Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
If you want to get a free badge and/or swag you can run games/events for publishers/companies attending Gen Con. I know the guys at Arc Dream (Delta Green, Wild Talents, Godlike, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Better Angels) http://arcdream.com/ so if you want to PM me, I can get you in touch with them. Generally, you get a free badge for running 3 games and 5 bucks of credit at the Arc Dream booth per player/ticket - for a 6 player game, you would get 30 bucks of credit. Other publishers have their own reward systems for volunteer GMs.

You can also get a free badge if you're reporting on the event for the media - podcasts and blogs count btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

nesbit37 posted:

No, you should totally do this every morning to gain maximum excitement. Actually, if anyone has any great podcasts, videos, blogs or articles on Gen Con's past they should totally post them in here so we can all get pumped up via nostalgia.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/tag/gencon/

http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/tag/gencon/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

If you guys want to get free Arc Dream games, you can run games for them at Gen Con: http://arcdream.com/home/2015/01/volunteer-with-arc-dream-at-gencon-2015/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Well, they're cutting back on rooms for exhibitors so I can't get a room through the exhibitor I work with (I don't have the exhibitor badge myself) so what are my options for getting a room within walking distance of the con center?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Wilty posted:

I do not know the timeline but i can still see plenty of rooms available downtown in the VIG housing block.

Can you reserve rooms for friends, like new friends you just met online who are super awesome? :wink:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Well, I lucked out - one of my friends who is going works at Expedia and through him we were able to get some rooms at the Alexander, which is near the con center. Had to pay up front but whatev. Anyone stay there before?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Bucnasti posted:

That's what I expect, it will get challenged and overturned, by the time Gen Con has to make a decision the law will already be gone. The governor gets to pander to his base and the only people who actually lose out are the Indy taxpayers who have to cover the massive court costs, but of course that will be forgotten by the time he needs to run again. The exact same thing has played out in other states for other stupid issues over and over.

I hope it's overturned, by after the SCOTUS Hobby Lobby decision, don't be so sure.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Ugh. I've already seen one gamer on Facebook who was disappointed by Gen Con for not immediately pulling out of Indy.

quote:

SHOOOOCKING.

GenCon's strongly worded letter ends up being worth less than the paper it was printed on.

I don't know what disgusts me more. GenCons pandering or everyone who bought into their bullshit.

quote:

The short version: This was all a calculated PR move for GenCon. Praising them for taking a stand was incredibly naive. In five years people will have forgotten about this and GenCon will be free to stay in Indy.

The disgusting part is GenCon's hollow threat to move. If the Governor had backed down they claim to be heroes. If he didn't, they support Indianapolis but not the legislation.

I have more respect for the Governor standing by his stance and not caving in to GenCon's attempted random demands. Which is sickening because his stance is bigoted and ignorant.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Deathlove posted:

True Dungeon 3.0.

Honestly they should host a giant gay gamer pride parade in the stadium. Just gay up the whole stadium. Months later, they'll be picking glitter and pink d20s out of the seats.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

There are actually some decent restaurants in downtown Indy, especially that Indian place like 10 blocks away from the con center. I had dinner there a few times with the Arc Dream crew and Kenneth Hite. Good food and good conversation.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

ErichZahn posted:

Yo this is a good deal for anyone who doesn't want their art stolen by Dark Enlightenment.

care to elaborate?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Arc Dream (Godlike, Delta Green, Monsters and Other Childish Things, Better Angels etc) has a bunch of events and games, some with tickets left: http://arcdream.com/home/2015/07/arc-dream-and-delta-green-at-gen-con-2015/

Also, my friend is running 3 games of Monsters and Other Childish Things with tickets left over: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2015.cgi/gm/Daniel_McDowell

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I just posted RPPR's Gen Con show: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/07/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-117-slouching-towards-gen-con-2015/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I heard extremely vague rumors about some drama at Gen Con, in connection with a walk out at the Ennies or something like that? Does anyone have any idea what happened?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Released the RPPR post Gen Con episode: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2015/08/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-118-limping-away-from-gen-con-2015/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I had a 1 hour 5 minute wait and downtown was gone by then.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Anyone else running events this year? I'm going to host some panel discussions - already submitted on one on using the crowdfunding site Patreon as a creator.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Are there any RPG bloggers or podcasters here going to Gen Con? I've been talking to Jeff Barber, designer of Blue Planet, and he recently decided to come to Gen Con to playtest and promote his upcoming RPG, Upwind. If you want contact info for Jeff so you can demo the game and/or interview him, PM me for the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

nesbit37 posted:

I'm extra excited as well because I am working on a Gen Con research project which means its all Gen Con, all the time for the next year! We are currently digitizing the event listings from all the Gen Cons out of their programs. All the way back to 1968, and luckily I have all of the event info from the Indy cons in database form already. We are parsing out the events into spreadsheets and when done plan to do some data science stuff on them to learn what Gen Con tells us about how games have changed over time and then, assuming I can get permission from Gen Con, sharing the event stuff online so others can bask in the glory of looking up any event they want from the 50 years of Gen Con.

Holy poo poo, that's a cool project. When do you expect to be done?

• Locked thread