Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I want to take this windfall speculation in a different direction. Cash and lottery winnings are a little easy: if you owe taxes on the influx, you just give some of it up and move forward.

Suppose instead it's winning a house in a contest. Some assumptions:
1) The house is 5x your current house's worth or the price range of houses you'd be looking at if you were in the market. Or for argument's sake let's say it's 3-5x your net worth, whichever situation is more challenging.
2) the house is in your same area such that commute or access to leisure activities is not significantly affected. Its amenities accommodate your current lifestyle at least as well as your current residence in all significant ways (e.g. cooking space, storage space, yard space as they apply to you).
3) being a non-inheritance windfall, your tax burden is much higher than something you could normally pay out of pocket.
4) your name and likeness, etc. are highly promoted around town and on social media or whatever such that a significant portion of your circle know you won it. No easy out on claiming anonymously through a trust like some states allow for the lottery.

What do you do? Do you move into it, sell it for cash immediately, turn it into a high-end rental/vacation rental, party pad, take a home equity loan against it for the windfall tax burden? How do you manage upkeep and property taxes on it beyond that?

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I would use the publicity from the contest and attempt to sell it immediately. But I already have a really nice house, and I can't imagine what an expensive pain in the rear end it would be to upkeep one 5x more expensive.

41BottlesOf
Jun 4, 2011
I would humbly take a different route than all of you.

I don't make much money, but I would invest every penny of the $350k in both real estate and stock market. I have been an equities guy for a long time.

The $350k could be used to gain quite a bit of leverage for profitable real estate investments.

Once I achieve a net worth of $3 million and good passive income (which would be feasible by doing real estate and stocks as my stocks portfolio is doing 13% since inception) I would post on something awful forums a thread asking people what they would do with $350k. My favorite answer would win $350k.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

41BottlesOf posted:

(my stocks portfolio is doing 13% since inception)

How long ago was the inception

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Google says July 13, 2010.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What if it was 350k in dollar coins what would you do goons????

I'd put some of em in a sack and use that sack to crush my enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Golluk posted:

Google says July 13, 2010.

It looks like the S&P500 has nearly doubled in that time period. Have you outperformed the S&P over that timespan?

• Locked thread