Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going this year :toot:

I went in 2013 but it was mostly to try and sell my board games to publishers, and I wasn't really with anyone so it was kind of a bust, this time I'm going with a bunch of friends, and I'm going entirely for fun. One of our group even got a good hotel room sorted. It's gonna be great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

What kind of stuff usually fills up quick for gencon anyway? I didnt really bother with it last time (because I wasn't really there to do events) so I dunno what I should be F5ing like a mental for.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of events, in the spirit of doing the exact opposite of what I did last time I went to GenCon, I'm going to run a single session of a Dungeon World game. I'm a pretty good GM and it should be fun and you're all invited as my new best friends

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You could always do what my friend does and sleep in your car every night! (do not do this)

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

But realtalk, get a hotel 20 minutes away and rent a car, it'll be pretty cheap and the parking, while not great, isn't the worst in the world in my experience.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's plenty of non family friendly stuff there, especially later in the evenings.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Well, poo poo :/

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Depending on your general body fitness you can go directly from a couch to 5K in a lot less time than 9 weeks. 100 days is plenty of time to get Con-Worthy

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Not sure how I missed the new thread but I'll be there this year too. :getin:

Any Goon-run events planned? I had a blast in the Dungeon World event last year, and if Bucnasti is going and wants to run Spirit of 77, I'd be all over that like nobody's funky business.

I'm running a dungeon world game on Wednesday (I think). Based vaguely on a tangent in the Murphys thread about an insane 3.5e wizard trying to figure out the rules of their world.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Sweet, I get in sometime on Wednesday anyway, so I'd definitely be up for it.

There is yeah, and you can always register events even after the deadline (IIRC the goon-run DW game last year was set up a couple of weeks after the general events opened). I think it's always more useful if you schedule in advance, so it' s in GenCon's scheduler.

I'd offer to run one myself but I'm not sure what my schedule's like yet.

I tell a lie, I was on my phone when I posted that. The event is actually on Friday at 11am!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Argh, at work right now, hope everything good doesn't vanish :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

saint gerald posted:

Also in. This sounds awesome and I have no idea how I managed to go two years without doing it.

edit: also, is there a goonrun Dungeon World game this year because I want a piece of that action

Yup! - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Out of my wishlist of 50+ games, 0 of them were left less than 30 mins after the queue opened :(

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, thats what I did last year and it worked out mostly ok. Still, I didn't expect it to be quite that bad.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Good news is you can keep refreshing your wishlist incase something frees up. And yeah, I plan on turning up to some of these with Generics and saying Pretty Please.

Anyone who didn't get into my game, feel free to show up. I set the limit pretty low and could squeeze in another one or two folks.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Len posted:

Things I would be willing to buy a goon a drink to play:

Call of Cthulhu
Atomic Robo or any FATE game
Shadowrun

I can provide anywhere from 2-4 people for the game if bodies would be a problem.

Depending on how my event sniping goes, I might run something FATE-y. I'll say something in here if I do.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ritorix posted:

Got my ticket to RPG1569557 - The Deadly Tower Of Devilish Doom.

:getin:

My group made out pretty well. Took about 3 hours of wish list refreshing, but we got the all-access event we wanted (4 of us going) and some painting and miniature stuff. Also a few hours of Artemis so we can pretend to fly the Enterprise.

Hey, thats me! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Got into a Numenera game!

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 17, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

head58 posted:

Also when you get there go to the Games on Demand room. They'll have a crapload of cool indie games that are, um, on demand. Here's what they're planning on offering. They won't be running all of that at every time slot but that's what they will have available.

Yooooooo
Thanks for this! Most of the games I missed out on are being played at On Demand, I know where I'll be hanging out!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Krosmaster is a cool game and I might buy it at gencon just to have a reason to use my cool goonmini.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Oh, good.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Steam Noir: Revolution
Revolver 1
Revolver 2
Lagoon: Land of Druids (KS edition)
Fresco: Big Box (with KS board)
Seasons w/ both expansion and promo cards (air elemental, orb of ragfeld)
San Juan 2nd edition
Power Grid
Power Grid Deluxe: North America/Europe
Temporum
Ladies and Gentlemen
City of Horror
Hanabi
Forbidden Island (with bonus deck of extra island layouts and roles printed at Artscow)
Coup KS Edition
Ticket to ride map packs: Asia and India/Switzerland
Tragedy Looper
Black Fleet
Quantum
Lewis & Clark
Sherrif of Nottingham (with all promos except preorder one)
Lords of Waterdeep
7 Wonders
Dungeon Twister: the card game

I'd take city of horror off of your hands, pm me

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

There's a "free play" area where you can just check out board games and play to your heart's content. Grab generic tickets and show up at events that sound interesting; chances are, you'll still get to play.

By the bye, the goon who ran the awesome Dungeon World game last year - are you doing that again this year? I'm gonna crash with a generic since I'm sure it's all full by now.

I'll be doing a DW game this year if you're interested in that, its full up now but bring a generic along! Its this one - https://www.gencon.com/events/69557.

It will mostly be me making fun out of AD&D

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Any requests for custom character sheets, while I'm here? I usually do random assignments but if you want a certain sheet in the mix, let me know.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Peas and Rice posted:

Poop, I just realized that's when the only Delta Green game I could get into is running.

I'm up for a pickup game of DW if we organize one on GroupMe. I have a couple of friends (one goon, one non but cool) who'd love to play too.

Hit me up on GroupMe and we'll see. I love DW and its the only game I love to run as much as play.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

8one6 posted:

It's likely to get busier throughout the evening, but it shouldn't be terrible until 7ish tomorrow morning.

The year before last, I rolled up at about 5PM and the line for will-call literally ran the entire convention hall. The line in the morning was about 15 minutes long.

How long is will call open today? All night?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Guess who's getting their badge at stupid-o-clock tonight!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Big shout out to whoever recommended Haveli. $8 for all the tasty good Indian food I can eat. Plus no lines or (many) awful smelling nerds. 10/10 better than RAM

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Car crew 2015 roll call

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Double Agent posted:

Made it home. The last 40 miles were terrible because of a massive thunderstorm, but I managed not to die. I think the power steering had a stroke at some point during the con because it was hard as hell to turn the wheel sometimes.

I'm only 4 hours away! :suicide:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I had 3 2200mAh batteries with me for my S5. I was using my phone from around 8am until 2am or so and 1 of the batteries kept my phone above 50% the entire day. I'd definitely recommend one.

EDIT: Also frowning, I recommend frowning a lot.

Shaudefrawning?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Double Agent posted:

I think this should be your theme song for the con

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinLQG2VSR4

I'm mostly glad I took enough days off work that I can spend all day driving and just sleep all day tomorrow

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Quick after action from me!

Wednesday There is only the road. Driving is all there is. Give yourself unto the road.

Thursday Boom, right into my first game of the week. I endevoured to play as many RPGs as physically possible this year. This was kinda the worst one I was in. The GM had no idea what he was doing, the scenario was kinda trash and the system was poorly explained. My co-players was also very lame. Followed this up by a walk around the convention hall, and then swung by to meet up with the rest of my group for an hour before dropping into a Monsterhearts game. That was kiiiiiinda cool and kiiiiiinda lame, in equal measures. We spent most of the time just genning up a world in someones naff homebrew Apoc world system/setting while the GM gushed over pretty basic narrativist stuff (Whoa bonds?!). The evening I spent wandering Indy and then went for shakes at the Steak and Shake near my hotel, not the poo poo and steak near the con.

Friday I ran my first game at a con! It was a smash, according to the people in it (Some goons here can attest or reject this!) but I had a great time running it, and I'm strongly considering getting my ticket comped next year by running games. One guy, not a goon, told me they had the most fun they'd ever had at a convention at my game which was kinda mindblowing. Following this I spent most of my time in the expo hall, buying poo poo. Echoing most of the thoughts RE:Crowds and how insane Chessex is. I did discover the Dings and Dents section of CSI, which was neat, It was usually only $5 off amazon, but that's enough to justify a purchase as far as I'm concerned. Wandered Artists Alley and found it kinda wanting this year. Ended my evening with a Fiasco game with goons! Which was Rad! I've always wanted to play that and I had a great time, thanks to everyone there.

Saturday Saturday I went a bit mental and spent literally all day in RPGs, besides a quick jaunt around the con hall and in the Auction hall. Games On Demand is a great way to get into games, even if those games are of varying quality. Played a Fragged Empire game with my wife and an ubernerd who spent the entire game telling her her various options during play despite her instances that she knew that she could, infact, carry a gun in the game. I basically sat in On Demand pickup games all day, ending with a fantastic game of 5th Ed that went sound right at the end when the party went all 'lolevil' but it was 2am at that point so I get it I guess. There was another ubernerd here who kept hitting on the other woman I was with and that made things kinda awkward. She was fine but still. Nerds man.

Sunday There is only the road. The unforgiving, endless road.

Quick things:
GroupMe will make you look like a God to your friends. Games of RPGs they've always wanted to play, incredible food, endless games into the night, special deals and the locations and times of everything at your fingertips. At one point I asked people where a certain booth was, without knowing the game, and 4 or 5 goons were suddenly searching for it with me.

Eat well while you're there. My one secret location (that is 30 mins away and you should cab to) is the Old Pointe Tavern. Get the Nachos. They give you enough to feed an army and they are so so so tasty.

Ego Trip posted:

Fiasco goons represent.

Holla, get dat stroke weed son

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah I had that with one of the players in a game I was in, they must have had halitosis or something, it was foul.

And of course, poo poo and Shake

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'm strongly considering running games to cover my ticket next time. Anyone done that? Seems like I could pretty easily knock out 75 player hours with a couple 5 people games.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You people are weak. Gencon4lyf Car Crew 2016.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah get in the groupme. Me having groupme last year made me seem like some kind of God, summoning games at the drop of a hat, finding incredible places to eat, getting great deals on games and so on.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Ah, these salad days of badge purchasing before we all turn on each other during the room lottery (which will, as always, have a backdoor that will cause problems). GenCon!

I'LL KILL YOU YOU SON OF A BITCH

edit; for your room obv

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 23, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

As someone who has never actually won the housing Thunderdome, what kinda rooms can you get through it? Prices, locations, etc?

And uh, how strictly do they enforce that 1-2 people per badge thing?

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 23, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

4, which I'd imagine should be ok, I had a single suite with 6 people squeezed in last year so this year I'll be in the lap of relative luxury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

the best my group of 6 got was 1 hour and 20 mins. Guess we're sleeping in our cars!

• Locked thread