Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Maybe it's because this thread didn't take off yet; or maybe it's because of less interest without the Report, but I was totally expecting people to complain about "South Park/truth in the middle" here in response to the guest.

This isn't really a "truth is in the middle" thing though. More extreme viewpoints are just easier to measure against each other. If you put a bunch of generally open-minded, tolerant, and nice people in the same place for a while they're probably going to become more open-minded, tolerant, and nice too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Pretty disappointed by the Nightly Show after the first week. I loved Wilmore on TDS, but he seems awkward here, especially in that final section where he just reads a boring Twitter post. All the correspondents have been terrible, and it irrationally annoys me that they've been sloppily dressed. The guests have been kind of meh, and the group discussions fairly worthless. Keep it a hundred is pretty good, but frequently pointless when the person asked hasn't got a particular axe to grind. They also missed a trick not giving the woman from The Blaze 75 too.

Overall, there's potential and it could well improve, but right now it's only my brand loyalty to the Daily Show keeping me watching. It's a pity since Colbert was amazing from the first episode.

Nightly Show definitely needs more something. One thing is as much as I despise Bill Maher him being a dick and/or crazy about some things at least that creates a more watchable dynamic in the guests. Wilmore is just... nice to people? Being nice is fine, and actually better than being a dick, if relevant discussion still happens but it seems like he's too nice to actually dig deeper into his guests' opinions/hypocrisies at the moment. Stewart might have softballed some of his less agreeable guests lately but as the recent Huckabee interview showed he will literally tell his guest, in slightly different words of course, "No, you're lying" to their face if he wants to. I know its only been the first week but the panels so far haven't really been that interesting or funny.

I don't really know what exactly to do though. Fewer guests in the panel? Zeroing in on an even more specific topic? Maybe not doing panels every show might be a good way to mix it up? Wilmore has to have some strong enough opinions about something to sustain more than a few minute introduction. That might start pressing in on Jon Oliver's monologue territory but I doubt anyone except some corners of the internet would care. Could be he just needs more time to direct the panels better.

Or maybe they just don't have the writing staff to write longer bits like Daily Show, Colbert, or Last Week and panels are what we got until ratings improve...or not.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The best result of this is if Stewart is leaving The Daily Show to start another Hour of Power with John Oliver over on HBO.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Jesus Christ, Jon looks like he's hitting his late 60s

Well he is holding his phone vertically.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basically The Nightly Show is starting to look like all those ridiculous news segments and interviews that TDS and TCR made fun of for a decade.

Edit: And I say "starting" only because its so early in its run. It's very much looking like them already.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SyRauk posted:

How is wrestling still a thing?

Let me tell you about a thing called Video Game Championship Wrestling...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

This happened at Summerslam. What a weird and wonderful world we live in.

Both Stephen Amell and Jon Stewart doing dumb wrestling things? AND Stewart going heel? Maybe I need to watch wrestling again.

The best part is that he almost forgot to give the chair back to Rollins.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

At least he's having fun. :shobon:

I think how much fun he had will be determined on how well he took that fall :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Late Show and The Colbert Report literally have the exact same format - Intro comedy bit, middle comedy bit, interview. You just want Colbert to play the Colbert character again.

He's just telling somewhat different jokes now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mo0 posted:

I live in Virginia, and I was kind of bummed he moved on from us before bringing up that some jurisdictions, including the one I live in, have moved BACK to Scantron style fill in the bubble ballots because the touch screen systems had so many problems. The sad part was, it ended up being a good idea. Voting this year was the most painless I can remember it being.

Touch-screen and electronic balloting just seems to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't yet exist, at least from my experiences in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't stop noticing how loudly Ronnie was slapping his hands together every 5 seconds myself :v:

At the moment he's just like Jordan was at the start of his run, and occasionally still is (his recent cooking bit was not that great either), a bit awkward and a bit forced but he'll get better.

• Locked thread