gear style, but these games are overshadowed with so much extraneous BS that the stabbing doesn't much matter anymore.

That's why I liked the Ezio games, especially ACII, boilerplate revenge story that it was. For all the Templar Lairs, Borgia towers and feathers, it was mostly about the insertion of Knife A into Neck B, and the tools you kept buying and getting from your inventor bro made it easier to stab people, even from a distance.

I even liked Revelations, mostly due to Sofia Sartor and the unlockable suits of armor what had the scary face-mask on them.

There's something relaxing about running about in a fairly decently realized historical setting and jumping about on faithfully rendered architecture, throwing poison darts at guards and making them do a little dance.

That's my thoughts on the Assassin's Creed franchise. Now someone else can have a go.

PS: The Desmond story wasn't that bad.

Kopijeger posted:

Taking away equipment is one thing, but how did he make Altair forget combat skills?

EDIT: Maybe Altair needed special equipment to be able to do his combat moves efficiently? I dunno.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 20, 2015

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Al Mualim hints that Altair slept the "sleep of death," which suggests that he might have been able to induce temporary amnesia in his student until he could reawaken him. Is that too much of a stretch?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Tamir was a total rear end in a top hat.

I wonder if that was just for the intro and they'll get more ambiguous. Or maybe nobody would want them dead if they weren't assholes. Could go either way.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

I wonder if that was just for the intro and they'll get more ambiguous. Or maybe nobody would want them dead if they weren't assholes. Could go either way.

The monologues that the targets have after you kill them reveal that they believe they were actually serving a higher, nobler purpose in their crimes (you'll see this more clearly in the upcoming update). There is definitely ambiguity in whether or not they really were doing good, or if their evil had simply rotted their sense of reason.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode:

Episode 4: We head to Jerusalem to make the slaver Talal pay for his crimes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Why do I get the feeling our grandmaster is speaking from personal experience at the end there?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

The wheel keeps on spinning. Unfortunately, I took ill this weekend and lost my voice. I'll record as soon as it's in a presentable state.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Oh man, Assassin's Creed is one of my absolute favorite franchises. So far I have 100% cleared the storyline and collectables for AC1 (XBox 360 1000gs), ACII (PC) and Brotherhood (PC). I was planning on playing up till the end of the Desmond saga + Liberation then holding off until I had a new console or PC.

AC1 is an absolutely fascinating game to me. The historical setting is really great and even though the game play is rough compared to later titles all the major mechanics are pretty much there. My biggest issue with the game is that it tends to be just kinda... boring to play. Some of the missions are fun as hell, but all the getting ready and (optional) flag hunting just really sucks the life out of it. Once you get some of your gear back though Altaïr has some serous power behind him. I also seem to remember the game not telling you something pretty important except casually long after it would have been great to know: pickpocket big guys for more knives.

As for this mod it sounds really good. I'm really looking forward to Revelations after a short AC break, but the idea of just putting it all in to one narrative experience seem neat. The present day Desmond's scenes really suck in this game, so I don't begrudge you for not bothering with them. I personally like his storyline, but these ones are bare bones, at best. And don't matter at all unlike some of them in the Eizo trilogy. Also if you haven't shown it yet, make sure to find one of the dozens of Prime pieces of real estate.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode:

Episode 5: We ask around the Poor District of Acre for an appointment with the good doctor Garnier de Naplouse.

Apologies for the delay and for any residual stuffiness.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Zushio posted:

AC1 is an absolutely fascinating game to me. The historical setting is really great and even though the game play is rough compared to later titles all the major mechanics are pretty much there. My biggest issue with the game is that it tends to be just kinda... boring to play. Some of the missions are fun as hell, but all the getting ready and (optional) flag hunting just really sucks the life out of it. Once you get some of your gear back though Altaïr has some serous power behind him. I also seem to remember the game not telling you something pretty important except casually long after it would have been great to know: pickpocket big guys for more knives.

It's definitely my favorite setting, and there's not a lot to distract you from assassinations (other than doing side missions in preparation). I'm hoping that my editing shows off the unique parts of the game while eliminating most of the tedium. You might notice that updates get a little more compact as we move on; that's just because there will be less new content to show.

Also, yeah, the on-screen help text totally tells you how to refill your daggers, but I didn't get the memo until I actually was editing the footage. Hopefully I can show them off nex update.

Zushio posted:

As for this mod it sounds really good. I'm really looking forward to Revelations after a short AC break, but the idea of just putting it all in to one narrative experience seem neat. The present day Desmond's scenes really suck in this game, so I don't begrudge you for not bothering with them. I personally like his storyline, but these ones are bare bones, at best. And don't matter at all unlike some of them in the Eizo trilogy. Also if you haven't shown it yet, make sure to find one of the dozens of Prime pieces of real estate.

I don't have any immediate plan to LP the other games, so I don't think I'll be showing any of that off. Also, the mod only uses textures from Revelations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Rush_shirt posted:

I don't have any immediate plan to LP the other games, so I don't think I'll be showing any of that off. Also, the mod only uses textures from Revelations.

Oh, I must have misread. Either way that's pretty cool no matter what. AC1 was a really early 360/PS3 title and while it hasn't aged horribly it could use an update graphically.

As for that tutorial, I swear I never saw it until one if the very last memories. The actual stealth and "sneaking" engine in place in these games is clunky at best. It's almost entirely based on line of sight, and the lack of a crouch or take cover mechanic really hinders it. That and how sticky Altier is on certain terrain. Stealth is more about sneaking up on each person in an area rather than ghosting.

Not sure if Ascension and on helps this at all obviously, but a better active stealth system would be high on my list for AC improvements.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zushio posted:

Oh, I must have misread. Either way that's pretty cool no matter what. AC1 was a really early 360/PS3 title and while it hasn't aged horribly it could use an update graphically.

As for that tutorial, I swear I never saw it until one if the very last memories. The actual stealth and "sneaking" engine in place in these games is clunky at best. It's almost entirely based on line of sight, and the lack of a crouch or take cover mechanic really hinders it. That and how sticky Altier is on certain terrain. Stealth is more about sneaking up on each person in an area rather than ghosting.

Not sure if Ascension and on helps this at all obviously, but a better active stealth system would be high on my list for AC improvements.

Newer AC games have mechanics for sneaking without having to parkour: Ezio can blend with groups, or hire prostitutes to act as mobile hiding spots; and Connor (III) and Edward (IV) can walk around in high grass or climb trees.

But yeah, ghosting isn't really an option, other than when it's mandatory.

As for the actual LP what we are watching: I like how the Templars you kill have decent explanations for what they are doing. Could it perhaps be that Altair is doing more harm than good?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode

Episode 6: We return to Jerusalem to deliver karmic retribution upon the executioner Majd Addin.

It wasn't apparent to me when I was editing, but the assassination sequence in the original video that I uploaded had some significant stuttering issues. I've uploaded an alternate cut. I had turned the bitrate up, but I guess my computer can't handle certain areas, so I'll turn it back down.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 13, 2015

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode

Episode 7: We skirt the port of Acre to gain entry into King Richard's Citadel, where William of Montferrat plots his schemes.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Even though the game design's starting to show its age, this is still one of my favorite PS3 era games. Excising the future-lab interstitials is a pretty good idea for an LP too. I do miss seeing the bizarre death's door chats with the important victims, although using the audio over the running away segments is okay.

That said, do they ever explain that mind-reading thing that only happens with high-value targets in later games in the series? It always seemed a little weird that the magic never works on the lesser informants and various guards you murder. And I suppose it's also probably better to not try to understand how that interacts with the whole past-life-of-ancestors-memory-machine technology.

Assassins Creed- don't think about it, just parkour up famous buildings and stab and stab and stab.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode

Episode 8: We search the Rich District of Damascus for clues to our next target, the Merchant King Abu'l Nuqoud.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What did Al-Mualim give you at the end there?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LoonShia posted:

What did Al-Mualim give you at the end there?

It was the defense break ability, which I could not pull off. I'll include it in the next update once I figure out the trick to executing it.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 8, 2015

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Fat, evil, gay dude isn't my favorite target in this game even if the area is pretty nice, but I do have a great deal of love for backhanded compliments guy. What a dick.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Fat, evil, gay dude isn't my favorite target in this game even if the area is pretty nice, but I do have a great deal of love for backhanded compliments guy. What a dick.

Abu'l Nuquod isn't very well-written, and his introductory speech is too long. Personally, I liked the doctor, Garnier de Naplouse, best in that regard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I liked how the assassination contained a speedy chase with the mark yelling for his guards, instead of a stealthy "blade in a crowd".

This is also how I tend to play these games, because I'm not very good at them.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LoonShia posted:

I liked how the assassination contained a speedy chase with the mark yelling for his guards, instead of a stealthy "blade in a crowd".

This is also how I tend to play these games, because I'm not very good at them.

I can't remember if it's possible to just sneak up and kill him, but regardless, Assassin's Creed really has horrible stealth mechanics so I don't feel bad if I blew an opportunity there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's not really a stealth game, to be sure.

Also, didn't one of the informants tell you that you could climb some scaffolding to the mark's private chambers? Could you have gone there and killed him if he outran you?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

LoonShia posted:

Also, didn't one of the informants tell you that you could climb some scaffolding to the mark's private chambers? Could you have gone there and killed him if he outran you?

Not sure, but I would not give the game that much credit. I'm guessing the assassination would just have failed.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode

Episode 9: We make one final trip to Damascus to track down Jubair al Hakim, a scholar who would rather see the world's knowledge burn than fall into the wrong hands.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

New Episode

Episode 10: We visit Acre one last time to validate the paranoia of Knights Teutonic Grand Master Sibrand.

This is the second-to-last episode. Next week we'll take on Robert DeSable and whatever else lies before us...

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 22, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This was always my favorite assassination in the game. You've finally got all of Acre open, you have a target who is entirely unsympathetic, yet you can empathize with his motivations, and he's completely out in the open, butt it just makes him harder to reach.

The biggest issue I had with this game that the sequels fixed is replaying anything is a pain in the rear end, since you have to start any mission with Al-Mualim's talk at Masyaf and you can't skip cutscenes. If I wanna tool around in Acre for a bit, I need to sit through a speech every drat time. :(

Also, the Uplay launcher is broken for me right now, and I just installed the newest version. Is this a common issue?

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

This was always my favorite assassination in the game. You've finally got all of Acre open, you have a target who is entirely unsympathetic, yet you can empathize with his motivations, and he's completely out in the open, butt it just makes him harder to reach.

The biggest issue I had with this game that the sequels fixed is replaying anything is a pain in the rear end, since you have to start any mission with Al-Mualim's talk at Masyaf and you can't skip cutscenes. If I wanna tool around in Acre for a bit, I need to sit through a speech every drat time. :(

Also, the Uplay launcher is broken for me right now, and I just installed the newest version. Is this a common issue?

I don't think Assassin's Creed 1 uses Uplay. I'm running the Dx9 executable through a texturing program, so I don't even open Steam to get my footage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh. I was trying to run AC2 and was just venting some frustration. Maybe I'll just stab some templars with Altaïr instead, then!

• Locked thread