Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

berserker posted:

I remember when Colbert Report started and people were saying "there's no way he's going to be able to keep up the faux-Bill O'Reilly schtick for long!"

I don't know who said that but they were full of poo poo because Colbert was loving stellar from the get-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know who said that but they were full of poo poo because Colbert was loving stellar from the get-go.

Nothing in that said Colbert wasn't stellar. It was 'that is a great schtick, but we doubt how long he can keep that up and still keep it fresh.' Turns out, it was 9 years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It helped that Colbert added the "Let's just do poo poo that I think would be cool if I had a TV show" like the green screen challenge and Guitarmageddon. Though he and the writers did ultimately manage to give the character enough substance to last for a while.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So how long until the Larry Wilmore backlash begins?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Regy Rusty posted:

The middle panel section was the only part of that I didn't like. It seemed like it was being played pretty much straight, but in such a short format it's even worse than usual because there isn't time for people to really talk. Both versions of the Keep it 100 thing were funny though. Hopefully they can figure out a better balance in the future.

Yeah, I liked the show and enjoy panel discussions, but it did feel like they kept jumping around to different things instead of discussing anything.

It's way better than Daily Show interviews, though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bill Burr should be the white guy voice every show

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Okay, so, got around to watching...

I'm kinda intrigued by Larry's take and angle on things, but then I am literally a White British Male Catholic, so this kinda thing is more news to me than it might be to others. Mind you, I can see how the panel segment kind of... goes on a bit, especially with the guests. Keep it 100 was actually kinda interesting, and I think it could work as long as it kept with the notion of trying to answer comedically - perhaps with more touches of Burr's black comedy (in more ways than one I suppose) - rather than seriously.

Generally I'd say give it the usual few weeks to find its footing, but I'd agree with the sentiment that its weakness right now is trying to find some sort of balance in its main panel segment. I suspect that unlike the earlier examples I referenced - Mock the Week and Have I Got News For You - Wilmore doesn't want it to be one long sketch, but at the same time, he hasn't quite got the tone, time, or I'd even say contrast of viewpoints to make it quite so effective. Probably the bit where I listened most was when Burr raised the seeming paradox around protesting as a means of affecting change.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I liked the opening and Keep it 100 a lot. The middle panel segment did drag a bit, but I can see it improving with time. I'm not sure if Wilmore's moderated a panel before. The show is obviously inspired by the work of Bill Maher, and I'd love a version of Maher with a different focus and without his incredible smugness (and racism/anti-vaxxism/Islamophobia).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Echo Chamber posted:

So how long until the Larry Wilmore backlash begins?

Look in the right places and I wouldn't be surprised if it started before the show aired.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

zakharov posted:

I liked the opening and Keep it 100 a lot. The middle panel segment did drag a bit, but I can see it improving with time. I'm not sure if Wilmore's moderated a panel before. The show is obviously inspired by the work of Bill Maher, and I'd love a version of Maher with a different focus and without his incredible smugness (and racism/anti-vaxxism/Islamophobia).

I agree with this. I like the Bill Maher format, I just don't like Bill Maher. I really like where this show is going as long as they keep it funny.

Also seconding thinking the pictures in the corner were weird. It makes no sense other than to keep Larry in the middle of the frame.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

After watching the episode, I'm surprised by the criticism. I actually really liked the panel format, they tried something completely different and putting people on the spot with the whole keep it 100 thing was very funny. I can see quality fluctuate depending on who's on the panel, but I really like that it doesn't follow the typical sketch/correspondent segment -> celebrity interview format.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I'd certainly wait at least a week before coming to any real preliminary conclusions. It's a bit like watching one episode of Colbert and saying "Eh, this segment with him talking over video footage of people obsessed with corn and interrupting some guy in an interview a lot is a little weak, I'm not sure how this show can survive". One twenty-minute show just isn't enough time to get a feel for it.

So far, the introductory news segment wasn't bad, the panel was a bit too truncated and crowded for the time available to them, and the Keep It 100 was conflicted about where to take a balance between funny and thoughtful. We'll see how it shapes up.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Yeah I'm glad it wasn't just The Daily Show With A Black Host. I enjoyed it, even though I felt the middle panel segment leaned a little too much towards the type of shallow discussion you'd see on a CNN/MSNBC panel show.

I think this episode's weakness was largely due to this being the first show and trying to establish itself with very broad themes rather than focusing discussion on a specific topic or event.

I'm definitely optimistic.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I liked it fine overall, but my early thoughts are that "keep it 100" is a real waste of time to do with the panel every night, but if it becomes like the moment of zen that could totally work.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nightly show really does feel like a direct sequel of the daily show during the monologue opening bits. Kinda concerned what will happen when Wilmore covers a story that doesn't have a quick angle on it for him to work with - how does he differentiate himself from Stewart's schtick? Even colbert occasionally echoed TDS a little too closely from time to time.

I like the panel idea, but it definitely needs some finesse. Bill Maher is loud and combative, to the point where his panels all too often devolve into "Maher's opinion vs. anyone else". But Wilmore was drat near silent during the panel discussion, and I definitely felt his absence.

I could also give a poo poo if the panel discussion is "funny" or not. I'll take a tightly edited panel discussion over Stewart fluffing a celebrity's new project any day of the week.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
TNS certainly got a lot more funny every time they turned to Burr. I watch Maher from time to time and it actually sickens me every time he speaks about Muslims and terrorists.

I remember Colbert Report being a lot less polished at the start and it was really until the Robert Wexler interview (where he got a congressman to say that he likes hookers and blow) that I felt they really hit their stride. Maybe that's just what Larry needs.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I feel sorry for Wilmore, I'm around the same age and I would be terrified out of my mind trying to entertain 20-something fuckwits for 22 minutes a day. A 2 guest panel would probably work better, 4 is just too many people for too little time.

but yeah I say you gotta give it some time to hit its stride, I found the first few episodes of Oliver a bit boring but then something just clicked and it was the first thing I would watch every sunday night. In my dream world though Daily Show would expand to one hour, have more correspondant bits, and maybe fold in comics like Wilmore and Burr to have their own little segments like Lewis Black.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maxwell Lord posted:

It helped that Colbert added the "Let's just do poo poo that I think would be cool if I had a TV show" like the green screen challenge and Guitarmageddon. Though he and the writers did ultimately manage to give the character enough substance to last for a while.

Yeah the earnest conservative character faded after awhile. Remember David Cross's liberal foil from the first year, and how he was replaced with Tim Meadows acting a lot like the original Colbert since Colbert himself was mellowing?

Corek fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 21, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I don't know what TDS is going to do if the old guard like Mandvi and Jones leave. They're honestly head and shoulders above some of the newer people.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
I love the crowd chanting his name like Colbert's crowd would do.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Chip Hitler! From Tom Servo's werewolf movie!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Anyone know how long Comedy Central will host all those Colbert episodes? I can't imagine they are going to stay up forever.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Cosby impressions seem funnier now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

:laffo: at that Moment of Zen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look, if you can't handle a Canadian heckler, you need to get out of the game.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea this works way better with a more limited panel.

"Now we're at Vatican City instead of Rape Town"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ah dicks 4 person panel again. Oh well at least this one has 2 comics on it instead of a politician and a rando show worker to balance the serious folks.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh awesome, a Cosby apologist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh awesome, a Cosby apologist.

I'd honestly rather a dude be a dick and go against it than just 4 people agreeing with Larry like yesterday.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
This panel is a lot better than last nights, also I love that is there a tv show that has a token white person

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'd honestly rather a dude be a dick and go against it than just 4 people agreeing with Larry like yesterday.

This is true. They're right on the verge of having an interesting conversation, but Comedy Central would probably not like a serious discussion about rape culture on the show that sits between "Jon Stewart Stares Incredulously at Republicans" and "30 Minutes of Internet Comedian Dick Jokes"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This has been much funnier than last night.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like they had an assignment of "come up with 20 segments" due yesterday, and all they got was "Keep It 100".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is way more entertaining than yesterday, yea.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They need to make sure to always have a stand-up comedian on the panel, because they will always make sure Keep It 100 is interesting.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Larry was really good at handling a dude super obviously trying to be contrarian for shock laughs in a way that kept things entertaining.

I'm not 100% this will last long but as a show I think it's got some real potential.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Keep It 100 seems like it could be a fixture, but it's definitely not something that can last being used every day. Even The Word wasn't an every-day thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JT Jag posted:

Keep It 100 seems like it could be a fixture, but it's definitely not something that can last being used every day. Even The Word wasn't an every-day thing.

I've been watching all the old Colberts on-and-off and it actually was, at least for the first few months. It'll be interesting to see what new segments they try and come up with though, and what direction they try pulling the show.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I actually didn't watch much of Colbert his first year. The Word was such a constant fixture, and far from the well-honed machine of precise satire it later became. For me, Colbert's first year was a "watch an episode when people raved about it last night and/or when I had time to kill." It wasn't until I got older and the colbert had time to settle into a groove that I really fell for it. I was very much a "Daily show is above reproach, Colbert's just doing a schtick!" for a long time.

And then green screen challenge and the better know a districts started humming, threatdown, the sport report, bits on war on christmas... the whole thing gelled for me. And the daily show also hit a ROUGH period at that same point, so I kinda transferred all my adoration over.

The Cosby stuff was hit or miss - I thought the monologue had some good moments but the correspondent bit felt like one joke stretched into a weak TDS bit. And while I wish the panel gave more context for those unaware on certain things (mainly how much Cosby poo poo-talked and berated the black community for decades), it also gave way to some very strong and loose moments.

I pretty much came of age during Politically Incorrect, and am very happy to see a great panel discussion on tv again. There's surely work to be done, but I do think its acheiving its purpose even this early in the game. I watched tonight's episode with my mom (staunch centrist democrat, very white middle class) and at several points in the panel she said "I never thought of that" and started nodding her head when the woman from Ebony was speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This panel was definitely better than Monday's. And none of the commentary I've read about the Cosby rapes covered the story from the angle from people who tried growing up emulating the Huxtables.

I hope having exactly one white panelist becomes a thing for the show.

• Locked thread