Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Plot Summary (Courtesy of the official US site)
Binan is a city somewhere in Japan. The "Earth Defense Club" at Binan High School was a club that did absolutely nothing.

When club members Atsushi Kinugawa and En Yufuin were chilling out while soaking in the hot tub at the bathhouse Kurotamayu, a pink beast (Wombat) suddenly appeared out of thin air.

"I want to save this planet... can you please lend me your strength?"

The two feel the mood has been ruined by Wombat who talks to them in Japanese about how he wants to save The Earth with the power of love. Just then, the son of the bathhouse owner Yumoto Hakone shows up, and as soon as he sees Wombat, he chases it, screaming "Let me fluff you up!"

The next day, Kinugawa and Yufuin are caught by Wombat once again at school along with other club members Io Naruko and Ryo Zaou. Bracelets were clasped on the wrists of these four, along with Yumoto Hakone, who bumped into them after chasing Wombat, with a command that they must save The Earth.

"It's about love-making!" they hear as a bright light emanating from him the bracelet envelopes their entire bodies, and the five transform into "Battle Lovers," the heirs of the throne of love...

Why is this show so great?
It's directed by Shinji Takamatsu (Daily Lives of High School Boys, Gintama) and has his sense of humor in it.

Characters
Our Heroes
Yumoto Hakone: Kirameki Prince Battle Lover Scarlet
Voiced by Kazutomi Yamamoto

En Yufuin: Hirameki Prince Battle Lover Cerulean
Voiced by Yuichiro Umehara

Atsushi Kinugawa: Tsurameki Prince Battle Lover Epinard
Voiced by Kotaro Nishiyama

Io Naruko: Todoroki Prince Battle Lover Sulfur
Voiced by Yusuke Shirai

Ryu Zaou: Tokimeki Prince Battle Lover Vesta
Voiced by Toshiki Masuda

Wombat: Their Mascot.
Voiced by Mugihito

Their Antagonists
Kinshirou Kusatsu: Chevalier Orite
Voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya

Ibushi Arima: Chevalier Argent
Voiced by Jun Fukuyama

Akoya Gero: Chevalier Perlite
Voiced by Takuma Terashima

Zundar: The Evil Mascot
Voiced by Hiroki Yasumoto

Chikuwabu

Chikuwabu is a wheat-based Japanese food item that is frequently eaten as an ingredient in oden. Similar to the process used to make udon, dough is made by kneading flour with salt and water and it is them formed into a thick cylindrical shape with a hollow tube through its center and steamed. It is particularly popular as an ingredient in Tokyo, but it can generally be found across Japan in supermarkets and specialty stores. Chikuwabu is often confused with the fish-based chikuwa, as they are similar in shape and name and are both common ingredients in oden. However, unlike chikuwa, chikuwabu is rarely eaten on its own.

Chopsticks

Chopsticks are shaped pairs of equal length sticks that have been used as the traditional utensils of China, Vietnam, Korea and Japan for thousands of years. Chopsticks originated in ancient China and later spread to Vietnam, Korea and Japan. They can also be found in some areas of Tibet and Nepal that are close to Han Chinese populations. Chopsticks are smoothed and frequently tapered, and are commonly made of bamboo, plastic, wood, or stainless steel. They are less commonly made from porcelain, silver, ivory or jade. Chopsticks are held in the dominant hand, between the thumb and fingers, and used to pick up pieces of food.

Thoughts
This can either be hilarious if they play it for parody, or completely hilarious if they play it straight. Only time will tell.

How can I watch this?
Crunchyroll is simulcasting the show Tuesdays this season, starting on January 6th at 10:40 am PST.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This was everything I expected and more!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Updated the OP. Of the two shows I've watched so far, this is definitely AOTS.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Dibs on Scarlet. He's more hilarious on rewatch.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rodyle posted:

A moment's cursory reading reveals this is the same director as Daily Lives. That explains a lot.

Yeah, I need to edit that into the OP. What's his name?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Thanks. Edited it into the OP.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Found the official US site for this, and included the English page for Wombat and made pages for the Chevaliers and Zundar. Just in time for episode 2!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I loved the scene where Cerulean didn't want to go, and everyone was okay with it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Literally all we've seen him do is chop wood.

...and? He was still pretty great.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

AnacondaHL posted:

According to my calculations, the main anime characters were nude for 69.69% of their screen-time this episode. Get this smut off the air.

I only counted 69.420%, what was the .17% I missed?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This week's episode was pretty fun. Are the photography club a third faction, led by the Goldfish? I also liked the off-hand way they treated the MOTW.

Looking forward to next week. Sulfur is great so a Sulfur episode should be great.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This week was pretty great. Heavy focus on Pearl, Scarlet's brother gets a character trait, and the teams finally meet! I'm excited for next week's Summer Camp episode.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, it's a shame because I'm loving this show every week.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

dogsicle posted:

Might just be me but it seemed like SC President shot a glare specifically at En, possibly relating to En ruining his friendship?

According to the Bios I found from the official site, President hates Cerulean for taking Epinard from him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I toss my little pseudo-review posts out every week to just mention the stuff I liked. I kinda fell behind on editing the monsters into the OP, but nobody commented on it so I assumed nobody cared. Especially since Episode 3's monster was Love.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Oh, because I forgot to link it, the full OP and ED are out!

The OP is sung by the Battle Lovers, while the ED is sung by the Rulers of this Blue Earth, Caerula Adamas.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay the whole plot revolving around someone Io's toothbrush was loving fantastic.

That was so great. I figured who it was from the start but at the same time I wasn't 100%!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was torn between Scarlet and Cerulean for most of the episode because those two seemed most likely to do it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMx8RmPAdTU Here ya go!

This episode was fun, and a nice spin on the formula, getting the monster introduced early.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also, I took the only screencap we need from this episode:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
This show is great. I love the next episode previews by the Caerula Adamas. Conquesto!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Everything Burrito posted:

After the befriending Caerula Adamas will have to join forces with the Battle Lovers to defeat the true villains: the Press Society.

I figured this was where it was leading anyway.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I am 6 minutes in and Gora is the best character.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The next episode preview revealed that Zundar works for the fish. That's an interesting twist.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

AnacondaHL posted:

I never really noticed Aurite's makeup but seeing the transformation was fabulously glorious :allears:

I thought that was new for Dark Aurite

Also, obligatory level BEYOND Chevalier joke.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
More Better Anime of the Season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So now that this is over, who was the best Magical Boy?

Spoiler:

e: Also my thanks to Beef Waifu for changing the thread name for me!

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 3, 2015

• Locked thread