Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Carteret posted:

I want to go to Gen Con. I didn't fully understand the hotel issue.

I have a car, and will most likely be driving from NC. How terrible is parking near the Con? I can actually walk around without dying, if that is important.

Parking isn't an issue if you can walk. There is an NFL stadium right next to the convention center with lots of cheap parking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
They are doing away with the manual wait list for a hotel this year. Supposed to all be automated on the website now. And we know how well that website worked. Also you can't book individual nights, gotta book a block of time including saturday.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Got my 4-day pass. :getin:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
gently caress you and your early queue. 3 hours 17 minutes. :suicide:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I had the advantage of 4 of us going this year. One guy got a 5-minute queue, his wife a 50-minute, and me and a buddy got 3+ hour queues. We were able to use theirs to book all our rooms downtown. Omni again this year.

As of right now the downtown stuff is almost gone. Everything by the airport and wherever is still plentiful.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It will automatically update your cart. Just wait it out now. You'll have 2 hours after things hit your cart to purchase.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Got my ticket to RPG1569557 - The Deadly Tower Of Devilish Doom.

:getin:

My group made out pretty well. Took about 3 hours of wish list refreshing, but we got the all-access event we wanted (4 of us going) and some painting and miniature stuff. Also a few hours of Artemis so we can pretend to fly the Enterprise.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
There are some cool indie games still available.

Here's a Dungeon World:
https://www.gencon.com/events/searc...p;commit=Search

There's a 3-session-long Urban Shadows game still open. That's Apoc World used for a WoD-style modern horror:
https://www.gencon.com/events/searc...p;commit=Search

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I've been checking http://gencon.eventdb.us/changeList.php for new events and refunded tickets, but there hasn't been a lot yet.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Gencon charges a flat rate for normal events, same as if you paid in generics. Anything you set over that is profit.

True dungeon has more overhead from renting a giant chunk of floor space.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Badge showed up in the mail today. Aww yeah. :toot:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Peas and Rice posted:

By the bye, the goon who ran the awesome Dungeon World game last year - are you doing that again this year? I'm gonna crash with a generic since I'm sure it's all full by now.

If you were in my minotaur game the last year or two, I'm not running it this year. At least not officially. I'm bringing the DW stuff just in case, but I've got a pretty full schedule this year.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'll be doing a DW game this year if you're interested in that, its full up now but bring a generic along! Its this one - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557.

It will mostly be me making fun out of AD&D

Ah yeah that's the game to crash. Because I'll be there too.

Also print out a Princess playbook if you want to see hilarity.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
You can park at the stadium for like $5.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Already hit up Scottys, good stuff

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I played pillars of eternity at the obsidian booth for a while. I'll probably buy it when I get home, so mission accomplished I guess.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TheHoosier posted:

I was interested in it, how did it play?

Like a modern baldurs gate. Pauseable combat, spell levels and what not. Looked pretty nice too on their laptops.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Trip report! I went with a group of 5, including 3 newbies to gencon.

Stayed at the Omni. It was great once again, their restaurant is the best and that apple-butter burger is insane. I ate like 5 of them this year.

Games I played included Battletech, miniature speed paint contests, Dungeon World (the game run by Nemesis Of Moles, and later at the hotel), Artemis, DrunkQuest, D&D5 and the BSG board game. Everything was great except the D&D. Their organization this year was pretty rough.

Lots of craziness this year.
-The convention center turned the lights out on us Friday night at exactly midnight - with hundreds of people still playing games. They came on again about 15 minutes later.

-We went to the Legendary Drunk-rear end Party. Basically lots of drinking games one night at a back room of the Ram. Worth every penny. Don't bother scheduling anything for the next morning.
-Watched bums fistfight at White Castle around 3am.
-Watched Ice Pirates while drinking Dragon's Milk at Scottys.
-Placed 3rd in speed painting! :toot:

My home group is pretty determined to setup Artemis on a big screen. Battletech has also been bought after some really well-run demos by Catalyst.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 4, 2015

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Link43130 posted:

Anyone have experience with the Omni? The guy in our group who got in fast enough said it was the only connected hotel left that had non king rooms

The Omni is awesome, I've stayed there the last few years and again this year.

Yes larpers will try to recruit you to do whatever. But there is an awesome bar and the weird con-goer stories from the bartender are hilarious. The basement clears out at night if you need gaming space, as does the second floor.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Their location last year was awful, way too loud to play something like d&d. So it's great news for current players. As for gaining new players, if hasbro/wotc cared about that they should show up to gencon.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Bought my flights this week, and now we've got events. It's almost gencon time again :haw:

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So are there any goon-run events we should add to the wishlist?

I've got a huge wishlist this year with lots of double-booked slots. Hopefully I get tickets to some of it. I mostly play d&d but my real must-attend event is the drunkass party at the Ram, that poo poo was awesome last year. Also I really want to try a game of Call of cthulu, sounds fun.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I got #4600 or so, as did 3 others from my group. But the last person got #400 and bought everything for everyone. Gencon success.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I went to the drunk rear end party last year and it was fun as poo poo. Going again this year. The ticket includes a few drinks and dinner at the Ram. Rest of the drinking is on you.

We have a group of 5. Most others there were with groups too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
This was the year I discovered Call of Cthulu. Played a demo then I immediately threw money at it. A Chaosium rep gave me a bunch of pregens and a free-rpg-day module so I could run it in the basement of the Omni for my group. They were creeped out, 5 stars.

Played a ton of other stuff as usual. Buying Star Trek:Ascendancy as soon as we get home, it was too big to carry back to the plane. The Artemis bridge simulator (star trek-style) was fun too. As a Battletech fan I was happy to demo their kickstarted game, it's coming along and was pretty fun.

• Locked thread