Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's almost like people complaining are people who love to complain and also hope that no comedian gets the Daily Show gig. Jokes are problematic after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Irish Joe posted:

I'm wondering what you guys consider mainstream America, because I still hear people quoting Chappelle Show skits and Chris Rock's "friend of the family" bit regularly.

Yes but you see twitter wasn't around then so people couldn't get stupidly offended.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

St. Dogbert posted:

In the initial Salon article about Noah, there's a comment stating that Noah may have acted differently if he'd ever experienced bigotry. I think that guy ought to experience a history class.

Baha ha ha ha ha the internet will eat itself.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have always wondered if international comedians get this much scrutiny. Before he was announced as Stewart's replacement no-one gave a gently caress about Noah's 5 year old tweets, even when he was announced as a correspondent. Is there some group in England who gets angry every time an English comedian tells a fat joke? Or a sexist joke told by a Brazilian comedian? What about a racist joke by a Norwegian?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Considering that the mayor decided to publicly read out the tweets I think he got what was coming to him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone else taste the pure disdain in Noah's words when talking about political inaction when it comes to doing something about the mass shootings.

edit: Samantha Bee has done some awesome stuff with the Cruz videos.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 4, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The first segment last night felt very much like Noah's standup, which is a good thing. The whole thing about not allowing Muslims into the states would effect him was hilarious. He is also excellent at accents.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

In an active shooter situation you should run, hide, and fight back. In that order. Run if you can, hide if you can't, and if you can't do either go for the Hail Mary and attack with whatever you've got. When you consider you're dealing with a hosed up individual who may or may not be using some sort of explosives and is likely sporting heavier weaponry than you, it makes sense not to try and Modern Warfare up your office. Especially since if you're shooting, cubicles and office walls provide very little stopping power from stray bullets for your terrified coworkers desperately hiding under their desk.

I mean, I guess if you're an off duty SWAT guy who just happens to be stopping by to drop off lunch to your partner while on break from teaching an active shooter strategies class, go hog wild and see if you can't teabag the rear end in a top hat after you get him with a knife attack.

I work in a college and this year we were given a brief seminar/workshop on what to do if there was an active shooter situation and it all seemed pretty bleak. Pretty much what the guy told us was that if we were outdoors when it is announced that there is an active shooter situation we must run away from the college as soon as possible and under no circumstances enter any building. If we are indoors during such a situation we must find a room and lock/barricade it as soon as possible. The room must remained locked and barricaded until emergency crews arrive and deliver an all clear. All this sounds logical and rational and such, but the downer part of it was that once you are in the room you must not open it up for anyone, even co-workers. It goes under the assumption that the shooter might pose as someone trying to hide to gain entry to a locked room. Again, all very practical but the idea that people are outside running for the lives trying to get into locked rooms where there might be just one person holed up in seems terrifying to me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The guy giving the workshop tried to explain it to us as much as possible, probably seeing how freaked out we were about it, that what he was describing was the best way to survive the situation. He said that he knows it sounds hosed up to lock the door and and not let anyone in, but if you are looking to survive that is the best way to do it. He admitted that it was pretty much every man for himself.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gyges posted:

It's the same idea as silencing your phone, turning out the lights, and locking the door. The whole point is to look as much as possible as if no one is in there so their rear end in a top hat desire to kill more people keeps them trucking once they meet the minimal resistance of a closed door. Letting people in makes the hiding place more noticeable as there's no way for you to know they aren't literally running from the shooter who is now watching the targets in the field of view increase, or that the sound of the door opening and closing hasn't now caught their attention.

Active shooter drills are really hosed up poo poo. The hardest for me is just leaving people as you evacuate. It's way easier for me to rationalize turtleing up in a hidey hole than not making sure everyone along my exit route is also getting the gently caress out of there.

Yea, turning off lights and cell phones were mentioned too. Also not standing anywhere near a window or door, not making any phone calls until the all clear (good luck with that one at a college though). The worst feeling when we did the workshop was (for at least myself) wondering if a situation like that ever happened and if I would have to be the one leaving my co-workers locked outside or vice versa.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well saying you would want a registry for one minority and not another makes you a hypocrite so at least that go was being honest about his bigotry, and we appreciate that. Maybe he should run for president.

The whole who said it: Trump or a racist sandwich was hilarious. Klepper is becoming my fave correspondent just for the sheer amount of balls on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jordan is the one acing all the segments for me. His bad boys stint last night was great.

Also has anyone else noticed that the jokes have gotten a bit....I don't want to say edgier....but there is definitely an edge to them that I don't remember from Stewart's era.

• Locked thread