Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Texibus
May 18, 2008
Welp, me and my bros are attending for the second time this year after having the most fun I've had as an adult last year.

First lesson learned: You will not get a hotel room connected to the venue if you're not sitting at your computer at exactly noon. Also, the Filipino lady how handles the hotel bookings is extremely nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
When do they start the waitlist? The woman I talked to mentioned I'd just need to keep checking back every day.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'm coming for your room man, know that I'm vigilant and will swoop in on any mistakes.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I didn't see a Nazi booth either, maybe they should save money for a few years and not go so they can afford a super bowl ad in 2026 to get the word out.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yes it is and watch 20 people stomp their feet in place with their eyes closed in unsanctioned games of werewolves. I really thought that was funny, every corner of the convention center at 3 am is people playing werewolf.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I will be extremely relieved when I get this hotel stay stuff sorted out.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I do not see your room on the reserve list, I will take your room.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Long shot but does anyone have an extra hotel room/house/box they need bodies for? I've been trying for months to nab a hotel room within 5 miles of the god drat convention center with no luck. We're a party of three, maybe four. We're clean, decent human beings I promise.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'd actually prefer walking distance (like everyone else) and figured the shuttles are more reliable in the 5 mile range than the 12. I refuse to go through the horror of trying to park a car every day.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

Parking is really easy, just park at the mall garage and walk over.

Also consider that if you're farther out you can taxi in and those taxi costs (especially if you're pooling with folks) can be still be cheaper than a closer hotel + shuttle.

LuiCypher posted:

We didn't really have a problem getting into any of the garages, though you might be about 5-10 blocks away depending on when you arrive in the AM. Besides, the odds are good that your car will be faster and if it's not too inconvenient, represents a place to drop off stuff in the middle of the day.

Thanks for the advice, we got lucky last year and got a last minute candlewood room just was hoping to get a bit closer this year, but looks like we're going to need to settle for the farther room. I'm glad to hear the parking situation isn't terrible.

My original offer is still out there though, if one of y'all have some last minute drop-outs we'll take their spots to keep y'all's cost down.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 9, 2015

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Len posted:

Is it because the fans are usually terrible people? My friends wife posted a giant rant about football posts on Facebook being stupid. But when I pointed out she only posts Doctor Who related statuses and memes she went "that's different because reasons."

Hilarious.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Welp, waiting it out paid off again, managed to nab a room in the city centre for me and my two bros. We're sleeping head to toe in one King size bed like dwarves, but we're staying at SHERATON INDIANAPOLIS CITY CENTRE HOTEL, which is only four block away from the Con. Plus, I can keep looking for something better and change with no fees, not a bad fall back.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Nope, friend was lurking reddit and some dude posted he didn't need his room anymore and we snatched it up. Also, the gencon website might have some leads as well.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Sloober posted:

That's the hotel i'll be at - last year they embraced gen con more and offered free wi fi for the duration, and opened their basement level room as a board game area - turned out to have a good number of folks playing games there at any given point. I will probably be hanging out there for a good bit of Wednesday provided they do the same again.

We're not going to be getting there till Thursday morning, I guess next year we're going to need to start planning for a Wednesday launch if that sort of stuff is happening. I just remember last year looking at the list of stuff going on at the Convention center and Wednesday seemed like it was for expoers/booth folks, so we passed on that day.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 20, 2015

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I need an event recommendation, My friends and I (3 total folks) want to try out an RPG but we're not particulair crazy about the potential of being surrounded by snarling people who think they're goblins. Are there any chill events that would suit some not so immersive looking dudes? We'll try any system.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 15, 2015

Texibus
May 18, 2008
FUUUUCK, I don't know what to pick. All I want to do is play brand new games and have people teach me the rules. Any really highly anticipated games I should be trying to sneak into?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
loving Pumped! The Goons doing any gatherings?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Which hotels should I be gunning for if I somehow get a sweet lottery spot

Texibus
May 18, 2008
26 minutes and 46, I split up our group badges to try and get more entries.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Got the downtown Marriott with two double beds, hell yeah.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Had I used the list and not the map we could have got hosed. That list they have is really inaccurate and some of the hotels requires a four night reservation I guess.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
46 minutes and I was still able to book one, 4 blocks away.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I've never done an RPG before, not sure how deep I want to get into it, but whats a good event for a dude like me?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I know it's broad. I just basically want to get a feel for that side of the hobby. I've tried a few times to get into shadow run and we lose interest almost immediately.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
drat servers making GBS threads themselves

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Didn't not get into your gamma world game moles, what a popular goonman you are.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I can't complain, my one buddy loving nabbed watch the skies (been dying to try that out), true dungeon, and an AEG game night. So other than playing one RPG I'm pretty set.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Turns out i didn't get that watch the skies, which is a bummer.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah there aren't a lot of things on my radar this year and I'm still excited to go, guess thats a good!

In other news, i bought the Dresden Files RPG and fatecore books to give a shot. See how it goes, thanks goons! Jesus those books are big though.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I'm terrified to ruin the experience for my buddies who are also new and trying out RPGs because I'll be first time GMing. (And I've only played D&D 3 sessions)

But after doing a skype game of D&D 5th edition, I reeeally want to try out a more streamlined system that's more narrative driven and seems that what this is going to be.

Also, we are all Dresden File fans so this should be a good setting.

Moles do you have any tips or resources to hit up?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I don't know what to tell you. I'm only eye balling one game (seafall), got a sweet hotel and all the events I wanted. Now it's just a wait till I get to hang with my bros

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Well, they could move more of those products if they were cheaper too. I think they're missing an opportunity to make a sell by keeping it at MSRP, because most people who buy these things know all they have to do is hit up Amazon or CSI when they get home.

Plus they're keeping games out of the hands of the people who go home and advertise for them for just a little longer, which is the main reason to be there advertise. They're missing an opportunity to do that every time someone walks by and says I'll wait till it's cheaper elsewhere.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 27, 2016

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I do the latter too. Plus if you travel with your gaming group it's cool to bust something new out and playing it in the evening.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I've never waited in a long line at Gencon, silly to me too.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I agree, very cool.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
And i can fill that wait with a backlog of games for at least year.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I had no idea those pogs were worth poo poo, I left them in my hotel room because I thought they were garbage... ohh god what did I throw out.

It was only the things in the starter pack

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I don't think we got to open any loot boxes even though we killed the spider. Did anyone solve the final room with all the weapons?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How do you get one of those VIG passes at Gencon? I know it cost more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Any of y'all VIG, thinking about maybe putting my hat in the lottery, not sure if it's worth. But after getting a taste of that Skywalk I don't know if I can go back.

• Locked thread