Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Me and a friend are looking to go to GenCon next year. Looks like we will be staying within driving distance and I found a site called ParkWhiz that lets you buy a parking pass for the whole weekend at certain spots around downtown and I was wondering if anyone has used that site before and how legit it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Carteret posted:

I parked at Lucas Stadium the whole weekend. All day parking cost 10 bucks a day, with the exception being Friday when they're was a One Direction concert. That day it was 25 bucks. If you pay mote than that your spot better be within a block of the ICC or you are paying too much.

How far is Lucas Oil Stadium from the convention?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
How early are you guys getting there? I figured it would fill up fast.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Andarel posted:

There's a lot of leeway somehow. We got there at 8:30 one day and it was empty, 11 on sunday and still lots of spots.

Wow that sounds better then paying a bunch in advance for a parking pass.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Any suggestions for hotels outside of downtown or is it just grab what you can?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Carteret posted:

Grab what you can/what you can afford with the housing lottery. I got a decent, quiet 92 a night room about 20 minutes drive from ICC. It was inconvenient to have to drive instead of just walking out of my hotel room door to get to the convention, but I was part of #CarCrew2015 so driving wasn't an issue.

I was looking at spending about $100 per night also didn't know there was a lottery. I'm guessing that's for the rooms connected to the convention or something or does Gencon just control the reservations for that weekend in all the hotels?

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 9, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Was able to snag a room within a mile of the convention center. This is my first time going so it's a shot in the dark and will probably end up horrible but hey it's all part of the experience.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm glad I was able to find a downtown room already because it sounds like a headache going through that whole process. Is preregistration in January and does it save the hassle of waiting in that huge line at the convention?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I booked a hotel within a mile in August either it was a great find or a loving shithole and I'll regret it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Do the 4 day badges sell out at all or do they just sell as many as they can? I want to wait until the 30th to grab my tickets.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I've got a room in the Westin, but GenCon rate is cheaper.

I figured it was more expensive but the security of knowing it's done was worth it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I need a good survival guide for GenCon, this is me and my friends first year going.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Is it worth it to pack my car with games to take and then choose a few to take each day? Or is it too much hassle?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm about a mile walking distance from the convention center and I would like to play some games with goons and whoever but I think I'm more excited to see new games and see the booths. It seems like a lot for 4 days so my head is spinning trying to figure out what to do.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 5, 2016

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
As a first timer this event sign up stuff is a life confusing. Is it just extra stuff to do that doesn't include the developer booths in the showroom floor?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
For the Pick Up and Play Room do you have to buy tickets in advance and also what is the capacity for that thing? Is there also a general area to play games you are bringing that doesn't cost to get into or is that room the main spot for that kind of thing?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm bringing a few big games to play over the weekend, and I'd like to setup some groups/times here ahead of time. Last year devolved into a bunch of Resistance/Codenames/Buyers Hall dickery and while that was fun, I want to do some serious gaming this year. Here's what I'm bringing, max player count, and an estimated time to play each, let me know if you're interested in any. I'll be around Wed-Sun

Kemet - 5 players - 2 hours
Blood Rage - 4 players - 1.5 hours
Arcadia Quest - 4 players - 1.5 hours/scenario, 6 hours for a full campaign
Roll for the Galaxy - 5 players - 1 hour
Keyflower - 6 players - 2 hours
Mottainai - 4 players - 30 minutes
Millenium Blades - 5 players - 2 hours
LotR LCG - 4 players - 1 hour

...plus any purchases I make while there. I'll also have some GoT LCG decks with me if anyone wants to play any time.

Me and a friend are coming to our first Gen con and the only thing we have planned is going to the showroom on Thursday. Basically we just want to play a bunch of games. I would be down for Kemet, Blood Rage and Arcadia Quest for sure and maybe Keyflower. He is usually ok with whatever so ill vouch for him too. We are arriving on Wed in the afternoon and staying until Sunday midday so pretty much any day works for us. We Wil probably want to avoid really late night if possible but if other people decide to play really late we won't hold it up. I'm on groupme under the same name.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 26, 2016

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

I leave for Gencon in 12 hours! I have a few days of work around the Southeast before heading to Indi so I packed everything tonight. I couldn't fit Blood Rage, but here's what's in my game bag:

Millennium Blades
Kemet
Arcadia Quest
Steampunk Rally
Keyflower
A Game of Thrones LCG
ONUW + Daybreak
Mottainai
Tiny Epic Galaxies

We have plans to play some of them Wed and Thurs evening, but I'm pretty much available all weekend as well.

I'll be available Thursday after the showroom closes and all the the rest of the weekend. I'd like to try a whole campaign of Arcadia Quest if that's not to daunting and Kemet is the one game on that list I want to try the most.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

Awesome. I think we have 4 for a campaign now. Kemet will definitely be happening a lot, it's one of my favorites and easy to teach.

It's me and a friend, hopefully that doesn't put us over 4.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I've decided on the games I'm bringing and quite a few are 2 player for me and my friend but if anyone else wants to try them I don't mind letting goons have a go.

Star Wars: Rebellion
Twilight Struggle
Campaign Manager 2008
Rum and Bones
1st and Goal

Also bringing:
Battlestar Galactica - goon game already in the works
Marvel Legendary or Villains
Roll for the Galaxy
Run, Fight or Die
Sushi Go

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 1, 2016

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I made it out with no sickness at all. In other news my wife got a hold of my program and saw all the different crafting seminars and were already planning a trip next year together.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ilor posted:

I felt OK at the game (although it was hot as hell in selnaric's gameroom, and I wonder if heat/dehydration didn't play a factor). I was little dizzy when I got home around midnight, but wrote it off as hunger/sleep deprivation, so I had a couple granola bars, chugged some water, and went to bed. But I woke up at 3 AM and couldn't walk, and was vomiting so hard that at one point only blood was coming up - that was a new one for me. Double-plus un-cool. At first I thought for sure I was strokin' out. I've been through a lot of weird poo poo over the years - broken bones, cracked ribs, separated ribs, crushed tear duct, norovirus (made me wish I was dead), kidney stones, testicular torsion. I'm 80% certain I've had West Nile. I once thought I had a detached retina that turned out to be an ocular migraine, which is a totally fuckin' weird experience. I even got lit on fire in 8th grade science class. But this one was scary because I literally had no idea what the gently caress was wrong with me.

Also, do you have any idea how hard it is to not give a little nod or shake of your head every time someone asks you a yes/no question? The EMTs and med staff were super perfunctory and professional, but they kept asking me diagnostic questions and every time I was like, "nah, I don't do recreational drugs," or "yeah, I can still feel my feet" or whatever, that little nod or shake would immediately set me to spinning and vomiting again. Fuckers.

Holy poo poo dude I'm surprised you are still alive.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Just booked my room for next year in the same hotel I stayed in this year. Had a really great stay this year and if you don't mind the 10 min walk it's only $165 a night. For some reason it's not part of the portal and is about 3/4 of a mile away from the convention.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

And uh, which hotel is that?

La Quinta Inn Downtown Indianapolis. I was skeptical when i booked it last year but it was a pretty good hotel with a decent hot breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
I booked my hotel that's a mile away months ago like I did last year. For some reason they are never full up when I try.

• Locked thread