Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'll admit I could probably waste a lot of time on the Nazi plan to bring back Aurochs because that's a subject that fascinates me, but holy poo poo that segment on Salt Lake homelessness was amazing in every way and I have no problem with the fact that others would rather talk about that instead.

Honestly, "lets create legendary bovine for our supermen to wrestle" is like, the first and only thing that made me wish I could like Nazis.

Mitch McConnell can eat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jessica Williams made that about as bearable as possible.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Holy poo poo, that moment of zen. :psyduck:

There's just so much there to unpack.

EDIT: So The Nightly Show isn't going to be uploaded to Hulu? That kind of sucks.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 20, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm all in on The Nightly Show. I really enjoy the panel format, and I like most of the guests he's had on in the three episodes we've got. Godfrey kind of sucked.

Also, I laughed at the small Bravest Warriors reference at the end.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dead Snoopy posted:

How many episodes of Nightly Show were there last week? For some reason I only saw 3.

Four. The first one, whose topic I can't remember, the second one on Cosby, the third on the State of the Union address, and the fourth on Cuba.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

I think the Nightly Show is still pretty good?

Me too. I find it pretty engaging. I do think Larry needs to adopt a skill for confronting claims made on his show, though. I'm willing to give him a season or two to develop that skill.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought tonight's Keeping It 100 was pretty enjoyable.

I thought the reverend's defense of anti-gay attitudes was the same tired lines we've been hearing for a decade about why some things in the bible are okay to discard and others are sacrosanct and I'm just about ready to go and gay marry someone just to hasten the End Times.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Common was a great guest and I hope he's back on again soon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I really don't think being a panel show is the problem. They desperately need better guests and Larry needs to figure out a host style that benefits the show.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

Lewis Black gives no fucks as long as the money is green; not only did he have a bit on whatever that lovely Fox News Daily Show knockoff was at the same time he had a bit on The Daily Show, he openly admitted that fact on TDS.

Aside, if you're in this thread and were fortunate enough to not know about The 1/2 Hour News Hour, go watch it now. It's fantastically awful.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Prosperity Gospel is a good topic. It's such a weird and lovely thing, and more people need to know about it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

IRQ posted:

And Larry did nothing to further that. As usual.

Yeah, you got me there. It's frustrating, but it really feels like Larry is a little in over his head. He doesn't seem to have the ability to tackle bad and bad faith arguments on the spot. Stuff that Colbert could do in his sleep.

What I'm saying is that I miss The Colbert Report.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought tonight's episode was alright. I enjoyed Lewis Black shooting down the notion that Creationists need respect.

Larry's staff sucks at performance.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Did anyone read Patton Oswalts 53 Tweet rant on it?
http://www.fastcompany.com/3044542/the-recommender/how-patton-oswalt-won-the-trevor-noah-twitter-debate
Granted he didn't write full 53 tweets about it, some of them were just one word.

Worth it for the end.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Baha ha ha ha ha the internet will eat itself.

Not soon enough.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Cool pastor vs. robo pastor had me in tears. That was the dumbest forced rivalry I've ever seen.

My favorite Daily Show fluff piece in a long time.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

NDT explaining to two grown adults that the moon landing was real made me sad.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

To be fair, I doubt most people understand the distinction.

I'm still a little fuzzy on it, to be honest.

E: The Last Airbender being known as a lovely M Night film instead of the TV show is infinitely sad.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 28, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Who is the interview tonight?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jon is not having any of this author's bullshit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jessica Williams, walking among human dildos.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nichael posted:

There were moments in that report where if I were her, I'd be kind of concerned for my safety. The people there were particularly crazy.

That one popular bigot in particular seemed ready for violence.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jon has Ernest Moniz on to talk about nuclear issues, and all I can think is that the guy looks like his own political cartoon caricature.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

ultramiraculous posted:

While true, would you say that was a bad interview? He seemed interestingly transparent. I wouldn't have expected him to be so obviously coy with "we will verify" or whatever. This show was weird for me, because the guy looks like a caricature of a British PM, but he seemed pretty comfortable getting right to the brink of confidential disclosure.

I honestly can't say. I got distracted with work during it. The initial part seemed a step above the usual guest fare.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I want a Daily Show Choose Your Own Adventure.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Eh, I'm optimistic about the future of the Daily Show. At the very least, I'm going to give Trevor Noah the same chance I gave Jon- instantly dislike him, and then pretend I've always loved him after he gets Tucker Carlson fired.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I didn't see this video before, way to escalate things, Officer Barrel Roll.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

One of the folks over at Fox was trying to throw an axe at a target, and threw it over the target and into a guy's loving arm. :stonk:

It was the most honest mistake someone at Fox has ever made.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jesus, The Nightly Show had a killer ending.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I miss this movie review bit.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Guh, talking about the Columbia shuttle. :sadwave:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Joe Bob Briggs?!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So was this McCain's first encounter with The Daily Show?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.avclub.com/article/his-l...t%3A1%3ADefault

This is so loving boss. Instead of going out on the handjobby farewell he deserves, Jon Stewart is going to let his foes come at him. I hope he gets Bush. gently caress you, Bush, go on the show.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Classic McConaughey.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I forgot this ever happened.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

"though I may have never won a Peabody" :unsmith:

e: Topher Grace detailing the plot to Wild Wild West sarcastically. It's amazing.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 2, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jesse Helms railing against gay marriage and adoption. I love it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dammit, is this a two week hiatus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Man, I really wish I had something more to say. I've been watching The Daily Show since it began, and the longest hiatus I had was the eight months I was in basic training and tech school. The Daily Show has been such a permanent fixture of my adult life, and while I know it's not going away, it's certainly going to change. My biggest worry is that Trevor Noah isn't going to be given the same chance Stewart had to grow into the role. The Daily Show is such a different beast now, compared to 1999. It's a cultural landmark that carried a lot of weight under Stewart, and I really do want that to continue under the new host.

• Locked thread