Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rjderouin posted:

Hey my name is Robert and I work the Japanime Games booth at GenCon. We manufacture Krosmaster Arena (Wakfu / Dofus tie in) and Tanto Cuore. I will give you a cool demo and if you tell me you are a goon I will give you and your friends some cool stuff. I hope to see a bunch of you there, I will be the guy in the shirt that says Robert.

I will do my best to remember this. I love demoing random games it's my favorite part of Gencon.

I still wish I would have gotten to demo Infinity last year. But everytime we went there was nobody there to demo or we would get told "hey come back later." But the guy demoing the game wouldn't let players use tape measures so I'm not sure if I really missed anything.

Quarex I forget about this picture taken of me and my friends at the playtest hall a few years back. We went in and one of the games available to try was called "Lucha Monstruo." To this day I'm still not sure what the other games available were because we had to play that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Grinspork posted:

Maybe this year, I'll go on that bicycle bar and get intoxicated while seeing the sights around the city! OR I COULD JUST RUN AROUND AND GET IN AS MANY DEMOS AS I CAN WHILE AVOIDING FLYING FROG!

What's wrong with Flying Frog?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

Swank. Dehumanize Yourself and Face to Bloodshed D20.

Speaking of flights and other stuff, I know the opening posts are basically infinite information overload, so my comment about Goon Trains(tm) got buried--a few people in the Traditional Games Chat thread and I talked about how fun it would be to collectively decide on specific trains to take cross-country, sitting near each other and gaming as much time as we could stand while on the way. Of course, the only three people who expressed interest are coming from three entirely unrelated parts of the country, BUT there is certainly a chance something could gain steam.

(for those too lazy to look up there, the three locations so far are Vermont, Virginia Beach, and California [I think])

My crew is taking a Megabus out of Columbus. It's not a train but if anyone else is doing that we could try and game. There are tables on them in some seats.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

Oh, but I am not entirely sure that I understand why the event's attendance fluctuated erratically from the 1990s until the slight dip the year after the economy collapsed in 2008, and then somehow led to continual 10%+ growth annually. Certainly people talk about how nerd stuff is cool now, but it was cool a decade ago too but the numbers still seemed capped forever at 25,000ish until MAGIC HAPPENED

It probably doesn't have anything to do with it but Origins started to shrink in 09 from the two years I went before. In 2010 every hall had lost space and the vendor hall was shrunk down and that was when we decided to just start going to Gencon instead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedi425 posted:

Hey all, it's been a few years since I attended one of these, how bad is registration these days compared to say, PAX? If I don't mind getting a hotel that's not right in walking distance, is it as big a deal if I don't buy a badge right on opening day?

And speaking of, the dates on the website don't make any sense; it says badge sales start 1/26 at Noon EST, but housing opens at noon on 1/25? Is that for the VIG people to get in early?

I see it saying badge registration is 1/23 in two different spots on the gencon.com website front page.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jedi425 posted:

Says 1/26 here: http://gencon.com/attend/your_badge

But yeah, I see 1/23 on the very front page. I don't even know. Help us, GenCon.

The PAX thing is the reason I'm thinking about going back to GenCon; the last few times I've been able to attend PAX, I couldn't get a ticket without the use of magic, or a Pegasus Device, or something. GenCon always seemed to be a more chilled out affair.

You managed to find a page relating to 2014.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

New housing process reads well. For those of you that didn't get the email, everyone with a badge is randomly given a time slot starting at noon to register for a hotel room. The only thing I a not fond of with the concept is it means you could be registering at noon or maybe 2 hours later depending how lucky you are so your Sunday could be kind of tied up to get a hotel room if you wanted to do something out of the house. Hopefully it works out ok, has to be better the how last year went.

They also announced a price increase to $80 for pre-reg. My reading makes it sound like it's going to go up every year but I probably read something wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Gencon challenge: find and attend a ticketed Maid event. See if you can make it through the whole thing without anyone being creepy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

That's how I read it as well, a $10 increase each year? Though their use of year-over-year doesn't exactly make sense.

I might check the Hilton suites, though I am guessing they are going to be too much. If I was going in a big group I am fine with splitting the room but right now its just me and hopefully my girlfriend (she wants to go this year but is a little intimidated having never been to a con of any size). Dropping a grand plus just to sleep for 4 days and keep stuff some where it shouldn't be stolen really sucks.

Reading it that way makes me feel like I'll stop going to Gencon in the next couple years. I love going and all but I don't see me wanting to pay over $100 for a badge. Maybe it's just because the only cons I've gone to are Gencon and Origins but even $100 feels really steep.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What is True Dungeon like? Every year it immediately sells out but we don't know enough about it to attempt getting tickets. It's some sort of larp that you can level up in and stuff? We're under the assumption that you can spend the $40 or whatever and fail meaning you wasted money. Is that the case?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

jadarx posted:

My Gencon Maid game only was 'slightly inappropriate' :smuggo:

:smith:

"Slightly inappropriate" is better than what it could be. But then again I'm soured to ticketed rpg events since the Atomic Robo near rape game I played in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PuttyKnife posted:

So I have a question about hotels. I went and reserved a room for my wife and I already. Should I not have done this? Do you get better deals through gencon?

It's cheaper through gencon. Best example I can think of is the JW Marriott. According to the Marriott website it's 499$ a night whole though the housing program it's 218-223$.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CellBlock posted:

Holy balls, there's a Gen Con thread already! In January! loving Yes! (Like I really need to start thinking about Gen Con now, because I don't have so many things going on between now and then... gently caress 'em, Gen Con!)

Already looking forward to another year of playing games and getting drunk with gooooooooooons. (Year one, it was... I don't even remember what our game of choice was, but I remember free beers for the trivia team name "I get that he's dressed like a douchebag, but why do they call it steampunk?" Last year, it was Avalon. All the Avalon, all the time (and all the Captain Morgan).)

Everyone, get your badges Friday, strap on your helmets and dildos on Saturday, and jump into the housing clusterfuck on Sunday! DO IT! It's like the game before the games. (Actually, don't do it. I want my sweet hotel rooms.)

The housing clusterfuck on Sunday is going to be orderly and done via random lottery so not much to jump into.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Really hoping it all goes well Sunday. I have a list of up to 12 hotels I want to try and get into just in case. I do wonder how much needing to be the badge purchaser to reserve a hotel in the block is going to help. In the past everyone got codes which they could of course just share with whoever they wanted. I don't know if it impacted things much but I am sure it didn't help.

Also, Len, if you didn't notice they already clarified they do not have current plans to raise badge prices next year or in the near future, so it looks like that mental block on $100 of gaming awesomeness admission is safe for at least a few more years.

That's good. I don't know why Gencon for $100 seems crazy expensive but for some reason it does. That comes out to $25/day and I have more than that much fun. But something about it sits weird to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8one6 posted:

My friends and I are splitting a VIG and 3 companion badges si it'w going to work out to $250/badge for us.

Yeah but that's a VIG badge. There's more to that than "can attend Gencon" like the regular badges.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would buy the poo poo out of a badge that gave me unlimited time in the free game hall (I forget the actual name). Instead of buying a ticket for a 12 hour block let me just go in whenever I feel like. That would be an amazing deal and it surprises me they haven't done something like that yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm not overly sad we just booked early now. A friend used magic* to find a Hyatt suite using Priceline and we booked that at $320 a person. Badges went on sale Friday and thanks to lovely events happening none of us had the money for a badge so we're stuck with the higher price but at least we have one.

*I say magic because I can't get the Hyatt Regency to show up on any priceline search.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edit: This was meant to be in the chat thread. My bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

I think for future years I am seriously considering just booking out the block a year ahead of time, probably at a hotel on the shuttle route since I can't afford the rack rates at the downtown hotels, just to make the whole hotel experience less nerve wracking. I am glad the convention is growing so much but this stuff does really suck for attendees. Soon we will have people sleeping in vans and hallways like Milwaukee all over again.

The official gen con forums is making me kind of hate humanity. People quoting atlas shrugged and claiming the system shouldn't be fair but skewed so those able to either game the system or who have the most money deserve the best shots at rooms. Ugh, gamers sometimes.

One memory that stands out from my first year at gencon in 2011 was seeing convention center staff waking people up when they slept in the hallways. After coming from Origins in Columbus where sleeping in the convention center was acceptable that was a nice change.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neveth posted:

One of my favorite memories from last year's Gen Con is from the Deviants' booth. One of the ladies was dressed as Aayla Secura and a little 5 year old boy in Jedi costume was asking for a hug. His slightly embarrassed father was explaining that she was his son's favorite Jedi. She looked quite pleased and did so and it was adorable.

Awwwe :3 moments like that probably make their days. Because you just know creepy nerds buy their nudes then just assume that gives them rights to sexually harass them so a little kid just wanting a hug from her favorite Jedi just has to be a welcome change of pace.

I wasn't paying attention was the Nazi booth back last year?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Yup, it was there. It will probably always be there unless Gen Con decides to specifically exclude it. I don't know how you could miss it unless you just avoided the vendor hall. That booth and the giant t-shirt tower of tackiness are the two most obnoxious ones in the whole hall in both their appearance and how much obstruction to the isles they cause.

I must have just tuned it out then. It was 2013 where they had the Nazi stuff right out facing the aisle right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

What kind of stuff usually fills up quick for gencon anyway? I didnt really bother with it last time (because I wasn't really there to do events) so I dunno what I should be F5ing like a mental for.

I've yet to find a good beginner shadowrun game that doesn't fill up almost immediately. We did that Welcome to the Fifth World thing last year and it was complete garbage. They had 6 players. 1 gm, and two or three copies of the core rulebook. We were handed character sheets and told "you have about two hours ask me if you have any questions" and then the GM checked out. After three hours the run started and we each got a single turn before "times up missions over"

Edit: I would love it if someone would run a newbie game of Shadowrun this year. I could get four people and I would be more than willing to buy you a drink for your time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

I never understand people who have players make characters at con games, especially a game for beginners. Why would you want to waste any of your four hours on making a character for a one shot game?

It was set up to teach players how to make one which in theory was a good idea. However the way they handled it was awful. There should have been more books or a person to help the GM or a GM that was awake. But the Shadowrun games always seem to fill up really quick.

I think the characters from that session could have been used with other games though because I remember him asking if anyone would be back. So I think there was some.character progression.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lawen posted:

How do you guys figure out which events to sign up for? Just pick a game system you like and blindly buy tickets for a session based on the day and time? Find GMs you like and sign up for whatever they're running?

The past couple years I've mostly stuck to Games on Demand, the open boardgaming library, and pick up games with goons or IRL friends. This year I actually want to put a few formal events on my schedule but I'm kinda worried about a) wasting 6 hours to get one turn of play (ShadowRun clusterfuck discussed above) b) ending up in a game with half-cat wizards who use rape magic (or something equally ludicrous/repulsive) c) no-fun rules lawyers who are going to be antagonistic because I haven't memorized the underwater light radius table from page 443 of the out of print Atlantis supplement or whatever.

Should I just roll the dice (sorry, pun) and sign up for whatever sounds interesting with the expectation that there's a chance it will be weird and unfun but I may get a good story out of it?

I just randomly buy tickets for systems I'm interested in. My experiences have been kinda hit or miss though I've encountered A and B but also some fun games.

One of my favorite sessions was a Vampire game. I'd never played WoD before so I got tickets to a couple systems. There were a couple players in the vampire game that played their vampires as the broody goths and they weren't much fun. The game took place in Egypt and they described themselves as wearing trench coats and all black.

The malkavian (did I spell that right?) player was dressed as a stereotypical tourist. Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts, giant camera and was really helpful explaining back story of the setting and not acting like I was a moron for not doing extensive research on the setting for a no experience required game.

But then you have things like that Shadowrun game where your time is wasted, my Hunter game where the GM didn't show so the group used a sub who phoned it in, or the Atomic Robo game where I got near raped. You're gambling and the results aren't always good.

It helps to drag a friend along.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've never paid attention to it what's the D&D All Access? It sounds like it's a pass to just walk into a place and find a random D&D game to play. I'm not a big fan of D&D but depending on the hours of it that could be worth it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Its a guaranteed spot in all of the official D&D events run by Baldman Games on behalf of WotC for the con with the same DM and party for every game and at the same time slot each day. Last year it was $140 and for that you got a copy of the PHB, a copy of the Monster Manual signed by all of the D&D design staff (this was also 60 days before the MM was available at retail), and then a 4 hour game of D&D on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and for the Saturday night Kryptgarden event and D&D Celebration event.

That doesn't seem too bad honestly. I'll look into that when the event list goes up. Does anyone know when that is off the top of your head?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

DNA Cowboys posted:

All of a sudden, I'm worried about running my silly, all-ages Costume Fairy Adventures game. Maybe if I talk about it here some good people would sign up for it instead of creepos.

I've run demos in exchange for badges and while shilling my own indie heart-breaker, but I've never run a ticketed game before. It's a first! It's also the first year I'll be attending with someone with a more balanced approach to getting a good night's sleep. My graph-paper-and-highlighter schedule of interviews and games is going to be pretty jam-packed. I'm excited.

My girlfriend is going with us this year and I bet she would gladly play a game where she can pretend to be Tinkerbell. I'll try to get us tickets.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I hate to be That Guy but does anyone know the dimensions of that bag? I've been looking for a new one and that looks pretty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm glad to hear that Gencon is a friendly con. I was always afraid the cosplay deviants were setting themselves up for a weekend of hell. Nerds can be pretty creepy and entitled and I just imagine a lot of them go "I can buy sexy pictures of you? That gives me right to be ultra creepy." Good to hear I can have faith in Gencon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

For anyone going Megabus the tickets for Gencon are bookable now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are there any prereleases worth looking into happening this year?

Also any goons running events?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8one6 posted:

I'm just waiting to see everyone go "Lav Vegas!" for the where Ge Con should move discussion. Because that will happen and isn't a bad idea.

That's so much farther away though ): Chicago? That's a nice city right?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LuiCypher posted:

I read a bunch of articles too. I liked it when they mentioned that the convention center was expanded specifically to fit Gen Con, but then they wrote something along the lines of "...but what they really want to do is lure the NRA convention back to Indy".

Still, pretty proud that Gen Con LLC is basically taking a stand and saying that any law that allows people to discriminate against con-goers is absolute bullshit. First, because it's the truth. Second, it's the right thing to take a stand against.

I would be interested to see if it migrated to the Cleve, though.

Cleveland would be nice because that's only an hour away from me. But then on the other hand not only would I still be in Ohio I would be in Cleveland.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

And to think two days ago I was writing up a big exposé on what has happened on the official forums since last year in lieu of anything else going on in the thread.

Pubbie drama is always fun to read about. Anything fun?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

I have my other post half-written on my laptop, it will see the light soon enough.

But! The conversations about where to move the convention are always amazing, given the level of arrogance involved when people post multiple-paragraph explanations of how moving Gen-Con to Las Vegas/New York/Vancouver/Los Angeles/whatever is "objectively" a better idea and it is only the arbitrary Midwest stubbornness that keeps Gen-Con from being in a "real" city. Strangely these people seem disinterested in the fact that Indianapolis, as I understand it, literally has the most "hotel rooms connected to a convention center" of any city in the USA. Not to mention it is one of the only big-time convention cities small enough to BECOME A GAMER WORLD for the time Gen-Con is in town.

But to be fair, a lot of the people posting these things are like independently wealthy West/East-Coast folks who are just like "yawn, you bore me with your 'gamer culture,' I am just trying to find the best boardgame tournaments to enter and am irritated that Indianapolis' airport sucks." I certainly hear it does suck. So there is that.

The most predictably new dramatic thing since last Gen-Con was (also unsurprisingly involving arbitrary arrogance) a post explaining how "anyone with business sense" could tell it would be a good idea to split the program guide into two books, one for the splashy pictures and text stuff at the front and one for the actual events at the back. The main reason this is dramatic is because there had already been I think three other threads earlier that year proposing the same thing, each ultimately stopped by one of the admins discussing how Gen-Con LLC had spent years trying to decide whether it made economic sense to split the program guide into two books only to decide it was an economic gamble they were not about to take when printing on a scale of, you know, now 60,000+ books at once.

The cutting rejoinder was that "ORIGINS DOES IT THIS WAY"

"So the convention legendary for being a second-rate knockoff does it this way, which is why we should do it that way? Got it."

Origins has done nothing but shrink since 2010. I know one guy who swears it's a better convention than Gencon because "It's more about the gaming and less about selling product" but we stopped down for a Saturday a couple years back and in the five hours we were there before we left there wasn't one Magic draft, or beginner friendly RPG, or anything else we were interested in starting. Whereas at Gencon there's a Magic game going every hour, that RPG hall I can't remember the name for, and doesn't let people sleep in the convention center.

Besides who actually uses the book instead of a smart phone/tablet? (Probably lots of people. But that's my preferred route. So :colbert:)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's lovely but I'm not gonna cancel my Gencon plans for it. But if someone plans a protest I will gladly make a sign and go spend time with a bunch of angry gamers (gaymers? I know that badge ribbon exists) and yell at politicians.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Isn't Indiana one of those states where being gay is a valid reason to fire someone? Or am I mixing up states and laws?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is the traditional game community as poo poo as the videogame one? Are people going to be threatening Gencon or the Indiana Government with rape and murder?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Deathlove posted:

True Dungeon 3.0.

Now with the low entry fee of $75 a ticket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The last year I went to a con with him my friends little brother brought ten cans of ravioli. That was all he ate the entire time. He had the money to buy food he just didn't want to spend the money.

My earliest cons were the "best" for food. I lived in the dorms at college and had almost $600 left in food money at the end of a semester so I turned it into a subway gift card. For like three years at Origins I never had to worry about food. It wasn't delicious but not having to budget for it was amazing. I even bought one of those $70 fancy foam swords with Subway once.

• Locked thread