Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
How great would it be if going for a high five on the fuckin Cowboys owner, not even getting it, and still awkwardly shoving himself into a hug, would be what makes people hate Chris more.

Dallas Cowboys: king unmakers in the real world as well as the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea this works way better with a more limited panel.

"Now we're at Vatican City instead of Rape Town"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Ah dicks 4 person panel again. Oh well at least this one has 2 comics on it instead of a politician and a rando show worker to balance the serious folks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh awesome, a Cosby apologist.

I'd honestly rather a dude be a dick and go against it than just 4 people agreeing with Larry like yesterday.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is way more entertaining than yesterday, yea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Larry was really good at handling a dude super obviously trying to be contrarian for shock laughs in a way that kept things entertaining.

I'm not 100% this will last long but as a show I think it's got some real potential.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

Two honkies people on this panel, boo

2 white guys and a black republican took out the token 'whitest panel possible for a show focused on minority issues and perspectives' slot early.

Good episode though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Winkie01 posted:

wtf 3 white people?

oh wait 1 is cuban still

It's a cuban panel with hispanic guests, shockingly enough Larry probably doesn't want to be 'the black show' because we know where that ends in most networks.

This is a good panel.

"I came out against Bill Cosby and he's just as black!

Arguably blacker..."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
John Leguizamo is a wonderful man.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This keepin it 100 is perfect, it feels like this show is starting to really get into its groove with these last couple.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

What is Cuba Gooding Jr. doing on that raft

Heard there was work, I assume.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Well the show's week started rocky but man that was a great finish.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

How hard is the dick-punch? Is Obama angry at me?

He's picturing John Boehner when he does it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

kittenmittons posted:

Who are the pigs in that analogy?

Minorities or poor people if they're being slaughtered to get right wing agendas done.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea if there's one thing I could not care less about it's five randos giving their opinion of the state of parenting today.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think as we saw from his Netflix special, Nick Offerman is not funny unless he has the Parks and Rec writers behind him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

skaboomizzy posted:

I don't know if she's ready to host, but I hope Jessica Williams gets "senior writer" or something. Everything she does on The Daily Show is fantastic.

Yea I have no idea if she can host but she better get some kinda bump in the reshuffling because boy do her segments always rule.

I'd kinda love it if they move away from the 'host' as a whole, you know? Just focus on the interviews/field report jokes and all and just have someone serve as the curator between those bits? Like, the weakest jokes of TDS are almost always "So in the news today this guy said a dumb thing, woah what a dumb thing audience boos go here" desk stuff, right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah, Jon's 9/11 speech is what made me a fan.

I've posted it many times on these forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXcmc2AZ6ZE

I was a kid when 9/11 happened and I was a lovely kid who thought watching TDS was edgy and cool and poo poo and while this isn't 'one of my first memories' (I was 10 not 5) this was basically the first time I as a at the time borderline lower middle class kid felt like there was a legitimate 'danger' in the world and all beyond the normal 'don't talk to strangers' poo poo and 'yea don't go by that guy's place he's fuckin dealing'. His post 9/11 speech was the only one that in that dumb kid mindset actually hit home enough to make me understand that yea this is a scary and hosed up thing that happened and yea there's a lot of hate and anger all over the world aimed at people who don't deserve it, but also that you can't focus on how much that sucks if you want to actually live.

I stopped watching for a bit because, like others said, it just got kinda stale and softball rather than it really was 'bad' persay, and I've given Stewart plenty of poo poo when it sounds like he's just sucking off guys like Huckabee and Papa Bear and poo poo, but this is a legit stinging kinda loss.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Concerned parent and author" is maybe the worst thing you can say when giving someone's credentials.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Princeton Mom is the best comedy book of last year.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"I found a tear in my eye" is the most English way to say 'I was very emotional'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
All panel answering questions is a solid premise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nevermind S.E. Cupp is here, this is loving terrible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
S.E. Cupp is literally retarded

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toona the Cat posted:

SE Cupp has bad opinions but she's dreamy.

Literally why she's currently employed

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bass Bottles posted:

I thought SE Cupp actually had the best answer to the anti-vaxxer question out of anyone. Shame and ostracize people who don't get vaccines.

It's actually incredibly cruel to say 'no just put these kids out to sea away from society because their mom and dad were too loving stupid to get them shots'. We arrest you if you don't feed your kid, we arrest you if you don't give your kid clothes, I have zero ethical issue arresting you if you're willing to let your kid get loving polio or whatever because you're too dumb to understand how vaccines work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Echo Chamber posted:

The black fatherhood panel was the best panel because they had a lot of time to talk and the discussion wasn't framed as a two-sided controversy.

Maybe panels should just be a once-a-week thing on shows without a comedy segment in the first act. And the rest of the week can have a structure more similar to TDS/TCR format (with no panel) that we're used to.

But I'm not sure if the people running the show even know there's a problem. Stewart retiring pretty much took all the attention of bloggers away from potential "The Problem with 'The Nightly Show'" think pieces. They may act otherwise, but they're most certainly looking at blogs for critiques and reactions. ("Did I die?")

Yea it's best when the topic is an actual discussion, and it sucks that the only way that happens is if it's something like black fatherhood when there literally isn't an 'other side' to represent unless he's gonna get just like the worst dude ever to be all 'yea gently caress those kids'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

He looks like he's trying to go for some kind of Hunter S. Thompson thing.

The idea a guy like him thinks he's anywhere near Thompson is the literal saddest thing I've heard in a while but also is a think I 100% could imagine him thinking.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

old dog child posted:

The Daily Show with Chris Hardwick followed by The Hardwick Report and then @Midnight with Chris Hardwick

who's ready?

I'll watch them all.

Also come on, it'd be Talking News With Chris Hardwick

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Except the Assad thing was a basic meeting and this was an overt attempt to sabotage a sitting president's attempt at a deal? I really hate when TDS tries to equate things.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
When did nick dipaolo become a straight up white supremacist

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neeksy posted:

The basis of this conversation is pretty dumb. Freedom of speech is not "consequence-free saying awful/racist poo poo in the public sphere". The basic argument they're making is that the public should essentially just sit down and shut up.

The example they gave of the woman who tweeted that "Going to africa, hope I don't get AIDS" line? She worked in PR. If you have a PR person doing that in public, of course you'd fire them.

To be fair this isn't 'freedom of speech' it's literally asking if there should be things people shouldn't say.

I'm not pretending that's not a loving retarded question in itself, but it's a unique one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Not gonna lie nerdball is a pretty funny thing to call someone

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think Nick should just wear a hat that says 'white devil' all the time anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobjr posted:

I almost think Nick DiPaolo told a bad racist set at a college show or something and everyone got pissed at him and he just never let it go.

He's just a huge piece of poo poo who's always been a sad bitter little man in the comedy world, it's just his recent string of being nothing but a bit player at best on his friends' shows has left him going 'gently caress it WHITE MEN ARE THE MOST OPPRESSED GROUP IN AMERICA PC POLICE'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's hilarious that in the thread that someone compared 'tumblr folks' to loving Tipper Gore the biggest reactions 99% of people have had to this has been 'yea, some of those were lovely, they're also all years old so who gives a poo poo' and the most hysteria has come from the "YOU CAN'T PC POLICE COMEDY YOU loving TUMBLR SHITBABIES".

Like, gently caress, no one wants to take comedy away, no one actually gives a poo poo about this except for a small amount of idiots and a bunch of loving buzzfeed nobody 'journalists' who needed a story for mid week. The funniest reaction this got was getting Oswalt to sperg out over it probably.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's not what I said. It has nothing to do with him being religious; Colbert teaches Sunday school for Christ's sake. If I got pissy about every media figure who was religious, I'd not have much to watch or hear. The issue is that his opinions are/were so loving dumb. I welcome intelligent opposing opinions. Stewart said poo poo I disagreed with regularly, but there was usually evidence that he had put thought into his opinion. The stuff in those tweets is sub-O'Reilly level.

Unbelievable.
VVVVVVVVVVV

You're a grown man who lives in the age of the internet and you're mad someone didn't think a tweet through.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

raditts posted:

What kind of loving rear end in a top hat do you have to be to drop a Godwin on this "religious freedom" business and not realize at all how stupid it makes you look.

Also, this whole thing with the homophobic pizza place is like the story of the Racist Tree, if it ended with a bunch of racists stacking a wall of money around the tree at the end.

Hilariously this has been settled, even. A bakery not wanting to put an anti-gay message on a cake was just sided with in court, it's almost as if offensive messages are different than blanket hate for groups.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

berserker posted:

I wonder what that obvious edit during the Peter Dinklage interview was all about.

"So no seriously Jon Snow is actually Rhaegar Targaryen's son and the true heir to the Iron Throne right?"

"Yea"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aphrodite posted:

Mainly "Good Nightly", since God willing that's the only bit of the show I end up seeing.

I never hear that without thinking of that Simpsons joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwgRoy057wc

Good moleman to you, Larry.

• Locked thread