Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Holy poo poo, I made it somewhere near an OP!

:parrot:

Oh yeah, in other random advice I can give:

1. If you really want to go to a specific event, pre-reg for it. If it's a popular event (Like True Dungeon is) then you really need to be online when event registration opens because True Dungeon sells out fast. I've never been myself - other goons can probably attest to its quality/fun.

2. Get a decent number of generic tickets (but not too many). These are really useful for random things like hopping in on random board games that are being run by some of the retailers, or getting into piece of advice #3. What they lack in priority, they more than make up for in flexibility.

3. Go to the board game library. It's relatively cheap in terms of generic ticket cost (and if you're so inclined, you can also pre-reg for it) and it's pretty amazing. The collection is truly massive and it's a great way to meet new nerds or learn a game that you don't exactly know how to play, your admission lasts for a staggering amount of time, and once you're in you can come and go as you please. It is also, in my opinion, a terrific meeting place for people because it is in a very set, very definite location (although it's still really funny to try to meet up with people and tell them that you're standing under the sheep on dice).

4. If you go to the dealer's hall, for the love of god don't wait an hour plus just to play the new hotness of the convention (which in 2014 was Dead of Winter, which the Board Game thread here has deemed as solidly 'meh' to 'bleh' and definitely not better than other games in the same style like Battlestar Galactica). Instead if you see an open spot, take the open spot. I ended up playing what is now probably one of my favorite board games ever, Tragedy Looper, simply because I saw two open spots at the table for my girlfriend and I and we sat down to play that instead of waiting for Dead of Winter. Try as many demos as you can, as opportunistically as possible.

5. If there's one day you should go to the dealer's hall, go for the last two hours Saturday. Sure, it's generic advice for just about any convention. Yeah, it'll be crazy, but everyone is going to try to offload their stuff so you can cut some crazy deals (but not from the major publishers - Fantasy Flight's stuff costs the same on Thursday as it does on Saturday). I picked up a box divider for Eldritch Horror + the Forbidden Lore expansion that fit the cards in sleeves from Tom Vasel's friend for $20. The guy sells it on his website for $40+. Vasel himself almost let me have it for free on the condition that I would, Scout's Honor, pay him back for it via PayPal. (If you must know, I ran to my GF, got $20 of our money, and paid him for it right there instead of jumping through BS hoops)

6. There is simply too much to do at GenCon - you can't do it all. But I guarantee you that you will find something that you like to do, and odds are you can find a way to do it the entire convention and hone your con experience into pure reward. If you want to try everything but you can't, you can always go again next year and do more!

7. I'm surprised Quarex hasn't mentioned it yet, but I was a bad frogger last year and I did not go to T.O.V.A. I haven't gone to T.O.V.A., but I hear tell that you should go to T.O.V.A. Do what I did not in 2014. Listen to Quarex. Go to T.O.V.A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

nesbit37 posted:

Potential technology problems aside, this all sounds fine to me. Last year was horrible. I am still confused why so many people booked friday only when they had 4 day badges, since you can't even get into the hotel reg system without a 4 day badge. When I could drive to Gen Con none of this hotel stuff was a worry, but now that I have to fly it keeps me up at night worse than if I had a mindflayer sleeping under my bed.

The big issue is going to be getting a hotel next to the convention center. It's beyond me why people reserved for specific days, but the nerd logic probably goes to take someplace pricey downtown for the days that are really important (Thurs/Fri) and then try to save money by staying in a cheap place far away from the unimportant days. I don't know, really. I know that the way it ended up parsing out was that people could wind up staying in a different hotel every night and the way they got booked encouraged this behavior. I'm just happy I found a place last year for all of the nights even though it was 7 miles away.

All in all, I foresee this - it will be a net improvement for network traffic because people will be using the system for less time overall. If you can just click on a hotel and be done, that's great, and it will discourage that weird behavior where people will take a $300/night hotel for one night, take a $250/night one for another night, then settle on a $150/night hotel for about two nights. You either commit to it all up front or not at all.

Of course, if attendance trends continue the way they are there are going to be a lot more people using the system this year. I did some extremely reliable back-of-napkin math and estimated that if Gen Con attendance trends continue, based on an very limited sample of 2012, 2013, and 2014, there should be about 63,400 people this year. This is based on some incredible assumptions though, like that there will be growth and it will follow a pattern or something like that.

Either way if you're reading this thread, you should be one of those people! There's a reason why more people are going to Gen Con, and that is precisely because it is awesome.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

nesbit37 posted:

I would say virtually none unless you find someone with a room already that wants another roommate. There will probably be some rooms that magically open up in late June through early July as people's plans are really solidified but they will be few and probably get snatched up fast.

Its crazy how much these cons are growing and no one seems to know what to do about it. Even though it has 1/100th the attendance of Gen Con, Gary Con is running into the same issues and having a public discussion on what to do about it. Some of the responses just seem ludicrous (lets charge $500 for a badge so you only go if you really really want to and don't have to fly in or want to eat for the week!).

http://garycon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430

I'm seriously wondering if GenCon West is going to rise from the grave now.

Mad Fnorder posted:

So, I didn't have the best housing lottery luck. I heard that once VIG is officially done they'll throw the remaining scraps back into the pool. Anyone have an idea what the timeline on that is?

Don't quote me on this, but I think that ship has sailed. Normally how VIG works is they approach all of the VIG holders from the previous year and ask them if they want to buy again. Whatever they don't buy goes into the limited pool of VIG passes that go on sale... Maybe around the same time regular badges do? There are so few of them that they inevitably sell out in less than a minute. I don't think they ever release more into the wild after passes initially go on sale (but I could be wrong).

That's the only way it would make sense with the priority housing purchases since that's the main reason why you would probably want a VIG pass in the first place (and the swag/privileges at the con second).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You could always do what my friend does and sleep in your car every night! (do not do this)

We could probably make a list of the gooniest things you should NOT do at GenCon, this being one of them.

The other being, of course, to not shower. Although if you're sleeping in your car, I think you are also probably not going to shower either (but not for a lack of trying, I hope).

Always take a shower every day at the con. It's the right thing to do.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I read a bunch of articles too. I liked it when they mentioned that the convention center was expanded specifically to fit Gen Con, but then they wrote something along the lines of "...but what they really want to do is lure the NRA convention back to Indy".

Still, pretty proud that Gen Con LLC is basically taking a stand and saying that any law that allows people to discriminate against con-goers is absolute bullshit. First, because it's the truth. Second, it's the right thing to take a stand against.

I would be interested to see if it migrated to the Cleve, though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Len posted:

Cleveland would be nice because that's only an hour away from me. But then on the other hand not only would I still be in Ohio I would be in Cleveland.

Hey man, I lived in Cleveland for four years! Honestly though, I can understand your enthusiasm. I have plenty of friends who feel the same way you do.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Cleveland though, as it is the city that I love to hate (because part of me does love it despite its obvious flaws).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bucnasti posted:

That's what I expect, it will get challenged and overturned, by the time Gen Con has to make a decision the law will already be gone. The governor gets to pander to his base and the only people who actually lose out are the Indy taxpayers who have to cover the massive court costs, but of course that will be forgotten by the time he needs to run again. The exact same thing has played out in other states for other stupid issues over and over.

While this may be the case, other cities would be foolish not to take notice. $250 million in revenue over five years for a mere five weekends is nothing to scoff at. The fact that Mike Pence was so quick to write that off to pander to a base does not bode well for his tenure. This is before calculating any other hypothetical costs that such legislation would incur, like the loss of migrants, the loss of tourists, the loss of business (Salesforce is an already-measurable cost), and other negative externalities. I'm sure this is going to affect a lot of people's decisions about where they decide to go to college in the future, for instance, both in-state and out-of-state.

All I'm saying is, if I were a mayor of a city in a state that could brag about more progressive laws right now, I would be calling Gen Con's phone until I got through.

Probably the biggest obstacle in overturning the law is the fact that Indiana's legislature is very much conservative and the supreme and appellate judges are appointed by the Governor - and said office has been relatively conservative for the past 10 years (with the first Voter ID law in the country being passed under Governor Pence's predecessor).

I'm hopeful that this all blows over, but somewhat doubtful that they'll come to their senses by 2021.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Honestly, I think it will have a minimal impact on the con this year. The people living in Indianapolis know by now that GenCon = $$$ and in general, decent people - many people on this thread have talked about how GenCon is one of, if not the most, the more polite and well-behaved conventions.

I think people are taking cheap shots at GenCon when they get angry about them not pulling out immediately. GenCon is not a solitary business - it is a huge concentration of businesses that are all relying on the convention as part of sales and marketing cycles. On top of that, they're contractually obligated to be there until 2020 and unless businesses in Indianapolis are refusing to serve staff/exhibitors, I don't think they'll have good grounds for breaking the contract.

As a reminder, I am not a legal expert. I did not go to law school. I cannot provide legal advice. Take what I said with a grain of salt especially considering that I cannot read the contract.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bucnasti posted:

That's nearly a word for word quote from one of my friends posts, and then somebody responded that Gen Con should spare no expense to get out of the contract, find a new venue immediately and relocate all the attendees if they were really serious about this issue. :bang:
People don't understand the scope of something like this.

This is absolutely correct. At the moment, exhibitors have space, people are creating events, hotels are reserved, and plans are being more or less set in stone. If that person wants to pay for breaking the contract (which is probably to the order of many, many millions of dollars especially if the contact includes a clause about lost revenue for the city), pay to relocate all of our hotel rooms (for 50,000+ people), pay for the new accommodations plus the penalties for trying to reserve space in convention centers that are all booked solid for the year, etc. etc. etc., then they should totally move the convention somewhere else this year!

I mean, I don't even have a complete understanding of the scope but it's already pretty clear from just that that GenCon is an enormous operation that you can't just pick up and move. Maybe Gary Con can do that, but not GenCon.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Texibus posted:

I'd actually prefer walking distance (like everyone else) and figured the shuttles are more reliable in the 5 mile range than the 12. I refuse to go through the horror of trying to park a car every day.

We didn't really have a problem getting into any of the garages, though you might be about 5-10 blocks away depending on when you arrive in the AM. Besides, the odds are good that your car will be faster and if it's not too inconvenient, represents a place to drop off stuff in the middle of the day.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would sacrifice three stuffed rabbits for a list of the new board games/things being released at Gen Con.

Go and just enjoy! Honestly, the best board game I came across at Gen Con last year was Tragedy Looper. Never heard of it before and it looked like they got some animes in my boardgames, but I was tired of waiting an hour for a Dead of Winter demo and there were two open seats - one for me and one for my now-fiancee.

It just blew me away. Easily the best new boardgame at the con, in my opinion, and I just stumbled across it by luck.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Thanks to the goon who pointed out the Delta Green games. Managed to snag spots for my fiancee and I before anyone noticed!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Merauder posted:

They do demos, and yes, usually their demo area is pretty full. New games always have lines (Armada last year for example), but if you can't get in to actually play a demo or you don't want to wait, it's usually pretty easy to perch next to an active demo and just watch for a while.

In terms of demos, I would avoid anything with Plaid Hat. Last year, even with Dead of Winter, they insisted that their demos be full games (which can take an hour plus, obviously) so there was a lot of waiting around for nothing going on since it was the 'hotness' of the show.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fordan posted:

Is there a point to purchasing games at GenCon vs at home, other than GenCon launches? Awesome deals, great promos, etc?

GenCon might have a better selection of games than your FLGS.

I say might because it's entirely possible that it might not, depending on what exactly you're looking for.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

8one6 posted:

It's a running joke from our first Gen con tips episode in 2011. I make no apologies in the war against unwashed nerds.

Isn't it called the 3-2-1 rule? Sleep for at least 3 hours, eat at least 2 full meals in a day, and shower at least once a day?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sionak posted:

I guess I'll list (in brief) the stuff I'm putting in the Auction/Store as well.

Auction:
- Warhammer 2nd edition RPG corebook

I know a goon who is fairly interested in this - if it is indeed Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition, I might want to take that off your hands/put you in touch with him.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If you are staying in the Hampton Inn at Circle Center and you put maple syrup all over your smoked sausage, I just want to let you know that your goony act did not go unnoticed. Nor did it go uncelebrated.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lord Frisk posted:

Why would you not? Sausages are like little miracles, and covering them in syrup is like an affirmation of gods love.

I told my friends and fiancee and we agreed that though thoroughly goony, it was a noble act that did indeed affirm god's love.

Also, totally not a fan of one of the guys working the Obsidian booth who was really super dismissive (and somewhat negative about it) of the fact that Josh Sawyer is a goon.

Someone overhead me grousing about this to my fiancee and he turned around and asked me if I was talking about SomethingAwful. I confirmed my status and he turned around and wistfully stated "I love this convention." If you are around, that was very much appreciated :)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Car crew 2015 roll call

#AtleastWVhasterrain

Regardless, second year of GenCon, a lot of lessons continue to be learned. I've experienced the con with a huge group and a small group now, so I feel that there are some recommendations that I can make!

-If you have a SO, do some of the spousal activities, specifically the dancing. Had lots of fun there.
-Do events. Don't worry about the money, just do them. A lot of the RPGs are pretty good and the SO and I had a great time playing Delta Green. She mulched some inept wizards (or is it wizzards because they are inept?) with a grenade launcher, and we loved the concept of the adventure (the cult cell was very poorly run and would have collapsed without any Delta Green intervention. We literally just made things worse).
-The Games Library seems great on paper, but it relies on having a few things. You need an agenda (an idea of what game you might want to play that you don't have) and a decent group (at least four in my experience). There is no way you're going to get the time value out of the library considering its 12-hour intervals take place during some very important times (for the evening sleep, for the day the dealer's hall).

-Take an evening to have a nice sit-down dinner to decompress. Preferably Saturday. There's a lot going on at the convention and by Saturday you could very well be exhausted. Just take the time, clear the schedule for a good dinner, and enjoy.

The only unfortunate thing this year is that my DG session took place during TOVA and I could not go to see the magic of TOVA.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bottom Liner posted:

The Gencon ball started out as the most awkward thing I've ever seen but quickly turned into a great time. Just took a bit of booze and some actual dance music to bring out the fun.

I realize that it is a DIFFERENT KIND OF DANCING, but I highly recommend shelling out for the beginning dance classes at Gen Con. I've had various people try to teach me how to ballroom/swing dance over the years, but nobody seems to realize that I have literally no experience doing it and that you have to start me from scratch. They really do get that we're all nerds with no dance experience (if you sign up for the beginner courses) and start you out nicely from there, and I ended up having a really great time.

djfooboo posted:

I played a demo of Arcadia Quest where the drat demoer kept telling us what to do instead of letting us play the drat game.

We tried a demo of Incredible Expeditions and some sperglord came over and kept trying to tell my fiance what to do, even though my friend standing next to her was making a few more mistakes. I want to give a shout-out to the guy demoing, because he understood what was going on, calmly stated to him that my fiance could decide on whatever it was that she wanted to do, and then politely asked him to stop putting all of his weight on the table because the table wasn't very sturdy (I could feel the surface shaking). I know you can always expect a few at GenCon, but still. Nevertheless, we had a great time! They were very nice people and quite affable even though they had to demo that thing all day.

Bottom Liner posted:

Overall I had a great first Gencon and look forward to next year!

There's so much to do at Gen Con that you could probably do something different every single year/day and never get tired - there's literally that much stuff going on! And there's still a lot to do even if you don't want to pay money for events, too. I'll draft up an after-action report soon...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I feel like they make the housing lottery worse every year. Surviving the worst of it makes you a Gen Con veteran.

Followed my advice from last year and had a room at the Conrad Hilton around Christmas. You really have to get those rooms early, even with preferential treatment from the hotel chain, or they'll all be gone by the time you get around to it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Syntaxed posted:

I think the best tip for first timers is to not overload your event schedule. Just register for a few things you really have always wanted to do and then have time to walk around and soak in all the nerd.

You should do True Dungeon although my experience with it wasn't great, it is still pretty cool and it might be awesome since they moved this year.

The Games Library can be a lot of fun if you have a solid group of 4-8 people, but unless you're super social and like meeting strange people all of the time it's not a very good option and can actually wind up being a huge timesink.

Also, the times are really inconvenient. The 6pm - 6am timeslot is deceptive, as some of that time is taken up by doing important things like EATING and SLEEPING, which are two things you should not forget to do. The 6am to 6pm timeslot runs into other important eating activities, but also a lot of purchasing activities and events as well.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

For those who are interested, Arc Dream's Delta Green games just hit the event catalog.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I feel like this thread, compared to last year's thread, has been much slower to build up to a fever pitch over Gen Con and its goings on. C'mon - it's less than two months away now, and events have already gone up (and promptly been sold out)!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Looks like my small group and I are rounding the bases on Cthulhu-based RPGs. We've got one session of Trail, one session of Delta Green, one for CoC 6th, and now thanks to the recent posting another of CoC 7th.

In particular, the CoC 6th event we got into looks... Interesting. It's The Horror on New Year's Eve, and it looks like it's a multi-GM, multi-group game. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

saint gerald posted:

You can get into the game library/pick up and play room with generics. I kinda doubt capacity is much of an issue.

This isn't exactly 100% true. Capacity is actually an issue around peak times in the early evening until around 9-10pm. During that period, they only let people in who have tickets specifically for the game library and they don't accept generics.

saint gerald posted:

Short version is there's shitloads of space all over town for games to break out in spontaneous fashion and personally I would not bother with the game library.

But this is pretty much 100% true. I think the games library is actually a great idea if you're roving around with a medium-sized band of people who have enough players to play just about any game optimally without needing extra people to fill in. I think it's a great idea if you want to play something completely random that you might not find in the dealer's hall because it's old. From experience though, I don't think it's a great option for 1-3 people - you don't have enough people to be able to play most games by yourself and you'll need pubbies to fill in. These people can vary wildly in terms of quality.

In other words, we have a GroupMe and there's plenty of space all throughout the building/in rooms. You probably don't need to pay the price to go into the games library when you can pretty much hit up random goons to get a game or two in.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

frgildan posted:

So I just joined the groupme. This will be my first Gen Con anyone have advice for a newbie?

Quarex covers a lot in the OP, it's definitely worth reading.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I don't want to, but I am getting a little bit hyped for Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. I will definitely be trying it on the show floor before I even contemplate buying it, since it's $100.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bottom Liner posted:

Gencon prices are pretty dumb. You'd think you'd get a deal since they're cutting out the middle men but nope, full retail or higher. I mainly use it to demo stuff then place a big order at CSI later. I do enjoy hunting promos and deals though.

The one thing I typically like to buy at Gen Con are RPG rulebooks with the creators/writers selling them to you. I have no qualms about paying full MSRP to Chaosium or Arc Dream because I'd rather they have the money and I can get them to sign the book right there. That's worth the paying full market price on the show floor, in my opinion.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Definitely their card games. I remember seeing the pictures when Netrunner released when all the sets were gone the very first day (and probably within the first three hours).

That's why I'm not going to go for SeaFall this year. There will be terrible lines, it will sell out on the first day, and we have no idea if it's going to be any good. It'll be like Dead of Winter all over again.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Seldon posted:

...running some 40 hours of Pathfinder Society over 4 days.

That's punishment enough.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

When and where is the trivia again? I'd ask the GroupMe, but I feel like it would be deluging phones with a question they've answered a hundred times.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Arrived early this morning, went to Patachou's for lunch and had the apple fritter french toast. Highly recommend, in addition to the copious amounts of coffee that they offer.

See you nerds at the Colts Grille tonight! This is my third Gen Con, but the first that I actually arrived in advance and I get to spend the whole Thursday doing things at the con!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Backno posted:

What the hell happened to trivia? They even had it scrolling on their tv menu boards in the bar.

Other goons know the story better, but this much I gathered:

Colts Grille is under new management. They decided to move the trivia event from Wednesday night (where for us it was a bonus and wasn't competing with anything) to Thursday night at 7:30p (where it is concurrent with a lot of events and is competing for Glorious Goon Time). I heard that some of us will still be going to the trivia today, but others (like myself) already have things going on at that time so... welp.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

GenCon post-mortem:

The wife and I met goons Wednesday at the Tilted Kilt. Congratulations - you got us farther along on the path to drunk than we had been for a long time! (note to others - if you hang with goons at GenCon, I hope your liver is prepared or you brought a replacement one) We were, however, sorely disappointed that new management at the Colts Grille seems to think that scheduling trivia on Thursday, when they have to compete with the entire convention, is a good idea. Shout out to the goons who made Make America d8 Again happen!

Thursday we avoided the dealer's hall madness and enjoyed a slow breakfast. We were very amused to hear that the VIGs bought every single copy of SeaFall before the doors even opened to the general public. Plaid Hat seems to really get off on having a game sell out the first day and ensuring they have no more stock for the rest of the convention. We eventually went to the dealer's hall and bought ~$75 worth of tea and talked with Greg Stolze for the first time at the convention. We playtested the Delta Green scenario The Star Chamber (which he wrote) for him and Shane Ivey, so we had a lot to talk about! Picked up a copy of Trail of Cthulhu for a friend, and also bought both expansions for Galaxy Trucker. In addition, I picked up Call of Cthulhu 7th in hardback. A different friend (one who came to the con with us) bought Mansions of Madness. We were scheduled for a Trail of Cthulhu session that afternoon/evening, but the GM backed out and didn't tell anybody. Apparently, Pelgrane Press caught wind of this and were quite upset. Instead, we played Mansions of Madness. First impressions - it is goooooooood. It's probably the best app-boardgame integration I've seen, and definitely a welcome one since it frees everyone to play the game and enables FFG to randomize the game for replay value. My wife and I also made copious amounts of soap that day at a hand-pour soapmaking event filed under 'spousal activities'.

Friday we enjoyed a slow breakfast again and went off to the Tango (the dance) event at around noon. We then went around the dealer's hall again where I met Scott Glancy, Robin Laws, and Rob Heinsoo. I really liked talking to Scott Glancy and Rob Heinsoo is pretty much the coolest designer ever. Robin Laws is definitely one of those awe-inspiring figures in the RPG world, but he's a little harder to engage in conversation. I am inclined to blame that on him needing to be at so many different events and seminars at the convention more than anything, though. Picked up A Distant Plain from CSI. Later that evening we played a six-group Call of Cthulhu 6th edition scenario called 'Horror on New Year's Eve'. I have many stories to tell about this scenario, but it would be a hideously long read. Needless to say though my wife, my friend, and I enjoyed it.

Saturday was a bit rushed, as we forgot to set the alarm clock and had to race to our first session, The Cthulhu 500. All in all, I really like how CoC 7th is actually a new edition compared to the changes from 5th to 6th. Also, the books are goddamn gorgeous compared to CoC 6th, which is a bit of an ugly book in many respects. I give all props to Sandy Petersen for actually getting CoC 7th made, printed, and shipped out the door in the condition (color pages, illustrations, etc.) as promised in the Kickstarter. At any rate, the scenario was great and as the Nosy Neighbor I went temporarily nuts and hid myself in a closet since the window was not an option available to me. I also may have made off with a vial of cocaine and a vial of laudanum, all the while presented the crooked ledgers to the police. I also played in a One Ring session as part of a group of Rohirrim, and the One Ring system is certainly interesting. Although I think we were somewhat hobbled by not having a diverse fellowship. Regardless, we then finished the night by playing THE STAR CHAMBER for Delta Green 2nd with a really cool keeper and a good fourth player. For those who weren't able to make it despite my GroupMe pings, you missed out on a very cool session. Greg Stolze really went all-out on writing the scenario and it's an amazing piece of player-driven role-playing (to the point where it's almost performance art).

I started and finished Sunday quickly by blitzing the Arc Dream booth where I got Shane Ivey, Greg Stolze, and Dennis Detwiller to sign my Keeper's Screen for Delta Green (Scott Glancy signed it on Friday). Scott Glancy also gave me my Delta Green scenario book which I bought from him on Friday and promptly forgot at the booth - he is also awesome for remembering me and getting it back to me! I also made a mad dash for Pelgrane to get Rob Heinsoo to sign my copy of 13th Age which I had him sign right there, and I also met Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan very briefly and found myself immediately thrown off by his thick Irish brogue. I am not thrown off, however, by the good work he's done for Paranoia (which I thanked him for).

This was my third year at GenCon, and I think it's the closest my wife and I have come to doing it 'right' in our book.

I'm happy to elaborate on anything anyone is curious about anything I've seen/done/bought.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Junkie Disease posted:

Who are all those name drops?

They are RPG designers and writers, which makes them cool and good. Of note and in no particular order:

Rob Heinsoo - D&D 4th, 13th Age, and apparently Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China, which was emblazoned on everyone's lanyards. Also worked on King of Dragon Pass.
Robin Laws: GUMSHOE System, Trail of Cthulhu, Esoterrorists
Scott Glancy: Delta Green, head of Pagan Publishing
Greg Stolze: Unknown Armies, Reign, Delta Green 2nd
Dennis Detwiller: Delta Green, Godlike, now works at Monte Cook Games
Shane Ivey: Delta Green, Godlike
Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan: Paranoia, Esoterrorists

If you want someone else I met who is much less obscure, then...
Eugene Mirman: Comedian, Bob's Burgers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Glorantha is quite alive and well, indeed. It would also appear that Rob is working on 13th Age in Glorantha as we speak!

• Locked thread