Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Jesus crystal-meth-smoking Christ. This is awful. Why does Bill Nye do poo poo like this anyway? This is about as worthwhile as the Ham debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Youth Decay posted:

I gotta say, there's a weird sharp undercurrent of racism to some of the TNS criticism, at least from the Bill Nye fanboys/Reddit crowd. The "he talks about race too much", "Comedy Central appeasing SJWs", "lol dumb black people" that sort of thing is pervasive. They went nuts when he brought on the two protestors who interrupted the Bernie Sanders rally and can't seem to let it go either.

Trevor Noah seems like he might bring up race on TDS a bit more than Stewart (a good thing) so it'll be interesting to see the response.

Totally agreed. I don't really care for TNS, but I really stopped watching with the whole Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should undergo forcible gender reassignment surgery and be raped in jail part. Most of the criticisms I see of the show are that white people don't like hearing a black guy talk about racism or they think he's making too much of it.

It's a shame because I actually really like Larry, and I think the show could be better. I loved him on TDS.

Edit: To your question.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 1, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Can he not cover it tonight?

I always thought Jon was at his best when he was serious, personally. Let's see what Trevor's got. Tragedy has occurred, and there's been no time.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Sure, fair point. But also, TDS isn't now what it was then. Jon established it as the type of show to treat these events with the gravity they demand. Perhaps Noah won't cover it today, but I imagine people are expecting him to.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I wonder if Trevor is still enough of an immigrant to hope that he'd get through a month or maybe just a week first to set his tone and establish himself with the fans before he has to talk about some rear end in a top hat blasting a bunch of people for no reason and the fact that probably nothing is going to happen.

Got to imagine with the rate of police murder of unarmed black men the past several years, he can't have been too hopeful.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Boon posted:

I agree with you. However, Bill Nye is a loving boss and https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...104317490,d.eXY

Whom did that "debate" benefit?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wish Trevor luck if he covers a mass shooting this early. I think he should, but wouldn't blame him if he doesn't.

Good way of summarizing this. I really hope he covers it, and I will be disappointed if he doesn't, but not in him so much as just in general.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Strange Quark posted:

The people watching it. It's a way of exposing science to a wider reach of people, even if guys like Ham aren't ever going to change their minds.

I'm asking honestly: Do you think people changed their minds watching the debate?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Charles Martel posted:

Hahaha a sweet potato latte

I love Roy Wood Jr. He has made me laugh the hardest of any correspondent. He was in this episode for all of ten seconds and it was hilarious.

Edit: No moment of Zen?!?

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 2, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

Last night's episode was great. The night before not so much. Klepper and Wood are good but that whole segment on anti-bias training didn't work I think. It just wen't on way to long and I thought we were past the "Let's be contrary and try to ironically piss off the person were interviewing" style of correspondent piece.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought the anti bias training was one of the funnier segments I've seen in a long time.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

It was okay, but I feel like correspondent segments live and die on whether they have any substance to go along with the jokes. I didn't feel like the bias training one had much of that.

It's interesting you say that. There are segments I enjoy because of the political/social messages being conveyed that I just can't really see the comedy in. This was kind of the reverse in that I thought it was hilarious, but I agree that it was lacking in that respect. And it probably could have been more. I wish they had exposed Bo Dietl as more of the racist blockhead that he is.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

zakharov posted:

That's an understatement, he's probably the leading thinker on racial justice (or lack thereof) in America today.

I had to read this comment several times as well as a few of the responses before I realized you were referring to Coates and not Roy Wood Jr.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Woden posted:

Has it been this good from the start or was it all over the place like The Nightly Show was?

Personally, I've been impressed since the day they started. Perhaps others do not share my same opinion. If you haven't seen it yet, I recommend watching the bias training piece. That's been my favorite segment so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QIWolLM9i8

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I mean, if you're demanding justice and are being categorically denied it, why take murder and mayhem off the table?

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, and I definitely don't think murder is okay, but mayhem is well within the realm of reasonable responses in my opinion.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

If you all haven't seen it, I thought the digital content about Chafee on Snapchat from TDS was actually pretty funny. Thanks, Baratunde!

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Tomero_the_Great posted:

In negotiations you should always start by aiming high and then compromise from there.

Eg. Trade murder down to manslaughter in exchange for relaxed voter ID laws.

That's giving away too much for too little. Be sensible, man! :v:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

VagueRant posted:

Genuinely sad that they went with the whole "but Bernie doesn't have a shot, we're all voting for Hilary" thing though. Even if it was a punchline, it just seems like more of that notion being hammered into the American public's brains :smith:

I agree completely. :smithcloud:

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm hoping they'll unpack the contrast between Bernie and Hillary with economics some time in the next few episodes. I understand why they went with the "old man yelling" route for Bernie.

When it came to BLM, Larry went for mocking Webb's "All lives matter, but I once helped a black guy" answer. (Bernie actually had the best answer for that Tuesday. And O'Malley has the worst police record by far.)

Here's hoping. I was also super disappointed that Anderson Cooper didn't make HRC answer that question. What the hell? She's the one on stage I know as someone who said "All lives matter." Cooper really dropped the ball on that one.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

pentyne posted:

Trevor Noah's unfamiliarity with "common" American history/culture will never stop being hilarious.

"That was the most brutal shooting down of a man with the name Lincoln that I-oh wait nevermind"

My personal favorite was the incorporation of jail into a board game. Much more bizarre now that Trevor has pointed it out to me. Also I'm not sure what your comment has to do with what you're quoting me on. :confused:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

pentyne posted:

Lincoln Chafee? I didn't understand anything else in what I quoted but I assumed it was about the bit.

Sorry, I kinda forgot what I was talking about in the first place. The Snapchat thing was about Chafee, but it didn't really have anything to do with any of the jokes Trevor did. It featured one of the writers (I assume).

On an unrelated note, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I thought his interview with Hiddleston was his best so far. I'm not usually interested in most of the interviews to any great extent, even when Jon was doing it, but I've been watching just to see how Trevor handles them more than anything else. From my perspective, he has consistently been pretty awkward about just starting interviews. He almost always says something like, "This is weird for me," or "This is it," or some odd other odd filler. I thought he did a little bit better with Hiddleston in that respect, and I thought the whole thing felt a little bit more natural than his interviews to this point.

I will make one caveat which is that the Ta-Nehisi Coates interview was my actual favorite interview so far, but I don't really count that because: 1. I already love Ta-Nehisi Coates and love to hear him speak in any interview, and 2. He's such an interesting person and good interviewee that I don't think it says much about Trevor one way or the other.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Really enjoyed the Fareed Zakaria interview. Trevor continues to improve as a conversationalist and interviewer. I think his biggest problem right now is that his head lives in two spaces during interviews: comedy land and serious mode. Whereas Jon's jokes during a serious interview always seemed to come out naturally, Trevor often strikes me as "making a joke," if that makes sense. I don't really mean that as a criticism, I think he has already made clear progress. Just trying to articulate something I've noticed.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Ha ha right like they would build these enormous grain containers but not even make them have significant storage. :downs:

What an interesting thing to think. :v:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I really enjoyed his piece last night. Definitely had me laughing. Which is good, because I didn't really think the whole play on his needing approval from his father was that funny. Just kind of unoriginal I guess.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I really liked Dan Price, and Trevor did a great job interviewing him. In fact I think this was my favorite interview so far both in terms of Trevor's skill as an interviewer and in terms of my interest in what the person had to say.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo Trevor is killing it. I loved the segment with Jordan Klepper.

Unrelated: Seems like every time I type in daily show on google to stream the show, I see another article from Salon hating on Trevor. What's the deal? Nothing else to write about?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

:smith:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Are you referring to Jon's appearance? I can't tell if you're sarcastically (or non-sarcastically) implying that Jon is the only thing that makes it work for you.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo TDS is KILLLLLING IT. What a loving excellent show. They are firing on all cylinders.

Also, that NASCAR cheese tasting bit was hilarious. I don't usually go for those types of silly asides no matter who makes them (John Oliver), but I actually laughed aloud on that.

Edit: I think this has been Trevor's best episode to date.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 9, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Madkal posted:

He is also excellent at accents.

You may know this but he speaks at least six languages.

Edit: Eight.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 10, 2015

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Agreed. I'm still on the fence about Ronny. I thought his segment about voting was great, but his two prior segments I was underwhelmed by. This one was in between.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Astro Nut posted:

Also a point I realised today - whilst its technically true that a GGWAG is probably the most effective response to an active shooter, the GGWAGs tend to be the police.

Yeah, there's where I thought Klepper was going with his segment at the end, actually.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, well put. My mother in law's ex husband specifically bought his first gun after one of these mass shootings in the past few years. But he doesn't hunt or even desire to carry it on his person as far as I can tell. He just wants it to have it I guess :psyduck:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Vader posted:

I heard the Zadroga bill got filibustered into failure. Everything is the worst.

Is that new more current than this?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/12/peter-king-zadroga-act-permanent-funding/

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Why are politics so god drat political :(

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Madkal posted:

I work in a college and this year we were given a brief seminar/workshop on what to do if there was an active shooter situation and it all seemed pretty bleak. Pretty much what the guy told us was that if we were outdoors when it is announced that there is an active shooter situation we must run away from the college as soon as possible and under no circumstances enter any building. If we are indoors during such a situation we must find a room and lock/barricade it as soon as possible. The room must remained locked and barricaded until emergency crews arrive and deliver an all clear. All this sounds logical and rational and such, but the downer part of it was that once you are in the room you must not open it up for anyone, even co-workers. It goes under the assumption that the shooter might pose as someone trying to hide to gain entry to a locked room. Again, all very practical but the idea that people are outside running for the lives trying to get into locked rooms where there might be just one person holed up in seems terrifying to me.

Oh yeah. No chance I would refuse to let someone in. Not saying this to sound high and mighty or to flatter myself. When I read about heroic people charging shooters and sacrificing themselves for others, I always think: I am not selfless enough to do that. But in the situation you described, I don't see how a person could possibly refuse entry to another.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just looking at it from a (my) realistic perspective.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Well, you have to think of it in terms of whether your good intentions will lead to the deaths of yourself and everyone else in the room.

I've never been in such a situation but I have to imagine that poo poo changes real quick when a person who wants to murder you for no particular reason gets thrown in the mix.

No doubt. Definitely something to plan for. I think my point is exactly what you said, though. I cannot really predict how I would react in that situation.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I know Bill Nye debated that creationist; so sometimes I wish Bill Nye or NDT directly challeng politicians to a debate on climate science.

But then I wonder if I really want to see those two guys get dragged out of their "science is awesome!" bubble and into the nasty world of mainstream politics. I don't doubt for a second that the right wing media would be willing to do everything to discredit them.

I don't understand why Nye debated Ken Ham tbh. I think debating someone like Cruz would be much more fruitful.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

coyo7e posted:

Hmm, Monday's show seemed to be super caffeinated or something. The segment with all four correspondents hollering over each other followed by holy poo poo is this guy animated and rapid-firing back and forth with trevor during the interview. I'm not quite sure what happened but i don't remember anything about the show except war on christmas and get people drunk on your late night show.

100% agreed. In fact, even reading your comment, it still took me a minute to remember what the second segment was.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

The show is firing on all cylinders. Klepper's bit was genius, I also liked the one-act play with Hasan and Roy Wood, Jr. Honestly, it's so hard for me to pick a favorite correspondent right now. Klepper, Minhaj, J Willy, and Roy Wood, Jr. are all killing it in my opinion. There have been so many excellent shows lately, I'm so excited things are going this well with Trevor at the helm. I did not expect this much this soon.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

FarmerHank posted:

I love Rhonnie Chang. Am I all alone?

I really liked his segment on voting machines. Other than that, he's just been okay in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Botnit posted:

and don't consider her the weakest, Jordan would be. He's basically doing a Jason Jones impression for most of his bits, kinda annoying.

Totally disagreed. Klepper is one of my favorites. His straight man routine is perfect. His segment with the Trump focus group was insane.

• Locked thread