Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's also important that Larry stake out his own identity. One of the reasons John Oliver's show worked, and Colbert's before him is, it wasn't just a Daily Show retread.

Speaking of John Oliver https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1EtSBxm0S4

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Macrame_God posted:

I always thought Charlie Brooker would make a great host for a program like TDS. I imagine that fans of his shows like Screenwipe were also Daily Show watchers. In fact I'm surprised he never made made the jump to American television.

YESSSSSSS

I can't help but wonder if Jon having Bassem on last night wasn't a test run for him.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 11, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Patton Oswalt had a nice suggestion (he had a bunch on twitter, but I liked this one best):

Greg Proops.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised that Stewart didn't want to take the show through the 2016 elections.

It's probably super stressful. I can sorta understand not wanting to do it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Steve Vader posted:

They might pull a Late Night and just promote one of their previously unseen writers, a la Conan O'Brien.

O'Brien was a producer and writer (whose job, funnily enough was to find a host) who happened to audition when a couple other choices said no.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Let's ask Jim Cramer how non-vicious Jon can be. He probably still has flashbacks about that interview.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm not too keen on the idea of a guy who legit thinks Reagan was the best president of all time hosting the show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Who made Huckabee?

The 3 way fight is tied with Letterman working McDonald's and Taco Bell's drivethru as my favorite late night segments ever.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, Stewart's in his mid 50's? I thought he just grayed younger and looked hella distinguished. I thought he was in his mid 40's.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GreenNight posted:

He jokes that he wears a lot of makeup on the show and when fans meet him in public they always ask him if he's sick because he looks so much older.

This makes me feel ancient because I remember one of my first times watching a comedy special was watching Unleavened.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Yeah, there's no way. Comedy Central could take a flier on some random young comedian and give them a show, they do that all the time. But it would be a new show. Honestly, they should just retire the Daily Show brand until there's a real possible successor. Jon far exceeded any expectations anyone could have had for that show. The few people capable of doing what he did aren't likely to take a job on Comedy Central, they have better options.

I think lionizing and trying to bring it back is an even worse idea than handing the keys to a gifted but unproven comedian. Because even if they got somebody great when they brought it back, it's a high loving bar to reach.

I really, really want Charlie Brooker to be offered the job. It'd be so good. I could see Charlie balking for the same reason Jon is leaving, though; Charlie likes doing other projects outside his comedy news stuff, and I think he really enjoys them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Je suis fatigue posted:

The Daily Show with Daniel Tosh

This is the only suggestion I've seen worse than Norm McDonald ( I realize you're probably just joshin' but man alive do I hate me some Tosh).

My suggestion James Adomian....as Jesse Ventura.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oliver also got gifted the Carlos Danger story, which was a homerun for a satire show if there ever was one. Not to say John isn't awesome, mind you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

~DANGER!~

~DANGER!~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjiSm4ZPVKM

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Welcome to The Thesaurus Show, where I harness my loquaciousness to vex and befuddle the unwashed masses yearning to bask crepuscularly in the umbra of my magnificent Galtian shadow."

Gonna have to deduct a couple points due to lack of calling anybody "cha-cha" or "sunshine".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The segment where played Mortal Kombat with Gronk and Marshawn Lynch was terrific.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure Cenac has his focus on stand-up.

He also hasn't done a segment on the show since 2012.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh my god Slate just basically called Trevor Noah the black Sarah Palin.

Slate's the site that kept getting sonned in Twitter debates with Patton Oswalt, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You know I know it's trendy to say that Jon lost his fastball comedically, and I sometimes agree, but last night.....holy poo poo. You can see why. Pure frustration at this point, and who can blame him? The guy bleeds empathy, and stuff like this has to break his heart.

That said, that speech was hot fire.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Steve Vader posted:

That was very weird.

I don't know what the Mo Rocca hate is about. All I remember about him is the lisp.

I didn't hate him but he was pretty unremarkable. Same for Steve Carrel, to the point where Jon joked about Steve not being very good as a correspondent when he came back as a guest to promote 40 Year Old Virgin.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 28, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

That was one hell of an Even Stephen segment. Someday, I must watch them all.

EDIT: Ben Stein before he went nutso is great.

I used to really like Ben before I found out about his various issues. His game show was fun!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Hence the "We good?" "We good."

Watch Marc Maron get pissy about that expression being used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ron Perlman didn't have a ton to say, but his jokes landed and I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'd like to buy the man a beer.

• Locked thread