Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Last year, my friends and I got a hotel just outside the city and took shuttles and cabs to and from the center; I also saw a ton of Uber cars that weekend. Our shuttle service was totally hosed though. Some trips let us get on, while others said we needed a specific badge and did not let use use them. If you're going with a couple people, 8-10 bucks split however many ways for a cab/Uber is pretty cheap, and you can haggle before jumping in because it is a feeding frenzy of transportation outside every door. If you can deal with a bit of aggravation, you can save quite a bit of money on transportation. Only downside is you have to carry all the poo poo you buy all day, or send someone back with everything.

E>> One other thing I would suggest I didn't see in the OP, is dressing in layers. I know it's the middle of summer and you're going to be packed into the center like cattle, but by around 8 pm, a large amount of people start leaving. And by close to midnight, all the AC units in the place turn it into a giant meat locker. I froze my rear end off the first night.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'd love for it to come to Detroit, but it will go to Chicago or Cincinnati before that ever happens.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Last year was my first year and I tried cramming in too much I think. This year I only grabbed a few events and let myself do what I felt like which seemed the way to go.

I was a bit lucky and had connections to some vendors and got into the CAH comedy show for free. Don't care for CAH, but the show was great and had semi big stand up names in it.

I also got into the vendor lounge one night which is basically open gaming and an open bar. Everyone was grabbing as much as they could hold.

I also didn't want to eat all from food trucks the entire weekend, so got to St Elmo one night, and a Indian cuisine spot suggested in here on another.

One night my group had a long walk from the comedy show back to the center and decided to try out the bike rentals. Seriously one of the best parts of the weekend was cruising around late night in Indy on bikes seeing the city.

The message I'm getting to here is don't spend the entire time inside the center like I did the first time. Ya you're there to game, but there is a ton of fun poo poo to do all around the downtown area too.

My only regret from this year was learning on Sunday the voice of Crow from MST3K was there. I would have loved that.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Pirogi truck was not on point. I apologize to out of towners, they are normally better

I wanted a word with that truck and the Shwarma one. I'm from metro detroit, neither of those items were what they claimed to be.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 4, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I went and sat down at a real resturant for dinner each night, but I needed something for mid day. And I was not touching that garbage they sold inside. The food trucks never are very filling, but there are usually a few good tasting ones. The Indian one last year comes to mind, but didn't try hunting it down this year.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Just move some of the big booths elsewhere. FFG hogged all the walk ways all weekend long with people waiting in hour long lines wrapped all around their booth. Also the artist area was a giant waste of space. Every time I passed by their area they were all staring off into space with no one stopping by them.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Uhhhg the lottery again? My friends and I got hosed by it last year and only got a room about two months before hand from someone trying to dump one.

It's such a garbage system, didn't they get enough complaints from it last year to try something different?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I jumped into this thread almost every night for dining suggestions beyond food trucks last year, and glad I did. Hit the obvious St Elmo, but tried that Indian place and some burger joint another time and they were all great. Please, make a list of great food so I can find more next year.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Got mine. Only like half a year left guys!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Friend of mine who's going for the first time got in the first queue and we got a Skywalk, holy gently caress. The dream!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I came to this thread almost every night last year and was never disappointed.

St Elmo is an event of its own, you have to go and eat like a god for one night no matter how much you want to budget. Went to the Indian resturant when it was completely empty one evening and had another great meal in and out for probably as much or even less than what the trucks gouge you for. Stopped off at some burnt cheese burger bar on another night that fit the bill for a greasy spoon. I keep hearing about Loughmillers and plan to give that a try this year.

Also have never been able to make it into the Ram on account of it always being packed. Is it worth trying to get in, or is it just a basic chain style resturant?

As for a Newby guide, always bring a comfortable bag and pack it with snacks. Concession food is garbage and very overpriced. Trucks are good and convenient, but are packed several hours of the day and get pricey quick. My friends and I usually go on our own during the day, and plan a real dinner each night.

Most important, for me at least, is jam it all in. I'm usually pulling off 14+ hour days every day. There's so much to do in four days, slam all the caffeine you can handle and go HAAM at Gencon.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've never seen the point in bringing your own games in unless you plan on meeting people for it. People will generally setup new games they just bought or you can hit the library and chances are they have it so you don't need to carry it around.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

True Dungeon and some other stuff was moved to the stadium, so the vendor hall took over that space.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is there a way to check events for I guess guests celebrities or whatever you might call them? I learned of some of the MSR3K guys being there like the day after their panel last year and was bummed to have missed that.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I think about Gencon every loving day.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Someone recommended that place last year and I agree it is pretty good. We went for dinner around 8 and the place was empty. Funny how most con people don't want to venture more than a block outside the convention.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

My group went to Le Peep the other day for breakfast. Nothing special, but completely empty because it's a few blocks walk. No long rear end wait time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Agrias120 posted:

True Dungeon

I'm curious what was it like for the super serious run through? My group and another we all know decided to give it a try this year for the hell of it and found it a bit boring, even with almost a full 10 group who all knew each other.

We went for the puzzle aspect because action/LARPing sounded a bit too extreme for us, but from what I have heard, the actual combat one just adds more fighting scenarios in the same way. The "combat" in it is putting your weapon pogs onto a slider and playing shuffle board essentially. The final fight made half the people in the group just sit and do nothing because only ranged could effect it, pretty lame to make a mechanic where people are literally doing nothing. Everything about it felt pretty cheap and not worth the price. Maybe worth trying once, but I wouldn't go back and probably not recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Had a fair amount of events this year, but as usual, the best stuff is almost always the free games going on you just pull a chair up to. Probably spent more on food than games again, ate like a monster every night.

• Locked thread