Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Quarex posted:

That is indeed usually T.O.V.A., if not Collectibles/Crème de la Crème. There are usually a few up every year, though the most recent one I remember was a Gen-Con VII? advertisement poster that went to The Keeper, when he opened the bidding at $100 and that was that. Lots of miscellaneous programs/flyers/memorabilia from other conventions too, here and there, though.

Ok great, good to know. If he got that poster for $100 it was a steal. He has a ton of good Gen Con related stuff and takes pretty good care of it so that's good. Always nice to learn when that stuff goes to people who appreciate it and have good plans for the items when they are done with them other than just sell it to the highest bidder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
So I have a question about hotels. I went and reserved a room for my wife and I already. Should I not have done this? Do you get better deals through gencon?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

PuttyKnife posted:

So I have a question about hotels. I went and reserved a room for my wife and I already. Should I not have done this? Do you get better deals through gencon?

Hold on to the reservation you have now, but try and get something through the Gen Con hotel block in case you can find a closer hotel/better deal. The block rate is usually better, but the downside is you're trying to book in the sabe block as 40k other people (and this year it's an actual, no lottery for rooms).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PuttyKnife posted:

It's cheaper through gencon. Best example I can think of is the JW Marriott. According to the Marriott website it's 499$ a night whole though the housing program it's 218-223$.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is a lot of random chance every year, seemingly, as to whether you save a lot with the hotel block instead of booking directly. What it IS, however, is increasingly impossible every year to get a good room outside of the housing block. From the time the convention moved to Indianapolis, I booked rooms for the next year in September almost every year. Then, suddenly, in 2011, nearly every hotel was already booked by September. At the time we blamed the MotoGP event and its accompanying motorcycle enthusiast gathering being on the same weekend as Gen-Con, but given that last year they stopped overlapping and the hotels remained incredibly challenging to book early, I am going to guess the hotels just finally figured out to block off those rooms early so jerks like me could not beat the system.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Is anyone any good at anything

Er I mean, anyone skilled with E-DESIGN who could easily make some elegant/bold/simple/convoluted/invisible dividers for organizing the opening posts? I realize the first posts look pretty much like A Bad Mess as it stands.

Maybe "THE CONVENTION!" "THE EVENTS!" "THE TRAGIC HUMAN NEEDS FOR FOOD AND DRINK!" and "THE LOOT/THE WARRANT/CARMEN!"

Or basically anything that looks Gen-Con-like

Maybe I should just take the splash art from this year's webpage and cut it into strips and write words in an outlined font on it YEAH MAYBE YOU SHOULD SOLVE YOUR OWN PROBLEMS, QUAREX look If I knew what font the main Gen-Con logo was in, I probably could. Jerk. Hmm, 100+ questions into IdentiFont it finally gave me an interesting possibility...O.K., no, Adobe Caslon is not right, but it will do for me. For now.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Holy balls, there's a Gen Con thread already! In January! loving Yes! (Like I really need to start thinking about Gen Con now, because I don't have so many things going on between now and then... gently caress 'em, Gen Con!)

Already looking forward to another year of playing games and getting drunk with gooooooooooons. (Year one, it was... I don't even remember what our game of choice was, but I remember free beers for the trivia team name "I get that he's dressed like a douchebag, but why do they call it steampunk?" Last year, it was Avalon. All the Avalon, all the time (and all the Captain Morgan).)

Everyone, get your badges Friday, strap on your helmets and dildos on Saturday, and jump into the housing clusterfuck on Sunday! DO IT! It's like the game before the games. (Actually, don't do it. I want my sweet hotel rooms.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CellBlock posted:

Holy balls, there's a Gen Con thread already! In January! loving Yes! (Like I really need to start thinking about Gen Con now, because I don't have so many things going on between now and then... gently caress 'em, Gen Con!)

Already looking forward to another year of playing games and getting drunk with gooooooooooons. (Year one, it was... I don't even remember what our game of choice was, but I remember free beers for the trivia team name "I get that he's dressed like a douchebag, but why do they call it steampunk?" Last year, it was Avalon. All the Avalon, all the time (and all the Captain Morgan).)

Everyone, get your badges Friday, strap on your helmets and dildos on Saturday, and jump into the housing clusterfuck on Sunday! DO IT! It's like the game before the games. (Actually, don't do it. I want my sweet hotel rooms.)

The housing clusterfuck on Sunday is going to be orderly and done via random lottery so not much to jump into.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Really hoping it all goes well Sunday. I have a list of up to 12 hotels I want to try and get into just in case. I do wonder how much needing to be the badge purchaser to reserve a hotel in the block is going to help. In the past everyone got codes which they could of course just share with whoever they wanted. I don't know if it impacted things much but I am sure it didn't help.

Also, Len, if you didn't notice they already clarified they do not have current plans to raise badge prices next year or in the near future, so it looks like that mental block on $100 of gaming awesomeness admission is safe for at least a few more years.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Really hoping it all goes well Sunday. I have a list of up to 12 hotels I want to try and get into just in case. I do wonder how much needing to be the badge purchaser to reserve a hotel in the block is going to help. In the past everyone got codes which they could of course just share with whoever they wanted. I don't know if it impacted things much but I am sure it didn't help.

Also, Len, if you didn't notice they already clarified they do not have current plans to raise badge prices next year or in the near future, so it looks like that mental block on $100 of gaming awesomeness admission is safe for at least a few more years.

That's good. I don't know why Gencon for $100 seems crazy expensive but for some reason it does. That comes out to $25/day and I have more than that much fun. But something about it sits weird to me.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Don't worry, I know what you mean. When I was a kid and it was $40 for a 4 day badge even that much was blowing my mind. Granted, I was like 12 and anything more than $10 blew my mind but numbers do weird things to us sometimes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My friends and I are splitting a VIG and 3 companion badges si it'w going to work out to $250/badge for us.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8one6 posted:

My friends and I are splitting a VIG and 3 companion badges si it'w going to work out to $250/badge for us.

Yeah but that's a VIG badge. There's more to that than "can attend Gencon" like the regular badges.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh, here is a DOINGINDY.COM article about, well, Doing Gen-Con! Not much new information but I do love me some Gen-Con articles.

CellBlock posted:

I know you pretty much answered your own amazement as to why it existed in January, but if anything I probably should have started last year's thread before registration started, too. So between that being a good idea and THA G-C being in July for only the second time ever, it seemed like bringing out the thread with the new year made even more sense.

As to your other point about partying and fun times, I will try hard to not have a third grandmother die the day before Gen-Con starts, necessitating me leaving the convention early :smith: that is only partially a joke, last year it was my grandmother-in-law. I ran out of kinfolk-grandmas with Gen-Con 2009.

nesbit37 posted:

I do wonder how much needing to be the badge purchaser to reserve a hotel in the block is going to help. In the past everyone got codes which they could of course just share with whoever they wanted. I don't know if it impacted things much but I am sure it didn't help.
I am curious about this, too. Though it is a shame they did not put it in place in time to test the theory that the hotels started selling out faster because of MotoGP people camping the Gen-Con hotel queue. Though given that things sold out as quickly as ever last year, somehow I doubt that was making much of an impact.

Len posted:

That's good. I don't know why Gencon for $100 seems crazy expensive but for some reason it does. That comes out to $25/day and I have more than that much fun. But something about it sits weird to me.
Maybe the best thing they could do to help people who think $100 sounds expensive--not me, my wife is fond of saying that money has absolutely no meaning to me (and also that the only reason that is O.K. is because I only spend money on Gen-Con and Steam)--is to introduce something between V.I.G. and 4-Day. Well, besides the Educator Badge or whatever. Maybe a $150 (or double-normal-price or something) badge that acts as both a 4-day badge AND unlimited generic tickets (for you only obviously)? Then suddenly hundreds of people are buying that, and the idea that $200 is a reasonable price to pay for a badge is suddenly out there, so when the 4-day badge price finally goes up to ONLY $100 then there you go. Or perhaps a $250 badge that lets you touch Larry Elmore's beard.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would buy the poo poo out of a badge that gave me unlimited time in the free game hall (I forget the actual name). Instead of buying a ticket for a 12 hour block let me just go in whenever I feel like. That would be an amazing deal and it surprises me they haven't done something like that yet.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Len posted:

I would buy the poo poo out of a badge that gave me unlimited time in the free game hall (I forget the actual name). Instead of buying a ticket for a 12 hour block let me just go in whenever I feel like. That would be an amazing deal and it surprises me they haven't done something like that yet.

I think the game library is run semi-independently, so I don't know about the logistics of adding access to it to a badge. I do believe, though, that last year there was an option where you could pay up front for the entire con and get tickets for every time period (possibly even at a discount form buying them all separately).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Yay, new GenCon thread! Got my badge and made my buddy buy his own through his account (would've been easier if I could've bought it for him) to double our chances of getting a JW room for the third year in a row. Hope the Sunday room lottery goes smoothly, kinda nervous that we'll get hosed out of a room somehow.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Just bought my ticket. This is the first year I've tried to reserve a room on my own since I had friends who handled that for me. I'm hoping the lottery system works out well this year; it seems like it's a pretty reasonable thing to do actually. I'll be flying in so I pretty much have to be close-ish to the convention center.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Have ticket, will go to GenCon.
Here's hoping I get a good lottery number.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Normally I help boothsit for my artist friend, but she got rejected by the whole new jury thing the art show has going this year (slightly salty about that). Anyway, that means that I'm going as a normal attendee for the first time! I'll be commuting in from the Indy boondocks, so thankfully I don't have to wrestle with the hotel mess (just, you know, the driving and parking mess).

If anyone has any local questions I can help field them.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

Normally I help boothsit for my artist friend, but she got rejected by the whole new jury thing the art show has going this year (slightly salty about that). Anyway, that means that I'm going as a normal attendee for the first time! I'll be commuting in from the Indy boondocks, so thankfully I don't have to wrestle with the hotel mess (just, you know, the driving and parking mess).

If anyone has any local questions I can help field them.

Wait what is this? What criteria are they judging on I wonder?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Rhandhali posted:

Wait what is this? What criteria are they judging on I wonder?

Well, the application said they were looking for all sorts of art, but from what scuttlebutt I've been able to gather the jury has very heavily favored generic "fine" fantasy and sci-fi art. You know, the sort of stuff you might find on a MTG card.

I won't know for certain until I actually check out the show, but I would not be surprised if there was not a serious decline in diversity this year.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Great job on the first post(s) as always Quarex. I have one nit-bone to pick though:

St. Elmo's is loving awesome and my annual tradition of getting shitfaced on martinis, making dumb jokes about the free navy bean soup, and eating a fiery shrimp cocktail and slab of Midwestern beef is one of the high points of GenCon for me.

I guess if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have any good steak houses nearby, Ruth's Chris is fine. I have 3 or 4 Ruth's Chris' within 30 minutes of my house though and St Elmo's is a real treat for me.

Seriously, no less than Ron fuckin' Swanson swears by St. Elmo's.

That said, the box lunch that Ruth's Chris does for GenCon (on Saturday, I believe) is a good deal for good food and is worth signing up for if they do it again this year.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Speaking of slabs of midwestern beef, I endorse Fogo De Chao for the restaurant list. If you want to gorge on unlimited top-notch steak, other meaty gubbins, and badass salad bar, it's the place for you. It's right next to Scotty's, so not too bad of a walk.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Got my 4-day pass. :getin:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Lawen posted:

Great job on the first post(s) as always Quarex. I have one nit-bone to pick though:

St. Elmo's is loving awesome and my annual tradition of getting shitfaced on martinis, making dumb jokes about the free navy bean soup, and eating a fiery shrimp cocktail and slab of Midwestern beef is one of the high points of GenCon for me.

I guess if you live in the middle of nowhere and don't have any good steak houses nearby, Ruth's Chris is fine. I have 3 or 4 Ruth's Chris' within 30 minutes of my house though and St Elmo's is a real treat for me.

Seriously, no less than Ron fuckin' Swanson swears by St. Elmo's.

That said, the box lunch that Ruth's Chris does for GenCon (on Saturday, I believe) is a good deal for good food and is worth signing up for if they do it again this year.

The Ruth's Chris lunch on Friday is always worth it. The wait is not very long for how long the line can get.

As for Fogo De Chao, it's great if you want to stuff your face on some meat, but if you want a high quality steak St. Elmo's is the best.

edit: Also good luck to all of you on the room lottery, I hope it goes better than the mess it has been the last few years.

The Warthog
Mar 25, 2013

Did I just do your job for you?

Backno posted:

As for Fogo De Chao, it's great if you want to stuff your face on some meat, but if you want a high quality steak St. Elmo's is the best.

Quantity has a quality all its own. :eng101:

I highly recommend the parmesan crusted pork and leg of lamb at Fogo.

I was also introduced to Patachou last year, and I'm confident it's serves the best breakfast you can get in downtown Indy. Quality also has a quality all its own.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
If you guys want to get free Arc Dream games, you can run games for them at Gen Con: http://arcdream.com/home/2015/01/volunteer-with-arc-dream-at-gencon-2015/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lawen posted:

Yay, new GenCon thread!
And it is all your fault that we have a GroupMe, if I recall correctly.

Also the room lottery is going to be terrifying I am sure. Good luck to everyone!

As for ALL THIS:

Lawen posted:

Thanks brah :burger::respek::spooky: I will duly add your disappointment to that section. But yes, I do tend to live in places woefully lacking in quality meat-time. Or I sometimes in places where there are so many other interesting cuisines that I never think to just go get a steak. Certainly the shrimp cocktail and the UNBELIEVABLE WATER SERVICE(!) are both good enough that I think everyone should go at least once just to experience them.

I will also add the Fogo de Chao recommendation; I keep forgetting about it since I have never gone, and I always somehow end up at Texas de Brazil instead. Anyone been to both who can say how similar they are?

Haystack posted:

Well, the application said they were looking for all sorts of art, but from what scuttlebutt I've been able to gather the jury has very heavily favored generic "fine" fantasy and sci-fi art. You know, the sort of stuff you might find on a MTG card.

I won't know for certain until I actually check out the show, but I would not be surprised if there was not a serious decline in diversity this year.
As long as your friend is not the worrying lady who basically does stick-figure art and begs everyone passing by to come talk to her, I am disappointed to hear this. But it of course makes me wonder if somehow this new jury system is set up entirely to keep her from attending, and your friend became an accidental casualty.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
For everyone who is going to brave the hotel reg tomorrow (:suicide:), but may be unsure how it's going to work here's a video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiU_WE_6UPQ

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Double Agent posted:

For everyone who is going to brave the hotel reg tomorrow (:suicide:), but may be unsure how it's going to work here's a video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiU_WE_6UPQ

Here's a video of how it's really going to work for us all:
http://youtu.be/2YY0xw5r1ro

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm trying to go again this year (last year was my first!) but it all hinges on whether we can get a good downtown hotel again and my wife not murdering me for going 2 years in a row. I had an absolute blast and want to make it an every year pilgrimage, only this year we're flying instead of driving from NC to IN.

I learned a lot from last year- bring comfortable shoes, try to bring my own food to avoid spending so much money on eating, and that it's pretty pointless to bring my own games since last year all my group played was stuff we bought there. I'm also debating on using a technique someone told me for saving on luggage space- take older clothes I don't mind parting with and donate them to local homeless folks before I leave, use luggage to bring back loot. That or I'll do what a lot of the neckbeards I was stuck in close proximity with last year apparently did and not change clothes for 4 days.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
Awesome the Gen Con thread.

I'm going to go this year it looks like. If everyone here can't get a hotel we can all stay with Quarex, right? ARE THERE STAIRS IN YOUR HOUSE, QUAREX?

*ahem*

I went 2 years ago to Gen Con and despite being super sick through all of it I had a great time while infecting others! I hope to make it to the auction this year or whatever other silly things are going on. Last time I had to stay super far away so I hope I win a lottery to pay a bunch of money to avoid having to walk a few blocks.

For those of you debating I'd say don't do True Dungeon. I went last time I went to Gen Con and it was filled with a bunch of racist southerners as a group who apparently were TRUE DUNGEON PRO LEVEL. I just, uh, moved my puck while they did everything as I hung back listening to their racist, homophobic, and awful sounding accents. It was a big waste of time and money that I chose to do over seeing the auction. Let my sorrow be your gain.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
20 minutes!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, I got hosed. 1.5 hour queue.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I have to wait till 1:07. I hope some downtown stuff is left...

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
gently caress you and your early queue. 3 hours 17 minutes. :suicide:

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
2 hour 40 minute queue. Ah well, guess I can take the shuttle from an airport hotel wont be so bad.

err I mean "DEAR GENCON, YOU HAVE SCREWED ME AND I DEMAND YOU FIX THIS SITUATION!"

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

36 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Last year almost everything connected was sold out in about 30 minutes.

• Locked thread