Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

That's so much farther away though ): Chicago? That's a nice city right?

Bring that money to Detroit IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

Bring that money to Detroit IMHO

Hot drat that would be nice

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The roads into Detroit would crumble under the weight of tens of thousands of nerds coming in, I don't think she could bear the strain.

But yes, please do, it'd cut my drive from 4 hours to about 1.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I hope they sell official Gencon Detroit bulletproof vests! :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, you've never been to Detroit.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'd love for it to come to Detroit, but it will go to Chicago or Cincinnati before that ever happens.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, you've never been to Detroit.

And I likely never will considering it's the top violent city in America for its population size

quote:

Detroit, Michigan

Murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate per 100,000 people: 45

Total murders and non-negligent manslaughters: 316

Violent crime rate per 100,000 people: 2,072

Total violent crimes: 14,504

Population: 699,889

All data from FBI's 2013 Uniform Crime Report.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pez posted:

And I likely never will considering it's the top violent city in America for its population size

Cool

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The biggest barrier for it to come to Detroit is it has about a fourth of the hotel rooms that Indy has. The regular con goers would hunt us VIGs in the streets for our ability to reserve rooms early.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 25, 2015

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

We're already considering doing that.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

The biggest barrier for it to come to Detroit is it has about a fourth of the hotel rooms that Indy has. The regular con goers would hunt us VIGs in the streets for our ability to reserve rooms early.

They could do an event where attendees pay top dollar to squat in a burned out high rise like a vagrant living in Shadowrun's Seattle Barrens. They can advertise it as a way to get around the showering policy.

Chicago is pretty bad in the crime department as well but has more hotels. :shrug: Why not Cleveland? It's pretty close to the East Coast and it has more downtown hotels.

8one6
May 20, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Chicago is pretty bad in the crime department as well but has more hotels. :shrug: Why not Cleveland? It's pretty close to the East Coast and it has more downtown hotels.

According to that site it more hotels than Indy but about half the convention space. This year they put every exhibitor who wasn't a $70k con sponsor in a lottery for dealer hall space. I have a few friends who got screwed out of a booth because of it. I can't imagine Gen Con would move somewhere with less exhibition space.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chicago would probably be the choice then.

My guess is that the bill is a way for the governor to claim he's a true conservative but he'll have the bill silently killed so he doesn't catch the blow back from it. Pence has been around for a while so it's not like he's one of the Tea Party newcomers who have no idea what they're doing and burn everything resembling a bridge to the ground. I could be wrong on this but a bill like that is even a big deal in the South and that's Middle Earth if Sauron had won in terms of politics most of the time. Seems like something used as a publicity stunt, not something that they really believed in.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 25, 2015

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I honestly think the whole Gencon threat is moot anyway, with the exponential growth over recent years it will outgrow Indy by 2020.

That said, I wish there was somewhere closer to my house to host it, the drive is bad enough already.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm rarely proud of nerds, but today you did good, Gen Con.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Indy is a really great place to host it, the convention center / hotel / mall / downtown-ness of it all is really great. Out here in Orange County I've been to the LA Convention Center and the Anaheim Convention Center and both of them would suck so badly for GenCon.

The thing that is really amazing for GenCon is the fact that they have this big convention center connected to literally hundreds of small meeting rooms where smaller events / RPGs can be held. Most convention centers that I've seen do not have that kind of layout, and most of them are in touristy areas where there isn't the bevy of cheap local food to be eaten. The fact that you can go a block and eat at a mall foodcourt for $5 or one of the cheaper restaurants for $10 in-between events without needing a taxi is great, plus you have a ton of legit awesome bars and high end restaurants for making a night of it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've only ever been to Indy for GenCon, and yeah, I can't imagine a better layout. More hotels, sure, but everything's just *right there*.

Living in Chicago, it'd be horrible here - McCormick, I guess, since C2E2 is the only thing that'd rival it for size, but C2E2 is only open for 7 hours a day, and McCormick is not close to anything.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I read a bunch of articles too. I liked it when they mentioned that the convention center was expanded specifically to fit Gen Con, but then they wrote something along the lines of "...but what they really want to do is lure the NRA convention back to Indy".

Still, pretty proud that Gen Con LLC is basically taking a stand and saying that any law that allows people to discriminate against con-goers is absolute bullshit. First, because it's the truth. Second, it's the right thing to take a stand against.

I would be interested to see if it migrated to the Cleve, though.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

8one6 posted:

This year they put every exhibitor who wasn't a $70k con sponsor in a lottery for dealer hall space. I have a few friends who got screwed out of a booth because of it. I can't imagine Gen Con would move somewhere with less exhibition space.

I.. what? This is not something that happened for recurring exhibitors that I know of. We have been going for years now, and didn't have to enter a lottery for our renewal. No convention I've exhibited at does that. Many however do a lottery style registration for NEW exhibitors.. because everyone wants in, and there are only a few spaces to give them.

I really love what GenCon has done, standing up to this bill. My company does too, as we have several trans people in our ranks. It just gives me even more to say when people ask me why I think GenCon is so much better than any other convention!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LuiCypher posted:

I read a bunch of articles too. I liked it when they mentioned that the convention center was expanded specifically to fit Gen Con, but then they wrote something along the lines of "...but what they really want to do is lure the NRA convention back to Indy".

Still, pretty proud that Gen Con LLC is basically taking a stand and saying that any law that allows people to discriminate against con-goers is absolute bullshit. First, because it's the truth. Second, it's the right thing to take a stand against.

I would be interested to see if it migrated to the Cleve, though.

Cleveland would be nice because that's only an hour away from me. But then on the other hand not only would I still be in Ohio I would be in Cleveland.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Len posted:

Cleveland would be nice because that's only an hour away from me. But then on the other hand not only would I still be in Ohio I would be in Cleveland.

Hey man, I lived in Cleveland for four years! Honestly though, I can understand your enthusiasm. I have plenty of friends who feel the same way you do.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Cleveland though, as it is the city that I love to hate (because part of me does love it despite its obvious flaws).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Unsurprised and yet still stoked that of course this thread is basically in complete agreement that leaving Indianapolis if this bullshit stands is the right decision.

I try not to swear in text unless it is important, but gently caress Indiana if this actually goes down. I would have told you last week that literally nothing could get me to support moving Gen-Con elsewhere, but apparently I was not thinking about politics. SILLY ME

It would be pretty awesome if Indianapolis passed a "we no longer recognize state authority in these matters" bill, haha. I would say "not that they can do that" but this whole thing seems custom-built to violate the 14th Amendment anyway so I really do not think these bills are long for this world.

Ego Trip posted:

We're already considering doing that.
hahahahaha

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My guess is that the bill is a way for the governor to claim he's a true conservative but he'll have the bill silently killed so he doesn't catch the blow back from it. Pence has been around for a while so it's not like he's one of the Tea Party newcomers who have no idea what they're doing and burn everything resembling a bridge to the ground. I could be wrong on this but a bill like that is even a big deal in the South and that's Middle Earth if Sauron had won in terms of politics most of the time. Seems like something used as a publicity stunt, not something that they really believed in.
Yeah pretty much just this. It is not like Republicans are immune to context. You can already hear the difference in vitriol about gay rights (gay marriage too) between now and even when Obama's first term started. Alabama is undoubtedly going to cling to its "Worst Political Ideas" award for the 194th consecutive year. O.K. I do not actually think they hit the ground running in that department but you know what I mean.

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I really love what GenCon has done, standing up to this bill. My company does too, as we have several trans people in our ranks. It just gives me even more to say when people ask me why I think GenCon is so much better than any other convention!
Yep, the last day has been an amazing explosion of chances for me to be like "BEHOLD THE REASON I PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE TO GEN-CON"

GEN-CON 2016 NOW HAS A DUAL MEANING

And to think two days ago I was writing up a big exposé on what has happened on the official forums since last year in lieu of anything else going on in the thread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

And to think two days ago I was writing up a big exposé on what has happened on the official forums since last year in lieu of anything else going on in the thread.

Pubbie drama is always fun to read about. Anything fun?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Pubbie drama is always fun to read about. Anything fun?
I have my other post half-written on my laptop, it will see the light soon enough.

But! The conversations about where to move the convention are always amazing, given the level of arrogance involved when people post multiple-paragraph explanations of how moving Gen-Con to Las Vegas/New York/Vancouver/Los Angeles/whatever is "objectively" a better idea and it is only the arbitrary Midwest stubbornness that keeps Gen-Con from being in a "real" city. Strangely these people seem disinterested in the fact that Indianapolis, as I understand it, literally has the most "hotel rooms connected to a convention center" of any city in the USA. Not to mention it is one of the only big-time convention cities small enough to BECOME A GAMER WORLD for the time Gen-Con is in town.

But to be fair, a lot of the people posting these things are like independently wealthy West/East-Coast folks who are just like "yawn, you bore me with your 'gamer culture,' I am just trying to find the best boardgame tournaments to enter and am irritated that Indianapolis' airport sucks." I certainly hear it does suck. So there is that.

The most predictably new dramatic thing since last Gen-Con was (also unsurprisingly involving arbitrary arrogance) a post explaining how "anyone with business sense" could tell it would be a good idea to split the program guide into two books, one for the splashy pictures and text stuff at the front and one for the actual events at the back. The main reason this is dramatic is because there had already been I think three other threads earlier that year proposing the same thing, each ultimately stopped by one of the admins discussing how Gen-Con LLC had spent years trying to decide whether it made economic sense to split the program guide into two books only to decide it was an economic gamble they were not about to take when printing on a scale of, you know, now 60,000+ books at once.

The cutting rejoinder was that "ORIGINS DOES IT THIS WAY"

"So the convention legendary for being a second-rate knockoff does it this way, which is why we should do it that way? Got it."

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Deathlove posted:

I've only ever been to Indy for GenCon, and yeah, I can't imagine a better layout. More hotels, sure, but everything's just *right there*.

Living in Chicago, it'd be horrible here - McCormick, I guess, since C2E2 is the only thing that'd rival it for size, but C2E2 is only open for 7 hours a day, and McCormick is not close to anything.

Yeah, Chicago seems surprisingly ill-suited for conventions. I haven't been to a con in Rosemont in years, but the convention center there choked on cons that were 1/3 the size of GenCon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

I have my other post half-written on my laptop, it will see the light soon enough.

But! The conversations about where to move the convention are always amazing, given the level of arrogance involved when people post multiple-paragraph explanations of how moving Gen-Con to Las Vegas/New York/Vancouver/Los Angeles/whatever is "objectively" a better idea and it is only the arbitrary Midwest stubbornness that keeps Gen-Con from being in a "real" city. Strangely these people seem disinterested in the fact that Indianapolis, as I understand it, literally has the most "hotel rooms connected to a convention center" of any city in the USA. Not to mention it is one of the only big-time convention cities small enough to BECOME A GAMER WORLD for the time Gen-Con is in town.

But to be fair, a lot of the people posting these things are like independently wealthy West/East-Coast folks who are just like "yawn, you bore me with your 'gamer culture,' I am just trying to find the best boardgame tournaments to enter and am irritated that Indianapolis' airport sucks." I certainly hear it does suck. So there is that.

The most predictably new dramatic thing since last Gen-Con was (also unsurprisingly involving arbitrary arrogance) a post explaining how "anyone with business sense" could tell it would be a good idea to split the program guide into two books, one for the splashy pictures and text stuff at the front and one for the actual events at the back. The main reason this is dramatic is because there had already been I think three other threads earlier that year proposing the same thing, each ultimately stopped by one of the admins discussing how Gen-Con LLC had spent years trying to decide whether it made economic sense to split the program guide into two books only to decide it was an economic gamble they were not about to take when printing on a scale of, you know, now 60,000+ books at once.

The cutting rejoinder was that "ORIGINS DOES IT THIS WAY"

"So the convention legendary for being a second-rate knockoff does it this way, which is why we should do it that way? Got it."

Origins has done nothing but shrink since 2010. I know one guy who swears it's a better convention than Gencon because "It's more about the gaming and less about selling product" but we stopped down for a Saturday a couple years back and in the five hours we were there before we left there wasn't one Magic draft, or beginner friendly RPG, or anything else we were interested in starting. Whereas at Gencon there's a Magic game going every hour, that RPG hall I can't remember the name for, and doesn't let people sleep in the convention center.

Besides who actually uses the book instead of a smart phone/tablet? (Probably lots of people. But that's my preferred route. So :colbert:)

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I'd hate to see GenCon move, as it would mean more than a 10 minute drive for me, and I don't know that my fickle heart could bear it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Bill was signed today.

Welp. Already feeling guilty about going.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
My hotel room is nonrefundable. :/

All of us cis/straight men (and women) should pick an afternoon to put on frilly dresses and march through the streets around the convention center in solidarity with our queer gamer bros (and sisses).

saint gerald fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 26, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well, poo poo :/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's lovely but I'm not gonna cancel my Gencon plans for it. But if someone plans a protest I will gladly make a sign and go spend time with a bunch of angry gamers (gaymers? I know that badge ribbon exists) and yell at politicians.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
My favorite part is the news posts on my facebook feed with "gamers" represented by two dudes with xbox controllers.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I mean, it's a lovely law, but I'm not aware of anywhere in Indianapolis proper that would actually turn away customers during Gen Con. And if that means that Gen Con, LLC wants to move the site of the event to another city in 2021, then so be it. The state of Indiana has a little bit of time to get their poo poo together.

But yeah, there isn't another city with the convention infrastructure that Indianapolis has. The David L. Lawrence center in Pittsburgh has close the the amount of floor space that the ICC has, but they definitely don't have the pile of hotels that Indy has, especially all within a block or two.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
St Elmos Steakhouse came out against the law, so at least I have someplace to eat delicious steaks while I'm at Gen Con.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Isn't Indiana one of those states where being gay is a valid reason to fire someone? Or am I mixing up states and laws?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Len posted:

Isn't Indiana one of those states where being gay is a valid reason to fire someone? Or am I mixing up states and laws?

The problem is, even in the states where that's not ok, "Because I feel like it" is almost always a valid reason to terminate employment, so it's pretty easy to cover up actual discrimination.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Bucnasti posted:

St Elmos Steakhouse came out against the law, so at least I have someplace to eat delicious steaks while I'm at Gen Con.

Oh, thank god! This truly would have been the greatest loss.

EDIT: You are fast, sir. I read the letter of response, and it is truthful and concise. I'm sure there is a lot more they WANTED to say, but what was said fits. I will certainly use the channel of contact they have opened for this issue, for both good and bad.

Mudcrab Merchant fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 26, 2015

8one6
May 20, 2012

A new Letter from the CEO of Gen Con about SB101

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am excited that my guess about how long convention hosting negotiations take was, if anything, too conservative; I do not think we should take lightly the statement that they want to hear about our experiences. If poo poo goes down, I am pretty sure that plans to move will already be underway by next year.

That said, I still do not think the law will last the year. Maybe this is the part of Mike Pence's master plan we do not see, he feels it is win/win (except now his name will go down alongside George Wallace's in history; good job, bro)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Quarex posted:

That said, I still do not think the law will last the year. Maybe this is the part of Mike Pence's master plan we do not see, he feels it is win/win (except now his name will go down alongside George Wallace's in history; good job, bro)

That's what I expect, it will get challenged and overturned, by the time Gen Con has to make a decision the law will already be gone. The governor gets to pander to his base and the only people who actually lose out are the Indy taxpayers who have to cover the massive court costs, but of course that will be forgotten by the time he needs to run again. The exact same thing has played out in other states for other stupid issues over and over.

• Locked thread