Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm trying to go again this year (last year was my first!) but it all hinges on whether we can get a good downtown hotel again and my wife not murdering me for going 2 years in a row. I had an absolute blast and want to make it an every year pilgrimage, only this year we're flying instead of driving from NC to IN.

I learned a lot from last year- bring comfortable shoes, try to bring my own food to avoid spending so much money on eating, and that it's pretty pointless to bring my own games since last year all my group played was stuff we bought there. I'm also debating on using a technique someone told me for saving on luggage space- take older clothes I don't mind parting with and donate them to local homeless folks before I leave, use luggage to bring back loot. That or I'll do what a lot of the neckbeards I was stuck in close proximity with last year apparently did and not change clothes for 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

My group was all trying today, best queue was 8 minutes with everyone else 2-3 hours. The portal screwed up and wouldn't let him do anything. Tech support was "trying" last I heard but that was hours ago so more than likely we're staying out by the airport. Kinda hate that, I liked being in the Crowne last year, if I decided I wanted to walk to the room to drop stuff off/use the bathroom I could in 20 minutes round trip.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

So tell me about options riding in from the airport area. I've heard the shuttles suck and cabs can be expensive. Is there a city bus or something?

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Definitely avoid the temptation to fill your day. I did last year and wound up skipping 3 events so I'd have enough time to see all of the dealer hall and auction. And leave some meal time.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

So yes, I got all the rooms I 'need' in the hotel I wanted (the JW) but I don't have enough beds. Doubles were not even available to us. We're uhh.. still trying to sort that one out.

We were at the Crowne last year and they gave us an extra rollaway bed on request. Coupled with one of us bringing an air mattress we all had our own place to sleep, albeit a tiny bit short on floor space

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I hope they sell official Gencon Detroit bulletproof vests! :v:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, you've never been to Detroit.

And I likely never will considering it's the top violent city in America for its population size

quote:

Detroit, Michigan

Murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate per 100,000 people: 45

Total murders and non-negligent manslaughters: 316

Violent crime rate per 100,000 people: 2,072

Total violent crimes: 14,504

Population: 699,889

All data from FBI's 2013 Uniform Crime Report.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I honestly think the whole Gencon threat is moot anyway, with the exponential growth over recent years it will outgrow Indy by 2020.

That said, I wish there was somewhere closer to my house to host it, the drive is bad enough already.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I never really had to wait anywhere last year, I just had a tendency to go at weird times between normal meals and would be in line 10 minutes tops at Noodles and Co.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

When is event signup? that's later, right?

I believe it's on the 17th, so a week from Sunday

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

CaptainRat posted:

My dark secret last year is that every day I went back to the hotel room for a mid-day nap before wandering back over to do stuff. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy Gencon.

This is the main reason I'm bummed we couldn't get a room near the convention center this year. Last year I could get to the Crowne in 15 minutes tops if I needed to rest (or poop in a clean bathroom).

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

What time is the Colts Grill trivia thing? I missed it last year due to my group having reservations for dinner at St Elmo's, but would like to make it this year if possible. I don't think I've ever met any goons.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I was around 2900, moved to 2128 as of now. My buddy who usually meticulously plans a schedule and gets screwed every year said "screw it" and just made a random wishlist. This year he is 241 in queue :facepalm:

I will never get in a GenCon Paranoia game :(

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Yeah don't sweat missing registering for every event you wanted, I'd say maybe half the games I was in last year had at least 1 person with a generic. Not to mention I skipped 3 events myself due to dealer hall wandering and sleeping off alcohol.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

This is the year where I finally out myself as a goon, I just know it

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I bought a lot at CoolStuff's booth last year. While WOTC had DnD 5e players handbook for $50 CSI had it for $35

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

From what little I've read it seems so. Sadly, as much as I like Ghostbusters I'll skip that.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Does anyone have any particular healthy / salad-y places to recommend for food during Gen Con?

We always eat a ton of good but junky food and I would like to be a bit healthier this year and was wondering if there were some recommendations for places that are actually healthy and tasty.

There's a Subway a couple of blocks from the convention center. Maybe not healthy but certainly salady.

I'm doing a majorly budget trip this year, considering taking the jug of change in my room, hit Coin Star to convert it and get a Subway $25 gift card and live off that.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I left more free time this year so hopefully I'll get to meet some goons. Last year I was busy all day every day with events and the dealer hall. But hey, this year I'm on a super budget trip so I can afford to buy things either! :toot:

Also we're stuck at a Marriott away from downtown so hopefully I can make friends to share cabs back with in the evening. :D

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Sadly we couldn't get a room at any of them and are at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport (or so I am told)

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I'm flying in tomorrow night, and my group of 4 will be at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport until Monday. I'll add myself to the group thing between now and tomorrow.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Sounds exciting, I'll be sure to try it. I wasn't a fan of last year's because I don't like coffee :(

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I survived my first flying experience. Will call to get our badges was too long so we decided to go to Killroy's and drink instead. Gencon!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

We have reservations at St Elmo's then we'll hit it. Will call is open 24 hours isn't it? Also drinking! Gencon!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Well, another Con down and another year I managed to not see any goons. Or as far as I know. I didn't schedule a lot of events but spent a lot of time demoing stuff and walking around. Staying out near the airport wasn't horrible thanks to Uber but I missed being downtown.

I think my favorites this year were Hoplomachus and WWE Superstar Showdown.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Tell me more about Hoplomachus. I saw it then I saw it had monster box expansions(versions maybe?) and I liked the general idea but the mass amount of chips overwhelmed me.

It's amazing but fairly pricy. There are 2 big boxes that I believe are both standalone plus Origins which is also standalone and has smaller maps and rules for quick 2 person games. The chips you use for your gladiators are heavy and high quality and the art is beautiful. It's very tactical and the game attack and move mechanics are well thought out. It also has a nice feature of as you earn Crowd Favor for kills, you move up a track and unlock more abilities. There are also special tactics tokens at each level that go to whoever is trailing in score (regardless of which side unlocked it) to keep one side from totally dominating the other. In our ticketed event we were trailing the entire game but the tactics helped us swing around and kill the other side's champions to win.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I had a footlong at Subway every day for breakfast. Cheap and filling enough that I could just eat one meal later. Of course now I don't want to eat subway for at least a month. It was also a nice alternative to offset what I spent at St Elmo's on Wednesday at least.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I didn't make it into the auction a single time this year :(

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I have to say, I encountered fewer rampant stank clouds this year, and I spent a lot of time in the dealer hall. Of course, this was offset by a smell of rear end and crotch cheese smell so thick from either a player or gm at one table that I left a game halfway through. I was gagging it was so bad.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

8one6 posted:

I managed to avoid the crud this year, though I did find a pothole in the sidewalk the hard way Sunday so I got to bring home a twisted ankle to walk around on for a few days.

I feel your pain, slipped on a wet lobby coming in the hotel Sunday night. No signs or anything, and when I told the front desk the response was "oh." Banged up my knee and hurt my already messed up back. Won't be using that particular Marriott ever again.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Yeah the guy in our group who was doing our booking had a super short wait then the system froze when he went to pick the room. By the time he got customer service to straighten it out everything was gone :(

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I took way fewer photos this year, and posted even less. They're on Instagram at pezfortytwo if anyone is interested :toot:

Maybe next year I'll find some goons. I forgot all about the group app this year.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I wish they'd go ahead and start using the stadium too. Put the artists over there, maybe the cosplay parade and large crowd events. And give big companies their own rooms for events and selling that they can lock up at night so the main hall has more variety instead of what's quickly going to become the same 50 booths every year.

And yeah, the card buyers need to be in the Magic area or something, I avoided them completely this year because the traffic was so bad with 500 nerds haggling over cards

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I watched it a few days ago but it had audio sync issues

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

nesbit37 posted:

They had those people who gamed the system the first 15 minutes or so and a few others with tech difficulties in the first 5 minutes, but after that it was pretty smooth

We were in that group with tech difficulties, my friend had something like an 8 minute wait and when he came up to get a room the system locked up on him and no amount of tech support talking would get us back in in time to get downtown. Staying out by the old airport wasn't horrendous except for having to carry stuff around all day and the cost of using Uber every evening. Also not being able to jet over to our room for a cleaner bathroom.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

I really want to buy a badge, but considering that the folks I go with aren't going this year it's highly unlikely I'll be able to go with no one to split a room with.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Watching this makes me sad

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

We were by the old airport and it wasn't too bad with uber. What made it better was one of our group invited the rest of us to uber, netting us all $20 credits. We took turns paying and I don't think we actually paid for a single ride all weekend because of the credit.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

My friends bailed on me this year so I couldn't afford to go it alone. I'm not posting out of bitterness and despair. Except now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

We used a lot of Uber last year. The cab from the airport was like 25 bucks while Uber was about half for the same distance with friendlier drivers.

• Locked thread