Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm already sick of the 2016 election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Maybe it's because this thread didn't take off yet; or maybe it's because of less interest without the Report, but I was totally expecting people to complain about "South Park/truth in the middle" here in response to the guest.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I too didn't find it "truth middle-y"; but I'm way used to TVIV and D&D-types jumping onto any chance of calling something South Park, especially with Jon Stewart even though he has a well defined viewpoint.

The study was about tribalism and human nature, not about finding the "true" middle ground of a specific polarizing issue.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The correspondents for The Nightly Show, Shenaz Treasury, Ricky Velez, and Mike Yard.

I can imagine this show being a bit more like Totally Biased than TDS or the Report.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Totally Biased made me aware of Hari Kondabolu, so that alone justified its existence.

Yeah Hari can sometimes get annoying with his moral high horse, but he's usually funny while doing it so I'm cool with him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just watched The Nightly Show on Hulu. So it's there.

I'll see how the show goes. I could do with or without the panel format. I'd like to see a panel of comedians address Cosby and actually talk about whatever unofficial rules exist for going after other comedians.

I know it's far from the biggest race issue out there, but I want to see Larry Wilmore go after the Oscars and Hollywood more for their poo poo too.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So how long until the Larry Wilmore backlash begins?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This panel was definitely better than Monday's. And none of the commentary I've read about the Cosby rapes covered the story from the angle from people who tried growing up emulating the Huxtables.

I hope having exactly one white panelist becomes a thing for the show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Between John Oliver having what's pretty much now HBO's flagship comedy and current events show; and Larry Wilmore finding his groove with a monologue and panel; TDS alumni have given people even less excuses to keep watching Bill Maher.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 22, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Krinkle posted:

I really hate his map. It's okay to have south on top but why do you frame it so like 90% of what I'm looking at is water. Use a different projection, goddamn.
The Peters projection sucks FYI.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Krinkle posted:

I don't know from projections but I thought there were several kinds and maybe they could use one that doesn't look like poo poo or at least rotate the map to focus on africa or south america or something.
I was just hoping you weren't one of those people who thought that one scene from that West Wing episode was the most clever thing ever.

I'm not going to even link to a clip of it because it sucks so much. It's the Big Block of Cheese episode with the scene where Phlox from Star Trek Enterprise tells CJ that the Gall Peters projection is the best map to correct 1st World imperial propaganda. (It's really not the case.) Once every so while I have a Facebook friend linking to a YouTube clip of it as if it's the most mind-blowing thing ever. In general, take any lessons about 3rd World Struggles from Aaron Sorkin with a grain of salt.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I felt like the conversation was inadequate. The Hurt Locker was well received by most people who had an opinion on it. There's a reason why war movies like Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper were controversial. So it shouldn't be about war movies in general. In this case, it's because the man chosen to to represent the Complicated Soldier was quite morally dubious. He bragged about shooting Hurricane Katrina looters; though that story was probably made up. His estate also had that lawsuit with Jesse Ventura (who I'm no big fan of) were it does look like Ventura looks like he has a strong case that Chris Kyle slandered him.

A vaccine episode? Okay, I don't want an actual debate. I want Wilmore and the four panelists to circlejerk over how stupid anti-vaxxers are.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's unfortunate you have a show with Bill Maher's format, but without an anti-vaxxer host; but then drop the ball by giving an anti-vaxxer a platform on the vaccine episode.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I understand why they don't want to do it, but I wouldn't mind if they just keep panels running as long as they can and just "throw it on the web" TDS-style. If you're going to have an anti-vaxxer (once again... why?), might as well have her keep arguing until all the tiring anti-vax talking points get worn down.

Were the media's two favorite science communicators unavailable? This is more important than deflategate.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Hari Kondabolu should be a recurring panelist. He didn't have too much to say about Koch but he'll definitely have nice sound bites if it's about race, immigration, free speech, etc.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't know; I kind of got the impression the specific liberals being mocked in the bit were ones who built their identity around culture war posturing. They feel like the kind of liberals who seriously refer to Fox News as Faux News and still have a huge fixation on Sarah Palin.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't mind having the "token reprehensible position panelist" last night because everyone else was dog piling on him for being wrong.

I bashed Bill Maher a lot in this thread; and the problem with his show isn't the format; it's Bill Maher himself. He's pretty much the kind of liberal that's unambiguously okay to dislike. He's an anti-vaxxer who made Bill Frist the voice of reason. He's a reddit atheist who's fixated on Muslims. He defended SOPA because Hollywood. He often takes the "Political Correctness Gone Mad" position whenever someone says something stupid. (Expected because of his history, but it's still loving annoying.) And his Sorkin-esque misogyny permeates his comedy and his political rants.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jon must never stop the turtle jokes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gabrielle Union is a national treasure.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I understand what Stewart was going for when he took the angle of how the media dropped the ball when it came to the entire Iraq War, but I wished he still went harder on Brian Williams himself. Showbiz Williams relished his appearances not just on Lettermen, but on TDS too. (Giant head, anyone?) Stewart did make a few jokes at Brian's expense, but the whole bit could still be interpreted by some as a defense of him.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I won't defend people being hypocrites about it, but I feel the Williams backlash.

Stories like him changing details about saving kittens or getting mugged my sound silly to scrutinize, but don't be surprised if we've only seen the tip of the iceberg. I have a hard time thinking of journalism scandals regarding specific individuals only willfully fudging the details once and never again.

I also just have a suspicion of people who have built the "non-partisan, inoffensive, credible-for-anyone" personal brand in the journalism profession. And as people pointed out, Williams did enjoy his celebrity status. How many non-news cameos has he made in TV shows? I always imagined Williams being one of those beltway types who didn't want to get too adversarial with power; he'd much rather play along so can he get the Obama or Cheney interview he's fishing for rather than serve the public interest. He was still one of many people who failed to raise questions about the Iraq War and all (even if he wasn't the network anchor then).

Generic American posted:

The truly funny part? CNN shows were laughing about it this morning. Or, more specifically, only discussing a very brief clip of it where Jon Stewart mockingly yells at Brian Williams about how many puppies he saved. Selective hearing is one hell of a thing.
gently caress CNN.

(And they still employ serial plagiarizer Fareed Zakaria.)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
poo poo.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I've been a regular viewer since 2001. That was when we got cable TV because 9/11 temporarily destroyed the television broadcast tower in NYC. I spent my high school, college, and my most of my 20something years watching Stewart. I experienced the Iraq War, Afghan War, three presidential elections, and two presidencies with the guy. Steve Carell, Stephen Colbert, John Oliver, and Larry Wilmore would probably be just some comedians I never cared for without Stewart.

So fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Let me be the first in this thread to say "The Daily Show with Jessica Williams" sounds awesome though.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I want Jessica Williams' career to take off.

I want her to become so popular that "White people love Jessica Williams" becomes a punchline.

Her talent justifies the "gosh I feel old" feeling.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
New York Trends

#JonStewart
The Daily Show
#ReplaceAMovieTitleWithGoat
#AdviceForYoungJournalists
First Colbert
#NeverBeAloneIn6Days
#PutSpiderManInEveryMovie
Comedy Central
Balotelli

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Winkie01 posted:

Anyone else think Amy Poehler would be a good host?
No.

Mo0 posted:

Better yet, Tina Fey. Get an actual satirist to host it.
No.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I hope the next TDS host isn't an SNL alum.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

skaboomizzy posted:

I don't know if she's ready to host, but I hope Jessica Williams gets "senior writer" or something. Everything she does on The Daily Show is fantastic.
If Lena Dunham can have her own "prestige dramedy" on HBO, Jessica Williams can run The Daily Show.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My favorite time for TDS was probably 2009-2010. I felt like Stewart's comedy was the most poignant once Bush and Cheney were out of the way and before the batshit insanity of the Tea Party went full overdrive. The best CNN bashing was from this time.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Another great time was how well Stewart (and Colbert too) handled the Writers' Strike.

As important as writers are, those months showcased Jon's amazing strengths even when his show isn't running 100%.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
When blogging sites put out listicles like "Five Women Who Could Replace Stewart as The Daily Show's Host" my thought is "Why does this list exist when Jessica Williams already does?"

I might be blindsided by how much I'm a fan of her, but I think the advantage with Williams over an more established and older personality like those SNL alum is that Williams does signal, "We can stay relevant, if not, ahead of the curve". When I see someone like Amy Poehler or Tina Fey (or God forbid, Sarah Silverman) being pitched, I imagine the person pushing that idea is someone who's okay with the traditional culture war fault lines we've been spoon-fed since at least 2004. Maybe I'm just projecting a lot on Jessica, but I want someone much younger and less white. It's almost needed for TDS to stay fresh and relevant in the next decade. Jessica's that... and more importantly, she's funny too. And there's not much baggage with her.

Bassem Youseff is a left-field choice that could also work, even though he's not young. The middle east will continue to remain in the headlines; and I don't get the impression he's tone deaf with American comedic sensibilities. (Heck, John Oliver learned quickly how an American audience works.)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 12, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He's 40.

Stewart was 37 when he started on TDS.
I thought he was older because he and Jon seemed like total bros.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, this episode of Nightly was probably the second most frustrating episode yet. I'll keep giving the show a shot to find its legs. (Maybe it's TDS goodwill.)

When it's just one guest who's a hack, there's a chance Stewart or Colbert would interrogate their position. When someone's wrong on a comedy-themed panel, people just keep defusing any potential argument with a joke.

It's not too late to retool the show. Think about it, Larry. Try to get one of America's two favorite science communicators on more often for science-based issues. Or rethink the panel entirely.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jessica Williams is the host of The Daily Show in Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

:allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

GreenNight posted:

Daily Show exec producer was talking during the writers guild awards and mentioned she'd like to see Rachel Maddow as host.
:suicide:

Since we're talking about Maddow...

"Really? Really? Really? Really?"

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So it looks like Jessica voluntarily removed herself from the list of possible TDS hosts. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
We've known that for a day or two. It still sucks. Of all the current cast, she's the one who can best play both straight man and comic foil.

I am concerned what Jessica would do when TDS changes regimes. I doubt she'll want to stick around too long under the next host and wait for the the next host to retire. Her career's just too promising.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The black fatherhood panel was the best panel because they had a lot of time to talk and the discussion wasn't framed as a two-sided controversy.

Maybe panels should just be a once-a-week thing on shows without a comedy segment in the first act. And the rest of the week can have a structure more similar to TDS/TCR format (with no panel) that we're used to.

But I'm not sure if the people running the show even know there's a problem. Stewart retiring pretty much took all the attention of bloggers away from potential "The Problem with 'The Nightly Show'" think pieces. They may act otherwise, but they're most certainly looking at blogs for critiques and reactions. ("Did I die?")

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Did I mention already that Jessica Williams is amazing?

Edit (for relevance):

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Rally to Restore Sanity was all the way back in 2010. It was fairly obvious his message was largely in response to the rise of the Tea Party and Glenn Beck, and the media's tendency to amplify the stupidest things people were saying at the time. But people took the lack of any strong tribalism in his rhetoric as him silencing progressives.

• Locked thread