Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Y-Hat posted:

The thing that really got me about Herman Cain was how he had a sense of self-awareness about how ridiculous his campaign was.

Just a sense?

e: Instead of "Something else entirely," could the third option be "just not very good" or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I'm sorry, I missed this guy's intro. He's talking about D&D, right?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

raditts posted:

Totally Biased was worth it if only for his supernova burn on Ben Carson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3f1PdfZzNU

Having never seen Totally Biased, you're not exactly selling it by linking a joke that is on par with low effort flaming.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know what TDS is going to do if the old guard like Mandvi and Jones leave. They're honestly head and shoulders above some of the newer people.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Is that actual sign language? I mean, are we sure this isn't another Mandela funeral?

It's real, as funny as that would be.

As far as signing goes, his expressiveness isn't that out of the ordinary.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 28, 2015

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress you Wilmore. This topic is so one sided that not even CNN pretends there is a controversy. gently caress you for letting an anti-vaxxer on your show.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I'm still pissed that Larry Wilmore let someone like that on his show. Anti-vaxxers have exactly zero opinions worth listening to. Artificially creating a debate where, logically speaking, one shouldn't exist is dishonest as gently caress.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

They let ONE thing slip by because pausing the panel to pull up Snopes would be ridiculous, and 100% of TNS audience knew it was BS anyway.

You are comically overestimating people. Young parents are exactly the type of people who eat up everything anti-vaxxers spit out.

You shouldn't have a panel on vaccinations because it isn't a debate worth having. It's solidly one-sided, and pretending otherwise is dangerous. TNS gave her a platform and she took advantage of it. The only correct way to handle a person like her is to keep her away from a camera.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

And I think they absolutely should have the debate about anti-vaxxers: you only defeat the stupid by engaging and debating the stupid. Simply yelling "YOU ARE WRONG" just gets those people to buckle down and preach harder.

These are people who already believe that there is a massive conspiracy between corporations, doctors, researchers, the WHO, and the CDC to cover up the connection between vaccines and autism, there is literally nothing you can say to defeat this kind of stupid. You can't defeat them, you can only keep the cancer from spreading by not giving them a soapbox on which to shout their retarded beliefs.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

They feel like the kind of liberals who seriously refer to Fox News as Faux News and still have a huge fixation on Sarah Palin.

I don't think Jon Stewart would approve a bit that would mock him as much as anyone.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Kristen Stewart being on the cover of No Fucks Monthly is about the most on point thing this show has done.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Je suis fatigue posted:

Jordan Klepper also seems like a good pick. He's a bit green but it makes sense from a network position GOTTA GET THE YOUTH AUDIENCE.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report both show you don't need a young guy to appeal to young people, you just need someone who can be funny to that age group.

That said, The Daily Show with Jessica Williams would own.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I started watching TDS when I was about 13 in 09, and have watched intermittently over the course of my adolescence. I've literally never watched anything else for news because as Jon's proved over the years, most of the MSM is full of poo poo. Really gonna a show that was fundamental to my understanding of the news and how it works

If your only source of news is The Daily Show and you are under the impression that you therefore have a firm understanding of the news of the world, you are kidding yourself. Read a loving newspaper.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

And yet you seem to be far more out-of-touch :v:

If your idea of news is watching a comedy show, then yes, a newspaper is gonna blow your mind. They're still one of the best news aggregators if you have some irrational disdain for television news.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I never actually watched his show, how is he?

He's funny, but like TDS, a lot of the humor requires some level of familiarity with Egyptian politics.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I really don't think HBO is as effective a podium honestly, I mean you can get away with more but you're not reaching the same amount of people or as big of a cultural name I don't think. Comedy Central is a real strategic sweetspot I think, that definitely more people have access to, so I think it's important that some intelligent funny people are manning two good shows taking on bullshit on the daily there. I don't think John Oliver's show, as good as he may be, is going to replace that sweetspot or have the same cultural impact. People may pirate Game of Thrones in giant amounts but I doubt you can say the same really happens at the same rate with Bill Maher or John Oliver.

Youtube is a pretty effective podium, and just about every long form piece John Oliver has done is up on the LWT channel.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I'm honestly kind of surprised that Stewart didn't want to take the show through the 2016 elections.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Hazo posted:

Hahaha does anybody know that Brownback guy's justification for allowing gays to be fired or harassed?

Well, you see, an order requiring equality in the workplace can not be issued by a Governor, and instead is the responsibility of the legislature. This matters because Brownback is an anti-gay oval officefor some reason. :shrug:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not a good sign. It means CC knows that if TDS isn't new, most people aren't going to bother sticking around or tuning in if TNS is new.

One can hope they take the two weeks and look really closely at what they've done and what isn't working.

TDS and Colbert always went off and came back at the same time until Colbert left. I'm pretty sure Comedy Central just considers it a 1 hour block that happens to have two hosts.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

Bassem Youssef is doing an AMA and commented on the possibility of him hosting The Daily Show

I think he's right that his thick accent makes him a no-go for Comedy Central, but it's interesting that he seems like he'd say "yes" if they actually asked him to.

drat you. I was perfectly happy living under the assumption that he wouldn't want to do it. Now you've gone and ruined that, and I'll be disappointed when they end up going with someone else.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Has the Daily Show ever filmed/been in the process of filming an episode and then not aired it due to a major news story? I'm curious to hear if it has ever happened.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Do frats really have live in old ladies?

I really don't understand how fraternities work

Yes, some frats still have house moms, and it's the weirdest loving thing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deuce posted:

It's Comedy Central.

She's Tina Fey.

They don't have that kind of budget.

http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/who-are-the-highest-paid-stars-in-tv-1200585236/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh my god, that hearing was basically Take Your Pick in the modern day.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

The antisemitism charge is hilariously off-base. Some of the comments about women are admittedly problematic, if you remove them from the context that tis twitter.

Why the gently caress has this word blown up so much? It's like someone needed a word to express their distaste without putting any effort into it, and felt the term "off-color" wasn't judgmental enough.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

Did he have a point there? It seemed like another tepid and boring comedy-can-do-nothing-wrong-stop-getting-so-offended rant.

e: It's pretty wrong to dig through someone's twitter from 3+ years ago to try to find instances where their jokes went wrong and capitalize on it, but those jokes were also pretty bad and shouldn't be defended

Okay, so they were bad jokes. They're bad jokes because the punchline isn't funny, they're not bad jokes because they're somehow "wrong."

Noah is being defended because people are jumping down his throat, not because his jokes were bad, but because they didn't agree with his comedy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cabbit posted:

And if he does, or did, think that stuff was a good premise for a funny joke, doesn't that speak in some way to his beliefs, politics, or the quality of his character?

Do you even watch the Daily Show? Correspondents like Jason Jones, Sam Bee, and others get huge mileage out of the "telling horrifying jokes they don't actually believe" shtick. That's what a joke is.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I promise this will not be an INTERNET ATHEIST post. These posts of Trevor's have received little or no press attention. I also think it's notable that they aren't jokes.

I'm an atheist but I'm also used to these kinds of statements being totally OK in our society. Fine. What troubles me as a fan of TDS and TCR is how mind-bogglingly dumb these are. If I'd given you these blind and said a celebrity said them, you'd probably guess Larry the Cable Guy or some idiot country western singer. This is the kind of stuff you see fundamentalist Christians put on bumper stickers. Holy poo poo.

Yep, a scripted comedy show with a team of writers is going to fall off a cliff because the host is religious.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Another obnoxious laugher in the crowd tonight.

I'm fairly convinced these obnoxious laughs are coming from retards who want to watch the show with their friends later and say "yep, that screeching in the background is me!"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"The ubiquity of cell phones is far outpacing police awareness of the ubiquity of cell phones" may be my favorite Daily Show line.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

raditts posted:

Jon regularly lets O'Reilly come on and spew his loving verbal sewage uncontested

It's actually worse than that. Jon lets O'Reilly come onto his show, then acts like a douchebag to the point that O'Reilly comes across as the more level headed one. Seriously, Bill O'Reilly absolutely has Stewart's number. He knows he can just sit there, drumming up publicity for his book, and all he has to put up with is an irate Jon Stewart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's a real bummer that the Daily Show didn't have any sort of system in place for staff (let's call them correspondents) to come on and do a segment about a particular issue that they were passionate about.

• Locked thread