Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I would imagine that you'd probably have two types of customers, the ones that want to host it on premises, and the ones that want you to host it for them so they don't have to think about it. Take Atlassian for example, they offer Bitbucket as well as Stash to satisfy the needs of different customers.

For the ones that you host for them, does it have to be a separate environment for each customer? Or could you turn it into a multi-tenant solution where you can host multiple customers on the same set of servers?

quote:

What kind of support would the company be expected to give to whomever buys the rights to use this service?

That's really a business strategy question that I don't think we can give you an answer for. The short answer would be, whatever they are willing to buy that you are willing to sell. For some businesses, support/services is a big chunk of revenue. For others, not so much.

As far as the packaging/distributing question, there's a lot of different answers.

Maybe something like a custom AMI on the Amazon Marketplace that is pre-configured and ready to roll so customers can spin it up and pay you by the hour for usage. Or maybe you spin up that AMI and manage the EC2 instance for them. Or maybe you could have a 'Deploy to Heroku' button and handle billing separately. Maybe you just send them a Vagrantfile or Dockerfile and they can do whatever they want with it. Maybe it makes sense to use something like Chef or Puppet in conjunction with these others so you can easily make changes to all the different customer environments at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread