Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
On the other hand, the offhanded Tupac question was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The "Mitch McConnell is a turtle" jokes are getting really loving old already.

The turtle jokes this time were great.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Did not expect to see Bassem tonight. And on the right side of the desk, of all things.

That's the funny side.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
If Bassem took the job, it would blow my mind.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wilmore's response to the twitter question was pretty weak tea. He dodged the substance of it.

My mom told me flat out she'd help me hide the body. Guess I know who loves their kids more. :smug:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

haveblue posted:

I thought the C word was cancellation :stare:

I was thinking it meant the other c-word and was deeply confused how it would apply.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
What the hell was that guy from Shark Tank wearing?

Did he go straight from the skate park to the Nightly Show?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow. After the "PC" episode, I think I'm done with the Nightly Show. Sorry, Larry, I gave it my best shot, but that was loathesome.

Also, I don't think he understood why "Gyp" was on the list of offensive words.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kayakyakr posted:

Not just basically, Oliver's an American citizen.

And married to a veteran. That is pretty drat American.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rhonne posted:

Good job...Florida?

I am so, so glad that my state (New Jersey) wasn't on that list. But seriously, what the gently caress, New York and New England states?!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Another obnoxious laugher in the crowd tonight.

Usually it doesn't bother me and I only notice after the fact, but this one was bad.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rick Perry: Now With Glasses

"I'm kinda like Clark Kent, only when I take 'em off, my superpower is to make my state shittier!"

What I love about this "change" is that you never see him without his glasses anymore, and they're always horn-rimmed--i.e. the most visible, "smart" glasses there are.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I do hope that they continue the rivalry. Sure, they buried the hatchet, but he can always write that off as Stephen Colbert the pundit settling things with Fallon. Stephen Colbert the late night talk show host still thinks that he is human garbage that must be destroyed!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raditts posted:

Does anyone even watch talk shows for the interviews anymore? Unless it's someone really interesting or if it was a Craig Ferguson interview, I almost always skip them or switch the show off early. It's especially painful with that blubbering idiot that took over for Ferguson who tries to ape Graham Norton.

God, Ferguson was a fantastic interviewer. He would get these people who you might consider C-Grade celebrities and reality stars and you would look forward to them becoming regulars because they just hit it off.

EDIT: Ariel Tweto is still adorable.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raditts posted:

Supercop doing that loving combat roll to bust some pool-going black teens never stops being hilarious. I've watched it like 100 times.

It reminds me of Hot Fuzz, in that he thinks he's in an action movie.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Holy poo poo that Moment of Zen

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think Scalia was broken by this one.

God, if you thought Scalia was broken by Obamacare...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hakkesshu posted:

The world has changed a lot.

Jokes about Evil Knievel and the Clinton impeachment trial, jesus the 90s.

Edit: Jessica Williams would've been like 10 years old at this point.

The July 13, 1999 episode just came up as of this post. She turns ten in little over two weeks :cheeky:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This Miss Piggy interview is too good to be a promotion for Muppets From Space.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

kayakyakr posted:

Michael Che

Did one segment, then showed up for a "retrospective"

The "retrospective" was pretty funny though.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I have a feeling that this episode is going to get uncomfortable. It's an episode from 1999 with Mo Rocca interviewing a transwoman. I'm sure it will be perfectly sensitive.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We were just discussing how that piece probably wouldn't air today, though it didn't have much to it.

Yeah, the actual piece was so...insubstantial.

EDIT: Ooh, a Y2K Segment--Now this is some high-grade nostalgia.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 28, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh hey, a piece on the Roomba with some haunting foreshadowing to modern Drone Warfare.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
In case you want to ballpark when your favorite episodes/eras are, here's some help.

With the web commercials in, every episode is 24 minutes.

The Daily Show is on 42 weeks a year, four days a week, working out to about 168 episodes

That means each year will take 67.2 hours or 2 days and 19.2 hours. So if you want to watch Indecision 2000 in the Month of Zen, that's a little under three days from now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
While I don't like Mo Rocca, I have to admit, seeing him slowly press a mic into the face of a man that may or may not have been John Bolton, distorting the bastard's face without him paying any attention to Rocca, was pretty drat funny. Especially because it only stopped when someone batted him away with another mic. It's like Maybe-Bolton didn't even feel it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Elian Gonzalez sighted.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I checked and the Poultry Museum finally opened in 2013--and that ancient dude was still alive to see opening day!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I like to believe his legacy of slimy dickishness will make it into the history books. Maybe after our civilizations crumble and human culture lies buried, another species will unearth his tomb, the Mausoleum of the Motherfucker.

What did he ever really affect on the national scale? He never even had much influence, or any real followers. Maybe he will get a mention as a the most prominent face of the Birther movement, when we look back on the uglier parts of the Obama presidency. Ultimately, for all his bluster, he will be at most a footnote, an also-ran in the primaries and an opportunistic hatemonger.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I was like 9 at this time what the gently caress was up with Elian again?

He turned up on a raft, his family in Florida wanted to keep him (grandparents, I think), but his father in Cuba wanted him back. It became a political thing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
That was one hell of an Even Stephen segment. Someday, I must watch them all.

EDIT: Ben Stein before he went nutso is great.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 30, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EccoRaven posted:

Someone do some math and figure out when 9/10 happens, I would love to watch it and then watch the subsequent ones.

Should be on Friday. I did math before so I can ballpark it, but given breaks and such, it's best to just narrow it down to the day.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MikeJF posted:

Oh man, I wonder if he's seen this.

HERE'S YOU: AGEING.

It gets weird when he turns into that puffin-man.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The jokes about the Republican Convention 2000 Special Edition Barbie are deeply depressing.

Edit: The movie reviews are the least pleasant part of these old episodes, next to the occasional chingchongdingdong bits of racism.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This bit on political rhetoric is quaint compared to modern rhetoric.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, you might want to tune in: It's the Republican Convention Coverage episode.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Holy poo poo, Republicans trying to make it look like they care about public education.

This was truly a different era.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a who's who of future war criminals.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh god, what a prophetic graphic. I wish I'd screencapped it.

Bush/Cheney '00
"Haunted by Visions of What Will Be"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

jerichojx posted:

Bob Dole is a really really cool dude.

This just makes it all the more depressing how badly his party has hosed him over.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

jojoinnit posted:

Wow, Ann Coulter on as an actual opinion. This really was a long long time ago.

These roundtables are great.

Charles Doty died in 2003. The Daily Show put on a tribute to him when he passed. Godspeed, you delightful codger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I noticed a bit of interbellum talk that's kind of nostalgic now. During the fake Gore promotional video, they remarked that we have no enemies anymore :smith:

• Locked thread