Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
re: that Daily Show dating bipartisanship bit, I kinda hate it when they pull that limp wristed South Park middle ground poo poo. It's like, "Oh you think gay people are subhuman, support Christian sharia law, and don't believe climate change science. BUT hey, we both like Breaking Bad! Different strokes for different folks!!" I don't care if you're a goddamn treehugger, just maybe don't be a completely morally bankrupt fuckup?
Let's all be more like Tip O'Neil and Ronald Reagan people!!111 :thumbsup: But hey, I guess Carville makes it work!

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't know; I kind of got the impression the specific liberals being mocked in the bit were ones who built their identity around culture war posturing. They feel like the kind of liberals who seriously refer to Fox News as Faux News and still have a huge fixation on Sarah Palin.
I mean, yeah, I got the same feeling too but that still doesn't mean they deserve to be dating those dudes. :v:
I mean they may be lame caricatures but at least they're not voting Santorum.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
YOU CAN'T BOTH LEAVE US WITHIN SUCH A CLOSE SPAN. THERE'S NO ONE LEFT. WE CAN'T SURVIVE WITH JUST LARRY WHITMORE, I DON'T EVEN GIVE NEW EPISODES OF THAT SHOW A CHANCE ANYMORE!
Who's left?! There's no one left!
:derp:

Who's going to lead the biting progressive-oriented sociopolitical commentary and cultural leadership now? You better believe it's not Larry Whitmore. It was bad enough losing Colbert (at least it's easier to replace Stewart than Colbert) . I thought for sure Jon Stewart would just continue being a pillar of American media and culture for like, another decade, even aging it'd just lend him more gravitas and "Oh man I'm so old now" jokes.

drat, I really think there need to be witty dominant voices disassembling Fox News talking points and right wing ideology on a daily basis, and no Bill Maher isn't as awesome or near potent enough and let's not even get into MSNBC. It's about Comedy Central.
Shiiiit, at least Stewart and the Daily Show are easier to replace by just getting a talented new Daily Show host either in-house or someone talented enough for Stewart to approve of (does anyone know if him leaving as host means he won't still be involved with the writing and production of the show in at least someway? Surely he'll have a hand in helping choose his successor? No?). Compared to the tricky matter of replacing the Colbert Report, which isn't working out so great for me right now but maybe I'll check-in in a few months and see if it's found a groove (I kind of doubt it but fingers crossed).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really don't think HBO is as effective a podium honestly, I mean you can get away with more but you're not reaching the same amount of people or as big of a cultural name I don't think. Comedy Central is a real strategic sweetspot I think, that definitely more people have access to, so I think it's important that some intelligent funny people are manning two good shows taking on bullshit on the daily there. I don't think John Oliver's show, as good as he may be, is going to replace that sweetspot or have the same cultural impact. People may pirate Game of Thrones in giant amounts but I doubt you can say the same really happens at the same rate with Bill Maher or John Oliver.

I have absolutely no idea who would be good enough to replace Stewart without too much of a loss, though I hope he has some hand in deciding and will still at least do some stuff in the writing/production of the show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

Youtube is a pretty effective podium, and just about every long form piece John Oliver has done is up on the LWT channel.
Ah, I really need to be checking out some of those then, thanks.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
http://www.avclub.com/article/daily-shows-problem-isnt-trevor-noahs-presence-its-217999

quote:

If there’s a tragedy in the show’s succession plan, it’s not so much that Noah was named as Stewart’s successor, it’s that Wilmore wasn’t.

Granted, Wilmore has his hands full with The Nightly Show, having been selected by Stewart to take over the post-Daily Show slot left open when Stephen Colbert decamped for CBS’ Late Show. The Nightly Show toddled out of the gate, as late-night talk formats invariably do, but its initial awkwardness was rooted exclusively in its untested format, which is equal parts Daily Show newsdesk jokes and Bill Maher-style current-affairs roundtable. Wilmore was confident out of the gate, and with good reason, given that he started appearing as a Daily Show correspondent in 2006. Wilmore’s easy charm has solidified further since The Nightly Show began, and though the show is only capable of rising to the level of its roundtable guests, Wilmore has been consistently smart and lively even when his panel doesn’t give him much to work with.
:barf:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
should've picked Olbermann

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Solution: Banish Larry Wilmore back to the Daily Show where he belongs so he can at least give Trevor some backup and give Brian Williams and Keith Olbermann a new co-hosted show called THE NIGHTMARE REPORT where they can run wild and free.
Hell, at least I'd actually bother DVRing that.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 12, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chromatic posted:

Colbert leaving really killed a lot of my interest. The Nightly Show is garbage and Jon seems to be going through the motions these days.
Yeah, honestly for me it was a combination of already drifting away from the Daily/Nightly shows out of an exhaustion over the futile nightmare realm of repetition that I'm sure Jon is trying to escape by leaving, it's like "Sweet, another episode highlighting a horrible hypocrisy or total bullshit that won't be addressed" which I know is a childish and naive attitude but after years I'm just burnt out.
And with Colbert and Jon leaving it was kind of like, eh, I can't blame you dudes for leaving but it's too bittersweet for me to bother watching your final runs.

And I don't even DVR Larry anymore. nope nope nope.
I think when the Trevor Noah era (or when Wilmore is either good or replaced in a year or two) starts I'll finally dip back in and see what's up.

I do catch video bits of Last Week Tonight though, and were he on Comedy Central I'd probably be regularly watching and DVRing him.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Tonight's TNS panel will probably be terrible because Frank Luntz.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's wrong with Risk, maaaaaan? This new host is a bigot :argh:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I stopped watching Larry like 1-2 episodes in in the hope that at some indeterminate time in the future it would be good and then I'd hop on.

With Noah at least those were two fairly entertaining episodes of television that I don't regret dvring

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

raditts posted:

It's weird to see you poo poo on this and then proceed to praise Colbert's LLS which while certainly good by network late night standards, is watered down as gently caress compared to TCR.
Yeah it's definitely a significant number of degrees less clever of a show, where I'm glad to see Colbert back but it's sad seeing him have to play some of those generic late night games/jokes. It's the format that is inescapably inherently archaic and stale, I guess you just have to be optimistic and figure in the future Colbert will mold it more in his own image than the reverse.

imo Noah making a decent Daily Show is way easier and more attainable a goal than Larry succeeding in a Colbert replacement or Colbert breaking the bonds of Late Night and hitting TCR levels

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 30, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like, it's certainly true that a lot of the people involved with the Bill Nye thing (such as your Facebook friend) are lame and insufferable but it still doesn't change that it's a lame unfunny segment on a lame unfunny show. :shrug:
I mean, let me know if it ever becomes television worth the memory space of DVRing because I don't really think it's close to that and I wonder if it'll have enough time to become that before being canceled. I'd hate to see it canceled just because I worry it may not be replaced with another political comedy show from the Daily Show family, and it does seem like CC is willing to give Larry some time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Did early Jon have those guts though? I don't remember early TDS. Like what was his first classic sobering Jon moment? 9/11? I guess anyone would've addressed that though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Beakman's World > Bill Nye
Blasphemy!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sure made it feel like a pretty tiny substanceless episode, though. And the Trevor Noah TDS eps already feel kinda shorter for some reason.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah I mean there's really no comparison, imo Herman Cain was an even greater fount of beauty and humor than Trump (people have been doing Trump jokes forever, it's kinda whatever even with the new material, his voice, his hair, his poo poo about money, his racism, Cain was more unpredictable in a fun way).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnU1XT8bu4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Who cares about the likes of Russell Peters anyway, like make me laugh once dude :shrug: hah hah asians
I don't see Chapelle saying anything so

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So hes saying Ben Carson is carcinogenic? I can buy that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

When he panned over to the table down 3 guys it was a real gut punch. Someone should kick Mitch McConnel in the dick until he passes out.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would probably perform and execute some flips and kicks that both incapacitate the threat(s) and remove me from the premises as quickly as possible.
It would look really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I see a lot of hand–wringing over Noah and Colbert's ratings as of late, should I be worried? It's gonna be a real bitch if Stewart and Colbert's respective moves end up long term unintentionally being the nail in the coffin of humorous progressive (read: just not bullshitty) TV media/commentary. I guess there's John Oliver, but being on HBO really limits your audience. I guess that's not true for Game of Thrones, but I'm not like, pirating seasons of Last Week Tonight.
Should I assume they're piloting such established flagships that they'll be bulletproof for a good while?

• Locked thread