Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoever moved Kamau Bell to, like, fifty episodes a week made a huge mistake. The show was already hit and miss, but pushing so many episodes out really forced everything to be spread way too thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can understand the pro-life position.

I just cannot understand why the gently caress those same people want to limit access to contraception. That's where the argument goes from "you're taking a life!" to "Keep your legs shut, slut."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Nightly show really does feel like a direct sequel of the daily show during the monologue opening bits. Kinda concerned what will happen when Wilmore covers a story that doesn't have a quick angle on it for him to work with - how does he differentiate himself from Stewart's schtick? Even colbert occasionally echoed TDS a little too closely from time to time.

I like the panel idea, but it definitely needs some finesse. Bill Maher is loud and combative, to the point where his panels all too often devolve into "Maher's opinion vs. anyone else". But Wilmore was drat near silent during the panel discussion, and I definitely felt his absence.

I could also give a poo poo if the panel discussion is "funny" or not. I'll take a tightly edited panel discussion over Stewart fluffing a celebrity's new project any day of the week.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I actually didn't watch much of Colbert his first year. The Word was such a constant fixture, and far from the well-honed machine of precise satire it later became. For me, Colbert's first year was a "watch an episode when people raved about it last night and/or when I had time to kill." It wasn't until I got older and the colbert had time to settle into a groove that I really fell for it. I was very much a "Daily show is above reproach, Colbert's just doing a schtick!" for a long time.

And then green screen challenge and the better know a districts started humming, threatdown, the sport report, bits on war on christmas... the whole thing gelled for me. And the daily show also hit a ROUGH period at that same point, so I kinda transferred all my adoration over.

The Cosby stuff was hit or miss - I thought the monologue had some good moments but the correspondent bit felt like one joke stretched into a weak TDS bit. And while I wish the panel gave more context for those unaware on certain things (mainly how much Cosby poo poo-talked and berated the black community for decades), it also gave way to some very strong and loose moments.

I pretty much came of age during Politically Incorrect, and am very happy to see a great panel discussion on tv again. There's surely work to be done, but I do think its acheiving its purpose even this early in the game. I watched tonight's episode with my mom (staunch centrist democrat, very white middle class) and at several points in the panel she said "I never thought of that" and started nodding her head when the woman from Ebony was speaking.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I like having correspondents on the panel, but the bits where they do schtick during the monologue really need to be taken out of the format. I'd much rather burn that five minutes with an extended panel or looser monologue.

Oddly enough, I kinda adore Keep it 100. It really is another crack at the TDS Seat of Heat, but doing it with a panel somehow makes it click.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I totally understand why Larry doesn't call bullshit on his guests more - he's clearly wary of becoming a Bill Maher-like demagogue who dominates every show.

And I think they absolutely should have the debate about anti-vaxxers: you only defeat the stupid by engaging and debating the stupid. Simply yelling "YOU ARE WRONG" just gets those people to buckle down and preach harder.

But christ on crutches, someone really needed to slam down the anti-vaxxer for her citing a widely discredited CDC "Report." That's their duty to do so, not to crack more iffy jokes and move on.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally got caught up on last week's episodes and yeah - the panels need way more time and/or a shift in format.

Its pretty infuriating that the panelists get to talk once, maybe two times if they're lucky. And while I like that Wilmore shifts the conversation around, almost every single panel has ended with a guest questioning another guest: only for Larry to step in with a quick "And we're done!"

I've taught high schoolers before, and one key to leading great discussions is to know when to steer the conversation towards a worthwhile topic and when to let students engage each other's points head on.

Its a tough balance, and something learned over time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tina Fey and/or Amy Poehler would be my dream pick.

You have to find someone who is a good interviewer and can deliver a punchline. That's the easy part.

But then you have to find someone who has a solid handle on politics, without ever veering into Bill Maher-style zealotry. That's a much, much smaller list.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

My main fear is that whoever gets the daily show will move it away from politics and into just another late night schtick-mobile. Colbert will already be trading in his pointed political humor for a broader riff on pop culture with CBS, I don't want TDS to be neutered too.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was born in 1987, and graduated high school in 2005. I never really watched TDS before I got to college, since this was the pre-DVR era. If I was up late working on school stuff I'd occasionally take a break and watch a random episode if the times lined up.

But TDS didn't even begin to "get" mainstream until the run-up to the 2004 election. That and Abu Ghraib were my big political awakening. I still remember yelling in my US History class "WHY DOES NO ONE CARE WE TORTURED PEOPLE?!" and having my teacher discretely tell me to start watching The Daily Show.

I later went back to watch some of Stewart's 2000 election coverage, and its hilarious how much they got away with since they were so unknown.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have no problem with an anti-vaxxer being on. Enough people hold that viewpoint that it needs to be confronted and argued about.

I have huge issues with no one calling out anti-vaxxer positions. Twice. Both of which can be solved with a simple google search or someone who took a single biology class in college.

A few people worried that Wilmore would be too old to host a show like this - and I'm beginning to agree. He's totally disconnected from mainstream progressive thought, which is a big problem. Even when Stewart didn't understand an issue (like catcalling), he went out and sought other voices who could speak to a different perspective. There's none of that here, at all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I watched some of Stewart's standup from 1996 or so, and there's plenty of political stuff. Not a ton, mind you. But there's definitely a voice there.

And I'll be frank - Jimmy Kimmel and Fallon and Colbert are all going to have the market on general pop culture riffs well loving travelled. And especially with the Nightly Show still very much in flux:

I need a goddamn daily satirical news show unafraid to tackle politics.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Community has gotten six seasons, somehow. I admire the show greatly, but I wouldn't want to keep it running past its expiration date.

Judging by the white house correspondents dinner gig, Joel McHale could do the job just fine.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Stewart's "thing" has always been to criticize the media more than the politicians. His most acidic words have always been lodged at CNN or Fox News or more traditional outlets - and although he's given more time to CNN the media has always been his primary target.

And to be honest, in an ideal world I hope the next host kinda veers away from that topic. I'm much more interested in exposing the entire political machine where the media is just one enabler, and not the root cause of the disease.

But mainly I'm just worried that someone will look at TDS and turn it back into a generic "satire" riff. You can and probably should change a lot of things up, but the daily show's one non-negotiable element is the focus on politics and government. Take that away and you're left with nothing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Agreed that the best episodes of TNS have picked issues that lend themselves to a broader more nuanced sort of discussion - I liked the one where they talked about what type of guy Obama was.

But the second the show tries to take a big headline issue, the sort of thing that should be their bread and butter, they fall and they fall hard on their face.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

You solve the fatchecking problem by having on actual goddamn experts to counter bullshit claims. Like the anti-vaxxer episode could've used, you know, an actual outspoken scientist, for one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I do think that Stewart's whole "Everyone would get along if we just talked calmly" centrism feels dated. Not always, and I certainly don't want him to wag the Democratic or progressive flag day in and day out, but I get why TDS is criticized for that.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I started watching TDS when the Iraq War started to turn sour (by which I mean two or so weeks into the war effort), and watched the show whenever I could. The second we got DVR I don't think I ever missed an episode. Even when I travelled and bounced around hostels for weeks on end - I made time for TDS and Colbert.

I now have 12 episodes of the Nightly Show sitting unplayed on my DVR. That makes me sad, for no real reason at all.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm kinda surprised that TDS isn't doing ANY coverage of CPAC.

I'd prefer that to another round of Fox News asshatery.

---

At the risk of being ageist, I remember a bunch of people pointing out that Larry Wilmore wasn't going to be anywhere near edgy enough for the gig. And while I don't know if that's where the problem lies, the show's perspective continues to be way, way too mainstream. Total surface - like what conservatives who have never watched TDS imagine TDS to be.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I don't see how losing Bee or Jones somehow declares the end of TDS. I'll start worrying if Jessica Williams finds a new gig.

And although I agree that their 11 pm hour block is vulnerable, CC has had a string of really great original scripted comedy these past few years.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm just going to hold out hope they'll go back to CPAC when they do a 2016 update next week...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Even if the whole thing was called "educate me!" and the host had on experts to talk about what they're interested in. One of the things I loved about tds and colbert is how they treated academics and writers and historians as worthy guests.

There's just been a lot of basic talk on the nightly show - no unique angles, no wild theories, just the exact same angles on issues you could fine anywhere else. And I'm fine with having uneducated people on (Bill Maher's old abc show mined that vein for great effect), but you also need people willing and able to call them out on flagrant bullshit.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It shouldn't be too loving hard to get an academic professor to come on the show to talk about stuff. But for whatever reason, the panels seem to be more of a "Whoever the hell shows up" grabbag. Which is fine, but they REALLY need a stronger scholastic voice.

Which, not to be all COLBERT HELL YEAH about it, was one of the best facets of The Colbert Report.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The antisemitism charge is hilariously off-base. Some of the comments about women are admittedly problematic, if you remove them from the context that tis twitter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Problematic as in "I'm vaguely uneasy about it and understand some of the outrage" about it.

But I watched his standup on netflix last night and I'd much rather have a comedian be funny on stage than on twitter.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

His African American standup has plenty of strong bits that would "shock" the mainstream. Even when he takes on the oft-mocked topic of airport security he turns it into a riff on concentration camps, middle eastern prejudice, and American paranoia.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Oswalt's current bits remind me a lot of latter day George Carlin. Its still thought provoking and occasionally funny, but I rarely laugh out loud at it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the weirdest thing is that people act like Noah is an unknown and all we have to look at is these four year old tweets.

Go watch his stand up special African American. Its a drat fine way to spend an hour.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could take any five minute clip of African American and it'd have more satirical weight than anything Wilmore has done with the nightly show.

Not going to lie, I do miss Colbert's ability to nail Catholics to the cross (sorry) while at the same time also taking the piss out of douchey atheists.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I could care less about impressions. I really dug the part of the standup where he talked about having to "Trade up" to being black.

Admittedly, the whole riff on the metric system was some low hanging fruit. Nowhere near as good as John Oliver's riff on america goofiness, which including a bit about an inflatable barbecue that is still one of the finest bits I've witnessed.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Steve Vader posted:

The Blagoyevich voice isn't Jewish Grandmother. It's Jerry Lewis/Professor Frink.

I never saw the Professor Frink comparison until now. Well played.

For me, nothing matches Stewart's Queen Impression. I have no idea why that cracks me up so much.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Holy poo poo, I just watched the Death Penalty episode based on everyone saying it was terrible.

When someone mentioned that solitary confinement is happening, people CHEERED. And then Wilmore made a lovely joke. And earlier in the monologue he didn't even address the question of the death penalty from anything other than the most basic goddamn definition.

Like, I had a government class senior year of high school where half the class was getting handies and the other half were baked - and we had a more elevated (and funnier) discussion than anything in this episode.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was bad about this one? I gave up after Wilmore laughed along with Mr. Lets Rape Tsarnaev because prison rape, transgender, and muslim jokes are en vogue.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was Wilmore's response to Mo'nique though? Did he shrug and laugh it off? Or address it at all?

I don't mind bullshit views. I just want them to be exposed as such.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm just gonna quote from the googles on this, I think its from the WHO.

"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.

"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think its abundantly clear that TNS is great at covering things through a racial lense - and topics like Cosby, police brutality, or rioter's motivations really have led to great episodes.

But the further they get from that, the dicier everything gets.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I feel like the Graham impression is my third favorite of his, behind the Bush laugh and the Queen's helloooo.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Stewart's piece on Caitlyn Jenner was really really drat good.

On a day by day basis, I do think that Stewart is unable to fully hit the high notes he used to be able to make sing. But he's still capable of really incisive commentary.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ferguson came the closest to reinvigorating the late night talk show format.

Kinda crazy to see how influential Jimmy Fallon's "style" has become though. Corden is definitely closer to Fallon that I would have guessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

IRQ posted:

Yep! It's basically lovely spider sense without the other powers and a pro-thoughtcrime bent because Fox(I'm sure there will be pro-torture scenes within 3 episodes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLl-DMzxrk

Also I agree that Jon is doing whatever the gently caress he wants in his last 6 weeks, but it is in n way lazy or lovely. He's earned the chance to finally tell democratic senators he interviewed over the years what boring shitlords they are and do non-joke episodes when utter insanity like an admitted racist shoots a bunch of black people and the right somehow tries to claim it's not about racism or guns.

What democratic senators got that treatment?

• Locked thread