Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Already excited for Gen Con 50 and terrified of the housing lottery.

Filling my non-Gen Con time with other cons. This year was crazy, I attended Gary Con, Game Hole Con, Dexcon, Origins, the Seelie Court and of course Gen Con. Will definitely be hitting at least Origins, Gary Con and Gen Con next year, will see what else I can get in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Already ready for GC2017.

This year was great, I met Vlaada Chvatil and he signed my space alert box.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

I say new thread. Just copy/paste the op and edit in some of Bottom Liner's 2016 pictures, change the dates, and link to this thread for archival reasons. I always feel like a new thread encourages people to check things out and post for the first 6 pages or whatever till it just looks like another megathread.
That sounds like a pretty solid strategy. I bet I can create a humdinger gobsmacked gimcrackery of a first post!

Fellis posted:

Congrats on your excuse for missing gencon!
Come at me, bro!

He is lucky that he was literally born during Gen-Con, because if he had been born like right after I would have been all "ughghgh I TOTALLY could have gone"

Lawen posted:

Happy to see a Dr Quarex, PhD, Esq post in the GenCon thread. Even if it's 4 months late. We missed your manic energetic posting this year. Glad to hear that you're alive and well and back in the mix for GenCon 2k17.
Manic is probably right. Though it does suggest there is a dark side where I stop being manic, whereas really my mania just shifts around to different targets.

Also I am listening to the UnderDiscussion Gen-Con 2016 Survival Guide right now. I hope I learn how to survive at Gen-Con 2016.

I still think the 3-2-1 rule is a bad rule. I mean, I suppose if you CAN survive on it then it is fine, but I have never met anyone who could sleep less than 4 hours a night and not end up falling asleep at the gaming table by Day Three. Though that does have its charms, I say, thinking back yet again to CaptainRat literally falling asleep while holding his die above the table waiting to roll in combat in our Villains & Vigilantes game.

Also I do suppose I support the "2" part more or less, as stuffing yourself silly for breakfast helps you basically skip lunch since that is PRIME CONVENTION TIME and you are better off eating a granola bar or five instead of spending a precious Exhibit Hall hour on a formal meal.

I do want to eat at Harry & Izzy's daily next year though, as that was an accidental tradition I created for myself in 2015. Making up for lost time for all those years I never knew about it.

nesbit37 posted:

Already excited for Gen Con 50 and terrified of the housing lottery. Filling my non-Gen Con time with other cons. This year was crazy, I attended Gary Con, Game Hole Con, Dexcon, Origins, the Seelie Court and of course Gen Con. Will definitely be hitting at least Origins, Gary Con and Gen Con next year, will see what else I can get in there.
Heck yes. I dream of attending more conventions every year than the year before, but uh, yeah, I went to like 6 in 2014 and then 1 in 2015 and 2016 each so that did not go so well. Gary Con really is great. I also recommend going to off-nerd-brand convention if you get the chance; I am not really the ComiCon or (especially not the) anime convention type, but Dallas ComiCon and A-Kon were both hilariously fun regardless.

Sloober posted:

Already ready for GC2017. This year was great, I met Vlaada Chvatil and he signed my space alert box.
Heck yes. And I cannot believe that is a man, it sounds like the hottest Eastern European baroness name ever :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm extra excited as well because I am working on a Gen Con research project which means its all Gen Con, all the time for the next year! We are currently digitizing the event listings from all the Gen Cons out of their programs. All the way back to 1968, and luckily I have all of the event info from the Indy cons in database form already. We are parsing out the events into spreadsheets and when done plan to do some data science stuff on them to learn what Gen Con tells us about how games have changed over time and then, assuming I can get permission from Gen Con, sharing the event stuff online so others can bask in the glory of looking up any event they want from the 50 years of Gen Con.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also I am listening to the UnderDiscussion Gen-Con 2016 Survival Guide right now. I hope I learn how to survive at Gen-Con 2016.

I still think the 3-2-1 rule is a bad rule. I mean, I suppose if you CAN survive on it then it is fine, but I have never met anyone who could sleep less than 4 hours a night and not end up falling asleep at the gaming table by Day Three. Though that does have its charms, I say, thinking back yet again to CaptainRat literally falling asleep while holding his die above the table waiting to roll in combat in our Villains & Vigilantes game.

Also I do suppose I support the "2" part more or less, as stuffing yourself silly for breakfast helps you basically skip lunch since that is PRIME CONVENTION TIME and you are better off eating a granola bar or five instead of spending a precious Exhibit Hall hour on a formal meal.

We always state the 3-2-1 rule is a minimum. This year I got 6 hours of sleep in every night.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

nesbit37 posted:

I'm extra excited as well because I am working on a Gen Con research project which means its all Gen Con, all the time for the next year! We are currently digitizing the event listings from all the Gen Cons out of their programs. All the way back to 1968, and luckily I have all of the event info from the Indy cons in database form already. We are parsing out the events into spreadsheets and when done plan to do some data science stuff on them to learn what Gen Con tells us about how games have changed over time and then, assuming I can get permission from Gen Con, sharing the event stuff online so others can bask in the glory of looking up any event they want from the 50 years of Gen Con.

I'd actually really like to see the results of this

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

We need to get more goons in our True Dungeon run next time.

Me, Fordan, and Fellis had a great time, even with randos.

Ask Fellis about my time as the Bard.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

His songs are legendary~

All aboard the GenCon50 Express Choo choo~

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Come at me, bro!

He is lucky that he was literally born during Gen-Con, because if he had been born like right after I would have been all "ughghgh I TOTALLY could have gone"

A good looking excuse, with a very fine helmet. Would you mind sharing where you got that comfy looking hat? I know a new uncle in need of a christmas gift.

Also it was kind of like carmen sandiego trying to figure out if you were alive or not from the cryptic snapchats to Mudcrab

quote:

This year was my first con and I found that stuffing myself with Haveli's indian buffet was cheap and delicious and took very little time in the middle of the day, in addition to holding me over till drinks at High Velocity easily.

Deviant posted:

Ask Deviant how we spent 20 minutes assuming we were going to get mugged for a super-rare pull i got from True Dungeon, but then actually just got like three rounds of drinks bought for us by some cool nerds

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Fried chicken chat: The Eagle on Massachusetts Ave is the best friend chicken in Indy. It rivals that famous place I went to in the Tremé.

That is all.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

djfooboo posted:

Fried chicken chat: The Eagle on Massachusetts Ave is the best friend chicken in Indy. It rivals that famous place I went to in the Tremé.

That is all.

I have heard this same opinion from multiple sources. I need to try it for myself at some point.

Also a 146 room hotel is getting built that should open in 2018. While not useful for the 50th, should help a bit in the future

http://www.wthr.com/article/new-marriott-hotel-to-be-built-across-from-lucas-oil-stadium

Backno fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 2, 2016

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

nesbit37 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a cool project. When do you expect to be done?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

clockworkjoe posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a cool project. When do you expect to be done?

Not for a while, summer, close to August is the target date to have a site up and public.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A bunch of friends and I are going to Gen Con 50 for my bachelor party. This'll be my third overall Gen Con, but my first time going with more than just one person. Can't wait!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

A good looking excuse, with a very fine helmet. Would you mind sharing where you got that comfy looking hat? I know a new uncle in need of a christmas gift.
I wish I could tell you more beyond "my friend Ogre found it on Etsy." Though that information alone is somewhat useful, in that it tells you that it was on the Etsy page of someone who someone named Ogre would be looking at.

It is a pretty fantastic hat though, I believe a good 10% of all people who see him in it feel compelled to announce what an amazing hat it is (which, again, it is) and how cute he is (also true). I like the people who then follow up by demanding to know if he is Scandinavian, just checking if he has, like, the right to wear an ahistorical Viking felt helmet (he is 25% Swedish by our genetics math, incidentally, so that totally counts)

Fellis posted:

Also it was kind of like carmen sandiego trying to figure out if you were alive or not from the cryptic snapchats to Mudcrab
I am glad I could at least evolve my absence into a great mystery. I did hold out the 5% hope until like the week before that I could still go, so I never wanted to give a definitive answer--but neither did I want to get hyped up, obviously, so I just e-died as a fresh alternative.

Fellis posted:

This year was my first con and I found that stuffing myself with Haveli's indian buffet was cheap and delicious and took very little time in the middle of the day, in addition to holding me over till drinks at High Velocity easily.
I am proud of you for surviving your first convention, but I am still a little surprised by the praise for Haveli's. I probably just got the wrong dish. Plus if I recall correctly I was triple-booked for dinner the night I went there so I seem to recall stuffing saag something in my face for 15 minutes, putting a $20 on the table, and running off to stare at someone in a corset.

nesbit37 posted:

Not for a while, summer, close to August is the target date to have a site up and public.
This really does sound like the coolest project. And on one hand it makes me lament throwing out my old Gen-Con programs, but on the other there is a zero percent chance you would need any that recent anyway.

Is The Keeper involved in this?! I suspect he has programs from all of them or nearly so (I seem to recall you know him fairly well so you clearly know this).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

This really does sound like the coolest project. And on one hand it makes me lament throwing out my old Gen-Con programs, but on the other there is a zero percent chance you would need any that recent anyway.

Is The Keeper involved in this?! I suspect he has programs from all of them or nearly so (I seem to recall you know him fairly well so you clearly know this).

Yup, the Keeper in involved. He doesn't have as many as you would think though. Was a big help for the 1980s though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Yup, the Keeper in involved. He doesn't have as many as you would think though. Was a big help for the 1980s though.
Oh, so you then had to pull out the big guns and ask Frank Mentzer and Tim Kask! Granted I feel like the last time I saw you you were hanging out on a panel with Tim Kask so that was probably pretty simple. Or maybe the old-timers do not collect Gen-Con paraphernalia as much as I assume they do.

My oldest real-life gaming buddy only started going in ~1984 or else I would start knocking on doors and demanding a nerdy rummaging through everyone's attics.

What was the last one you got a hold of? I feel like it had to be in the 1970s, like people would have held on to their 1960s ones because they knew it was meaningful but then by the 1970s it was old hat already.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh, so you then had to pull out the big guns and ask Frank Mentzer and Tim Kask! Granted I feel like the last time I saw you you were hanging out on a panel with Tim Kask so that was probably pretty simple. Or maybe the old-timers do not collect Gen-Con paraphernalia as much as I assume they do.

My oldest real-life gaming buddy only started going in ~1984 or else I would start knocking on doors and demanding a nerdy rummaging through everyone's attics.

What was the last one you got a hold of? I feel like it had to be in the 1970s, like people would have held on to their 1960s ones because they knew it was meaningful but then by the 1970s it was old hat already.

Earliest one I have is 1968 (first Gen Con with all of 2 events)! The only years I am missing right now are 73, 74, 76 and 93. Most of the programs came from my collection, the collection of 2 others (including the Historian), and some stuff I was able to digitize when doing early RPG research at a guy's house who wishes to remain nameless. I've got a little help going to track down those missing programs so we'll see if they come up with them. I don't know how I am missing 1993 but if any goons here happen to have it and don't mind if I borrow it for a couple weeks...

As for what the old timers have, depends which one. Some of them, like Mentzer, kept everything. Most of the others have some treasures but didn't hang on to as much as you would think, or sold it over the years due to money troubles which is always sad.

Fake edit: 1967 was what is known as Gen Con 0 which was just some dudes hanging out at Gary Gygax's house so some people don't believe it really counts since that happened all the time.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 7, 2016

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I had to miss this year due to being poor, but come hell or high water I'm going next year. The day I'll be flying back is the same day as a total eclipse over much of the US, should be interesting.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Pez posted:

I had to miss this year due to being poor, but come hell or high water I'm going next year. The day I'll be flying back is the same day as a total eclipse over much of the US, should be interesting.

Hey be nicer to yourself, you are not large enough to block out the sun over continental US.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Sloober posted:

Hey be nicer to yourself, you are not large enough to block out the sun over continental US.

#goonsized

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh hey, BRUNO MARS is playing Indianapolis the weekend before (on my birthday!!!) so everyone be sure to get there early for BRUNOMARSCON and then we can spend all day gaming Monday-Wednesday.

On a more deadly serious note, does anyone have an easily-flipped-through IMGur Album/FlickR Dump/Photobucket Offal/Waffleimages Accident of photos from this past year? I...I am ready to acknowledge that Gen-Con 2016 occurred, rather than that it was cancelled on account of me not being able to go, so I am curious to see if there are any new vital new photos to add to the forthcoming new thread.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh hey, BRUNO MARS is playing Indianapolis the weekend before (on my birthday!!!) so everyone be sure to get there early for BRUNOMARSCON and then we can spend all day gaming Monday-Wednesday.

On a more deadly serious note, does anyone have an easily-flipped-through IMGur Album/FlickR Dump/Photobucket Offal/Waffleimages Accident of photos from this past year? I...I am ready to acknowledge that Gen-Con 2016 occurred, rather than that it was cancelled on account of me not being able to go, so I am curious to see if there are any new vital new photos to add to the forthcoming new thread.

And then Bottom Liner appeared...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gen Con... Gen Con never changes...

From the 192 catalog:

GLAND SLAVES by EVPA-------------------
Gland Slaves 200025
Type: 1 Rd Exp: N Cost: $2.00
The game of adventurous “singles,” trapped in the city. Navigate your way past assorted obstacles as you search for a lifetime mate. Lots of laughs! Open to all. EVPA/GM Location: J18, Juneau Hall

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Gen Con... Gen Con never changes...

From the 192 catalog:

GLAND SLAVES by EVPA-------------------
Gland Slaves 200025
Type: 1 Rd Exp: N Cost: $2.00
The game of adventurous “singles,” trapped in the city. Navigate your way past assorted obstacles as you search for a lifetime mate. Lots of laughs! Open to all. EVPA/GM Location: J18, Juneau Hall
Without knowing about this post, I suddenly decided to scan a few things from the old programs I kept and post them in the starter post for this year. I think at least a couple of the scans can compete with this.

Oh yeah, I should write up that post now that I am on the Forums for the first time in a month.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is what happens when I don't check this thread in forever, I miss stuff like this. Congrats on the tiny human and his tiny hat!

Me and the husband are planning to come back to GenCon this year barring some sort of horrible disaster.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Gencon 50 y'all

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Badge registration opened yesterday! Be sure to buy one BEFORE the hotel lottery on Feb 12th at noon.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Badges Acquired~

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I got my badge as well, looking forward to seeing you all there

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Badges got, got. Ugh we had the Skywalk last year, don't know if I can live like a Pleb if we don't get it again.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Badge get!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Badges and hotel rooms acquired.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
You one of those VIG?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Indeed.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
When does that come up again? I've never seen the option.

I know you get first shot at renewal each year if you had it in a prior year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Texibus posted:

When does that come up again? I've never seen the option.

I know you get first shot at renewal each year if you had it in a prior year.

For the last two years you've had to email the VIG coordinator to let them know you're interested. They randomly choose the new VIGs (I honestly think they roll dice) and they can buy a VIG badge when it opens up. If the previous year's VIGs don't renew then the runner's up get notified.

I lucked out because I got into the VIG the second year it was offered. My friends and I split the cost of the VIG and companion badges combined.

This year the VIG program isn't quite as good because they've limited each VIG to one companion and the companion's don't get the early entry like in years past. They claim it's so all the VIGs get at least one Companion pass, but the assumption is it's because the early entry got out of hand when Gen Con added the media badges (which include pretty much anyone who requests one) and the Trade Day badges.

Still, the $550 is worth guaranteeing we get our hotel of choice.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

8one6 posted:

For the last two years you've had to email the VIG coordinator to let them know you're interested. They randomly choose the new VIGs (I honestly think they roll dice) and they can buy a VIG badge when it opens up. If the previous year's VIGs don't renew then the runner's up get notified.

I lucked out because I got into the VIG the second year it was offered. My friends and I split the cost of the VIG and companion badges combined.

This year the VIG program isn't quite as good because they've limited each VIG to one companion and the companion's don't get the early entry like in years past. They claim it's so all the VIGs get at least one Companion pass, but the assumption is it's because the early entry got out of hand when Gen Con added the media badges (which include pretty much anyone who requests one) and the Trade Day badges.

Still, the $550 is worth guaranteeing we get our hotel of choice.

And I'm a two-year loser in the VIG lottery. :smith:

One companion per VIG makes sense to me to allow in spouses/significant others. And I'm not just saying that because I want a bunch of VIGs to drop out and open up their space for me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

VIGs are simply the GenCon Bourgeois. Us normal genconers have nothing to lose but our rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I honestly just want the room perk. Getting into the vendor hall first just means I'd spend more money at Gencon, which I don't need to do.

• Locked thread