Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Crackbone posted:

Hanabi
Forbidden Island (with bonus deck of extra island layouts and roles printed at Artscow)
Ticket to Ride map packs

I'd be interested in these, depending on what you're looking to get for them. Hit me up on PM and we can chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My buddy (an Indianapolis native) and I are all signed up and ready to go now! We registered for a few events on Friday/Saturday, but I'm hoping we can find some cool PUG stuff with goons late into the night. I'm getting into Indy on Wednesday, so we'll be at nerd/goon trivia, too! How easy is it to use the PUG game room and find people to play with?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Deviant posted:

So I've been offered a badge and lodging for Gencon, as long as I get myself there and put in some night work hours.

Is it worth $300+Weekend Expenses+3 Days of Short Notice PTO time? I primarily play board games, some light M:TG, and tabletop RPG games, but I'm willing to try basically anything.

Yes. Even if you have a passing interest in board games, RPGs and CCG's it is way more than worth it.

edit: This is coming from someone who went on a whim for 1.5 days last year because I happened to be visiting friends in Indy and then turned around and planned a huge trip around it this year.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

rjderouin posted:

The best part about this one is the girl who modeled for it will be there she is a good friend of mine who is an actual beer maid I will introduce you!

In terms of what Krosmaster promo, which one do you want? I will give you pick of whatever I have in stock, if the person is a Wakfu fan I recommend one of the promo show characters.

If I get a promo, then walk around the "block" and come back with a mustache on, can I get another promo? :ninja:

Just kidding. But seriously I am pumped about these promos, as myself and fellow goon Troutimus are all about the Krosmaster.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Len posted:

I just looked up what Argent is and I'd like to know the answer to this question too.

Same here. I never heard of this game before, but now I definitely want to play. My buddy and I would be in for a goon game.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Guys I'm leaving for Indy in the morning and I am VERY EXCITED. My friend, his wife, my girlfriend and I will all be at Nerd Trivia tomorrow night! Hopefully my friend and I can get in on some goon pick-up games. We were overly responsible last year about turning in early, so this year I kind of want to GAME ALL NIGHT.

Also feel free to point and laugh at me as I lug around all the dumb Pathfinder Card Game stuff I'll inevitably buy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rad Valtar posted:

I need a good survival guide for GenCon, this is me and my friends first year going.

This thread is honestly a really good survival guide, just go back and read through it. Last year was my second Gen Con and my first year reading through this thread before going. This thread improved my experience 100% (and I'm not even counting FoodChat, since I go with a buddy who lives in Indy).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rad Valtar posted:

Is it worth it to pack my car with games to take and then choose a few to take each day? Or is it too much hassle?

It depends on if you can count on close parking or not, or what your situation is going to be. Nothing sucks more than being stuck carrying around some really heavy games with nowhere to stash them in between uses (like a close-by car or hotel room). It also depends on what you're looking to get out of it, I think. My buddy and I usually go with the purpose of trying out new games and so we only bring one or two games along with us to play with each other or to teach people who want to learn.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Texibus posted:

Yeah, I know it's broad. I just basically want to get a feel for that side of the hobby. I've tried a few times to get into shadow run and we lose interest almost immediately.

I'm going to piggyback off of this and ask: what are some good RPG systems to try out at Gencon that are different than 5e or Pathfinder? I GM Pathfinder bi-weekly and have played 5e before, but outside of that I don't have a lot of exposure to other systems. I'm pretty open to anything that would be a good experience regardless of if it's "rules light", crunchy, etc.

edit: Looks like Sigma-X might have answered my question.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions on RPGs, everyone! I'm going to look into some of the ones called out by name (especially FATE and Star Wars) and block off some time to check out Games on Demand. I made a note to look into GoD last year but never got around to it--I'll make sure to, this time!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Can't even get the site to load. :argh:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

frgildan posted:

So I just joined the groupme. This will be my first Gen Con anyone have advice for a newbie?

Don't forget to plan for snack/meal/refreshment breaks. It sounds like that's something obvious, but it's really not.

Don't stay at a table/event if you're not having fun. There's too much good gaming to be had to sit at a bad table/demo/event.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Backno posted:

I will be working at the Slugfest Games booth all day Thursday and the beginning of Friday so feel free to drop by and watch me demo Red Dragon Inn for the thousandth time.

I've always wanted to try Red Dragon Inn, but never have. Hopefully you don't mind a goon begging you for a demo. :3:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm not a big guy, but by the end of the day at Gen Con I just feel disgusting. I can't imagine getting home/to the hotel and feeling like that, going to bed, waking up and and saying, "Yep, good to go for another day," then walking out the door.

That being said--GEN CON IS ALMOST HERE! I'm thinking of making a Pokemon bingo sheet just to see how far the Pokemon GO influence goes. The free space would obviously be someone playing Pokemon GO. And then spaces for grossly overpriced Pokemon cards and themed board games to cash in on the hype, etc.

EDIT: vvvv Oh yeah, definitely. I just meant more along the lines of a blanket XX% markup on cards from smaller vendors to cash in on the current hype, like how all of the older games have skyrocketed on the used market since Pokemon GO came out.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 25, 2016

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm bringing a few big games to play over the weekend, and I'd like to setup some groups/times here ahead of time. Last year devolved into a bunch of Resistance/Codenames/Buyers Hall dickery and while that was fun, I want to do some serious gaming this year. Here's what I'm bringing, max player count, and an estimated time to play each, let me know if you're interested in any. I'll be around Wed-Sun

Kemet - 5 players - 2 hours
Blood Rage - 4 players - 1.5 hours
Arcadia Quest - 4 players - 1.5 hours/scenario, 6 hours for a full campaign
Roll for the Galaxy - 5 players - 1 hour
Keyflower - 6 players - 2 hours
Mottainai - 4 players - 30 minutes
Millenium Blades - 5 players - 2 hours
LotR LCG - 4 players - 1 hour

...plus any purchases I make while there. I'll also have some GoT LCG decks with me if anyone wants to play any time.

My friend and I would love to check out Arcadia Quest and Millenium Blades. What days/times are you thinking? We're kind of trying to fill in some late night stuff on Thursday/ morning on Friday.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Scythe, Cry Havoc, Last Friday, Seafall.

If anyone is in a position to get a copy of Seafall for me btw, I'd pay you or whatever. I'll be battling nerds to get it but if there's any especially kindhearted booth owners or VIGs kicking around...

This is the first I've heard of Last Friday. Knowing nothing about it but the theme, I desperately want it.
edit: If Last Friday really is a game that is going to sell out, if anyone is able to pick one up for me I'd be much obliged.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 31, 2016

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I haven't solidified my list yet, but I think I'll probably be bringing a lot of smaller and lightweight games. Probably not as exciting for people, but I'll be kicking around with Boss Monster + expansions, Sellswords (Triple Triad), Pixel Tactics, and a few others. We'll have some bigger games like Abyss stored at my buddy's place a couple miles away that we could grab for late-night gaming. I'm heading out early Wednesday morning for Indy, so I'll be able to post my full list tonight or tomorrow.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A pro tip for first time Gen Con people: if you shower with your clothes on, you only need to bring one set of clothes because they get clean along with you.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 3, 2016

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I didn't end up getting to meet with any goons, but my buddy and I did do True Dungeon for the first time. We got paired with a group of 4 50-55 year old dudes who have been playing for 14 years. They kitted us out and dragged us through Hardcore, which was OK but everything we did was ineffectual compared to them, obviously. We left kind of wondering if we'd do it again, after that experience.

Then I pulled a 25,000 gold token from the loot box and flipped it the next day to fully fund my Gen Con trip. 10/10

edit: I also didn't pick up everything I wanted to, but I'm excited about the Polaris RPG stuff I picked up. I snagged Red Dragon Inn, too, which has already proven to be an enormous hit with my fiance which makes it worth the price.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bottom Liner posted:

Stuff like that makes True Dungeon sound so stupid. Glad you got lucky though, that's rad. How much did it sell for?

Yeah, it made it kind of lame. They were really nice about it, but it was kind of clear they were nice because we were going along with what they wanted to do. There was another couple in the group that approached my friend and I halfway through and apologized for the way it turned out, and said it probably wasn't the best experience for us. It was a bit of a letdown to finally hit an enemy and do something like 5 damage, while the four hardcore guys were doing something like 30 damage a pop. I walked away thinking there was a cool game there, but I'd probably not do it again unless I could roll in with a full group of friends (which is unlikely, since my yearly Gen Con group is just 2-4 people).

The retail on the gold was $500 according to the websites I saw and the other people in my party (the hardcore guys were nice enough to look through all my loot and explicitly tell me what was worth something and told me so I didn't get taken on trades), but I found a reseller who was willing to meet me the next morning. I sold it for $360 cash and walked away extremely happy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Slandible posted:

I'm curious what was it like for the super serious run through? My group and another we all know decided to give it a try this year for the hell of it and found it a bit boring, even with almost a full 10 group who all knew each other.

We went for the puzzle aspect because action/LARPing sounded a bit too extreme for us, but from what I have heard, the actual combat one just adds more fighting scenarios in the same way. The "combat" in it is putting your weapon pogs onto a slider and playing shuffle board essentially. The final fight made half the people in the group just sit and do nothing because only ranged could effect it, pretty lame to make a mechanic where people are literally doing nothing. Everything about it felt pretty cheap and not worth the price. Maybe worth trying once, but I wouldn't go back and probably not recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Had a fair amount of events this year, but as usual, the best stuff is almost always the free games going on you just pull a chair up to. Probably spent more on food than games again, ate like a monster every night.

This is pretty much my experience, as well. The "super serious" run through meant that we had to decide on a set order of who attacked and stick strictly to that every single room (we did the combat version of the dungeon). They never took the time to explain to me why we had to attack in a certain order, or why I went when I did instead of earlier/later. Our final encounter wasn't ranged-only, but the second-to-last one was (the one where the Drow guide turned into a Drow Priestess/spider-woman) and as a melee fighter I spent every round taunting... and then the enemy attacked everyone but me. So I'm not really sure how my taunt mechanics works. No one explained it to me.

After reading your experience and reflecting back on my own, I think I would be really sour on my run-through if I hadn't made a bunch of money off of it. For $56 I'd rather go and buy a middle-ranger priced game from the exhibit hall and spend 4 hours playing it with my friends.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I didn't realize the Feng Shui 2 people were at Gen Con. I tried to find the FS2 core book at one of the resellers but didn't have any luck--ended up ordering it via Amazon on my drive home. I'm bummed I didn't get to stop by their booth and chat them up.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Our Drow guide sounded incredibly uninterested. I couldn't tell if she was going for an aloof/condescending Drow or if she just didn't give a poo poo and wanted to go home--because that's what it came off as.

What was the solution to the room with all of the square boards sitting on the (10? 12?) pedestals? The boards had lines on them and the clue was something about being the same from the front and back. That was the only one my group failed, which sucked.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

A bunch of friends and I are going to Gen Con 50 for my bachelor party. This'll be my third overall Gen Con, but my first time going with more than just one person. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I am very excited for Gen Con. Sometimes I am overcome with the urge to just scream out, "GEN CON!!!!!!!".

• Locked thread