Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pillow Hat posted:

Are you referring to Jon's appearance? I can't tell if you're sarcastically (or non-sarcastically) implying that Jon is the only thing that makes it work for you.
I think the first month was pretty light-handed with a lot of jokes, it felt very much like they were going for wacky and zany and easy jokes until they got up to full speed. THe tone of the humor has begun to shift noticeably, at least to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I was not expecting that to derail into a desperately horny asian guy joke, but I like that guy even if the crab eating thing was kinda dumb.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
When he started bitching about labor intensive I was fully expecting a looney toons size mallet, that was probably a bit of a letdown. Also he didn't actually seem to know how to eat crab or at least where he was gonna go with it after the prop so oh just stuff some in your mouth. The rest of it was pretty great, I think he just needs to figure out how/where to apply that spastic routine. The main problem is that sad dorky asian guy is such a clichee.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

I feel like The Nightly Show has hit a new low when they bring on a guy from Worldstar Fight Videos for the panel as though he's worth listening to.
I have been kinda meaning to start getting into Larry WIlmore because I remember him being pretty funny, but the last time I heard "Worldstar" mentioned anywhere outside of my teenage nephews' facebook video posts, was some hick on a podcast using worldstar hiphop as an example of why we need armed police in schools. The worldstar guy acted like a total dirtbag during the interview, it was like watching a softball interview with donald trump where nobody bothers to call him out at the time that he ctually says something really gross - oh wait

Pretty sure Ariana Huffington has never bragged about how many different continents send her beheading videos that she turns down - while she's got a big poo poo-eating grin on her face.

The family packing guns on the xmas cards was a cute outside, but honestly it would've been a better punchline with "every person in that picture is holding at least $500, why not just friend this idiot on facebook and rob her home when she takes her family on their WELL ADVERTISED ANNUAL FAMILY UPPER/MIDDLE-CLASS HOLIDAAYYY!!!!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Astro Nut posted:

So that segment on getting a hidden carry license was interesting.

On the one hand the NRA guy seemed keen to stress that were general responsibilities that should be kept in mind when handling a firearm...

But good god is it really just that easy to get a license? Did Klepper even have to pay for that, because I've spent a minimum of £85 (more due to retakes) trying to get my driving license - and any lethal incidents with the article involved would be hopefully be unintentional (and non-existent).
In my state you have to pass a test, you can even go online and spend like $39.99 to get a study guide and then take the test online for free (open book, assumedly). Once you complete one of the online tests most of the sites claim that you'll have your license sent out within 24 hours of passing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I think it's a symptom of inherent privilege where one can begin to buy in to power fantasies that other groups with less privilege would generally never assume they could get away with. The privileged group feels that - if they were armed and equipped and present at the time - that they would have done something different/better than what truly occurred.

You see it displayed with "well that guy/girl/kid should've just done what the officer ordered" comments from people who've never had a cop shout conflicting orders at them while they're scared and pumped full of adrenaline. You see it from people in high office who drop bombs about how blacks ought to go to "easier" colleges (and thus insinuating that the non-blacks who go to the moire prestigious schools are inherently superior, smarter, etc). The GGWAG thing is just another form of that, where the individual believes that they would have the awareness, reflexes, and luck to save the day and invite everybody over to their handjob condo for drinks - they just don't really understand that the main reason they hold that belief, is because it's never been tested.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

swickles posted:

Michael Straham and Noah seemed to get along really well and now I want to watch a buddy cop movie starring them.
Michael Strahan was such an easygoing and charismatic guy that during that segment I seriously considered checking out his show. Then I remembered it was just a morning show.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MariusLecter posted:

Watching Klepper's segment again.

Yeah.
The first thought in my mind during his dick-towel scenario was some aside I heard from the big paris hostage situation recently, where they talked about how they had hostages in a hallway and they couldn't move toward them or something because they couldn't tell if there was a shooter hiding amon or behind them. Then I thought of how effective it would be to let someone run down a hallway toward the authorities, and then lean out behind them and just sweep the hallway clear while focus was away. It really chilled me to any thoughts of "well ya know what I would do," :clint:

Madkal posted:

The guy giving the workshop tried to explain it to us as much as possible, probably seeing how freaked out we were about it, that what he was describing was the best way to survive the situation. He said that he knows it sounds hosed up to lock the door and and not let anyone in, but if you are looking to survive that is the best way to do it. He admitted that it was pretty much every man for himself.
Yeah this is super hosed, but also on the money because in an active shooter situation, unless you literally have laid eyes on the attacker, it could be your roommate or classmate or coworker WITH the gun, calling through the door to be let in.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Best of the Left? That guy Wade is a trip but I like how the host always plays his calls, it's a nice little balance after an hour and fifteen minutes of The Young Turks pretending to be angry. But anyway the next week the first call in comment was about how WSH is just a dogwhistle that gets used to conveniently validate every "not racist just realist" reddit rear end in a top hat's opinion.
Word. I like the podcast although the call-in gets skippable on and off. It's interesting that he's got this one trucker who's really interested in learning about other perspectives while still quickly and easily falling back on stuff like dogwhistles and fallacious arguments and false equivalencies, and then seeing when/if he takes it to heart or gets upset. It's also a good way to find other podcasts, although lee camp and tyt get pretty insufferable after a short while.

But it also feels like the poor podcaster only has like 3 callers and he's just desperate for more content :laugh:

But worldstar is a huge dogwhistle imho, because I've literally never been to the site but I "know" that it features pictures of black toddlers being sent into fights against each other while their parents egg them on, also probably bumfights and people lighting themselves on fire or some poo poo but the only thing I can remember is they had baby fights.

Does anyone remember the Faces of Death series of videos? That was the Worldstar equivalent for when I was like pre-teen and teen.. Was it racist or anything? I never watched one so I don't even know what the bodies looked like but now I'm curious if it happend to be like "look at all these terrible black dead people who died for bad reasons", or if it was just equal opportunity foul.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 15, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Hmm, Monday's show seemed to be super caffeinated or something. The segment with all four correspondents hollering over each other followed by holy poo poo is this guy animated and rapid-firing back and forth with trevor during the interview. I'm not quite sure what happened but i don't remember anything about the show except war on christmas and get people drunk on your late night show.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

This is Hell (long, interesting interviews [though annoyingly many are by phone]),
The Axe Files (David Axelrod doing p good interviews w some heavy-hitters),
Backstory (3 academic guys who focus on different eras discuss past events that lead to present political situations),
Decode DC (similar to gabfest),
On the Media always ends up discussing political journalism.

There's more but those are a p good start, though like all podcasts they can sometimes seem a little unpolished (except the NPR ones).
I really like Backstory a lot, I'd say it's more of a historical than political podcast though.

Radio Dispatch is a pretty alright regular show, which features a lot of interesting interviews and discussions on recent/current events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pillow Hat posted:

100% agreed. In fact, even reading your comment, it still took me a minute to remember what the second segment was.
It was weird, it really was so cacophonous that I sat back and was like "poo poo, was there even a moment of zen? what the gently caress happened? I ought to check out Trevor's teeth"

• Locked thread