Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Trevor Noah being accused of joke stealing again, this time from Chapelle

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/trevor-noah-racism-connoisseur-joke-831381

According to that article, Russell Peters later stated his accusation of theft was a prank. Was his claim ever substantiated because he looks pretty serious in that video and confidently names another comedian, David Kau, that Noah allegedly stole from.

I've seen some of Noah's stand-up and he seems to stick to South African race relations, South African politics and racism in general pretty exclusively, so the Chappelle thing I would give him the benefit of the doubt on. But if there's some hard evidence concerning the Russell Peters and David Kau accusations that would be a little more worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Here's the David Kau material in question. (At 2:50)
http://youtu.be/1WvLlai3fHI

And here is trevor noah (at 3:00)
http://youtu.be/1WvLlai3fHI

Doesn't seem like joke theft to me, more like a really obvious thing they both made jokes about because it's an easy thing to joke about.

Yeah it seems like people are really going out of their way to break Noah down to their level. I was watching the documentary on Noah's rise to fame in the South African comedy circuit on Netflix, and there are several segments where other comedy veterans are asked to comment on Noah's rise, and pretty much all of them lambasted him for being amateurish, that his rise has been too fast, that he has too much confidence for someone who's only been in comedy for a year and hasn't put enough time in the trenches. They were expecting this guy to "have more experience" before he breaks out despite the fact that, ya know, black guys haven't been allowed to be comedians in South Africa for all that long.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
The breitbart article was sensationalist and the drop in ratings isn't something that Comedy Central wasn't expecting or unprepared for.

Jon Stewart's ratings sucked for two years after he took the mantle

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

IRQ posted:

That one confuses me, is hating jews a big thing again or are they trying to play off the muslim registry as no big deal like let's register jews too what's the problem?

drawing a comparison between modern practices and convictions with those of one of the worst genocides in history turns out to be a pretty effective argumentative strategy

• Locked thread