Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My group ended up getting a room at the Embassy Suites Indianapolis - North because by the time we got to reserve rooms all the downtown ones were gone. One of our usual group members gets the VIG companion badge but he's sitting this one out due to his wife having a baby a month or two before the con. Embassy Suites are 12 miles away, which sucks, but they have big rooms and we should have plenty of space to game between the 3-4 of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quarex posted:

Did your friend give up his Elite Status(tm) because he could not go? If not, it might still not be too late for him to book a better room for you, given that as I understand it the V.I.G. block is separate from the general block.

If he DID give it up...well, glory to all gamedom for its availability, but if I were you I would have taken up a collection to get him to renew anyway :haw:

Yes, he didn't buy one because if he buys a badge he's going to do everything he can to go even if it's just for this purpose. We'll just rent a car or take the shuttle.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quarex posted:

:( I sort of understand. But I still think you should try to convince him to hold his place in the V.I.G. line for all eternity, as I imagine the odds of getting back in are not exactly very good (not that they are any different than anyone else's odds now, I realize).

Still, I do not mean to suggest you are going to have a bad time. As I mentioned before I was a half hour away in 2003 and we still had a great time, and we were actually more like an hour away in 1997, and though that was kind of lame, Milwaukee itself had a lot more to do with it than the distance. The drive from suburban Indianapolis into the city is basically cake compared to the Hell Commute into downtown Milwaukee.

He's a VIG companion and the VIG is still going, I think the VIG is going to die at Gencon, so shouldn't he be able to just get another companion badge?

I'm not too worried about it. It's a short commute but one year we stayed at the La Quinta Inn and walked it every day so it could be worse. I only plan on running three games and I have all my books in pdf form so it's not like I'll be carrying a bookshelf on my back either.

quote:

Oh yeah, those are the best. That same guy might have been complaining on the Facebook page; "I've been going for 15 years and THIS is how you repay me?!?!" It is, 100% obviously, a system set up to punish A Guy Who Has Gone For 15 Years.

Gencon seems to be a con all about entitlement. I must get that thing that at retail price that is going to be in stores in two weeks, I must get the penthouse suite at the JW, and I must be able to touch those costumed titties.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else submitted their adventures yet? I'm going to hopefully be running Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, and Edge of the Empire.

Curse of the Black Crane posted:

Shanghai, the "Paris at the East" to some and the "Whore of the Orient" to others. The city has sat at an uneasy state of peace since the violence that erupted between the Chinese and Japanese in 1932. Agents of foreign governments move secretly among the populace and Chinese communists wait for the time to strike while the Nationalists maintain a tenuous hold on the reins of power. The upcoming auction of a strange Han Dynasty bronze, "The Black Crane" has been the talk of not only the archaeologist community but also some members of high society. Why has this strange artifact attracted so much attention and what secrets does it hold?

Trail of Cthulhu game set in 1935 Shanghai.

Rasetsu posted:

In 1897, the British ship Persephone ran aground along the coast of Nagasaki under mysterious circumstances. Strange occurrences would follow that event that remain a mystery to all but a select few.

Night's Black Agents game set in Meiji Japan.

Duck and Weave posted:

The Duros shipping magnate Keravan Voss is throwing the event of the year and it's the perfect time to rob his private vault. A client has requested the procurement of a strong box holding artifacts that are of great value to them and they will pay handsomely for this box. Unfortunately there has been a rise in Imperial activity on the planet in the lead up to the gala and there are reports of increased Rebel activity in the surrounding region of space. It should all still be a simple heist, right?

Standard Edge of the Empire game where the players play neutral characters.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

But realtalk, get a hotel 20 minutes away and rent a car, it'll be pretty cheap and the parking, while not great, isn't the worst in the world in my experience.

This is pretty much my group's plan. The shuttle situation sounds pretty hosed so I'm not too happy about that but there's not too much that can be done.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

8one6 posted:

The biggest barrier for it to come to Detroit is it has about a fourth of the hotel rooms that Indy has. The regular con goers would hunt us VIGs in the streets for our ability to reserve rooms early.

They could do an event where attendees pay top dollar to squat in a burned out high rise like a vagrant living in Shadowrun's Seattle Barrens. They can advertise it as a way to get around the showering policy.

Chicago is pretty bad in the crime department as well but has more hotels. :shrug: Why not Cleveland? It's pretty close to the East Coast and it has more downtown hotels.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Chicago would probably be the choice then.

My guess is that the bill is a way for the governor to claim he's a true conservative but he'll have the bill silently killed so he doesn't catch the blow back from it. Pence has been around for a while so it's not like he's one of the Tea Party newcomers who have no idea what they're doing and burn everything resembling a bridge to the ground. I could be wrong on this but a bill like that is even a big deal in the South and that's Middle Earth if Sauron had won in terms of politics most of the time. Seems like something used as a publicity stunt, not something that they really believed in.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 25, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The mayor of Indianapolis just issued an executive order protecting LGBT rights.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/30/greg-ballard_n_6972928.html

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone should just get those artist alley people to send Mike Pence all those very detailed pencil drawings of male movie characters making out.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Backno posted:

It's UPS, but same concept. Although the FedEx Office on the circle is the best place to ship from my wife works there

Just an FYI this might cost you an arm and a leg on anything bigger than a 14x14 box. FedEx moved over to dimensional weight so big things are going to be ridiculously expensive regardless of their weight. Also remember that fragile packages need at least three inches of space between the item and the box in order to properly fragile wrap it. The box generally needs to be able to survive a 6ft drop because machines do most of the sorting and throw it at some point. If you ignore this fact, you will usually waive any declared value on the package. UPS has a better insurance policy than FedEx, sorry Backno, but they're similarly priced and FedEx is often cheaper.

Smaller items are generally cheaper through the post office, sorry again, and flat rate shipping is the best option most of the time. Just remember to buy packing materials because the post office won't have them and the postal workers will probably be surly as gently caress.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A friend mentioned that room blocks often open up around July. How true is this?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

So it turns out reporting your job to the state for safety violations makes for a rough work environment. Fingers crossed if I get fired it happens with time to cancel Gencon.

As long as you do your job and don't break any rules, they can't fire you. If they do, hire a lawyer and sue them because whistle blowers are protected under the law.

EDIT:

This might go out the window in a right to hire state but whistle blowers are offered protection under the law regardless of these rules.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 20, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rjderouin posted:

Hey guys I am working the Japanime Booth, my name is Rob, if you come to the booth and give me the stairs thing or just say you are a goon I will give you a free model from our game. Its called Krosmaster, its like a PVP FF Tactics board game/video game. Hope to see you all there.

My friend is a huge Wakfu fan. I'll have to grad one for her like I did for the Miku mat last year, which contained nothing but the Miku logo.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

But the year Netrunner came out I'm pretty sure they sold out drat near immediately each day so it depends on what it is

The only reason Netrunner sold out like it did was because FFG had no limit on purchases and VIG's were buying a dozen at a time to sell on eBay. It was pretty much gone by the time the con opened and FFG wasn't even prepared for it selling that well. They didn't even have enough copies for the tournament.

Bottom Liner posted:

Will they have the Gencon releases at the CSI booth? I'm assuming not, plus I'm from Orlando so I can snag them from CSIs shop otherwise. Guess I should just make a release list and decide what I'm willing to pay the premium for. Game of Thrones definitely, probably two core sets knowing FFG. Any other big releases you guys know about?

All Gencon releases are exclusive to the vendors releasing them. I also think some of the companies, FFG, force vendors not to carry their products so that con goers have to go to the source and pay full MSRP.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 1, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Forbidden Stars has me intrigued but then again, most 40K stuff by FFG at least gets my notice.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm now imagining a guy with a goatee in a FFG polo shirt talking about how it's part of the experience.

As for buying it, I will probably wait for a sale at CSI if it's any good. I live in Orlando and I can just go pick it up after work. I also don't want to lug it onto the plane. I will probably demo it though because I almost always demo at least 1 FFG.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 4, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

drat, that's at least 4 of us goons that live here and shop at CSI. Do you go on wed nights?

No, but I only recently moved back to Orlando. I might go in the near future if it works out with my work schedule.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Let me know if you do. Also, I'm looking to put together a playgroup in Kissimmee if you live down this way.

I live kind of between downtown and UCF but I'd be down to play something every once in a while.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peas and Rice posted:

Getting in the Group Me train again.

Also, ganked a spot in a Night's Black Agents game / playest for Dracula Dossier. :smugdog:

Let us know how that is because that book sounds awesome.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sionak posted:

Both Call of Cthulhu and Trail of Cthulhu are solid, but I'd say Call of Cthulhu is a little easier to get into. Most of the rules boil down to "roll under your skill with percentile dice." The edition doesn't really matter too much, it hasn't changed hugely.

Delta Green is also built on the "percentile, roll under" ruleset.

Trail is still pretty easy to pick up, so if a particular game description speaks to you, I'd say go for it.

If you want a fiddly, old school style game you should play a BRP game. BRP is Basic Role-Playing and the system that Chaosium has been pretty much using since they started. Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, and The Laundry all use it and it's seen as the standard Cthulhu system for being older than anything else.

If you want more of a story driven game, go with Trail of Cthulhu. Trail is more about investigation and telling a story.

If you want something in between, Realms of Cthulhu is the Savage Worlds Call of Cthulhu setting and it's somewhat adjustable in terms of what kind of game you want.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

rjderouin posted:

Reminding people because this thread has a lot more traffic since last time I posted. If you come to the Japanime Games booth I will give you cool stuff as long as you identify as a goon. My name is Robert and I will be wearing an actual Japanime collared/bowling style shirt rather than a black Japanime T-Shirt. Just let me know you are a goon. These are the games we carry (https://www.japanimegames.com), if any of them are even passingly interesting to you come on by.

What's the Kromaster promo? I have a friend who loves Wakfu and I told her about this but she wants details.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

Hey, Gen Con attendees! I wrote a Breakfast Cult adventure for Gen Con on request, and I'm wondering if anyone else would like to run it. It's Fate Accelerated if that matters. :buddy:

I could run it but I'm already running 3 ticketed games. Can I just run a pick up goon game for free*?

*Nothing is ever free with goons.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ettin posted:

Sure, if you want! I'll send you the thing :getin:

Not only am I enthusiastic about running Breakfast Cult, I'm also a backer!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Seeing that Vampire the Eternal struggle lot made me perk up but then I remember that I have 14 decks already and never play anymore.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 26, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Half my stuff is with my friend who drove but I was able to get a good amount of Cthulhu and Glorantha stuff.

Guide to Glorantha Vol. 1-2
King of Sartar
Horror on the Orient Express
7th Edition CoC Dice
Dreamhounds of Paris
The Book of Ants
Trail of Cthulhu screen
A note board
Fate dice

I got the Guide, CoC dice, and Horror at auction for about $100 cheaper than msrp. The Ennies auction is awesome.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Fine. I met Tom Vassal. Jealous now?

Did he yell at you like his kids?

That reminds me, I need to look into going to Dive Tower Con this year.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sadly no. He was polite, thoughtful and a good guy to talk with. It's hard to hate people when they are nice folks in person, regardless how shallow and shoddily produced their show may be.

Dice Tower isn't that bad and I'm sure he usually is personable. He's also still miles ahead of some of the notables "honored" at Gencon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

djfooboo posted:

They were there. I had to explain to my fiancé what they were.

It must have been awkward trying to convince your fiancé to bring another woman into the bedroom in such a public forum.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They really should just put the Magic card buyers in the card game auditorium.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
FFG really just needs a kiosk displaying all their preview and just announced stuff and then their own room elsewhere in the convention center. Last year the line at least died down to the point where you could just walk in but I don't think that happened this year. Even on Sunday in the early afternoon there was still a line. Doesn't really make sense to even be in the dealer's hall if it's a walled off store you can't really look into or access.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Keep the faith my friends! Keep alive the dream of the downtown hotel!

:Returns inside ivory tower with VIG Companion friend.:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They should just use Lucas Oil as a shanty town and tent city. It'll be somewhere between Fallout 4 and the execution scene from the Omega Man.

5XL shirts will make excellent tents and you can all get in on the ground floor of my new pet project, the utili-ger.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Usually they get sent out around July if I'm remembering correctly.

I don't think they sell out of anything other than VIG and VIG Companion passes, which have a finite amount.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As someone who has never actually won the housing Thunderdome, what kinda rooms can you get through it? Prices, locations, etc?

And uh, how strictly do they enforce that 1-2 people per badge thing?

The Thunderdome covers all of the downtown hotels though I think there are a couple small ones not in it. Prices differ based on the hotel. The JW is of course going to be more expensive than the La Quinta Inn down by the prison.

They might have raised the rates too. I don't think we'll know until Tina Turner repels down from that ceiling.

EDIT:

I don't think they strictly enforce it unless you're cramming a dozen gamers into a room. How many people are you planning on cramming into a room?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 23, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How can you all fit your body pillows in there with you? Seems like a logistics nightmare.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

My personal recommendation is Flaveli, the indian buffet place that's on S Meridian. Its very chill and has great food and is cheap as heck.

I'm seconding this.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm starting a new job so I'm not 100% sure I can go. I'm sure I'll be able to go but I'm ready for the possible disappointment of not being able to attend.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

GroupMe seems to have settled on Make America d8 Again.

:perfect:

I really need to get in on the GroupMe chat but I'm finishing up on my summer semester. After that it'll be all about Gencon.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Here's a version in blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

It was a very Ken and Robin Gencon. I already owned these in PDF but decided to get the physicals since there wasn't much I had to get that I couldn't get later. Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan is also a cool dude and signed Dracula Unredacted in character, as did Ken Hite. Even though the ENNIES are pretty bad at times, I'm glad Pelgrane stuff and Feng Shui swept it because it's not derivative Pathfinder, OSR, or 5E stuff.

• Locked thread