Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I like how the guy who wrote that article for Time about how hosed up the American medical system is came to a conclusion that isn't a single-payer system (which is never going to happen, but it's the best way to get poo poo under control). I haven't seen the extended interview yet, but if he hasn't had a change of heart ever since that surgery, then everything he says rings hollow.

But he's absolutely right that costs haven't come down, considering that there were no measures to actually do such a thing included in the ACA/Obamacare. It put total blind faith in the free market, which is a terrible thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

I don't think we're going to see something as magical as 2012's Republican Idol competition again in our lifetimes.
Word is that Rick Perry wants another go at it. His strategy is actually "I'm wearing glasses now so I'm smarter." Nice going, Clark Kent.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The thing that really got me about Herman Cain was how he had a sense of self-awareness about how ridiculous his campaign was.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I get lathered up into a murderous rage whenever I hear Sarah Palin speak.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Nightly Show's panel segments kinda remind me of Crossballs, or that short-lived show with Colin Quinn. Neither of them lasted very long- although with Crossballs, it was a show with a premise that guaranteed that it wouldn't be around for a long time. I guess Comedy Central thinks the third time's the charm if they get a guy with Daily Show pedigree.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This show is just stupid and not funny. Crossballs did this better.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jesus Christ, I think it's better that Belichick doesn't speak much at press conferences.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Losing The Colbert Report reminds me of the importance of having a chaser after The Daily Show. The Nightly Show is not that chaser, and that just makes the wait for Colbert's September debut on CBS that much longer. Good thing The Late Show starts at 11:30 so that nobody has to watch this gimmicky crap anymore.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hey, you try doing something like this for over 15 years and remain sound of mind.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The hard part is finding someone who has a great eye for comedic talent, not just someone who can host. I haven't seen enough of Minhaj to make a judgment about him, but all of the other regular correspondents are very good- not to mention that Stephen Colbert, John Oliver Steve Carell, Rob Riggle, Rob Corddry, and Ed Helms are former correspondents. That's a lot of talent that Jon found and cultivated over the years, and that's going to be very hard to replace.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Actually, I would go for The Cenac Attack, come to think of it.
The only thing he's doing right now is hosting a weekly comedy show in Brooklyn. It ain't like he's Stephen Colbert levels of busy.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chaucer posted:

I'm watching last night's Daily Show. Why don't they get Bassem Youssef to take over?
The most fitting replacement. Get this mother fucker a visa pronto.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gung-ho on Aisha Tyler taking over. She's smart, funny, has hosted a talk show on CBS (which is also owned by Viacom), and- as much as this drum has been beaten on this corner of the internet, it still counts for something- she's not a white guy. I don't know if she has the eye for comedic talent that Jon has, but I feel she'd have great chemistry with the correspondents.

IMO she should have taken over for Craig Ferguson, but what's done is done and now we have some British guy that nobody in America knows.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

I like Aisha Tyler, but I have no idea if she has a strong political voice. She'd have been a great Ferguson replacement, but I don't know if this would be the fit.
If she does, great. If not, there's also W. Kamau Bell, who fits all of the criteria I mentioned.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

If Tyler takes over that's probably the end of Archer which is not acceptable.
Ooo yeah, that's kind of a no-go zone. W. Kamau Bell it is.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He did lend his voice in the hour-long Venture Bros. special.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Was Jon Stewart even all that political before he got on The Daily Show?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Comedy Central still shows the occasional new Jeff Dunham special, but he's nowhere near the golden child of comedy for them that he used to be. I fairly certain we won't have to worry about him taking over.

Narcissus1916 posted:

And I'll be frank - Jimmy Kimmel and Fallon and Colbert are all going to have the market on general pop culture riffs well loving travelled. And especially with the Nightly Show still very much in flux:

I need a goddamn daily satirical news show unafraid to tackle politics.
I hate to say it, but there isn't one. The Daily Show is a unique gem in that regard, and that's why Comedy Central needs to pick a host that's funny and can bring on top-notch talent. If they get someone who isn't any good, then I don't want to know what that will mean for the format.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wow, IGN proves they're terrible by putting out a '7 People Who Could Replace Jon Stewart' and they include Ricky Gervais. The other outliers are Amy Poehler, Joel McHale, and Patton Oswalt.
I'd watch the hell out of a Daily Show hosted by Amy Poehler or Joel McHale. Tina Fey's a name that's been thrown around a lot too, and I would also watch if she hosted. Patton Oswalt ain't what he used to be- he should just stick with the roles on comic book stuff. I would not watch a Daily Show hosted by Ricky Gervais or John "Jesus Was A Democrat" Fugelsang.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Daily Show With Jessica Williams ain't happening, folks.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The difference between TNS and Root of All Evil is that the latter show didn't present itself as a show where they debate serious issues while also being funny.

I think a fairer comparison is Crossballs.

quote:

In each episode, comedians posing as experts on a particular subject would debate two real commentators. The true experts were unaware that the show was a sham. Topics ranged from reality television to religion to violence in video games.
TNS is worse than a show that, while funny as hell, had a central concept that doomed it to failure.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

He isn't gonna be doing anything for the next few months anyway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Like I said, Comedy Central needs to find someone who can find talent like Jon did. Otherwise things will get bad.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It doesn't help that Larry isn't really hosting a show so much as he is moderating a panel of people, not all of whom are going to give funny answers. It's aiming to be a serious debate show as well as something that makes you laugh, and it regularly fails at doing both of those things. I'm going to keep pointing at Crossballs as a better example of a funny debate show, because even though the concept meant that it was going to live on borrowed time, it was consistently funny. I'm also doing this because nobody remembers Crossballs.

I stopped watching The Nightly Show after its second week on the air, but apparently it's still fresh enough to have Bill de Blasio come on as one of the panelists. I don't know how Larry does it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Isn't Slava Fetisov now a member of Putin's regime or something? I remember when he played for the Red Wings with Igor Larianov.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

At least Comedy Central has Broad City.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As bad as Democrats can be, what Republicans did was actually honest-to-God treason. There is no two sides to this, Republicans are traitors.

http://reverbpress.com/politics/47-republicans-treason-logan-act/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

shitlord
This word should be banned. :v:

I've never heard of Nick DiPaolo, but he sounds like what Patton Oswalt is on the path to becoming in five to ten years. Larry's really setting his show up for failure by inviting people like him and Adam Carolla as panelists. And again, the main problem with the show is that it's not funny. It certainly isn't a chaser for The Daily Show like Colbert was.

Speaking of which, I'm getting a little tired of The Daily Show. Jon's jokes seem very forced when he's in the middle of being angry at racist frat bros or disrespectful (but probably not treasonous) Republican senators (by the way, the "both sides do it" argument doesn't fly when it's 46 members of one party's senators against a couple of another party's elected representatives over the years). John Oliver is better mostly because he can get passionate about an issue but also not sound forced when he drops a pop culture reference in the middle of it. There aren't nearly as many correspondent segments either, and that's when The Daily Show is at its best. Perhaps I'm subconsciously transitioning to a world where I don't watch Comedy Central's 11:00pm time slot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Conan probably also doesn't pretend he's smarter than he actually is.
He doesn't have to pretend he's smart either- he's got smarts to spare.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If your first reaction to pop culture news is "I WANT TO GET ANGRY ABOUT IT," dredge up evidence, and go on Twitter or Tumblr to spread outrage, you need to get a goddamn life. "There's a whole black hole of the internet that spends all day up its own rear end, endlessly worried about approving of pop culture rather than actually loving enjoying it." -Drew Magary (that link is pro-click as hell and you should read it if you hate this phenomenon as much as I do)

I'm fine with the selection of Trevor Noah for reasons that aren't "he pisses off a bunch of whiny twats on the internet." Not many people know about him, but to an extent, that was also the case with Jon Stewart when he was picked. Plus, Noah is very smart (he speaks six languages!) and he also hosted a show in South Africa. I can't speak to how funny he is since I've never seen any of his segments, but I'm sure he'll find his groove.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 31, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

Doesn't Deadspin also drum out internet outrage on things also?
All Gawker sites do, it's kind of their calling card. But a broken clock etc. (plus it's Drew Magary, who owns so much that I have no idea why he still writes there)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

And as a hater of things, I have no idea why a fresh young South African comedian without much baggage would have Buzzfeed and Twitter's crosshairs.
Just read that Drew Magary quote over and over again until the end of time, it explains so much about the internet today. And funny you should mention Buzzfeed- one of their writers said the worst thing about Trevor Noah's Twitter account is how much he responds to @UberFacts.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Let's just admit that Trevor Noah isn't good at Twitter, OK? There's nothing wrong with that. When it comes to metrics about whether you'll be a good TV show host, being good at stand-up is more relevant than being good at a platform where you can use a maximum of 140 characters at a time.

achillesforever6 posted:

Did anyone read Patton Oswalts 53 Tweet rant on it?
http://www.fastcompany.com/3044542/the-recommender/how-patton-oswalt-won-the-trevor-noah-twitter-debate
Granted he didn't write full 53 tweets about it, some of them were just one word.
I’m not taking a side between the Grampa Simpson of comedy and a bunch of people on social media who would rather get angry at pop culture than enjoy it.

Somebody earlier in the thread asked why I don’t like Patton Oswalt, which doesn’t surprise me because he’s a goon idol. I have three reasons.
  • He does stuff like this all the time now. These days, you're more likely to hear Patton Oswalt going off about comedy than actually performing comedy. Interestingly, he and Chris Rock have very similar views on what you can and can’t say to get a laugh. The difference is when Chris talks about it- like he did numerous times on the interview circuit for Top Five- he speaks very eloquently. I might not agree with him 100%, but I like the way he puts it. But when Patton talks about it, he comes off as bitter and standoffish. It certainly doesn’t help when you dedicate more than 50 tweets to that one topic like he did defending Trevor Noah, a smart man who doesn’t need a comedy white knight to defend himself.
  • A lot of people still like Patton because he’s a nerdy guy who’s making it big. To me, that’s only half of what made him great in his glory days. The other half- and the half that I think is more important- is that back then, he was a comic underdog, and he had (and still has) the looks to match. He didn’t look or act the part of someone who was striving to become a giant of comedy. Now that he’s on half of ABC’s programming, he’s no longer the lovable little guy because you see and hear him everywhere. Louis C.K. may be inescapable, but somehow he hasn’t lost the aura of the everyman comedian (the fact that he roasts the mayor of NYC and flies to comedy shows on private jets notwithstanding).
  • His stand-up just isn’t that funny anymore. A lot of people, both in show business and outside of it, constantly give him a free pass because he used to be funny, but that hasn’t been the case in at least 5 years- or, depending on who you ask, longer than that.
The good thing about all of this is that the shitstorm will subside in a maximum of two weeks because what I like to call the Outrage Internet has the attention span of a caffeinated chihuahua. Some other bit of pop culture news will happen and they'll be yapping away about how it's problematic and why we should be as angry about it as they are, and they'll forget that this whole thing ever happened.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 1, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Patton's still a smart guy. He should be smart enough to shut his trap once in a while.

I can totally imagine Hannibal Buress saying something along the lines of "Hey old man, quit yer whining" to Patton. It wouldn't be the first time he's gone after a respected comedian....

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I've hardly seen Irish Joe post but even I know his opinions aren't worth the bandwidth his posts occupy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I can't wait for the show to start again. Eventually everyone is going to forget this whole thing ever happened.

Majorian posted:

Given Salon's bizarre grudge against him, can you blame him for this?
Sorry but i don't give a poo poo about clickbait websites that start outrage over stupid topics

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jon Stewart does the exact same thing, though?
No, Jon's style is "make funny faces or laugh at something for 30 seconds before making a joke"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Maybe it was because I was surrounded by naysayers who wanted to dismiss him because of those four-year-old tweets or because they forgot that it took Jon Stewart a while to establish this as his show, but I was sort of worried. I'll watch and judge for myself, but I'm glad that the reception is positive here.

Youth Decay posted:

They aren't blurring out the middle finger anymore, either. Interesting.
They'll blur it out at some other point. The Daily Show can be wildly inconsistent in what they blur or bleep out.

Astro Nut posted:

What I've gradually gathered from interactions online is that a lot of people in the States don't particularly like 'punching down' humour
That's complete bullshit (why do you think Family Guy is still popular?), but I can see why you'd think that from talking to people online. Don't let the most easily offended of us color your perception of what we like in our comedy. Comedy should be funny first and foremost, I don't give a poo poo where it punches. I do think that you have to do more work with "punching down", but almost anything can be funny if you put your mind to it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Literally confused as to how anyone thought The Daily Show couldn't be done without Jon Stewart. Aside from John Oliver and the other guest hosts, pretty sure some random writer from the show did Jon's job from the writer's strike picket once for a video. It's just making fun of newsclips and reading jokes, jesus.
John Oliver did a great job as guest host.

I'm surprised that Trevor Noah's accent didn't make me cringe. South African accents sound awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I grew up in New Jersey. I'm paying attention to Christie in NYC and I hate what he's done. One good example: as soon as he became governor, he refused to entertain funding new tunnels for NJ Transit trains to Penn Station. They're revisiting the issue six years later, but he could have done something about it before, and he didn't because he's a spiteful rear end in a top hat.

I hope he gets humiliated.

• Locked thread