Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've always wanted to go to Gen Con. My brother and I already go to a few comic conventions here in Chicago, so I think I can get him interested in going to this. We already make an annual trip down to Indianapolis for the Indy 500, and we camp out next to the Lucas Oil Speedway on the night before. That's always been a good accommodation that's inexpensive as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

A question to people who have attended GenCon before. My brother wants to know if there will be Star Wars toys and/or Vintage video games. I know that's not the conventions focus per say, but the venue seems big enough to have something for everyone.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sigma-X posted:

The typical merchants are either publishers that are hawking their products, and a handful of prominent card stores selling Magic the Gathering and sometimes YuGiOh and other games. This is supplemented by a number of nerd and LARP 'fashion' vendors, so you'll have someone hawking leather corsets and a dude that sells a ton of 5XL T-Shirts with the word Epic on it.

He'd do better off looking for a collectibles show. Outside of supporting games that are collectible there aren't people just selling general collectibles.

Okay,

He said he'll come along because he's dragged me to plenty of things that barely interested me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can you guys recommend a good hotel to stay at that's not too pricey?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How has parking been at previous GenCons? I looked up some prices, and it appears to be between 20-28 full day around the convention center. Does it fill up quickly?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really enjoyed my first GenCon. I'm planning on doing the whole 4 days next year.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Someone have a link? I did one day this year and want to do the whole shebang next year.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

nesbit37 posted:

A link to what? The Gen Con website?

gencon.com

I meant the Hotel lottery you were talking about.

EDIT: Nvm, read the whole thing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm planning on doing the whole 4 days this year. :getin:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

35 minutes.

Is..is that good?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I think that was the way to go, instead of bulk-buying badges. OBVIOUSLY THEY SHOULD HAVE RESPECTED MY MASS BADGE PURCHASE TO PUSH ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE, I AM A VERY IMPORTANT GENCON PERSON

surprised to see Rob Daviau posting about the hotel scrum, tho, you'd think he could get a room.

Crowne Plaza :smug:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got a 1-King at Crowne Plaza.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fellis posted:

Someone in groupme said events were getting published tomorrow? When is the pre-reg?

Are we going to coordinate group selection here or in another place?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm also going solo, and want to have a group of goons to hang with.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And here we go.
EDIT: Number 2489 in line, :suicide:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Exmond posted:

457 new events were posted.. More oblivaeon demos!

So, how do I drop events to get into a new one?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

fordan posted:

Go to "My Transactions" under your account, choose "Return Tickets"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Groupme was recommended for connecting to goons at Gencon, but how do I set it up?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

fordan posted:

Or click that link which is a lot more efficient a process.

Okay, all set up!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I've gotten so many messages about this, but yeah, gently caress it, I can do that.

It'll have to be either late on Thursday or late on Saturday. Its a 3 hour~ game. Lets say Saturday at 10PM start. If you're interested, PM me or post in here, first 5(ish) people.

edit: if you promise to buy me food i'll let you in the group regardless of how many people are already signed up. i am easily bribable.

Double Edit
GroupMe person (Ego trip?)
Fellis
mkultra419
Maigius

If there's room for one more, then I'd like in.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

So, for somebody having to manage this all at the last minute (or, well, month), I thought I'd drop a line and see if anybody has any spare room. Camoseven and Len can vouch for me being decent and clean and not overtly goony (hopefully, just goony enough), I can sleep on the floor if necessary, and I'd be willing to pay whatever my share would be of any hotel fees up front.

If anybody can help out, I'd really appreciate it. Just let me know as soon as possible so I can start prep once I have certainty, been dealing with HR dragging their feet on my request until I got somebody to cover for me myself recently.

check your PM

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got a place to set down for GenCon, thanks to everybody that offered! Hope to see you all there. :)

If you haven't done so already, get the groupme app and join the Gengoon group

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Check your PM, Alien Rope Burn.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Woah, just got this in the mail:

Gen Con Event Cancellations: SEM1688044, SEM1688072, SEM1688053, posted:

Hello,

We regret to inform you that these three seminars have been cancelled, due to the death of the Event Organizer. As these are free seminar tickets, there is no need to return them. Thank you.

Marian
Is this anyone we know?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Junkie Disease posted:

Put this in the OP and keep it a loving SECRET outside this thread.
http://www.haveliindiancuisineindy.com/cpsiteframepage.lasso?-token.lpuserref=123580.113129
This place is like 2 blocks from the epicenter of the con and is loving great Indian food.
We passed a piece of poo poo Stake and Shake that had a line 20 deep outside and were seated and eating in Haveli in under 10 minutes.
Course that could be ruined this year. But keep this poo poo under your hat.
I LOVE INDIAN FOOD

Quoting for new page

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thanks again to all the goons for making GenCon a blast. I'll definitely be back for next year.

In terms of loot, I got Spark, A FATE-like that I got a chance to demo with the author, along with Sig, his adaptation of Planescape for his system.

Also, I found a copy of World of Synnibar :unsmigghh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Vast was the most interesting game I played at the convention. While they were all out by the time I wanted to get it, I ordered a copy as soon as I got home.

If any of you are in the Chicago area, ring me up.

EDIT: MY FIRST REDTEXT AVATAR :toot:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I came away clean. It must have been the Leini's :downs:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

pakman posted:

Drow's Sap

Okay, how the gently caress was anyone supposed to guess that?

quote:

Read the boards that came up, there was also the password clue in the previous room.

My group got pretty far, but got stuck trying to come up with the name for all the doodads. Sucks that getting partial success didn't reduce damage (my group was playing on Nightmare for some reason)

quote:

Slide pucks better.

Actually didn't have too much trouble with this one

quote:

Don't remember.

Don't remember.

The one with the symbols we were just figuring out the full mechanics when time ran out. The laser one guy solved in like a minute.

quote:

Didn't solve this one, but the spinning light in the middle was a clue on how you had to put the chain on the things.

Again, we were making good progress when time ran out, and it would have been nice if damage was reduced to account for that.

quote:

Slide pucks better. Remember to use class skills. Heal.

At Nightmare difficulty, my group could only hit the Beholder on 20s. And since we were taking 15 damage per failed puzzle, we were short on healing items. We ultimately wiped on time.

Overall not the best first impression of True Dungeon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Radio Free Walrus posted:

What in the heck were you doing in there on nightmare. That's crazy talk for a first run.

There were a couple of vets that convinced us all because we get one extra loot token afterwards.

And despite wiping we got both tokens, so yay, I guess?

EDIT: What was the actual completion rate this year?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Radio Free Walrus posted:

I do not know on that one, my guess is we'll hear about it in the next few weeks. The completion rate is pretty variable, as if a combat is deemed to difficult they get toned down very quickly during the con. One of my friend's first times being an NPC last year resulted in drow-related TPKs for the first day and then basically none the next.

Also, honestly while getting more tokens is great, actually having an enjoyable time is way more important. Our first run of the con was a little mediocre due to milquetoast NPC drow lady and a broken drum sound effect, but our last one was great with singing succubi, a dude in a sweet fallen angel costume, and friendly GMs.

Our succubus sounded half-asleep, and it was the first day of the con :(.

And honestly, not losing half my HP wouldn't have diminished the frustration from not being able to finish any puzzle, save for one that one guy solved in a minute.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ilor posted:

I didn't get the ConCrud and came out feeling like aces, but ended up with something worse a few days later. The condition is called "benign positional vertigo," and it's some kind of weird disruption of the inner ear. The end result is an uncontrollable spinning sensation accompanied by violent nausea and vomiting. No. Fun. I'm still pretty woozy, but (thankfully) not puking my guts out anymore. I don't really drink much, so I can only imagine this is what it feels like to be falling-down drunk. I've gotta say, I'm not a fan. Nor, sir, don't like it.

Fortunately, I'm doped out of my mind (like you could tell the difference) and poo poo-posting on SA!

drat, I had that in 2011. Was way worse than any bender I don't remember. Get we'll soon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My copy of Vast just shipped :toot:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have a family friend that lives in Indy, thinking about just staying at their place next year so I don't have to pay anything for hotel.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Badge get!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is there anything you need to do to apply for VIG, or can any dope with the money try to get it?

• Locked thread